ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers Free Agency

Drew1208

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Sep 20, 2018
Signed another MLB
Landon Roberts.

So that's two MLBs recently and we still have to draft one.
Both seem good against the run and terrible against the pass.
But both seem to be significantly more splashy than what we had.

Roberts is good at getting to the QB and TFL.
We seem to be addressing almost every need in FA.

I thought I read that Holcomb was respectable in coverage.
I don’t know anything about him. But heard yesterday in 6 out of the 7 games he played last year he was on the field for every snap. Could be that the backups were even worse in coverage. I have zero idea. But maybe he does a decent job. We shall see.

Elandon Roberts was pretty good on the Dolphins. He's so much better against the run than Bush. Holcomb is more well rounded - he can at least play the pass a little bit. Team captain in Washington. Above-average athlete. Both of these guys are good tacklers. Both have a lot of experience in the NFL.

I like both signings. I think Roberts and Holcomb will most likely be 80-90% of Bush and Jacks overall production for half the cost. Pass defense in the middle of the field will be weak. Will have to get more pressure up the middle to mitigate.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Elandon Roberts was pretty good on the Dolphins. He's so much better against the run than Bush. Holcomb is more well rounded - he can at least play the pass a little bit. Team captain in Washington. Above-average athlete. Both of these guys are good tacklers. Both have a lot of experience in the NFL.

I like both signings. I think Roberts and Holcomb will most likely be 80-90% of Bush and Jacks overall production for half the cost. Pass defense in the middle of the field will be weak. Will have to get more pressure up the middle to mitigate.

You don't think they'll be a successful as Jack and Bush were as a duo? That would be pretty disappointing, even at a lesser cost.

You don't think they'll be a successful as Jack and Bush were as a duo? That would be pretty disappointing, even at a lesser cost.

I think they'll be much better against the run and worse against the pass. Pass plays are more efficient/productive so I weigh them pretty highly.

Hopefully we draft some CBs who are good in man to man coverage and just let them man up and play Roberts downhill all game.

I guess we'll draft a coverage LB?

0 splash plays for Spillane, Mack and Bush if I recall correctly. That means no sacks, no ints, no fumbles forced, and no fumbles recovered. If I’m correct, I’m wondering if that’s ever been done before by a unit, ever.

Don’t know how many TFL’s they had.

So these two guys cost less?

I think they'll be much better against the run and worse against the pass. Pass plays are more efficient/productive so I weigh them pretty highly.

Hopefully we draft some CBs who are good in man to man coverage and just let them man up and play Roberts downhill all game.

I guess we'll draft a coverage LB?

Maybe. Or re-sign Edmunds and use that three-safety package on passing downs/formations.

Reactions: West Coast Panther
Maybe. Or re-sign Edmunds and use that three-safety package on passing downs/formations.
That’s what I was thinking. Can’t believe he’s still out there unsigned after the year he had. In a cash strapped world, mediocre yet effective guys like Edmunds are a commodity. But maybe he’s still out there because he’s rightfully looking for a better payday and that hasn’t been presented yet.

I would grab Addison or Flowers @ 32
Downs or Hyatt @ 49
DJ will be gone in 2 years anyway, and yes Austin is a very unknown. Those small guys don't last .
Kenny was great at Pitt with all the receivers he had and was able to spread the ball around.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Something else about these signings that I think is overlooked: both ILBs were named captains on their former teams. For a locker room that has lacked maturity in previous seasons, an increased level of veteran leadership can be huge. Could also be good mentors for Robinson, who reminds me a lot of Vince Williams.

The guy I wanted at nose tackle just signed with the Bears, Andrew Billings.

I sure hope the Steelers don’t think they’re good now and wait to fill remaining holes in the draft.

Austin is a 4th round pick. He’s 5-8 170lbs and is coming off an injury in which he missed the entire year.

they drafted him for a reason. if you're looking at it from the steelers perspective, they have invested in an asset and will do everything they can to make it work.

i'm not saying they don't need help at WR - i'm just saying that their viewpoint is different from most fans.

The fact that they haven't done anything at the position yet tells me they are going to draft a WR fairly early on.

With the QBs in the AFC, I'm not sure it matters how good the coverage is. If they have time they are getting to ball into somebody's hands. Probably better to focus on getting to the QB before he can do damage.

Reactions: ShipofFools
I would grab Addison or Flowers @ 32
Downs or Hyatt @ 49
DJ will be gone in 2 years anyway, and yes Austin is a very unknown. Those small guys don't last .
Kenny was great at Pitt with all the receivers he had and was able to spread the ball around.
Addison and Flowers are known?

Don't want people blaming Pickett for the O struggles next season if they dont get him something of worthy on the offensive side of the ball.

Don't want people blaming Pickett for the O struggles next season if they dont get him something of worthy on the offensive side of the ball.
Need 1st 2 Steeler picks to be offensive linemen. That's where games are won. Pick 32 is a freebie for corner, dline or WR.

Need 1st 2 Steeler picks to be offensive linemen. That's where games are won. Pick 32 is a freebie for corner, dline or WR.
#1 priority is LT , but I just find it hilarious that almost 99% of Steeler fans want defense , defense, defense when they are already overpaid and getting torched by Buffalo and Cincy on a regular basis and wondering why they lost because we can't keep up.

#1 priority is LT , but I just find it hilarious that almost 99% of Steeler fans want defense , defense, defense when they are already overpaid and getting torched by Buffalo and Cincy on a regular basis and wondering why they lost because we can't keep up.
Agreed - LT must be addressed by either bringing in a good FA LT or picking one in the 1st round.

Agreed - LT must be addressed by either bringing in a good FA LT or picking one in the 1st round.
i never cared about steelers FA like this in a long time, I think the new front office and 8 have given me a new hunger to win.
Get the dude a top WR too. he needs to bulk up and be protected first.

You have a big contradiction in your post there. Yeah the defense is overpaid but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have its share of deficiencies.

And you’re even acknowledging it….getting torched on a regular basis…..but we shouldn’t try to correct that deficiency because they’re already overpaid????

You have a big contradiction in your post there. Yeah the defense is overpaid but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have its share of deficiencies.

And you’re even acknowledging it….getting torched on a regular basis…..but we shouldn’t try to correct that deficiency because they’re already overpaid????
good try at high jacking a nice thread.

DB

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT