ADVERTISEMENT

Potential OC candidates

pittmeister

Assistant Coach
May 26, 2010
Noah Hiles dropped some potential OC candidates. Nothing earth shattering. All these candidates have been discussed here:

Andrew Janocko – Chicago Bears QB coach
Joe Moorhead – Akron HC
Mike Shanahan – James Madison OC

Dino Babers – Former HC Syracuse
Sean Lewis – Colorado OC
Brennan Marion – UNLV OC

Chris Beatty – WR coach LA Chargers
Willy Korn – Liberty OC
Dave Warner – Former UTEP OC

I predict it won't be any of these names....

Noah Hiles dropped some potential OC candidates. Nothing earth shattering. All these candidates have been discussed here:

Joe Moorhead – Akron HC

Sean Lewis – Colorado OC
Brennan Marion – UNLV OC

Willy Korn – Liberty OC

Janocko - no chance since he's never been an OC
Moorhead - as long as he's head coach, he isn't going to take an OC job if offered
Shanahan - Possibility, though it would be interesting to see if Narduzzi would screw over both Cignettis
Babers - Unlikely due to age
Lewis - demoted from OC at Colorado for some reason that could be a factor
Marion - bridges burned - 'nuff said
Beatty - Little to no chance given his inexperience as an OC
Korn - Possibility
Warner - never heard of this guy, nor has Wikipedia

Is there a Junko we can hire? A Cignetti? Any other nepotism blood lines we can pursue?
Yup, we need a local guy, must have Pitt connections or be from the area. Nothing matters more to the true Yinzer.

would be a crony hire.

Dave Warner

Background: Perhaps the most outside name on this list, Warner did not coach in college football this past season. Warner’s last coaching stint took place at UTEP, where he was the program’s offensive coordinator in 2021 and 2022. Prior to that, Warner served as an offensive assistant at Michigan State from 2007 through 2019, where he carried the title of co-offensive coordinator from 2013 through 2018.

Why: Narduzzi worked on the same staff as Warner for nine seasons, starting in 2006 at Cincinnati and then the remaining eight years at Michigan State, all under Mark Dantonio. Although he retired from coaching last January, at the age of 63, a return isn’t out of the question. Familiarity is key for Narduzzi and his long relationship with Warner might be something he values.

Why not: As mentioned earlier, Warner is retired. There is no word on if he has any interest in getting back in the coaching world, or if he’d like to work for Narduzzi, rather alongside him as a fellow assistant.

Janocko - no chance since he's never been an OC
Moorhead - as long as he's head coach, he isn't going to take an OC job if offered
Shanahan - Possibility, though it would be interesting to see if Narduzzi would screw over both Cignettis
Babers - Unlikely due to age
Lewis - demoted from OC at Colorado for some reason that could be a factor
Marion - bridges burned - 'nuff said
Beatty - Little to no chance given his inexperience as an OC
Korn - Possibility
Warner was Dantonio's co-OC with Jim Bollman. Would be a classic Duzz move to hire him.

Not exactly the innovative type. No thanks.

Lewis intrigues me. Of course he had a dynamic QB to scheme plays for. Line play does eventually fall on the OC and the whole world knows about their OL thanks to the coach and the invention of the microphone.

Lewis intrigues me. Of course he had a dynamic QB to scheme plays for. Line play does eventually fall on the OC and the whole world knows about their OL thanks to the coach and the invention of the microphone.
Lewis is probably going to be very careful who he signs with going forward. He learned a hard lesson in Colorado - don't make another persons' mistakes, make your own.

Reactions: sonofabit
would be a crony hire.

Dave Warner

Background: Perhaps the most outside name on this list, Warner did not coach in college football this past season. Warner’s last coaching stint took place at UTEP, where he was the program’s offensive coordinator in 2021 and 2022. Prior to that, Warner served as an offensive assistant at Michigan State from 2007 through 2019, where he carried the title of co-offensive coordinator from 2013 through 2018.

Why: Narduzzi worked on the same staff as Warner for nine seasons, starting in 2006 at Cincinnati and then the remaining eight years at Michigan State, all under Mark Dantonio. Although he retired from coaching last January, at the age of 63, a return isn’t out of the question. Familiarity is key for Narduzzi and his long relationship with Warner might be something he values.

Why not: As mentioned earlier, Warner is retired. There is no word on if he has any interest in getting back in the coaching world, or if he’d like to work for Narduzzi, rather alongside him as a fellow assistant.
He’s old and he coached at MSU.
The perfect Narduzzi hire 🤣🤣

Reactions: Dan1911
I would think with portal starting to blow up the sooner we name an OC the better for losses and additions!

Won't be Beatty or Janocko because I can't see Pitt waiting till the end of the NFL season to hire someone

Reactions: gary2
Sean Lewis has been offered the job at San Diego St. Good place for him to consider. Solid program, fertile California recruiting and beautiful weather. My guess is that he will take the job.

Reactions: rooster75
we all know it’s going to be someone we don’t even think of, everyone of his hires has been that way

JJ Kitchen at the 34:00 mark talks about candidates:

Joe Moorhead - Akron HC
Sean Lewis - Colorado OC - OUT - hired as SDSU Head Coach
Mike Shanahan - James Madison OC/TE
Seth Littrell - Oklahoma Analyst - OUT - just promoted to co-OC
Bryan McClendon - Georgia WR/Passing Game Coordinator
Chris Beatty - Chargers WR
Dino Babers - former Syracuse HC

Marcus Arroyo (former Oregon OC, UNLV HC)
Jake Spavital (Cal OC)
Kevin Johns (Duke OC)
Mike Yurcich (PSU OC, former)
Scott Frost (former Nebracka OC, UCF, Oregon HC)
Bryon Ellis (Georgia Southern OC)
Gino Guidugli (ND PGC)
Glenn Thomas (Steelers Analyst)
Jay Johnson (MSU OC)
Paul Chryst (Texas OA)

Joe Moorhead – Akron HC

Sean Lewis – Colorado OC
Brennan Marion – UNLV OC

Willy Korn – Liberty OC

I sure as hell hope that it isn't any of them. How about an OC that comes from the Josh Heupel coaching tree? If that isn't appealing enough, how about someone from the Chip Kelly coaching tree? How about any OC who runs an offense that fits into the high scoring game of college football in 2024? Please just not another Pitt coaching retread or some NFL coach unless he comes from a team like the Dolphins, Chiefs or Eagles.

I sure as hell hope that it isn't any of them. How about an OC that comes from the Josh Heupel coaching tree? If that isn't appealing enough, how about someone from the Chip Kelly coaching tree? How about any OC who runs an offense that fits into the high scoring game of college football in 2024? Please just not another Pitt coaching retread or some NFL coach unless he comes from a team like the Dolphins, Chiefs or Eagles.
There was nothing wrong with the style of offense Pitt ran. The problem is they couldn't run the ball and they didn't have a QB.

Huepel's offense would be an epic failure given Pitt's personnel. None of the QBs on roster could even begin to execute that offense, with only CV having a chance.

Hell, if he wants a running game take a flier and go for Brandon Jones at Missouri. Worked his way through the Leach caching tree as Co-Coordinator under Holgerson and an OL coach under Kingsbury and Sonny Dykes.

The offensive line would certainly see an uptick.

Reactions: Las Panteras
There was nothing wrong with the style of offense Pitt ran. The problem is they couldn't run the ball and they didn't have a QB.

Huepel's offense would be an epic failure given Pitt's personnel. None of the QBs on roster could even begin to execute that offense, with only CV having a chance.
I beg to disagree with you. Pitt's offense was terrible this year and it was bad last year as well. Please don't quote me any stats because they show nothing. I am judging by what I have watched the Pitt football team do with my own two eyes and when it is compared to the offense of the elite Top 10 schools, it is not even close to being useful.
Also, if Pitt doesn't have the players to run a faster style of offense on its current roster, then they can go out and get them. Use the transfer portal, recruit them, just get it done. I would like to add that Pitt didn't have the players on its roster this year to run the current offense they had. It can be done and it must be done if Pitt ever wants to compete for a National title.

I beg to disagree with you. Pitt's offense was terrible this year and it was bad last year as well. Please don't quote me any stats because they show nothing. I am judging by what I have watched the Pitt football team do with my own two eyes and when it is compared to the offense of the elite Top 10 schools, it is not even close to being useful.
Also, if Pitt doesn't have the players to run a faster style of offense on its current roster, then they can go out and get them. Use the transfer portal, recruit them, just get it done. I would like to add that Pitt didn't have the players on its roster this year to run the current offense they had. It can be done and it must be done if Pitt ever wants to compete for a National title.
Pitt can't compete for a national title. That just isn't realistic.

Huepel is having a hard time recruiting players to run his offense. Tennessee's offense was horrible this year. Florida, Bama, Georgia, and Mizzou had little trouble disposing of the Vols.

When Pitt can recruit like an elite top 10 school, they might have an offense that looks like an elite top 10 school.

Hell, if he wants a running game take a flier and go for Brandon Jones at Missouri. Worked his way through the Leach caching tree as Co-Coordinator under Holgerson and an OL coach under Kingsbury and Sonny Dykes.

The offensive line would certainly see an uptick.
I think Jones was just the OL coach at Mizzou. Kellen Moore's brother was the OC.

I think Jones was just the OL coach at Mizzou. Kellen Moore's brother was the OC.
I know, I’m not crazy enough to believe that Pitt is in position to steal an SEC OC. But a position coach with some coordinator experience under some great offensive head coaches? Absolutely, if they can upgrade his current $575,000 contract.

Reactions: TD_6082
Cignetti Jr about to be named as the new head coach at Indiana.
Sounds like he will take several members of his staff at James Madison with him. Including OC Mike Shanahan per On3 and the Indianapolis Star

Cignetti Jr about to be named as the new head coach at Indiana.
Sounds like he will take several members of his staff at James Madison with him. Including OC Mike Shanahan per On3 and the Indianapolis Star

Narduzzi... reviewing tape.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT