ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers Free Agency

The Steelers' defense is fine. Some fans consider a position a "hole" if it isn't filled by an All-Pro player. Even the Steelers of the late-2000's weren't loaded at every position on defense. Plus, I keep hearing people discounting Watt's absence for most of last season and saying "the defense is bad without Watt." Yes, your defense is going to take a hit when you're missing one of the league's top 5 defensive players. He makes as much money as he does because he impacts basically every snap. Take AD away from the Rams' defense and they would likely sputter, as well.

Reactions: TheChair
Another stupid reply, you’re doubling down big time DB
images

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
The guy I wanted at nose tackle just signed with the Bears, Andrew Billings.

I sure hope the Steelers don’t think they’re good now and wait to fill remaining holes in the draft.
That’s the position that they need. Doesn’t matter who the inside linebackers are, if your inside linebackers are constantly having to deal with gyards and centers. even Ray Lewis needed the tackles to make sure guys didn’t get on him. Add the second level. Look at those years when Baltimore didn’t have a nose tackle and Ray Lewis didn’t quite look like Ray Lewis, but every Steeler fans is expecting the linebackers to look like the second coming of Levon Kirkland, when nose tackle has been deficient position for years

That’s the position that they need. Doesn’t matter who the inside linebackers are, if your inside linebackers are constantly having to deal with gyards and centers. even Ray Lewis needed the tackles to make sure guys didn’t get on him. Add the second level. Look at those years when Baltimore didn’t have a nose tackle and Ray Lewis didn’t quite look like Ray Lewis, but every Steeler fans is expecting the linebackers to look like the second coming of Levon Kirkland, when nose tackle has been deficient position for years
Where's Casey Hampton and Joel Steed when you need them. True post.

I was hoping Jordan Davis would fall to them last year. As it turned out we did fine with our first round pick.

Steelers showing they want to be physical up front with the moves this offseason. Keep an eye on the bullies who play tackle in the draft.

its clear that MT is committed to the hybrid DL concept for better or for worse.
That said, they did clearly upgrade the ILB unit.

Love this Seumolo signing. We are getting really strong down the middle. Upgrades and depth.
Now onto the tackles.
I think the line is suddenly a strength for this team. I think the two biggest questions now are:

1) Do you move Okorafor to LT and draft someone like Dawand Jones?
2) Which three of Cole/Daniels/Herbig/Seumalo starts? Do you consider moving Daniels to center?

Lots of options up front now. LOVE this off-season so far.

Last edited:
I think the is suddenly a strength for this team. I think the two biggest questions now are:

2) Which three of Cole/Daniels/Herbig/Seumalo starts? Do you consider moving Daniels to center?

I'm wondering if we see another tackle brought in FA. And I think there's no way we don't draft at least one.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Seumalo is like my dream for a FA OL player. Tough, effective, experienced, young, likely pretty cheap. He's an incredible signing. Running up the middle just got a lot easier; pencil Najee in for 12+ TDs next year.
From all accounts he's a wizard at processing plays.

I think the line is suddenly a strength for this team. I think the two biggest questions now are:

Even Seumalo has experience at center. But I’m hoping the Steelers put him at his best position so that we get solid and reliable play somewhere.

Does anyone think the Steelers will use a pick on a center?

Reactions: Ski11585
Even Seumalo has experience at center. But I’m hoping the Steelers put him at his best position so that we get solid and reliable play somewhere.

I thought it was possible prior to signing two interior guys. Tackle has to be the focus. Coming out with one in the first two rounds would be great, coming out with two would be unbelievable. Jones and Jones as the bookends would complete the transformation of this offensive line.

I think we are done there.

I thought it was possible prior to signing two interior guys. Tackle has to be the focus. Coming out with one in the first two rounds would be great, coming out with two would be unbelievable. Jones and Jones as the bookends would complete the transformation of this offensive line.
Two tackles in the 1st 3 picks is the draft is what I'd like to see

Reactions: Burgh15
I think they’ll pick the best player available that meets their top needs at OT, Dl and Cb. Those likely will be the first three picks and the order will depend on the value at that point in the draft.

This looks like one of their better off seasons so far. proof will be how they actually play of course

I guess I am in the minority and am not jumping for joy over all these signings. Last year people were going crazy at all the FA signings the team made and how much better the team would be. Well the 9-8 2021 team went 9-8. Now I am now saying the linebackers and o-line haven't improved, but I don't think they have improved to compete with the better AFC teams. Let's not forget other teams also signed players and get to draft some.

I have said it on this board in other posts that the biggest problem the Steelers have is the college offensive coordinator Tomlin hired. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the 2 o-linemen the Steelers signed are bigger, more physical players. Wouldn't they do better in more of a run heavy offense? Is the current coordinator geared to more of a run or pass offense?

I guess I am in the minority and am not jumping for joy over all these signings. Last year people were going crazy at all the FA signings the team made and how much better the team would be. Well the 9-8 2021 team went 9-8. Now I am now saying the linebackers and o-line haven't improved, but I don't think they have improved to compete with the better AFC teams. Let's not forget other teams also signed players and get to draft some.

I have said it on this board in other posts that the biggest problem the Steelers have is the college offensive coordinator Tomlin hired. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the 2 o-linemen the Steelers signed are bigger, more physical players. Wouldn't they do better in more of a run heavy offense? Is the current coordinator geared to more of a run or pass offense?
I think improving the run game is a priority to this staff.
I'm not going to defend the coordinator

He's got one more chance to save his job.
I trust Weidl here. I believe he knows what he's doing.

I don't think there is a single person jumping for joy over the signings. However, Isaac Seumalo is an upgrade over Kevin Dotson and Herbig is an upgrade over the interior depth they had last year. The linebackers are what they are, and that is likely cheaper options who will be at least as productive (or should I say "non-productive") as last year's group.

Reactions: Ski11585

Went 9-8 last year starting the year with Trubisky and breaking in a rookie QB with some key injuries as well. That 9-8 is way more impressive to me than what we did the year prior. I think the trajectory is headed in the right direction.

Can't just look at the records. You have to contextualize things a bit. We had the same record despite switching from the most talented QB in franchise history to a rookie 20th overall QB. And we played a lot of the year without the team's most talented player and traded a starting caliber WR.

Steelers aren't going to compete with the Chiefs and Bills any time soon but nobody else does either. It's a tough conference. They're probably 2 years out from really competing. But some very important pieces - young QB, young WR, OL - will develop over that time.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT