ADVERTISEMENT

"Pretty awesome footage taken of the outside of Forbes Field on its last day. June 28, 1970"

why was the last day mid season?
They intended to move into 3 Rivers after the season but it was ready mid-season. The last game at Forbes was a double header against the Cubs at the All Star break.

I was not @ the last game in Forbes Field. Two years later, I was @ my high school buddies home to meet him for a running workout @ Schenley Oval.
His parents lived on a narrow hilly street in the "Run". His dad was a supervisor for Pgh. Parks Dept. I walk up to the house, and my buddy's Dad is sitting on his front porch. "He's inside, he'll be out in a few minutes" the Dad says to me. I asked my friends' Dad, How is it that no one else on this street has any grass, and you have the most beautiful lawn?" " "Walk on my grass,
he says". So I step onto the grass. My buddy's Dad says to me " Son, you're standing where the Great One stood!" I say "Whaaat?" He then explains to me that the day after the final game @ Forbes Field, he took a City truck, drove it onto the outfield grass @ Forbes, and care fully took up a piece of the turf that was in rightfield. It just blew my mind. The house was torn down about 25 years ago, I understand. I will never forget that.

Amazing footage. My first and only game there was two months earlier. Sunny afternoon, too. Stargell hit his last home run over the roof to beat the Braves and Clemente had 4 RBI.

Reactions: HOF Coach
They intended to move into 3 Rivers after the season but it was ready mid-season. The last game at Forbes was a double header against the Cubs at the All Star break.
Actually, it was intended for Three Rivers to be ready for the season opener but it wasn't finished in time.

Reactions: HOF Coach
Although I wasn't there that day, I saved the Pittsburgh Press from the following morning. Extra coverage in the paper obviously. Had the paper for decades... sadly our basement flooded 15 years ago and the paper was ruined. I remember fans tearing the place apart for souvenirs after the game. The scoreboard numbers/letters were the first to go. I still have all of the papers from the 1971 world series.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT