ADVERTISEMENT

Seven ACC schools working together to break Grant of Rights

At a time when the largest owner of regional sports networks in the county is in bankruptcy because they can't pay their bills because of all the subscribers they have lost and when the local RSN here in Pittsburgh and a few other cities has basically told the local teams that they have contracts with that they want to give them not just their rights, but their whole networks to the teams FOR FREE because that's cheaper for them than continuing to pay for their broadcasting right because of all the subscribers they have lost, SMF tells us all that cable is going to be supreme for the next 30 years.

Of all the moronic, ridiculous predictions he has made on this board, that one right there may just be the dumbest.

Not supreme. But its going to be around another 30 years or so. We had this same conversation 10 years ago.

How does UVA give the B10 the DC market when they already have it with Maryland?

Maryland gives the B10 a small piece of the DC area including suburbs. UVa gives them another small piece of DC and its suburbs in very populated Northern Virginia. That said, UVa will be in the SEC with North Carolina, not the Big Ten.

OK guys, I want to bump this thread 10 years from now. Who is brave enough to say UVa will NOT be in the SEC or Big Ten? No one I bet because you know I'm right. They are the flagship school in a very populated state, 2.5 hours from the nation's capital. They're in.

Maryland gives the B10 a small piece of the DC area including suburbs. UVa gives them another small piece of DC and its suburbs in very populated Northern Virginia. That said, UVa will be in the SEC with North Carolina, not the Big Ten.

OK guys, I want to bump this thread 10 years from now. Who is brave enough to say UVa will NOT be in the SEC or Big Ten? No one I bet because you know I'm right. They are the flagship school in a very populated state, 2.5 hours from the nation's capital. They're in.
UVA may go to another conference at some point, but they are not considered the flagship school by the people who live in Virginia.

When it comes to major college sports over the past 30-40 years in the DMV it's UMD Athletics and Georgetown basketball. They're the only 2 that are going to get regular coverage - not UVA.

When it comes to media coverage, Navy football has as much of presence as UVA football does in the DMV - and that isn't much.

Sometimes, the best move is to be the aggressor and go for it! Set your own destiny!
Wow! I haven't heard that quote from General George Armstrong Custer since my American History class in high school.

wp-content_uploads_2014_03_custer-Yohn-1930_2.jpg

Reactions: CCHS82

What happened to your crowing about VT?

Are you predicting SEC or B10? Seems you claimed one and then claimed both.

UVA may go to another conference at some point, but they are not considered the flagship school by the people who live in Virginia.
They certainly are considered the VA flagship around the DMV. And both UVA and VT get local sports coverage in the DMV. Not as much as Maryland, but substantial.

They certainly are considered the VA flagship around the DMV. And both UVA and VT get local sports coverage in the DMV. Not as much as Maryland, but substantial.
They get the same amount of football coverage as Navy. I lived in Alexandria and Arlington. VT was the most popular football team. UVA is the wine and cheese school.

They get the same amount of football coverage as Navy. I lived in Alexandria and Arlington. VT was the most popular football team.
Not really. More than Navy. VT is more popular football than UVA. UVA more so in hoops. UVA and VT also get hoops coverage. Mostly depends who is winning. I've lived right in DC for the last decade.

Not really. More than Navy. VT is more popular football than UVA. UVA more so in hoops. UVA and VT also get hoops coverage. Mostly depends who is winning. I've lived right in DC for the last decade.
We are on the football board and football drives the bus. It would appear we agree that VT football is number 1. When VT is winning their fans are very arrogant in a similar manner to Pen St. I wasn’t referring to basketball, but that depends on who is winning.

What happened to your crowing about VT?

Are you predicting SEC or B10? Seems you claimed one and then claimed both.

UVa - SEC 100% sure on that.

The B10 taking VT isnt a sure thing but yes, I will predict that because I think these conferences grow to 20-24 teams.

Not supreme. But its going to be around another 30 years or so. We had this same conversation 10 years ago.

Ten years ago approximately 100 million people were pay tv (cable and satellite) customers. Last year that number was approximately 65 million.

Everyone seems to be able to see where this is headed. Except for you.

I don't think much else is going to happen. The B1G and SEC are fine were they are at and the PAC 12 and ACC can't do anything without losing money. The wild card is the Big 12 and I think they are waiting to see what happens in the PAC 12 and ACC before making a move.

If something does happen I think the Big 12 expands west or east but not both. If they the Big 12 goes west they will try to pull in Utah, Colorado, Arizona State, and Arizona. If that happens and the ACC is dissolved you will see Florida State and Clemson going to the SEC and North Carolina and Virginia going to the B1G. The remaining 10 schools would form a new conference like the Big East did and in the future could add schools for a championship game (Memphis, Tulane, South Florida, or Temple).

If the Big 12 goes east then they pick up Miami, N.C. State, Pitt, and Georgia Tech. The remaining 6 schools form another conference with some of the stronger Group of 5 teams to form a conference.

I don't think much else is going to happen. The B1G and SEC are fine were they are at and the PAC 12 and ACC can't do anything without losing money. The wild card is the Big 12 and I think they are waiting to see what happens in the PAC 12 and ACC before making a move.

If something does happen I think the Big 12 expands west or east but not both. If they the Big 12 goes west they will try to pull in Utah, Colorado, Arizona State, and Arizona. If that happens and the ACC is dissolved you will see Florida State and Clemson going to the SEC and North Carolina and Virginia going to the B1G. The remaining 10 schools would form a new conference like the Big East did and in the future could add schools for a championship game (Memphis, Tulane, South Florida, or Temple).

If the Big 12 goes east then they pick up Miami, N.C. State, Pitt, and Georgia Tech. The remaining 6 schools form another conference with some of the stronger Group of 5 teams to form a conference.

I keep hearing about these "Four Corners Schools."

1. If the P12 broke up, why would the B12 even want Utah? BYU has a large following in SLC/Utah. Do they really need 2 Utah teams? How about San Diego State or UNLV instead? Even Tulane, Memphis, Florida Atlantic, etc.

2. Would they really need both Arizona schools?

That's a lot less than 100 million. In nine years.

If they lose customers like that over the next three decades they'll have negative subscribers in less than 20.
But how many of the 35 million that dumped cable and satellite now subscribe to youtube tv, fubo, sling , etc ? Those streaming services arent much different than cable/satellite just delivering the same content in a slightly different and cheaper (maybe) way.

But how many of the 35 million that dumped cable and satellite now subscribe to youtube tv, fubo, sling , etc ? Those streaming services arent much different than cable/satellite just delivering the same content in a slightly different and cheaper (maybe) way.

But that's the point. All those different services don't have all the sports channels, and they have packages that exclude some of the sports channels that they do have.

For instance if you live in Pittsburgh and you gave up Comcast and switched to Sling or to YouTube TV, you now no longer have access to AT&T Pittsburgh. And there are a lot of people who made that switch, who used to be paying for AT&T, who are happy that they no longer are paying for it. That's the reason that Diamond Sports is in bankruptcy. That's the reason that AT&T went to the Pittsburgh teams and the teams in the other markets they operate in and told the teams that they would give them their whole local network for free if they would just let them off the hook for any future payments.

30 years from now there will still be an ESPN. But people aren't going to be getting it as part of a cable package. They are going to be getting it by buying it direct from ESPN. And it's not going to be cheaper. In fact it's not even going to be close.

You are correct, but how long until the streaming platforms start to dictate terms to the schools. We have seen it with TNF with the NFL. The ACC can break up in 2036 for all I care as long as PITT gets a streaming contract. I know I would pay $20/month to watch PITT sports and there is probably 200,000 people like me. That’s $48 million per year.

Reactions: 303vND and latz66
FOX is the majority owner of the BIG network. They didn't do it on their own. You needed a partner to be successful and get distribution. The reason the ACC doesn't have the eyeballs the SEC or BIG does is because it doesn't have the giant fanbases those schools do.

Pac12 went on it's own and was an utter failure and still causing them issues.
It didn’t start out this way. Fox Entertainment Group was originally a minority owner. Not Fox Sports. Only through sales and mergers after the network became successful did Fox Corp and Fox Sports become majority owner.

You are correct, but how long until the streaming platforms start to dictate terms to the schools. We have seen it with TNF with the NFL. The ACC can break up in 2036 for all I care as long as PITT gets a streaming contract. I know I would pay $20/month to watch PITT sports and there is probably 200,000 people like me. That’s $48 million per year.
lol, you really think there are 200,000 people that would pay $20/month to watch Pitt? Because our attendance, tv ratings, and bowl desirability would beg to differ.

Even in this magical world of fiction, Pitt would be lucky to get half of that after production and distribution fees.

There aren't 200K people that would pay to watch Pitt on TV. That is the problem. There is a difference between the Pittsburgh diaspora turning in on services they already receive and those that would proactively seek Pitt out and pay for that content. I'm not sure Pitt would get 100K to sign up to pay 20K a month.

Reactions: cbpitt2
In some ways, sure. In others, not so much.

Doesn't change the point that the notion that cable television is going to be the dominate form of the media for the next 30 years is just dumb. It's a lot more likely that cable television won't exist in any form in 30 years than it is still the predominant way that people consume media.
That's true. Cable most likely won't exist.

It's just that streaming will exist, and basically operate the same cable does now.

I came to that conclusion by this article:

I don’t know how accurate it is and it’s dated, but the map is based on Vivid Seats' 2019 sales data, excluding bowl games and neutral-site games.

Point is that Clemson may not have enough juice to alter the TV payout if they switched to the SEC. Maybe the Big Ten would be interested, if the TV money increases.
I can go ahead and confirm it's not accurate.

Clemson probably won't increase the SEC's payout, but it's simply inaccurate to say that South Carolina is more popular than Clemson in the state. That probably hasn't been true since the 30s.

It's just that streaming will exist, and basically operate the same cable does now.

Yeah, except for that whole thing where millions of people that don't want sports channels won't be paying for them any more.

And hey, what's a few billion dollars among friends?

There aren't 200K people that would pay to watch Pitt on TV. That is the problem. There is a difference between the Pittsburgh diaspora turning in on services they already receive and those that would proactively seek Pitt out and pay for that content. I'm not sure Pitt would get 100K to sign up to pay 20K a month.
I have data that says otherwise.

Currently, cable packages subsidize the high fees ESPN demands. This model is on life-support and will likely be gone in 2 years max. It will be strictly pay-per-view going forward. And when Disney sees folks not willing to pay $$ for sports, the big fallout will occur.
B10/SEC thinking they will grab revenue on par w/ the NFL is wishful thinking. More like NHL level money. And again… when this all goes down, the fallout will truly begin.

Yeah, except for that whole thing where millions of people that don't want sports channels won't be paying for them any more.

And hey, what's a few billion dollars among friends?
Except for the fact that these streaming services are starting to move to the same model that cable had, packaging "channels" together.

Currently, cable packages subsidize the high fees ESPN demands. This model is on life-support and will likely be gone in 2 years max. It will be strictly pay-per-view going forward. And when Disney sees folks not willing to pay $$ for sports, the big fallout will occur.
B10/SEC thinking they will grab revenue on par w/ the NFL is wishful thinking. More like NHL level money. And again… when this all goes down, the fallout will truly begin.
The problem, the cable model is just migrating over to streaming.

Except for the fact that these streaming services are starting to move to the same model that cable had, packaging "channels" together.

Yep, that's why ESPN is gaining subscribers by the millions every year.

Huh? What? That isn't what's actually happening? Really?

Wow, who knew?

I have data that says otherwise.
There aren't even 9K people willing to join the Panther Club for $50 a year.

The Longhorn Network was a miserable failure, and you think there are enough Pitt fans to support a dedicated streaming service? Plus you have to subtract out the costs of producing the content. And you wouldn't have rights to stream any away games. There is no way Pitt would clear what it is currently getting from the ACC. If this was feasible, there'd be a lot more independents. There are probably less than 10 schools that could do something like that and make decent money, and none of them are in the ACC, so they'd all lose money by doing it..

Last edited:
The problem, the cable model is just migrating over to streaming.
What you're missing here is there is no restriction on who you can buy service from. It's not based on who owns the line or fiber.

Instead of one or two options, there are 10 or 15. This creates competition and more options for various packages.

It's a similar model with more granularity, because that's what people are used. It won't stay that way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT