ADVERTISEMENT

Takeaways from ACC Tip-Off/Media Day with Capel, Hinson, and Ish

Feb 24, 2023
For those that don’t know, the ACC had their men’s/women’s marathon media day this week. The Pitt coverage took place in 3 parts; Capel interview w/ ESPN, Hinson/Ish interview w/ESPN, and a mini press conference, which was basically just an empty room with Noah from PG asking questions. You can rewatch these on the ESPN app or below if interested:

Hinson/Ish with ESPN

Capel with Bilas/ESPN

Press Conference

A few of my random thoughts:
  • Capel directly and firmly disagree with the ACC commissioner on whether all teams should make the ACC tournament or not once the new members join. Capel said they 100% should, and the commissioner said that he is leaning strongly that they shouldn’t.
  • Every ACC team sent 2-3 players to rep their team, and I found it interesting that Ish was the rep for Pitt, but I think that might firm the expectation that he will be a team leader in minutes, and maybe that vocal leader as well.
  • Capel likes players of coaches sons. He must have said that half a dozen times when talking about our freshmen.
  • Hinson is an entertaining interview. When asked what he wants to improve on this year, he said he wants to dunk on people. But he did clarify that he wants to be a better finisher, which is exactly what we need from him at times.
  • Hinson also said he wants to be the “best role player” in the nation, when asked how he feels about being the main “star” of the team. I think he likes his role, but it leaves room for another player to be the vocal leader too.
Anyways, just wanted to share my thoughts on watching all that!

For those that don’t know, the ACC had their men’s/women’s marathon media day this week. The Pitt coverage took place in 3 parts; Capel interview w/ ESPN, Hinson/Ish interview w/ESPN, and a mini press conference, which was basically just an empty room with Noah from PG asking questions. You can rewatch these on the ESPN app or below if interested:

Hinson/Ish with ESPN

Capel with Bilas/ESPN

Press Conference

A few of my random thoughts:
  • Capel directly and firmly disagree with the ACC commissioner on whether all teams should make the ACC tournament or not once the new members join. Capel said they 100% should, and the commissioner said that he is leaning strongly that they shouldn’t.
  • Every ACC team sent 2-3 players to rep their team, and I found it interesting that Ish was the rep for Pitt, but I think that might firm the expectation that he will be a team leader in minutes, and maybe that vocal leader as well.
  • Capel likes players of coaches sons. He must have said that half a dozen times when talking about our freshmen.
  • Hinson is an entertaining interview. When asked what he wants to improve on this year, he said he wants to dunk on people. But he did clarify that he wants to be a better finisher, which is exactly what we need from him at times.
  • Hinson also said he wants to be the “best role player” in the nation, when asked how he feels about being the main “star” of the team. I think he likes his role, but it leaves room for another player to be the vocal leader too.
Anyways, just wanted to share my thoughts on watching all that!

Hinson is going to be in TV when he's done. He's a natural. He did some football sideline stuff for Alliance 412 and was very funny and entertaining. Probably one of the best "personalities" in Pitt history.

What exactly did the commish say about the ACCT? We discussed this a few months ago. My guess is its going to be 15 vs 18 and 16 vs 17 on Monday. 1-16, 2-15, 3-14, 4-13 on Tuesday then the top 4 seeds get the day off Wednesday before the Thursday quarterfinals

Hinson is going to be in TV when he's done. He's a natural. He did some football sideline stuff for Alliance 412 and was very funny and entertaining. Probably one of the best "personalities" in Pitt history.

What exactly did the commish say about the ACCT? We discussed this a few months ago. My guess is its going to be 15 vs 18 and 16 vs 17 on Monday. 1-16, 2-15, 3-14, 4-13 on Tuesday then the top 4 seeds get the day off Wednesday before the Thursday quarterfinals

He basically said that he will leave the decision up to the committee members and teams… no details on the “format” of what that would look like. BUT when pressed on it, he then said the current format has been good for members and that he personally believes teams should meet a “threshold of success” during the regular season in order to qualify. Basically saying that the bottom few teams would be left out.

I think the press enjoyed that moment of candor because they asked a bunch of coaches about those comments.

When asked the same question, Capel said that he strongly disagreed with the commissioner, and all teams deserve a spot in the tournament.

He basically said that he will leave the decision up to the committee members and teams… no details on the “format” of what that would look like. BUT when pressed on it, he then said the current format has been good for members and that he personally believes teams should meet a “threshold of success” during the regular season in order to qualify. Basically saying that the bottom few teams would be left out.

I think the press enjoyed that moment of candor because they asked a bunch of coaches about those comments.

When asked the same question, Capel said that he strongly disagreed with the commissioner, and all teams deserve a spot in the tournament.

If left up to the coaches/committee, they'll all be in. #1 Duke vs #16 Cal (extra game for Duke) is good for ratings and ticket sales. No one will go to the 15-18 play in games but its still good TV

I think the primary issue cited by the commissioner w/r to including all or most of the teams in the tourney is a large reluctance in extending it from 5 to a 6-day event.

I think the primary issue cited by the commissioner w/r to including all or most of the teams in the tourney is a large reluctance in extending it from 5 to a 6-day event.

They can do it in 5 if they use an off-site venue for a few 1st Round games or try to jam 8 games in 1 day:

They can do this if they got rid of all TV timeouts just for this day.

They aren't going to do either of those.

And they 100% guaranteed are not going to do this.

I agree. They should though. Ever watch those FIBA games? They are done in 80 minutes. That's partly because those international coaches dont call timeouts. Its interesting watching those games because we are so accustomed to the usual situations when TOs are called. Those guys don't do it.

You gotta have 18 teams in it though. The 15-18 seeds will probably play Monday. Perhaps this can be off-site if they dont want to rent a big arena for a crowd of 2K.

You gotta have 18 teams in it though. The 15-18 seeds will probably play Monday. Perhaps this can be off-site if they dont want to rent a big arena for a crowd of 2K.

Why do they gotta? There are other ACC sports that all the teams don't make the conference tournament.

If someone goes 2-18 in conference, or heck, pulls a Stallings and goes 0-all of them, why should they be in the tournament?

Why do they gotta? There are other ACC sports that all the teams don't make the conference tournament.

If someone goes 2-18 in conference, or heck, pulls a Stallings and goes 0-all of them, why should they be in the tournament?

Its just my opinion that a conference tournament is something you need to qualify for. Its part of the schedule. A 15 vs 18 and 16 vs 17 game isnt really even the real ACC Tournament if you want to think of it that way

You understand that this is exactly the opposite of your "you gotta have 18 teams in it" statement, right?

Typo. I dont think you should have to qualify for a conference tournament. The exception being when a tournament format cannot reasonably take all teams. In this case, you can have 15-18 play at some YMCA on a Monday if need be. Or Wheeling would be a good location. Wheeling could be the "Dayton" of the ACCT. The ACC First Four.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT