ADVERTISEMENT

Rudolf Rudolph he's our man

I think they had a bad game plan coming into the game. I think they came out very conservative playing not to lose. And they didn’t take advantage of the coverages that the bills did give them in the first half because they were trying to run the ball Instead of passing to set up to run. With a real offensive coordinator, they could be a really really good team next year.
I thought they came out too conservative with their play calling as well. Definitely not surprising as it was the typical play-calling whether it be Canada or the current 2, but it was disappointing.

Now what will really be disappointing going forward is if Tomlin keeps these 2 next year instead of bringing in someone new.

But the way he abruptly walked off the stage after ‘the question’ makes you really wonder if Tomlin will be back next year anyway, or if he’ll take some time off or look for a change of scenery.

I think they had a bad game plan coming into the game. I think they came out very conservative playing not to lose. And they didn’t take advantage of the coverages that the bills did give them in the first half because they were trying to run the ball Instead of passing to set up to run. With a real offensive coordinator, they could be a really really good team next year.
They've come out conservative all year against better teams. They rarely push the ball downfield, and run into crowded 8 man fronts.

It doesn't matter who plays QB until they hire a competent OC.

Reactions: MajorMajors
—Steelers need a legit NFL OC, and if he were also the new Head Coach, that would be cool.

—Mason needs to find a team with a great pass-blocking OLine. He’s not the style QB Tomlin wants. Tomlin wants a QB who can run some - which is why he gave Mitch the chances he got.

—I think Kenny starts next season as the Steeler’s starter…

Go Pitt.

I see the Steelers lacking too much talent on offense to be "really really good." Yes, we can be better than what we were, but I see them lacking in too many areas to make any sort of dramatic jump.

He threw the ball 39 times against a defense that was in prevent 3/4 of the game. That's not impressive at all, and he wasn't good.

They had three scoring drives. One of 33 yards after the blocked field goal, one of 38 yards for a field goal, and then that one really nice drive that spanned late in the 3rd quarter to early in the 4th quarter. Even late in the game he was mostly throwing checkdowns. On the "drive" after the Bills went up two scores and they needed to score fast he threw a 0 yard completion, a 7 yard completion, and then an incompletion a couple yards ahead of the sticks. No throws down field. And then after the missed field goal, again, it took seven plays for him to throw anything other than a short, dump off pass, the ball to Austin that was incomplete but that he took the shot to the head for roughing the passer.

If Pickett played the way that Rudolph did those last two drives people would have spent all evening bitching about him checking down and only throwing short passes. But somehow people think that 229 yards on 39 attempts is something more than just that. After a week when he only actually threw the ball down field one time in 20 attempts.

They had three scoring drives. One of 33 yards after the blocked field goal, one of 38 yards for a field goal, and then that one really nice drive that spanned late in the 3rd quarter to early in the 4th quarter. Even late in the game he was mostly throwing checkdowns. On the "drive" after the Bills went up two scores and they needed to score fast he threw a 0 yard completion, a 7 yard completion, and then an incompletion a couple yards ahead of the sticks. No throws down field. And then after the missed field goal, again, it took seven plays for him to throw anything other than a short, dump off pass, the ball to Austin that was incomplete but that he took the shot to the head for roughing the passer.

If Pickett played the way that Rudolph did those last two drives people would have spent all evening bitching about him checking down and only throwing short passes. But somehow people think that 229 yards on 39 attempts is something more than just that. After a week when he only actually threw the ball down field one time in 20 attempts.
Bro it's because at least 50% of Steelers "fans" are nitters who never wanted Kenny to succeed. They moaned and whined about not scoring enough. They ignored how dysfunctional this team has been all year and blamed Kenny for everything and moved the goal posts for Rudy boy every game. I don't dislike Rudolph I dislike these fans who latched on to the first thing they could find so they could cast off their 2nd year QB who had a winning record and his team in contention for the division. That's why I am growing to hate Steelers fans. They act too much like spoiled entitled, delusional Nitters.

Bro it's because at least 50% of Steelers "fans" are nitters who never wanted Kenny to succeed. They moaned and whined about not scoring enough. They ignored how dysfunctional this team has been all year and blamed Kenny for everything and moved the goal posts for Rudy boy every game. I don't dislike Rudolph I dislike these fans who latched on to the first thing they could find so they could cast off their 2nd year QB who had a winning record and his team in contention for the division. That's why I am growing to hate Steelers fans. They act too much like spoiled entitled, delusional Nitters.
Here we go with the conspiracy theory.

I think your post is spot on.

I just think it's understandable that fans hold Pickett to a higher standard. Rudolph is 4th year 3rd stringer that has long been written off as a NFL starting QB, vs Kenny, the first QB taken in the draft.

Rudolph has long been written off as a viable long term solution at QB. Kenny was the first QB off the board & supposedly the new face of the franchise. Rudolph exceeded expectations for what he is perceived to be & Kenny hasn't come close to living up to a #1. Granted, not all his fault, but I really don't blame Steeler fans for expecting more.

Here we go with the conspiracy theory.
Hey Fran you remembered me. How's it hanging? How's bout dem Stillerz
Amazon Prime Video GIF by NFL On Prime

Rudolph has long been written off as a viable long term solution at QB. Kenny was the first QB off the board & supposedly the new face of the franchise. Rudolph exceeded expectations for what he is perceived to be & Kenny hasn't come close to living up to a #1. Granted, not all his fault, but I really don't blame Steeler fans for expecting more.
Again..... development and coaching matters. Stroud looks like a future hall of famer while Bryce Young looks like stir fried crap. Some of you "fans" who have the strongest opinions know nothing about football. Sometimes who drafts you makes all the difference in your career. Could you imagine being a first round QB and hearing the Browns drafted you over the last 20 years🤣. That's where QB go to die. Coaching and culture matters. Both suck in Pittsburgh. Period.

I would say, more like, 90% of Steeler fans arent Pitt fans. The Steelers have a national following. Its probably like 20% or so that are PSU fans.

Again..... development and coaching matters. Stroud looks like a future hall of famer while Bryce Young looks like stir fried crap. Some of you "fans" who have the strongest opinions know nothing about football. Sometimes who drafts you makes all the difference in your career. Could you imagine being a first round QB and hearing the Browns drafted you over the last 20 years🤣. That's where QB go to die. Coaching and culture matters. Both suck in Pittsburgh. Period.

Stroud has far more natural ability than Kenny. It's not even close.

He scored 17 at Buffalo in a playoff game.

I thought he played fairly decent aside from the pick in the end zone. And that even seemed more like an ill-advised play call with no help from DJ rather than a poorly thrown ball (or more aptly the typical Steelers play call, an short out to the sideline).

Just my opinion but I think it would be a stretch to think KP would have played better.
DJ didn't help Rudolph on that throw. He has to go get that ball. That's why DJ is what he is.

I thought they came out too conservative with their play calling as well. Definitely not surprising as it was the typical play-calling whether it be Canada or the current 2, but it was disappointing.

Now what will really be disappointing going forward is if Tomlin keeps these 2 next year instead of bringing in someone new.

But the way he abruptly walked off the stage after ‘the question’ makes you really wonder if Tomlin will be back next year anyway, or if he’ll take some time off or look for a change of scenery.
He walked off the stage because he did not have a clever "Tomlinism" answer for a difficult question.

I mentioned it during the game thread (and others mentioned it before me), Tomlin looked old during this game. He was hunched over like an old man all game long. It looked like he hadn't slept in days. Maybe the stress was getting to him.

I’ve been ripped here for being the biggest Kenny apologist. But Mason looks better, and for me it because of nothing more than NFL maturity.

The offense instantly looked better the minute Canada was fired. Kenny was 31/43 before he got hurt. But Mason was still a bit better the last few weeks.
Yep.
Moving on from Canada helped.
KP was playing better, but RM has played better than KP.
Honestly, they aren't going to do much better at qb than them.
90% of the league needs to upgrade at qb, too.
Figure out how to resign RM, let Trubiski walk, let God sort it out between KP and RM, don’t be bashful about drafting another one.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Stroud has far more natural ability than Kenny. It's not even close.
The comparison wasn't Kenny and Stroud it was Stroud and Bryce Young and the difference coaching makes between the number 1 and #2 taken QB this year. Did you even read my post or were you just in a rush to bash Kenny some more.

Mason Rudolph was a nice story but he is not the guy going forward. He had 24 yards passing (and only 8 beyond the LOS) by the time it was 14-0 Buffalo. Got bailed out by the refs on the Pat F fumble or that drive never happens either. The interception in the end zone was absolutely brutal. Team ran 5 curls (with Najee split out), nobody was open but Mason didn't look anywhere besides DJ and then threw the ball way too far inside. Totally ineffective in the 1st half.

I don't put all the blame on him, however. OL was once again ineffective. Pass catchers ran bad routes or didn't protect the ball. Poor play call choices.

Again, this is not a team that is a QB away. No QB available through trade, draft, or FA is making this mess into a champion. It's a poorly led effort by a bunch of people who want to be individuals.

Run it back with Kenny and try for 10-7 and the playoffs again but unfortunately it's probably over for him as well given the above facts. Whatever you do, do not trade for or draft a QB starter this Spring. You're just going to waste them and the pick as well.

Rudolph threw for 229 yards with 2 TDs and 1 INT. I would be thrilled if Kenny could ever do that.
He had 24 yards passing (and only 8 beyond the LOS) when the game was less than 2 scores. Buffalo took their foot off the gas up 14+. Everything he did was in garbage time and he still needed the refs to botch a Pat F fumble to give him another chance. The INT throw in the end zone effectively shut the door on the Steelers.

Also he had 190 yards until the final drive when the game was completely over. Is that your king?

He threw the ball 39 times against a defense that was in prevent 3/4 of the game. That's not impressive at all, and he wasn't good.
Yeah, he wasn't great, but it would've been a good statistical game from Pickett based on his body of work.

He had 24 yards passing (and only 8 beyond the LOS) when the game was less than 2 scores. Buffalo took their foot off the gas up 14+. Everything he did was in garbage time and he still needed the refs to botch a Pat F fumble to give him another chance. The INT throw in the end zone effectively shut the door on the Steelers.

Also he had 190 yards until the final drive when the game was completely over. Is that your king?
Nope. That's exactly why I have no confidence in Pickett right now because those stats surpass what Pickett offers on a weekly basis. Though, I do think Pickett's mobility would've helped yesterday.

Mason Rudolph was a nice story but he is not the guy going forward. He had 24 yards passing (and only 8 beyond the LOS) by the time it was 14-0 Buffalo. Got bailed out by the refs on the Pat F fumble or that drive never happens either. The interception in the end zone was absolutely brutal. Team ran 5 curls (with Najee split out), nobody was open but Mason didn't look anywhere besides DJ and then threw the ball way too far inside. Totally ineffective in the 1st half.

I don't put all the blame on him, however. OL was once again ineffective. Pass catchers ran bad routes or didn't protect the ball. Poor play call choices.

Again, this is not a team that is a QB away. No QB available through trade, draft, or FA is making this mess into a champion. It's a poorly led effort by a bunch of people who want to be individuals.

Run it back with Kenny and try for 10-7 and the playoffs again but unfortunately it's probably over for him as well given the above facts. Whatever you do, do not trade for or draft a QB starter this Spring. You're just going to waste them and the pick as well.
Yeah, they are in one step forward / one step back mode.

They seemed to have a good draft this year, and if MT bothers to hire outside the 412 they can improve with a good OC hire on that side of the ball.

But, the defense is built around TJ, Cam and Minka, and Cam is pretty much washed, Minka looks diminished and TJ is now at the 30 year old threashhold.

Defense was middle of the road this year mostly, except was good and timely with turnovers.

It is just not a sustainable paradigm to rely on a defense built around "splash plays." Particularly if you lose Cam's ability to dominate on the DL and Minka is just a guy, and how much longer can TJ be superman?

However, I would not rule out drafting a QB. Don't force it like they did with Kenny. But, absolutely scout them hard and take one wherever if you think he has a shot at being a difference maker.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Let’s say everything about Kenny P was exactly the same for the last 7 years EXCEPT that he played his college ball at Penn State instead of Pitt. 🤔
Everything would be the same, he still sucks the same, no matter where he went to school.

Reactions: republion
That there's no "hometown loyalty" to Pickett, not that there should be I guess.
There shouldn't be, I watched every snap of Kenny's Pitt career, cheered him on, cheered when he won the ACC, cheered when he was drafted, was rooting for him to start for the Steelers, but after the 24 games I've seen, it's enough, he's not it, I know they'll keep throwing him out there, but if he doesn't PRODUCE POINTS, PASS YARDS AND TDs, IMMEDIATELY at least by the middle of next season, i hope they are smart enough to drop the loyalty sh!t and move on to someone else.

Dumb asses are down 2 TDs and they get to the red zone, then predictably go run, run, 3rd and 9, incomplete pass, FG :) how about sticking a risky throw to the middle of the end zone from 20 yards away on first down? Too gutless and weak to try typical NFL offense.

Can we also take a moment to acknowledge how bad the tight ends are on this team? For recently having devoted two high draft picks (I consider anything in the first three rounds to be a high pick) to the position, they absolutely suck. I'm watching freak tight ends all over the league tear it up in the playoffs, while we're trotting out a slippery little noodle who can't block or hold onto the ball and a glorified offensive tackle. They suck.

You're probably right, but after seeing how many teams with largely the same rosters go from worst to first in this league with a new QB at the helm I do wonder if the right QB could add a little pep to everyone's step. I feel like effort and inspiration are half the battle sometimes.

But I don't follow enough NFL to even know who would be worth trading for anyway. It seems like Fields and Murray might have shown just enough for their teams to not want to deal them.

Yeah, he wasn't great, but it would've been a good statistical game from Pickett based on his body of work.

Nope. That's exactly why I have no confidence in Pickett right now because those stats surpass what Pickett offers on a weekly basis. Though, I do think Pickett's mobility would've helped yesterday.
The statistics are meaningless when you throw a game losing INT and rack up 95% of your production down 2+ scores.

This isn't fantasy football. When you're down 14-0 on the road you can't throw an INT on 2nd and goal from the 4. Just can't. That play put the game out of reach. It's not solely Mason's fault that we lost but to cite statistics in a game where we were down 2+ scores basically the entire time - in part due to the QB - just totally misses the point.

He walked off the stage because he did not have a clever "Tomlinism" answer for a difficult question.

I mentioned it during the game thread (and others mentioned it before me), Tomlin looked old during this game. He was hunched over like an old man all game long. It looked like he hadn't slept in days. Maybe the stress was getting to him.
Part of me wonders if he's thinking about retiring, maybe he wanted to wait until after next year but the coaching staff needs a total overhaul and you can't do that with a coach looking to hang it up.

Also, I think Tomlin would be a great color commentator and I could see FOX ditching Greg Olsen in a heartbeat for him.

The statistics are meaningless when you throw a game losing INT and rack up 95% of your production down 2+ scores.

This isn't fantasy football. When you're down 14-0 on the road you can't throw an INT on 2nd and goal from the 4. Just can't. That play put the game out of reach. It's not solely Mason's fault that we lost but to cite statistics in a game where we were down 2+ scores basically the entire time - in part due to the QB - just totally misses the point.
Did you even read my post? I said Rudolph wasn't great yesterday. I also don't know if Pickett throws any TDs, something he's only done in half of his NFL starts.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Yeah, they are in one step forward / one step back mode.

They seemed to have a good draft this year, and if MT bothers to hire outside the 412 they can improve with a good OC hire on that side of the ball.

But, the defense is built around TJ, Cam and Minka, and Cam is pretty much washed, Minka looks diminished and TJ is now at the 30 year old threashhold.

Defense was middle of the road this year mostly, except was good and timely with turnovers.

It is just not a sustainable paradigm to rely on a defense built around "splash plays." Particularly if you lose Cam's ability to dominate on the DL and Minka is just a guy, and how much longer can TJ be superman?

However, I would not rule out drafting a QB. Don't force it like they did with Kenny. But, absolutely scout them hard and take one wherever if you think he has a shot at being a difference maker.
I'm fine drafting a QB, I just wouldn't do it in the 1st or 2nd. They need help everywhere: the line stinks, basically everyone on defense except Minkah, TJ, Highsmith, and Benton should be replaced, their pass catchers are either lazy or crazy. Their QB room is bad, too, but they won't find someone at 22.

Take BPA with your first two picks, draft a QB after that to develop if you want, and then give Kenny a chance in 2024. If he doesn't wow you, and it's not looking good right now, you go after QB at that time. But I would not take a QB early because they're so bad everywhere and it's very unlikely that a rookie at 22 is significantly better than what we have in terms of W/L for 2024.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
You're probably right, but after seeing how many teams with largely the same rosters go from worst to first in this league with a new QB at the helm I do wonder if the right QB could add a little pep to everyone's step. I feel like effort and inspiration are half the battle sometimes.

But I don't follow enough NFL to even know who would be worth trading for anyway. It seems like Fields and Murray might have shown just enough for their teams to not want to deal them.
Fields is pretty far from being a good NFL starter IMO. The splash plays are there. Great arm, fast, huge, tough, but the problem is that he doesn't read the field at all and he takes a ton of sacks. Seriously, he has the most TIP of any QB in the NFL because he just can't figure out what he's doing, especially outside of the scripted plays. He's also a FA after 2024 (unless you pick up his $25 million option for 2025). And there are rumors that Chicago wants a 1st for him. No thanks.

I doubt the Cardinals move on from Kyler given his dead cap hit and I bet they want multiple day 1 and 2 picks from him. I also don't know how great he is. I don't watch a lot of his film but I think a lot of guys have built careers chucking prayer balls to DeAndre Hopkins and I don't know if I want to take a chance on asking that guy to succeed when his best WR is 5'10" 180lbs and is always running the wrong route.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT