ADVERTISEMENT

"Testing" policies at other schools?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Its not an NCAA requirement that schools have an internal "testing" policy......just that if they do, they are required to follow it. With that said, does anybody know if nearby schools, Penn State, WVU, and Ohio State have internal testing policies.

Every year we see 1 or 2 players suspended or kicked off the football team due to failed "tests" and on the basketball side, Durand Johnson was suspended this year. Its just hard for me to believe that these other schools would have penalties so harsh or even have a policy at all. Anybody know? Just wondering if its maybe a recruiting disadvantage for Pitt. Its not something an opposing coach can really talk about or negatively recruit against but recruits talk. College kids like to have a little fun from time to time and would surely know which schools let you have that fun and which dont. Just wondering.

Here is some stuff-

Bylaw 18.4.1.5.1 -- Duration of Ineligibility

Additionally, a student-athlete who tests positive (in accordance with the testing methods authorized by the Executive Committee) shall be charged with the loss of a minimum of one season of competition in all sports if the season of competition has not yet begun for that student-athlete or a minimum of the equivalent of one full season of competition in all sports if the student-athlete tests positive during his or her season of competition (i.e., the remainder of contests in the current season and contests in the subsequent season up to the period of time in which the student-athlete was declared ineligible during the previous year). The student-athlete shall remain ineligible for all regular-season and postseason competition during the time period ending one calendar year (i.e., 365 days) after the student-athlete's positive drug test, and until the student-athlete retests negative (in accordance with the testing methods authorized by the Executive Committee) and the student-athlete's eligibility is restored by the Eligibility Committee. If the student-athlete tests positive a second time for the use of any drug, other than a "street drug," after being restored to eligibility, he or she shall be charged with the loss of a minimum of one additional season of competition in all sports and also shall remain ineligible for regular-season and postseason competition at least through the next calendar year.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/NCAANewsArchive/1997/19970407/active/3414n22.html

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/5.%20Drug%20Testing%20Program%20Book%202013-14.pdf

2013-14 NCAA Banned Drugs

The NCAA bans the following classes of drugs:

a. Stimulants;

b. Anabolic Agents;

c. Alcohol and Beta Blockers (banned for rifle only);

d. Diuretics and Other Masking Agents;

e. Street Drugs;

f. Peptide Hormones and Analogues;

g. Anti-estrogens; and

h. Beta-2 Agonists.

Note: Any substance chemically related to these

classes is also banned.
The institution and the studentathlete

shall be held accountable for all drugs within

the banned drug class
regardless of whether they have

been specifically identified. Examples of substances

under each class can be found at www.NCAA.org/

drugtesting

4.3.1. Student-athletes competing in Divisions I and II

sports are subject to year-round testing.

I'm talking about our own internal program, not the NCAA's own testing program. Our own program is what's getting these guys suspended and kicked off the team. I dont know if other schools even have their own program.

Drug Education and Screening[/URL]

[/URL]

Both the NCAA and the University of Pittsburgh have mandatory drug screening programs. You must agree in writing to be tested by the NCAA and the University before you can become eligible for practice and competition.

NCAA DRUG TESTING PROGRAM

Each year, student-athletes will sign a consent form demonstrating their understanding and willingness to participate in the NCAA drug-testing program. The NCAA requires this consent for any student-athletes before they begin participation each year. Failure to complete and sign the statement shall result in the student-athlete being ineligible for all intercollegiate competition.

By signing the NCAA Drug Consent Form, you agree to allow the NCAA to test you in relation to any participation in an NCAA Championship or post-season competition. The NCAA tests for any banned substances listed in Bylaw 31.2.3. Your coach, Athletic Trainer or the Office of Student Life & Compliance can provide an updated list of banned drugs by the NCAA. For the current list of 2006-07 banned drug classes, please refer to the end of this section.

Additionally, all student-athletes are now subject to year round drug testing administered by the NCAA. By signing the Drug Testing Consent Form, you also agree to be tested on a year round basis (including the summer) for anabolic agents, diuretics and urine manipulators. You must keep your coaches informed any time you leave town. The NCAA generally gives only 24 hours notice for their year round drug testing. Therefore, your coaches must know how to reach you.

If the NCAA tests you for the banned drugs listed in Bylaw 31.2.3 and you test positive (consistent with NCAA drug-testing protocol), you will be ineligible to participate in regular-season and postseason competition for one calendar year (i.e., 365 days) after your positive drug test and you will be charged with the loss of a minimum of one season of competition in all sports.

If you test positive in an NCAA drug test a second time for the use of any drug, other than a "street drug" as defined in Bylaw 31.2.3, you will lose all remaining regular season and postseason eligibility in all sports. If you test positive for the use of a "street drug" after being restored to eligibility, you will be charged with the loss of one additional season of competition in all sports and also remain ineligible for regular season and postseason competition at least through the next calendar year.

Keep in mind, the penalty for missing a scheduled NCAA drug test is the same penalty for testing positive for the use of a banned drug. You will remain ineligible until you retest negative and your eligibility has been restored by the NCAA Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement, after loss of eligibility, as noted above.

Supplements

Many nutritional/dietary supplements contain NCAA banned substances. Some supplements may lead to a positive NCAA or University of Pittsburgh drug test. The use of supplements is at the student-athlete's own risk. Student-athletes should contact their trainer or head coach before taking any supplements.

[/URL]
This post was edited on 3/13 3:28 PM by TIGER-PAUL

http://www.pittsburghpanthers.com/compliance/compl

It seems you are right smf, Pitt harsh.
Looks like Pitt is one and done for season?
These others are not?

This post was edited on 3/13 2:24 PM by TIGER-PAUL

Originally posted by TIGER-PAUL:
It seems you are right smf, Pitt harsh.
Looks like Pitt is one and done for season?
These others are not?

This post was edited on 3/13 2:24 PM by TIGER-PAUL
I don't think its 1 and done for Pitt. Just my guess, Pitt's is:

First: warning, internal team discipline
Second: season
Third: booted

WVU's per that article:
First: counseling
Second: 10% of the season (ie 1 football game or 3 basketball games)
Third: booted (this surprised me)

PSU's per that article:
First: counseling
Second: counseling and suspended at least 7 days from the date of the "re-test"
Third: one year
Fourth: booted

I'm guessing Pitt's is harsher than their immediate peers but to be honest, I am surprised WVU even has one in place.
This post was edited on 3/13 2:54 PM by Sean Miller Fan

I don't know what the first and second offenses bring at Pitt (a one-game suspension is one of the punishments; not sure if that's for the first or second offense) but the year-long suspension comes on the third offense. I think any offenses after that lead to dismissals.

Irrespective of NCAA rules, school rules, their stringency or non-stringency--it is clear that when you sign the paperwork and you violate the agreement you signed you deserve to be subject to the penalty due to the personal selfishness and stupidity it demonstrates. People need to be held accountable for their actions. Yes, that can make fans feel disappointed or cheated because it negatively effects the entertainment they feel they are entitled to receive. But, they should be more angry and disappointed with the player (particularly for 2nd or 3rd violations) because it shows selfishness and disregard for teammates, coaches and fans plus an inability to learn from past mistakes. In short, it demonstrates a lack of integrity. Blaming the NCAA or the school for a player's selfish and stupid continuing behavior only shows that the blamer is as selfish and lacking in integrity as the player he wishes to give a pass to by blaming the rules.

This post was edited on 3/15 7:54 AM by DC_Area_Panther

Sean miller fraud hints at a very important thing about life. He seemingly endorses training young men and women athletes to be thugs and spoiled people who go into adulthood believing they are above rules. In other words this troll wants Pitt to be like his beloved two schools pedo state and WVCC. If that would happen he could then write ad nauseum about the pathetically low standards Pitt has set for those to who,we grant the opportunity for free education Ah, the life of a professional troll. Does pedo pay him for his antics? Or someone else? Certainly not WVCC as they could care less what other schools do.

Originally posted by Sean Miller Fan:
Its not an NCAA requirement that schools have an internal "testing" policy......just that if they do, they are required to follow it. With that said, does anybody know if nearby schools, Penn State, WVU, and Ohio State have internal testing policies.

Every year we see 1 or 2 players suspended or kicked off the football team due to failed "tests" and on the basketball side, Durand Johnson was suspended this year. Its just hard for me to believe that these other schools would have penalties so harsh or even have a policy at all. Anybody know? Just wondering if its maybe a recruiting disadvantage for Pitt. Its not something an opposing coach can really talk about or negatively recruit against but recruits talk. College kids like to have a little fun from time to time and would surely know which schools let you have that fun and which dont. Just wondering.
We should never do anything that we aren't forced to do, NEVER PUNISH YOURSELF, and if someone else tries to punish you, try to get out of it! LOL! Why are we self-punishing IDIOTS!?!?!?!?

Originally posted by dooz3:
Sean miller fraud hints at a very important thing about life. He seemingly endorses training young men and women athletes to be thugs and spoiled people who go into adulthood believing they are above rules. In other words this troll wants Pitt to be like his beloved two schools pedo state and WVCC. If that would happen he could then write ad nauseum about the pathetically low standards Pitt has set for those to who,we grant the opportunity for free education Ah, the life of a professional troll. Does pedo pay him for his antics? Or someone else? Certainly not WVCC as they could care less what other schools do.
He's not saying that! The NCAA tests and punishes, limit it to JUST THAT ALONE, nobody is forcing them to punish themselves and have an EXTRA testing policy, so WHY DO IT? For what? You mean to "hold yourself to a higher standard" BULLLLSHTT? Just accept ONLY THE NATIONAL STANDARD.... Those are THE RULES! No need for EXTRA rules.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT