ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse Game Thread

No one says that free throws don't matter.

What people point out is the fact, and it is a fact, that shooting twos and threes are way, way more important that shooting ones.

If you have the choice, your team can either be really good at shooting ones or twos or threes and you pick ones you simply have no idea what is important in basketball.
My head now hurts because of the depths I just was lead. I gotta take a walk

The Cuse blows! We made them look good. With our interior defense, we will be a bottom tier ACC team. Any team we play with a pulse just crushes us with layups and dunks, while we throw up nothing but jump shots. This was a sad day for Pitt basketball.
They may blow, but they show more energy and activity than they have for a decade. Which is exactly how long Boeheim overstayed.

If Thomas signs in November, then he gets his FR season regardless. If we make the NIT this year and next year, he probably still gets 25-26 even without Thomas.
One of the dumbest reasons in any sport to keep a coach is because of the next seasons recruiting class.

Jaland Lowe has 15 assists and 2 turnovers his last 4 games coming off the bench including today against Syracuse.

He has not shot the ball well this year but a ton of his misses 12 feet and in including short midrange shots, floaters, etc.. have barely rimmed out are are going to go down a lot more frequently some time in the near future, I have 100% confidence in that. Audiese Toney had some of the same bad shooting luck his freshmen year with a lot of short shots that just barely missed. They went down a lot more frequently for Toney after that.

The question is, at what point does Lowe potentially get the nod as the starting point guard and to move Carrington off the ball. Regardless of the statistics Carrington has, Lowe has far better floor vision and passing ability as a true point guard. Im starting to really think that Lowe is the critical piece to moving this team up to another level. He needs better consistency, but the raw talent is apparent.
I don't think Lowe is necessarily the only "critical" piece.
For one, Fede is killing us and GDiaz is now playing much
better and belongs on the floor for far more minutes. Today's
game is proof of that. Hinson's game today was totally
missing as was Leggett's. THOSE are also critical pieces, to say
nothing of 46% FT's

As for Lowe, I definitely can see moving him to the starting pg
at this point. I agree about Carrington, good as he is he's not
"a true pg." Put him at the off guard position and move Leggett
to the wing. Lowe needed to get his feet wet early in the year.
After a little struggle early, he's done that, and he's shown
what a quality pg he is. Not only that, but he can only get better.
It's time.

They'll need to start winning some of these games to accomplish that. Howard and Wagner are no longer on the schedule.
Wagner??? Wagner BEAT us at the Pete when Jamie
was here. Of course the much Pitt hated Hurley
was Wagner's coach at the time.

Maybe this has already been talked about, but have we trashed our Blue uniforms? I may be wrong, but I dont recall them wearing them yet this year.As far as the game goes, it was a tale of two halves for sure.A game we let slip away.

Last edited:
Pretty easy to summarize this game:

1) The first half was like watching Pitt vs Syracuse "Big East style", with the exception of the Orange defense playing man rather than zone. Syracuse crowd got quiet when we closed on a 14-4 run, thanks to the Orange technical foul (and the rare, two made FT's) leading to a 5 pt swing (all Bub)

2) The first half was actually pretty fun to watch given the back and forth of both teams playing hard, physical BB; G Diaz-Graham (or is it Graham-Diaz?!) kept us in the game along with Zack and Bub

3) The second half started well but went to hell in a hand basket after the first media time out. Not sure how or why the Panthers never got their mojo back. I think we were all expecting Hinson to break out of his shooting slump. Still, we had a nice run to tie it at 61 only to let Syracuse go on an 8-0 run. Later, when we got back to where a three would given us 1 point deficit, Zack passed up an open three in favor of Jaland

Lots of things to be critical of, not the least of which were the missed FT's. But I noticed three glaring things: 1) both Jaland and Bub dribble way too much outside the arc. They are much more effective when driving toward the basket 2) GDG had a great game but he is still not strong enough when more physical players engage him. Too many missed rebounds; too many strips. I thought he gained muscle and weight over the summer? Wasn't obvious to me watching him so far 3) JDG has not impressed me as much as his brother; not a total liability but not much of an asset

Lastly, before they had a close-up shot of Blake Hinson, it almost appeared (to me) that he had cut his hair ... why no afro?

My head now hurts because of the depths I just was lead. I gotta take a walk

Yeah, the concept that how you shoot two pointers and three pointers is much more important than how you shoot foul shots is really a difficult concept to understand.

Or at least it seems to be for some people here.

We play in the ACC. Its a bad league. We will win enough to go to the NIT
I'm really not certain of that. I think we lack toughness, especially inside. That problem is not going away. We have free throw shooting issues that look like they aren't going away. Today we had turnover issues because the Cuse played us so physical especially in the 2nd half. Look at the games we've lost. They are all very much alike. We just can't handle physical ball pressure.

So ask yourself: How many teams in the ACC can outphysical us? Then the ones who cannot, will they just be able to win due to superior talent? I think a 500 season would be enough to get us to the NIT. I'm sure we will win some where we just shoot lights out. However, if Blake happens to cool in conference play, a 500 season will be out of reach.

The one thing I will say is we could look a hell of alot better down the stretch if we get Lowe starting at point immediately. I guess time will tell. What sucks is Carolina is next, and I can remember last year Fede frustrating the hell out of Bacot. Tuesday night Bacot is likely to eat him or GDG alive.

Reactions: Chescat
I'm really not certain of that. I think we lack toughness, especially inside. That problem is not going away. We have free throw shooting issues that look like they aren't going away. Today we had turnover issues because the Cuse played us so physical especially in the 2nd half. Look at the games we've lost. They are all very much alike. We just can't handle physical ball pressure.
This is what I've been posting this season. The overly
aggressive D that Syracuse used played right into our
lack of toughness. The excuses about Blake not hitting
his threes? He wasn't hitting them because their players
were overplaying him. In Blake's case, it's not a lack of
toughness, and it wasn't because he went cold. They were
in his jockstrap most of the game As for our 15 TO's,
their D had a lot to do with them. As for Carrington's 5 T0"s
( avery bad stat), their D had a lot to do with them. He's
not a true pg (5A/5TO's). Lowe's stats, 5 Assists 0 T0's.
Again, he IS a true pg. It's time to move him to pg and
Carrigton to off guard.

Toughness inside? I've been using the term "manhandled"
on here ever since the FGCU game where their big' took
it to us. Also, see Canisius game and others. These are
mid majors, and not very good ones at that.

I'll tell you who IS playing tough for us.....Jeffress. No offense,
but playing tough. That I wouldn't have expected.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pittisit4me
This is what I've been posting this season. The overly
aggressive D that Syracuse used played right into our
lack of toughness. The excuses about Blake not hitting
his threes? He wasn't hitting them because their players
were overplaying him. In Blake's case, it's not a lack of
toughness, and it wasn't because he went cold. They were
in his jockstrap most of the game As for our 15 TO's,
their D had a lot to do with them. As for Carrington's 5 T0"s
( avery bad stat), their D had a lot to do with them. He's
not a true pg (5A/5TO's). Lowe's stats, 5 Assists 0 T0's.
Again, he IS a true pg. It's time to move him to pg and
Carrigton to off guard.

Toughness inside? I've been using the term "manhandled"
on here ever since the FGCU game where their big' took
it to us. Also, see Canisius game and others. These are
mid majors, and not very good ones at that.

I'll tell you who IS playing tough for us.....Jeffress. No offense,
but playing tough. That I wouldn't have expected.
Agree 100%. Will has been playing with no fear and understands his role. The only thing he seems to fear is shooting. Lol. He is our best defender and rebounder on this team. When he got in foul trouble, the Cuse really took advantage of his absence.

Reactions: Chescat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT