ADVERTISEMENT

Rudolf Rudolph he's our man

Fields is pretty far from being a good NFL starter IMO. The splash plays are there. Great arm, fast, huge, tough, but the problem is that he doesn't read the field at all and he takes a ton of sacks. Seriously, he has the most TIP of any QB in the NFL because he just can't figure out what he's doing, especially outside of the scripted plays. He's also a FA after 2024 (unless you pick up his $25 million option for 2025). And there are rumors that Chicago wants a 1st for him. No thanks.

I doubt the Cardinals move on from Kyler given his dead cap hit and I bet they want multiple day 1 and 2 picks from him. I also don't know how great he is. I don't watch a lot of his film but I think a lot of guys have built careers chucking prayer balls to DeAndre Hopkins and I don't know if I want to take a chance on asking that guy to succeed when his best WR is 5'10" 180lbs and is always running the wrong route.

I'd only consider trading for a guy with that type of high-ceiling potential. What I definitely don't want is some veteran who was never quite good enough. Derek Carr, Jimmy G, etc. Heck, Baker Mayfield. When do those guys ever work out to the tune of actually leading a team to a championship? Seems like never, or something close to it.

I'd only consider trading for a guy with that type of high-ceiling potential. What I definitely don't want is some veteran who was never quite good enough. Derek Carr, Jimmy G, etc. Heck, Baker Mayfield. When do those guys ever work out to the tune of actually leading a team to a championship? Seems like never, or something close to it.
Ya I think the problem with Fields (like I said, I don't watch much of Kyler) is that the floor is abysmal. Yes, his top plays are as good as anyone's. Literally, he is fantastic when he's good. But his bottom plays he looks worse than Kenny: can't read the field, bad mechanics, poor accuracy, steps into pressure. The hope was that he could just improve on those bad plays a tiny bit so they don't kill you as much. But in reality, it's probably very, very hard to improve on the fundamentals of QB if you don't have them.

To use a golf analogy, Fields is like Happy Gilmore where he bombs drives for 450 yards but he can't putt. The problem is that each play costs the same number of strokes. There are very, very few QBs whose good plays are so good they more than pay for the bad. Josh Allen is the only QB I can remotely think of in that mold.

He walked off the stage because he did not have a clever "Tomlinism" answer for a difficult question.

I mentioned it during the game thread (and others mentioned it before me), Tomlin looked old during this game. He was hunched over like an old man all game long. It looked like he hadn't slept in days. Maybe the stress was getting to him.
That was a totally predictable question, he had to know it was coming at some point. He just did not care to figure out how to answer it.

I agree with your observation of him, too. His affect and even his grooming had a real IDGAF vibe to it.

Ya I think the problem with Fields (like I said, I don't watch much of Kyler) is that the floor is abysmal. Yes, his top plays are as good as anyone's. Literally, he is fantastic when he's good. But his bottom plays he looks worse than Kenny: can't read the field, bad mechanics, poor accuracy, steps into pressure. The hope was that he could just improve on those bad plays a tiny bit so they don't kill you as much. But in reality, it's probably very, very hard to improve on the fundamentals of QB if you don't have them.

To use a golf analogy, Fields is like Happy Gilmore where he bombs drives for 450 yards but he can't putt. The problem is that each play costs the same number of strokes. There are very, very few QBs whose good plays are so good they more than pay for the bad. Josh Allen is the only QB I can remotely think of in that mold.

Yeah, that's fair. I'm normally a proponent of getting a QB exclusively through the draft. But, man... that really doesn't fit the timeline of this team right now. And I use the term "timeline" to describe Watt being in his prime, basically, ha.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
That was a totally predictable question, he had to know it was coming at some point. He just did not care to figure out how to answer it.

I agree with your observation of him, too. His affect and even his grooming had a real IDGAF vibe to it.
Because it’s not game related

Can we also take a moment to acknowledge how bad the tight ends are on this team? For recently having devoted two high draft picks (I consider anything in the first three rounds to be a high pick) to the position, they absolutely suck. I'm watching freak tight ends all over the league tear it up in the playoffs, while we're trotting out a slippery little noodle who can't block or hold onto the ball and a glorified offensive tackle. They suck.
You don't have to wait for the playoffs. TEs tear it up all over the league all season, at least in comparison to our TEs.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Not sure what that has to do with it.

They get not game related questions all the time, and in this instance it was after their season had ended.

That said, your response was an example of an answer he could have have made.

Instead of acting like a child and walking off.

• Love
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Yeah, that's fair. I'm normally a proponent of getting a QB exclusively through the draft. But, man... that really doesn't fit the timeline of this team right now. And I use the term "timeline" to describe Watt being in his prime, basically, ha.
So the question that should be asked is whether the Steelers should move Watt. I think you can still get a very nice haul for him at this point, but waiting another year is probably a year too long.

They get not game related questions all the time, and in this instance it was after their season had ended.

Tomlin had to know that someone was popping that question the minute they were done and a simple, "I'll have a conversation about my future with the right people when everyone thinks that needs to happen," or some corny version of the same and that would have been the end of it.

I didn’t watch the whole presser -
But I’d guess he stated only talk about the game before ?
Just guessing

Tomlin doesn’t make his own contract - that’s an Omar or Rooney question

So the question that should be asked is whether the Steelers should move Watt. I think you can still get a very nice haul for him at this point, but waiting another year is probably a year too long.
His dead cap goes from $18.7mil to $9.4mil in his last year
I mean - if you get enough high quality draft picks , maybe

The comparison wasn't Kenny and Stroud it was Stroud and Bryce Young and the difference coaching makes between the number 1 and #2 taken QB this year. Did you even read my post or were you just in a rush to bash Kenny some more.

Or maybe Stroud is just that much better than Young. Let's see how they both perform next year.

Tomlin had to know that someone was popping that question the minute they were done and a simple, "I'll have a conversation about my future with the right people when everyone thinks that needs to happen," or some corny version of the same and that would have been the end of it.

Just a simple, "we just lost a playoff game, I haven't given something like that any thought at all, we'll deal with it sometime in the future" would have been sufficient.

Also, I think Tomlin would be a great color commentator and I could see FOX ditching Greg Olsen in a heartbeat for him.

Fox has already ditched Olsen for Tom Brady (unless he changes his mind between now and the start of next season), and they aren't ditching Brady for anyone.

For you. He did what he would have done. When you coach the Steelers do you and we'll discuss it on message boards.

Well actually he has answered questions similar to that in the past, and has answered them similarly to what I said, so you could argue that him doing me would have been much more in line with what is normally him doing him.

It's all about having fun.

Or in today's case, killing time until it's time to leave for the basketball game.
Exactly 💯. Bundle up buddy. Jack Frost is nipping!
Jack Frost Chill GIF by Disney+

I didn’t watch the whole presser -
But I’d guess he stated only talk about the game before ?
Just guessing

Tomlin doesn’t make his own contract - that’s an Omar or Rooney question
If that is what you believe, why did he not just say that?

OC does matter... Look how much awkward Hurts looks this season without last year's OC... Look at how much better Allen and the Bill's O looked this season after moving on from their OC earlier this year... There are other examples. Chargers are essentially wasting Herbert right now.

And, now, look how Goff and Baker have played in their current situation with extremely capable OCs when previously looking like they couldn't start for anyone...

DJ didn't help Rudolph on that throw. He has to go get that ball. That's why DJ is what he is.
I am no fan of DJ by any means, but watching that play from the snap, the DB let him past him and trailed him from the very beginning, I assume because he knew what the route was going to be.

So, it wasn't a 50/50 type situation, the DB had position and was looking for the ball the whole time.

Rudolph has played as well as you could expect from him, but that was 100% on him.

A really good receiver doesn't let the db inside that easily.
The DB let him past him and trailed him from the snap, to me looked like he knew what the route was going to be. I am no fan of DJs at all, but that one wasn't on him, imo. DB had position to get to it all along.

Every coach gets asked the question. Every player near the end gets asked the question. MCCarthy was asked. The coach in Philly was asked. Cam Heyward was asked about his situation. Every one of them took the questions gracefully and in stride. Why the most articulate man (Tomlin) in the industry chose not to answer the question was very peculiar to me.

OC does matter... Look how much awkward Hurts looks this season without last year's OC... Look at how much better Allen and the Bill's O looked this season after moving on from their OC earlier this year... There are other examples. Chargers are essentially wasting Herbert right now.

And, now, look how Goff and Baker have played in their current situation with extremely capable OCs when previously looking like they couldn't start for anyone...
Actually I saw stats that said Allen’s stats are no better but he’s turning the ball over less

Goff and Baker benefited from having more talent to throw to as well as better OCs.

But to your point the OC for sure matters

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Just a simple, "we just lost a playoff game, I haven't given something like that any thought at all, we'll deal with it sometime in the future" would have been sufficient.
Yep. The guy is prepped by Burt Lauton. He also knows what questions are going to be asked before the Steeler PR team preps him. And he’s no dummy or a spring chicken. Take the time he was asked about “boo city” after Narduzzi botched his answer about the fans. Tomlin gave the most brilliant answer anyone could give.

But Monday was easy. You simply say “we just played a game and I have guys in the locker room who are all hurting. I’m thinking about them, not me right now. “. That’s what McCarthy said.

Yep. The guy is prepped by Burt Lauton. He also knows what questions are going to be asked before the Steeler PR team preps him. And he’s no dummy or a spring chicken. Take the time he was asked about “boo city” after Narduzzi botched his answer about the fans. Tomlin gave the most brilliant answer anyone could give.

But Monday was easy. You simply say “we just played a game and I have guys in the locker room who are all hurting. I’m thinking about them, not me right now. “. That’s what McCarthy said.
Yeah for a guy who has the gift of bullshit that was odd. However in the end it’s much ado about nothing because mediocre Mike still has the national media fellating him

Yeah for a guy who has the gift of bullshit that was odd. However in the end it’s much ado about nothing because mediocre Mike still has the national media fellating him
He does. But even that is starting to wane. A tiny bit.

The DB let him past him and trailed him from the snap, to me looked like he knew what the route was going to be. I am no fan of DJs at all, but that one wasn't on him, imo. DB had position to get to it all along.

But had DJ just stepped up and inside and used his body to seal him off, that's a TD. A really good WR would have made that play.

He does. But even that is starting to wane. A tiny bit.
Honestly, I think some of the media like to see the Steelers where they're at and play up the "accomplishments" so it's unpopular to question Tomlin's playoff failure. Kind of like we root for other schools to hold on to a coach that can't win big games. Feels very similar.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
But had DJ just stepped up and inside and used his body to seal him off, that's a TD. A really good WR would have made that play.
LOL, his momentum was carrying him to the sideline and the ball was thrown low and inside. There isn't anyone alive who can change directions like that. Even if he could, it would have been OPI to "seal him off" from behind because he would have had to go through the defender to do that.

LOL, his momentum was carrying him to the sideline and the ball was thrown low and inside. There isn't anyone alive who can change directions like that. Even if he could, it would have been OPI to "seal him off" from behind because he would have had to go through the defender to do that.

Imo, I think he did a poor job on his route. The ball was thrown low and inside. I agree with that. It was also floated a bit and didn't have a ton of velocity. But DJ was already hugging the sideline. Where do you think the ball was supposed to go? Unless it was supposed to go over the top to the back corner of the end zone, don't you run your route knowing you're going to be coming back toward the ball to seal off the defender to make the catch. Otherwise, you're assuming coaches are expecting Rudolph to throw the ball outside on a rope with velocity and pen point accuracy, and DJ to make the catch with both feet in bounds. That wasn't happening.

Imo, I think he did a poor job on his route. The ball was thrown low and inside. I agree with that. It was also floated a bit and didn't have a ton of velocity. But DJ was already hugging the sideline. Where do you think the ball was supposed to go? Unless it was supposed to go over the top to the back corner of the end zone, don't you run your route knowing you're going to be coming back toward the ball to seal off the defender to make the catch. Otherwise, you're assuming coaches are expecting Rudolph to throw the ball outside on a rope with velocity and pen point accuracy, and DJ to make the catch with both feet in bounds. That wasn't happening.
If you want to argue it was a poor route, that's fine. It's been an issue at times.

I'm not sure why the coaches wouldn't assume that on a sideline route, Rudolph has to throw the ball outside, on a rope with velocity, and pin point accuracy. Right up until Canada got fired, that's what a lot of the passing plays looked like in that offense. Regardless, that pass has to be up and away from the defender. Or right at the bonehead without a shirt on in the third row. You can't ever risk a pick in that situation. Ended up being at least a ten point swing.

That throw has to be on a rope. There's no other option. There's no room, or time, to hang a lollipop out there. It was mostly on Rudolph, and the other blame goes on the guy asking him to throw that pass.

It wasn't supposed to be thrown it was forced.

First the route was an outside hitch, so his momentum was moving outside. But, even if he was superhuman enough to completely change his momentum 180 degrees in a split second, he still wouldn't have been able to get to the ball because the db was between him and it.

Last camera really shows it.

Reactions: pittdan77
First the route was an outside hitch, so his momentum was moving outside. But, even if he was superhuman enough to completely change his momentum 180 degrees in a split second, he still wouldn't have been able to get to the ball because the db was between him and it.

Last camera really shows it.

Not sure how you blame Johnson on this one. It would have been tough for sure to break up.

Rudy was looking at him the entire way. (something people rip KP for). The throw was way too far inside and perhaps a tad late. They had MROB on the right by the way one on one and it looked like he was coming open.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT