ADVERTISEMENT

Raines Decision Date

Gibby uses 3 Safeties a lot at Wvu so maybe this is a drawing point,I hope.Psu isn't even in the equation,they have no room for him.

Chryst should have offered Swanson along with Henry. Swanson is going to end up with around 3,500 career rushing yards at Toledo, and Henry has been the starting Safety at WV. They are close, and both would have helped Pitt. Chryst opened the door and Gibson busted through.

People are so dramatic about Pitt recruiting. "If Pitt doesn't get Raines it's over for Pitt and Narduzzi." I really want to get Raines, but one player isn't going to make or break this program. People need to take Aaron Rodgers' advice: R-E-L-A-X.
Amen.
This isn't basketball, where you typically have 2-4 recruits a year. One big miss there can matter. And projecting bball players at the next level is fairly accurate; football less so. Max Browne and Chris Clark were the #1 guys nationally at their positions coming out of HS, and I'm sure a lot of fans at their final 3 schools thought the world would end if they didn't get these guys.

Reactions: pittdan77
Problem is he's only getting 1 blue-blood level WPIAL recruit per year and 0 this year.
News flash: Most years, the WPIAL only has 1, sometimes two, blue blood level players.

This year? The QB from Richland qualifies. No one else does.
Raines and Kradel are good prospects, but they're next tier. Pitt got one; may or may not get the other.

News flash: Most years, the WPIAL only has 1, sometimes two, blue blood level players.

This year? The QB from Richland qualifies. No one else does.
Raines and Kradel are good prospects, but they're next tier. Pitt got one; may or may not get the other.

In 2017 there were 7 4star prospects in the WPial (Wade, Ford, Jeter, Thorpe, Adams, Lugg, Hinish) and Pitt got 1 of them. Who couldnt qualify academically and had to sit out this season.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Yep, if Pitt could get half of the top 10 WPIAL players every year, we'd be a perennial top 25 team even WITHOUT the needed improvement in recruiting from other pipelines in the eastern/midwestern US. Instead we tend to get half of the top WPIAL players #'s 20-30 and maybe 1 or 2 of the top 10.

I mean I have no clue how to do that though. I hope the Narduzzi building relationships with coaches over time helps, but I also assume today's players have all sorts of ways to communicate where the pot is being sweetened for them. Wanny was probably the closest we had to this sort of recruiting lately but he also did well (especially in the Hafley years) in New Jersey. And couldn't get a good quarterback.

OK, you're making a valid point, but he said "blue blood" players. You're talking about 4 star guys. I see a big difference.
In that list of 7, I would put Wade and Ford there as blue bloods, but not the others.

Now, some of the others may end up having better careers than than the two blue bloods. Aaron Donald ended up having a better career than...well everybody, but that doesn't mean he was a blue blood recruit.

OK, you're making a valid point, but he said "blue blood" players. You're talking about 4 star guys. I see a big difference.
In that list of 7, I would put Wade and Ford there as blue bloods, but not the others.

Now, some of the others may end up having better careers than than the two blue bloods. Aaron Donald ended up having a better career than...well everybody, but that doesn't mean he was a blue blood recruit.

The other 5 either went to PSU, Michigan or ND, which I consider Blue bloods. 2017 was an outlier though, some kids just love ND and its hard to win recruiting battles for those type of kids.

He said he wants to play safety, Pitt wants him to play linebacker, and he'll play linebacker if that's what they want him to do. That doesn't mean he's coming to pitt, it just means that's not gonna hold him back from coming here and wherever he goes he'll play what they tell him to. Personally I just think he'll be a better college linebacker anyways.

He said he wants to play safety, Pitt wants him to play linebacker, and he'll play linebacker if that's what they want him to do. That doesn't mean he's coming to pitt, it just means that's not gonna hold him back from coming here and wherever he goes he'll play what they tell him to. Personally I just think he'll be a better college linebacker anyways.
Raines is 190 if not less during the season, He would need to add 40# to play lb early next yr.....Plus learn a new positon......Some kids are impatient....That being said, to keep a 4star home,offer them what they want.

Reactions: Pittx9
If the kid is looking to play offense at wr, seeing what we have at QB, our chance with him is slim and none. I think he is headed out of town. Lets face it, the Big 12 don't play defense.

Raines is a perfect fit for the Spur position in WV's defense (a hybrid LB/Safety). Given the pass heavy Big 12, this position is a vital one. Big enough to help against the run and still cover TE's. Kyzir White is the current Spur at 6'2" 220 lbs. He will be a first or second round draft pick. Raines has the right size and athleticism to fit that position. The Steelers and most other pro teams highly value that kind of safety especially against teams like New England.

Reactions: pittdan77
Raines is a perfect fit for the Spur position in WV's defense (a hybrid LB/Safety). Given the pass heavy Big 12, this position is a vital one. Big enough to help against the run and still cover TE's. Kyzir White is the current Spur at 6'2" 220 lbs. He will be a first or second round draft pick. Raines has the right size and athleticism to fit that position. The Steelers and most other pro teams highly value that kind of safety especially against teams like New England.

thanks for the info. I think when Gibson was here we ran something similar and the defense wasn't that bad, except for the 2nd half of the Iowa game. Gibson has come into his own both as a coach and recruiter. Nice recovery from the venom directed at him from Michigan fans during his time there.

I hope Gibby does a better job tomorrow against OK St than he did in the 4th quarter against Baylor last Saturday.Of course the Offense has to help keep the D off the field.Wvu need Raines more than Pitt does in my opinion.I hope someday Holgy can tell a 4* that there is no room for him on the team but that will never happen at Wvu.

If the kid is looking to play offense at wr, seeing what we have at QB, our chance with him is slim and none. I think he is headed out of town. Lets face it, the Big 12 don't play defense.
Hello, you have played a Big 12 team the past 2 yrs and have given up over a 100 pts I believe.....So there you go....You should be in the Big 12.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT