ADVERTISEMENT

The Florida myth

We currently have the talent to consistently compete with and defeat all Coastal teams except for Miami. A good coach will be able to establish his team and beat the teams with comparable recruiting. Over the last 5 full classes, Pitt has very comparable recruiting to the other Coastal teams except for Miami (who Narduzzi has shown he can beat). If we use the last 3 years then the Pitt does even better in the rankings.

Bottom line. Pitt needs to beat the teams that recruit at the same level. If Narduzzi is a better coach then those teams have, he will consistently beat those schools, and as a result will start to outrecruit them as well.

5 Year Recruiting Star Average
ACC_2014_2018_5_year_star_average.png

Using "star averages" is very misleading. The difference in 0.2 star average is five players that are 4-stars versus 3-stars in a 25 player class. That's the difference between UNC and Pitt right now and it's a really big difference. You're also discounting that the schools behind Pitt won't improve and potentially pass Pitt in recruiting. Then what?

Reactions: Jpripper88
We currently have the talent to consistently compete with and defeat all Coastal teams except for Miami. A good coach will be able to establish his team and beat the teams with comparable recruiting. Over the last 5 full classes, Pitt has very comparable recruiting to the other Coastal teams except for Miami (who Narduzzi has shown he can beat). If we use the last 3 years then the Pitt does even better in the rankings.

Bottom line. Pitt needs to beat the teams that recruit at the same level. If Narduzzi is a better coach then those teams have, he will consistently beat those schools, and as a result will start to outrecruit them as well.

5 Year Recruiting Star Average
ACC_2014_2018_5_year_star_average.png
So, we are 4th in our division and 6th in the ACC and the spread is getting bigger, but this shows you we "have the talent to consistently compete with and defeat all Coastal teams except for Miami"? How? The coaches (and certainly the staffs) of all of those programs are more highly regarded than ours. Even if we have a slightly better coach and staff, we are supposed to win every game against equal or worse competition AND win most of those games against better competition? Which program is your example for that theory? Wisconsin doesn't work. Ok State doesn't work. Who is your blueprint? Why would you be convinced we could suddenly beat all the teams with equal or less talent? We have lost to Navy, Northwestern, Syracuse, GT, NCSU, Iowa, and Ok State in the last 3 seasons.

BTW, it is interesting you bring up Miami "who Narduzzi has shown he can beat" but not UNC, who is much closer in talent, but who has beaten us every year.

Even if you consider that Pitt has this amazing staff that wins every game against equal or lesser talent, that is still only about 7 games a year. What about the other 5? Do you expect our coaching staff is so much better than those staffs (who are nationally respected as better staffs and are recruiting better) that they win more than 50% of those games, too? Which program is your example for that? Who is your blueprint?

Your faith is based on thinking everyone else in the country is wrong and we have a vastly superior coaching staff than Miami, UNC, and VT and we will be the only program in the country to beat EVERY team equal or more talented than us and more than 50% of the teams more talented than us.

So what is our excuse for 17 losses in 3 years? If we have the talent, what are we waiting for?

And this is kind of irrelevant, because once again, the concern is the projection going forward. The new ACC Coastal. Removing Miami and UNC, which both usually out recruit VT to various degrees.

Fuente in his first 2 full recruiting classes has a .8679 average recruit ranking, with a 25th ranked average. His current class is 27th with a .8944 average.

During that two year time period, with an extra year to establish recruiting ties, we are at a .8539 average, with the 41th class. Our current class is unranked with a 0 average.

You can believe that Narduzzi is so far above Fuente in coaching that this won't matter. But I see no evidence of that. And so to me, is seriously concerning. That we are probably going to be the 4th talented most talented team in the division in a year, and probably have at best an interchangeable coaching staff with these other programs.

Ok, let's try this another way. What is it that you want to see Pitt do and what are reasonable results?

Using "star averages" is very misleading. The difference in 0.2 star average is five players that are 4-stars versus 3-stars in a 25 player class. That's the difference between UNC and Pitt right now and it's a really big difference. You're also discounting that the schools behind Pitt won't improve and potentially pass Pitt in recruiting. Then what?

I am simply pointing out that Pitt recruits about the same as the other teams in the Coastal, with exception of Miami. There seems to be an idea that we aren't recruiting good enough to beat our Coastal competition. I disagree.

I also love the "He has shown he can beat," as if it's some repeatable skill Narduzzi has shown to have.
Yes, when Richt has a QB that is mitigating the talent advantage of the team because he's completing about 50% of his passes on the year and isn't one of Richt's handpicked guys, Narduzzi has shown he can win. How many years under Richt do you think that is going to happen?
Last year Richt played 2 QBs whose best offer between them was Arkansas State. Eventually this stream of 4* QBs he is bringing in are going to have enough time in the system to take over the starting job. Then it will be one 4*+ QB after another.
How big do you want the talent advantage between us and Miami to be when that day comes?

I also love the "He has shown he can beat," as if it's some repeatable skill Narduzzi has shown to have.
Yes, when Richt has a QB that is mitigating the talent advantage of the team because he's completing about 50% of his passes on the year and isn't one of Richt's handpicked guys, Narduzzi has shown he can win. How many years under Richt do you think that is going to happen?
Last year Richt played 2 QBs whose best offer between them was Arkansas State. Eventually this stream of 4* QBs he is bringing in are going to have enough time in the system to take over the starting job. Then it will be one 4*+ QB after another.
How big do you want the talent advantage between us and Miami to be when that day comes?

Narduzzi beat them. And he beat Clemson. And he beat Penn State. All good teams that recruit better than Pitt.

Narduzzi beat them. And he beat Clemson. And he beat Penn State. All good teams that recruit better than Pitt.

I think that's great. He also got blown out by Miami the year before when they had a QB with a pulse and Richt hadn't even had a full recruiting class playing for him.
He also never threatened Penn State last year and they basically just cruised to victory.
You act like these things are a repeatable skill. Or that it's an insult if I say it isn't. I don't think there is a coach alive that is going to overcome talent on a consistent basis. So I'm just saying Narduzzi is like everybody else.

So, we are 4th in our division and 6th in the ACC and the spread is getting bigger, but this shows you we "have the talent to consistently compete with and defeat all Coastal teams except for Miami"? How? The coaches (and certainly the staffs) of all of those programs are more highly regarded than ours. Even if we have a slightly better coach and staff, we are supposed to win every game against equal or worse competition AND win most of those games against better competition? Which program is your example for that theory? Wisconsin doesn't work. Ok State doesn't work. Who is your blueprint? Why would you be convinced we could suddenly beat all the teams with equal or less talent? We have lost to Navy, Northwestern, Syracuse, GT, NCSU, Iowa, and Ok State in the last 3 seasons.

BTW, it is interesting you bring up Miami "who Narduzzi has shown he can beat" but not UNC, who is much closer in talent, but who has beaten us every year.

Even if you consider that Pitt has this amazing staff that wins every game against equal or lesser talent, that is still only about 7 games a year. What about the other 5? Do you expect our coaching staff is so much better than those staffs (who are nationally respected as better staffs and are recruiting better) that they win more than 50% of those games, too? Which program is your example for that? Who is your blueprint?

Your faith is based on thinking everyone else in the country is wrong and we have a vastly superior coaching staff than Miami, UNC, and VT and we will be the only program in the country to beat EVERY team equal or more talented than us and more than 50% of the teams more talented than us.

I can sum up my answer by saying that for Pitt, it's a long term process. No coach that Pitt would be able to hire can quickly turn things around at Pitt. Pitt fans have been so long starved of football success, that they have little patience and want the next coach to recruit great and start winning asap. THAT ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN. Decades of mismanagement have led to what will need to be many years of rebuilding.

It's best to think of the Pitt program as this giant hamster wheel from Double Dare.
tmg-article_tall;jpeg_quality=20.jpg

Pitt let the wheel stop spinning multiple times. Then covered the wheel in green slime making it super slippery. It takes a good deal of time to get it spinning again, and it's a hard thing to do. You don't just step on the wheel and instantly have it spinning away. You slowly make it go faster and faster. Pitt fans expect the wheel to be spinning quickly the moment a new coach steps on it, but that isn't how reality works.

Last edited:
I can sum up my answer by saying that for Pitt, it's a long term process. No coach that Pitt would be able to hire can quickly turn things around at Pitt. Pitt fans have been so long starved of football success, that they have little patience and want the next coach to recruit great and start winning asap. THAT ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN. Decades of mismanagement have led to what will need to be many years of rebuilding.

It's best to think of the Pitt program as this flywheel from Double Dare.
tmg-article_tall;jpeg_quality=20.jpg

Pitt let the wheel stop spinning multiple time. Then covered the wheel in green slime making it super slippery. It takes a good deal of time to get it spinning again, and it's a hard thing to do. You don't just step on the wheel and instantly have it spinning away. You slowly make it go faster and faster. Pitt fans expect the wheel to be spinning quickly the moments a new coach steps on it, but that isn't how things work.

Guys like Cashisking884, pittdan77 and jpripper88 just want to argue for the sake of arguing... They will not answer any questions you give them. They do not want to discuss. They want to pontificate.

Everybody should just put them on Ignore. Do not engage... Let them commiserate among themselves...

Reactions: cashisking884
What should Pitt be averaging in star ratings that would satisfy you?
In order to win more than ~8 games a year and have a chance at winning the ACC? They should be equal or better than all, but maybe 1 school. Of course, that will still only result in consistent success if our coaching is at least equal to our competition. What you and pittmeister and several others refuse to understand is: It only matters how you recruit in comparison with your competition. National ranking doesn't really matter. You have to have the coaching AND the recruiting to win. You don't win without talent. And the overwhelming majority opinion is we don't have a the gigantic advantage you and pittmeister seem to think we do in the coaching department. I hope we are close to even with those schools, but there is no doubt (if things like loyalty and comfort with Pitt were equal) I would trade our staff for the staffs at Clemson, FSU, Miami, VT, and UNC. That means (IMO and seemingly every unbiased National opinion) we are, at best, 6th in our conference in coaching AND we are, at best, 6th in our conference in talent. Guess where that means we are most likely going to finish...probably 6th or worst.

It's best to think of the Pitt program as this giant hamster wheel from Double Dare.

Pitt let the wheel stop spinning multiple times. Then covered the wheel in green slime making it super slippery. It takes a good deal of time to get it spinning again, and it's a hard thing to do. You don't just step on the wheel and instantly have it spinning away. You slowly make it go faster and faster. Pitt fans expect the wheel to be spinning quickly the moment a new coach steps on it, but that isn't how reality works.
This isn't instant. This is recruiting cycle and season 4 and the discussion is about how it affects the future outlook. What are today's results likely to lead to in the future? Probably years of being the 6th or worse team in the ACC.

Guys like Cashisking884, pittdan77 and jpripper88 just want to argue for the sake of arguing... They will not answer any questions you give them. They do not want to discuss. They want to pontificate.

Everybody should just put them on Ignore. Do not engage... Let them commiserate among themselves...
Wrong. You don't want to discuss anything and that is why you "ignore" and contradict yourself from post to post.

My background is not in sports. It's turning data into insight. There simply is not enough data to draw a concrete conclusion, but I can tell you that the limited data I see tells me that it's more important to have a good coach than a great recruiter.
Wow!!!!!!!!

Reactions: sherepower
I am simply pointing out that Pitt recruits about the same as the other teams in the Coastal, with exception of Miami. There seems to be an idea that we aren't recruiting good enough to beat our Coastal competition. I disagree.
Than if, as you say, Pitt recruits at "at the same as other teams in the Coastal" with such a good coaching staff how are we still losing to UNC, Gtech is toss up every year and Syracuse.. What about V Tech, who we have the most success against. How can you explain not beating those teams then?

In year 4? Somewhere between .87 and .88 would be acceptable.
A good 4* core, with some high ceiling 3* players, and some projects we have to take along the lines.

What average in the Rivals star system would be acceptable for you?

Than if, as you say, Pitt recruits at "at the same as other teams in the Coastal" with such a good coaching staff how are we still losing to UNC, Gtech is toss up every year and Syracuse.. What about V Tech, who we have the most success against. How can you explain not beating those teams then?

Because we have had inconsistency for so long. New head coach. New coordinators. New systems. He has pulled off some major upsets so that gives him time for me.

Because we have had inconsistency for so long. New head coach. New coordinators. New systems. He has pulled off some major upsets so that gives him time for me.

Then why do you credit him with the Penn State and Miami wins? Franklin was in year 3 (exact year Narduzzi was in last year with the bad losses), and Richt was in year 2.

Then why do you credit him with the Penn State and Miami wins? Franklin was in year 3 (exact year Narduzzi was in last year with the bad losses), and Richt was in year 2.

Those wins demonstrate his potential. Doesn't mean he will see lots of success, but he could.

Probably about a 3.25 to 3.3 average.

Pitt has never recruited that well going back to 2002, and likely all through the 1990s. So it's probably been almost 30 years or more since Pitt has had a class that good. Why are your expectations for the current coach so demanding when the program is not that good?

Reactions: pittmeister
Those wins demonstrate his potential. Doesn't mean he will see lots of success, but he could.

But wouldn't the logic you're using in the context of his losses (new staff), work against him in those wins? It just seems like you want to have your cake and eat it too.
When Narduzzi beats a coach that has been at his school the same amount of time or shorter than Narduzzi, it's indicative of something inherently good about Narduzzi.
When he has all these bad loses, it's understandable due to a coach that still hasn't been here long enough to change the program and make it his.

Pitt has never recruited that well going back to 2002, and likely all through the 1990s. So it's probably been almost 30 years or more since Pitt has had a class that good. Why are your expectations for the current coach so demanding when the program is not that good?

Because that's what the current ACC Coastal takes? Why would you expect the same level of 2002 recruiting when we spend more money than we did in 2002?
Lots of programs currently recruit better than they have in a very long time. Welcome to 2018. I'm asking Pitt to fall in between UNC and VT. Not Miami. Not Clemson. Not FSU. Just Tier II programs. If you're telling me you don't think Pitt is a Tier II program, okay. I just don't know why you expect Tier II winning though?

Because that's what the current ACC Coastal takes? Why would you expect the same level of 2002 recruiting when we spend more money than we did in 2002?
Lots of programs currently recruit better than they have in a very long time. Welcome to 2018. I'm asking Pitt to fall in between UNC and VT. Not Miami. Not Clemson. Not FSU. Just Tier II programs. If you're telling me you don't think Pitt is a Tier II program, okay. I just don't know why you expect Tier II winning though?

Using recent historical averages, you are essentially asking for Pitt to bring in the second best class in the Coastal. I'm saying that Pitt is not going to do that, and a coach who could come in a do it isn't coming to Pitt. Pitt simply doesn't have the program stature to go out and land classes that good. The only thing that will vastly improve recruiting is for Pitt's head coach to start winning more games, and establishing more consistency with the football program.

But wouldn't the logic you're using in the context of his losses (new staff), work against him in those wins? It just seems like you want to have your cake and eat it too.
When Narduzzi beats a coach that has been at his school the same amount of time or shorter than Narduzzi, it's indicative of something inherently good about Narduzzi.
When he has all these bad loses, it's understandable due to a coach that still hasn't been here long enough to change the program and make it his.

No. I am saying that he has shown the potential to be an excellent head coach. Sort of like when a new QB shows some flashes, but then goes out and throws some bad interceptions. We must follow through with him to see if he improves as a head coach.

Using recent historical averages, you are essentially asking for Pitt to bring in the second best class in the Coastal. I'm saying that Pitt is not going to do that, and a coach who could come in a do it isn't coming to Pitt. Pitt simply doesn't have the program stature to go out and land classes that good. The only thing that will vastly improve recruiting is for Pitt's head coach to start winning more games, and establishing more consistency with the football program.

Right. I understand your argument. You and I fundamentally disagree on how it's possible for Pitt to win.
You think they win first, recruit later. Improved recruiting is impossible.
I think they recruit first, win later. Improved winning without improved recruiting is impossible.
And I don't care about "history." As I have said numerous times in this thread: Welcome to the new ACC Coastal. This isn't your father's ACC. This is the ACC of Richt, and Fuente, and a UNC squad that just out talents us every year. They don't care what their historical recruiting averages have been, and they don't care about what Pitt's historical recruiting averages have been.

No. I am saying that he has shown the potential to be an excellent head coach. Sort of like when a new QB shows some flashes, but then goes out and throws some bad interceptions. We must follow through with him to see if he improves as a head coach.

But then you'd have do say he's shown the potential to be a bad head coach, right? Because their our some not so great losses.
It can't be you don't contextualize the great wins, but contextualize the bad losses. That can't be how it works.

But then you'd have do say he's shown the potential to be a bad head coach, right? Because their our some not so great losses.
It can't be you don't contextualize the great wins, but contextualize the bad losses. That can't be how it works.

That's the definition of potential. You could potentially be great. You could potentially suck.

Has not the other schools gone thru coaching changes. The biggest change was on the offensive side of the ball. Correct me if I am wrong but hasn't the defense been pretty steady, in terms of staff turnover, the last few years? Has that not been our week point? Now I am not arguing with stability and his coaching abilities at all. What I am questioning is that he is still learning to be a head coach and should surround himself with good young assistants that can recruit. A good head coach is a lot like a good CEO. He surrounds himself with the right people

Right. I understand your argument. You and I fundamentally disagree on how it's possible for Pitt to win.
You think they win first, recruit later. Improved recruiting is impossible.
I think they recruit first, win later. Improved winning without improved recruiting is impossible.
And I don't care about "history." As I have said numerous times in this thread: Welcome to the new ACC Coastal. This isn't your father's ACC. This is the ACC of Richt, and Fuente, and a UNC squad that just out talents us every year. They don't care what their historical recruiting averages have been, and they don't care about what Pitt's historical recruiting averages have been.

We have an understanding then. I don't think any coach that Pitt would be able to land is going to recruit at the level you want until he starts winning. Here is an example. Chris Peterson at Washington. He is a name coach, and one of the best in college football. He still struggled coming out of the gate in recruiting.

2014 8-6 (4-5) 2.8
2015 7-6 (4-5) 3.11
2016 12-2 (8-1) 3.33
2017 10-3 (7-2) 3.52

It wasn't until his third year where they went 12-2 and made it into the playoffs that Peterson saw the same level of recruiting you seem to expect Pitt to have right now. Pitt is behind UW is most metrics and I don't think Pitt can improve it's recruiting much until Narduzzi proves more as a coach. Even Peterson had to win first, at a better program, and he had a better rep as a head coach.

Has not the other schools gone thru coaching changes. The biggest change was on the offensive side of the ball. Correct me if I am wrong but hasn't the defense been pretty steady, in terms of staff turnover, the last few years? Has that not been our week point? Now I am not arguing with stability and his coaching abilities at all. What I am questioning is that he is still learning to be a head coach and should surround himself with good young assistants that can recruit. A good head coach is a lot like a good CEO. He surrounds himself with the right people

If you want to argue the he isn't a good coach or doesn't have the right staff, that is fine. But I don't think it's fair to suggest he recruit better... just because, at a school that has had more inconsistency then most (everyone else?) in an environment that 80% of your potential prospects want no part of.

That's the definition of potential. You could potentially be great. You could potentially suck.

No it's not, as that definition would render the word meaningless. To say he could potentially do anything on the scale of possible, is to say nothing.
My point is that you want to credit him with the wins. And use that as evidence of how great he can be. Fine. I can concede that, no problem.
But when other people point out the 17 losses in three years, and how bad some of them have been, you want to contextualize them. Mitigate them as evidence of how bad he can be.
If your point is that we really don't know anything about Narduzzi yet, as we have seen potential of both really bad and really good coaching, fine. He could be really great, or he could suck.
But then that would be all the more reason to demand greater recruiting results, right? Because if the coaching is a "TBD" right now, where does the, "first you coach up the average talent team to upper tier results, and then you get the upper tier recruits," faith come from? I'd be wanting the talent insurance policy to this "TBD" coaching.

We have an understanding then. I don't think any coach that Pitt would be able to land is going to recruit at the level you want until he starts winning. Here is an example. Chris Peterson at Washington. He is a name coach, and one of the best in college football. He still struggled coming out of the gate in recruiting.

2014 8-6 (4-5) 2.8
2015 7-6 (4-5) 3.11
2016 12-2 (8-1) 3.33
2017 10-3 (7-2) 3.52

It wasn't until his third year where they went 12-2 and made it into the playoffs that Peterson saw the same level of recruiting you seem to expect Pitt to have right now. Pitt is behind UW is most metrics and I don't think Pitt can improve it's recruiting much until Narduzzi proves more as a coach. Even Peterson had to win first, at a better program, and he had a better rep as a head coach.

But his recruiting improved every year. Do you not see that? Even when the record got worse.
Peterson was never regarded as a dynamic recruiter. That was just not his claim to fame. Even at Boise State, he wasn't somebody that people said, "Just wait until this personality gets to an actual talent rich location." He was always seen as more of an X's and O's type guy.
He gets to Washington. And has slowly built up the classes. Not because of winning per se. His classes have increased in quality at a pretty standard rate. 2.8 to 3.1. 3.1 to 3.3. 3.3 to 3.5.
This is a coach that isn't a dynamite recruiter, slowly reaping the recruiting seeds he has planted. His last class is now the kids he has recruited for 4 years. Take advantage of a down UCLA and Cal and Oregon, to steal the Cal and Oregon kids you've been recruiting for 3 to 4 years with your long game personality. I think that's great. But I don't think it proves the point you think it does.
Where are the recruiting seeds with this staff? Lets say Narduzzi isn't a Willie Taggart personality. He's more of a Peterson or McElwain personality. Going to need to recruit a kid for a few years before he lands him. The kids now in this class are the seeds Narduzzi planted 4 years ago. How come none of them are ready to be plucked? You honest to god think it's because he hasn't won 12 games yet? And that's what you're holding out hope for? The 12 game magic season?

Last edited:

Is it because you ask increasingly insane and open ended questions or is it because clear and factual answers that prove your wrong get you all hot and bothered?

If you want to argue the he isn't a good coach or doesn't have the right staff, that is fine. But I don't think it's fair to suggest he recruit better... just because, at a school that has had more inconsistency then most (everyone else?) in an environment that 80% of your potential prospects want no part of.

Hail:

Are you still trying to argue with these clowns? They don't want to discuss. They want to pontificate, bully, bloviate, spew negativity, set up unrealistic goals so they can be more critical in the future, especially Jpripper...

They are trolls...

Don't waste another second on them... Unfortunately they'll just change back to their former handles from 2012 and spew the same nonsense.... They have no lives...

Reactions: cashisking884
Hail:

Are you still trying to argue with these clowns? They don't want to discuss. They want to pontificate, bully, bloviate, spew negativity, set up unrealistic goals so they can be more critical in the future, especially Jpripper...

They are trolls...

Don't waste another second on them... Unfortunately they'll just change back to their former handles from 2012 and spew the same nonsense.... They have no lives...

I know you are but what am I?

No it's not, as that definition would render the word meaningless. To say he could potentially do anything on the scale of possible, is to say nothing.
My point is that you want to credit him with the wins. And use that as evidence of how great he can be. Fine. I can concede that, no problem.
But when other people point out the 17 losses in three years, and how bad some of them have been, you want to contextualize them. Mitigate them as evidence of how bad he can be.
If your point is that we really don't know anything about Narduzzi yet, as we have seen potential of both really bad and really good coaching, fine. He could be really great, or he could suck.
But then that would be all the more reason to demand greater recruiting results, right? Because if the coaching is a "TBD" right now, where does the, "first you coach up the average talent team to upper tier results, and then you get the upper tier recruits," faith come from? I'd be wanting the talent insurance policy to this "TBD" coaching.

No. You show a certain amount of potential by doing something. It still means that you might suck, and doesn't mean you are still par with everyone else. Beyond that, I'm not going to debate the word.

You are still missing my point, I think. NO COACH Pitt could land will be able to come in and recruit at a level of 3.3+ stars until he starts winning more games than the Pitt program is accustomed to. You would need to go back 30 or more years and 7-8 coaches ago to find a point where the coach was bringing in talent at the level you expect. It's not going to happen until Pitt hits the jackpot and has a coach who can win more games. Do they have that coach now? I don't know. The jury is still out.

Hail:

They are trolls...

I guess I have yet to learn my lesson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT