ADVERTISEMENT

Props to Pitt Volleyball...finished 5th out of 15 in ACC...picked 13th pre

CrazyPaco

Athletic Director
Jul 5, 2001
Pitt was picked 13th preseason in the 15 team ACC this year. They finished the season tied for 5th with NC State at 19-14 overall and 11-9 in the conference.

They played everyone tough. During an October swoon, they dropped 8 of 9 matches, but they finished the season with a complete reversal winning 7 of their last 8 including their final six. In that stretch, they swept Syracuse on the road, beat Maryland and NC State at home, and beat UVA in four on the road....those four teams are all ones they had lost to earlier in the season. The only loss in their last eight was to ACC champion and nationally ranked Duke, but they played them tough.

So Pitt finished in the top 3rd of the conference, and only one game out of 4th. I knew that 13th pick was way too low, but I didn't expect them to finish in the top third of the conference.

Pitt loses only two seniors, only one of which gets significant playing time.

I miss not having a conference tournament, because I'd like to see what can could do.

I'm pretty sold on first-year coach Dan Fisher at this point. The future looks bright.

This post was edited on 12/1 3:09 PM by CrazyPaco

Re: I wonder why.....

Most conferences don't. The Big East was more of the exception. Someone with more direct knowledge of the college volleyball scene would have to answer as to why that is the case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT