ADVERTISEMENT

Sneaky upgrade at QB

Apr 26, 2012
Most of the late Narduzzi recruiting focus has been on defensive players, but Pitt fixed their QB depth/talent problem in a big way in the last 10 days of the recruiting period.

Peterman is an older, seasoned 4-star veteran with two years left, and can play right away. He was good enough to win the starting job at UT, before getting hurt. He didn't come here to only be the backup. The kid will compete for the starting job. We now have TWO ready to go QBs, which is one more than we had last year, and one more than I thought we would have this year.

For the future, we got Dinucci, who I think was the steal of all recruits in the area. He's a QB with great touch and accuracy, with good wheels, a good head, and a winner. With time, and the right coaching, this kid could well become a future star.

I concur. Nice overall depth now too.

Voytik RS JR
Peterman RS JR
Bertke RS FR
DiNuccI FR

While I expect Voytik to win the starting job, I'm glad a real competition will likely take place. I think, of all the quarterbacks on the roster, Voytik's most likely to start while Bertke's the most intriguing prospect. But, yes, no denying the position has been upgraded and everyone's got to feel much better now than they did when it was just Voytik and Bertke.

Again, I think Bertke will be a big part of the competition too. Expecting a three man race that's eventually won by Voytik.

I'm happy that we got Peterman, but I'm not sure he is "seasoned"

He's thrown the ball 43 times as a college student and completed 20 of them. I'm not posting this to be a jerk or nit picky. I just think it is unfair to him to be labeled as a seasoned vet. It sets a potentially unfair expectation on him. I agree with the rest of your post.

He's insurance if Chad gets hurt. That allows DiNucci to RS,

W/o forcing Bertke into action. (Who knows, maybe he's got some ability.)
Nathan is known to Chaney, and is a low-risk addition. I like it. We dodged a bullet last season with Chad...the kid is tough as nails, but Anderson would have been a problem.

Re: I'm happy that we got Peterman, but I'm not sure he is "seasoned"

he's been in a major college program for three years, competing, learning and practicing, that's a lot more seasoning than any kid coming out of H.S. has. The flip side is that if you;ve been in that program 3 years and have been passed over by not one but 2-3 underclassmen, the writing is on the wall that you probably aren't a power 5 caliber starting QB.

Re: I'm happy that we got Peterman, but I'm not sure he is "seasoned"

I have to disagree with your "writing is on the wall" statement. Kids "get it" at different ages/stages of their careers. This kid prepared to start and started against Alabama. That's a hell of a lesson right there - but also a situation which may have hurt his confidence (although I understand he ended up getting injured in that game?).

Anyway, I just don't agree with writing off a kid who still has 2 years of eligibility left - especially if you look at the skills he shows on his highlight video. Remember how Pistol Pete didn't play hardly at all until his senior season - then led Pitt to a surprisingly nice season in Walt's first year.

Go Pitt.

I know the Pete Gonzalez is everyone's feel good turn-around story. But at the end of the day, much like Pitt has been over the past 4 years...the season ended at 6-6=.500. From my perspective, I hope we never see the Petermen kid take a snap at Pitt...as that will mean that Chad Voytik does not get hurt and plays well for the next two seasons. Hail to Pitt!

I usually don't say much negative about Pitt, but personally i think we could have done betterevn late.
Peterman came because he knows the coordinator and wouldn't be hear had chrsyt not left or someone else got hired.
And just because he has played at Tenesse ( here we go with that SEC school crap again) doesn't mean he is a good player. Actually doing the last four years in which he was a player and partial starter Pitt's records was better than theirs except this year. . And people complain about that yet rejoice in getting their back up?
And for the record Michigan just got atransfer from Houston who (stastically) is so much better than peterman ? So why are we happy ?
And i don't think Dinucci is going to be everything pople here think he will be. Many kids break records and don't pan out in college. And if he is that good and such a steal why didn't anyone besides Pitt try to steal him from the Ivy league. Cmon even the country boys of PSU didn't offer. Doesn't that say something.
Think we are getting too excited about nothing. Lets be happy about voytik and bertke and hope coach narduzzi can bring in a better qb next year, because i for one am not excited baout his two 2015 qb recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT