ADVERTISEMENT

The Hypocrisy that’s Going on in Recruiting

Fsgolfdr

Head Coach
Jan 6, 2012
The Qb who flipped from Georgia to Nebraska should just tell the truth , they made me an offer I couldn’t refuse . Who in their right mind is choosing Nebraska over Georgia In football ?

Unless Pitt finds a billionaire who adopts them as his pet project Pitt will become totally irrelevant in college football unless something changes .

The Qb who flipped from Georgia to Nebraska should just tell the truth , they made me an offer I couldn’t refuse . Who in their right mind is choosing Nebraska over Georgia In football ?

Unless Pitt finds a billionaire who adopts them as his pet project Pitt will become totally irrelevant in college football unless something changes .

His dad was a star OL for Nebraska. That said, they absolutely outbid Georgia. He was a kid they really had to pay a premium for him. Think of it this way, lets say Brian O'Neill's son is the #1 QB in the country in 20 years. Normally we'd have no shot, but if we can outbid everyone by a good amount, he could come here. I am sure Nebraska outbid UGa by 500K-$1 million.

His dad played at Nebraska. I’m sure money played a factor, but a lot of people were surprised he didn’t pick Nebraska initially.

The kid was a tO$U commit before flipping to Georgia and now Nebraska. Maybe they outbid the Dawgs or maybe his family history and his uncle being a coach in Lincoln had some sway too.

Either way he is taking on a monumental task in trying to bring the Huskers back to respectability.

His dad was a star OL for Nebraska. That said, they absolutely outbid Georgia. He was a kid they really had to pay a premium for him. Think of it this way, lets say Brian O'Neill's son is the #1 QB in the country in 20 years. Normally we'd have no shot, but if we can outbid everyone by a good amount, he could come here. I am sure Nebraska outbid UGa by 500K-$1 million.

I know a few graduates who donate at Nebraska. Steve lives on the same street as one of their beat writers. These are the numbers he passed along.
$1.5M to sign / freshman year, then $500K each additional year. That’s a base number, he could earn more from other NIL deals.

I know a few graduates who donate at Nebraska. Steve lives on the same street as one of their beat writers. These are the numbers he passed along.
$1.5M to sign / freshman year, then $500K each additional year. That’s a base number, he could earn more from other NIL deals.
That makes sense. There are no pro sports in Nebraska and people are starving for Cornhusker football to rise to prominence once again.

Reactions: Saboteur II
His dad played at Nebraska. I’m sure money played a factor, but a lot of people were surprised he didn’t pick Nebraska initially.
Pretty sure nobody was surprised that a kid who had this kid’s options didn’t choose Nebraska initially. This is all about money.

$1.5 million for FR
$500K SO
$500K JR

???

That sounds really low. I would have guessed $2 million/year for 3 years. And Im not counting "legit" NIL deals like if Lincoln Car Wash has him do a commercial. I mean just the booster pay for play salary.

No way. But God Bless Nebraska if they can commit a few million for a quarterback.

There's been rumblings that Georgia cooled on him because his senior season wasn't all that great. When you are Georgia, you can cool on a top ten recruit if it is indicated.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I am convinced that Scott Boras is creating a new division of his law practice assigned to represent these kids.

That day is right around the corner
It's in progress. My nephew is a U. of Michigan law student and clerked at a law firm in Ann Arbor in the summer of 2022 in a practice group that exclusively handled NIL for U of M and its athletes.

The kid was a tO$U commit before flipping to Georgia and now Nebraska. Maybe they outbid the Dawgs or maybe his family history and his uncle being a coach in Lincoln had some sway too.

Either way he is taking on a monumental task in trying to bring the Huskers back to respectability.
It would be funny if now they go back to the Tom Osborne I-option offense and Raiola sits the bench for 4 years.

• Haha
Reactions: ShipofFools
If I were a highly regarded QB, I would avoid the blue bloods like the plague. Like, I don't understand why QB's still commit to ND when they just head to the portal every year for a new starter. Better to go somewhere with a thin depth chart and transfer later. So far as NIL funds go, someone is always going to be dumb enough to try to throw more at you so why not create some value, first?

If I were a highly regarded QB, I would avoid the blue bloods like the plague. Like, I don't understand why QB's still commit to ND when they just head to the portal every year for a new starter. Better to go somewhere with a thin depth chart and transfer later. So far as NIL funds go, someone is always going to be dumb enough to try to throw more at you so why not create some value, first?

I'm thinking they probably get a bag when they commit to a blue blood and then know that whether it works out (blue blood pays to keep them) or not (lesser program throws big money at someone coming from a marquee program) they'll always be able to get another bag that way. So, regardless of what happens, they'll hope to find a starting spot by around year 3 or 4 while already having collected multiple bags.

If their goal is to be the best they can be and be on the fastest track to the NFL, I agree with you. I just don't know if these guys view things through that lens.

I'm thinking they probably get a bag when they commit to a blue blood and then know that whether it works out (blue blood pays to keep them) or not (lesser program throws big money at someone coming from a marquee program) they'll always be able to get another bag that way. So, regardless of what happens, they'll hope to find a starting spot by around year 3 or 4 while already having collected multiple bags.

If their goal is to be the best they can be and be on the fastest track to the NFL, I agree with you. I just don't know if these guys view things through that lens.
Well, some people think these guys are getting big bags wherever they commit. I don't but that's another story and I'm not about to try to argue something like that. At the end of the day, the real money is in the NFL. Like everything, this will level out when it all settles down.

Exactly. You can get a nice payday today, or go to a non-blue blood and hope you earn that nice payday later. It’s not a difficult decision.

The family didn’t want him playing under Scott Frost. When Frost was fired, his uncle was retained by Rhule. Changed the entire equation, the rest is history

And Rhule was hired a year ago.

Yeah? I’m not sure I understand.
Dylan was being recruited by OS, Georgia and other big name schools. While Frost was coaching, his uncle knew of all the problems outside of football he was having. So he went another direction. Rhule proved to the family he would get the program turned around. Which opened the door again for them to reconsider Nebraska.
Matt’s is a great guy, good coach. College football needs that

Reactions: TempleBAPittMPA

Yea, like Arch Manning. Why sit? Who likes to sit?

If I am a 5 star QB, I am asking for 7 figures + a guaranteed starting position. If a blue blood cant guarantee it, Im going to Pitt, WVU, Indiana, Maryland, whoever it is that guarantees it. If I have a good season there, I go into the portal and hopefully land at a blue blood.

Reactions: Tucker99
We have 5*, elite recruits now spurring the dominate powers for Nebraska, and this is evidence of the downfall of college football?

He is going to the highest bidder, most likely. Pitt will essentially be the Pirates, but 10x worse.

Are you saying that you dont believe 5 star QBs arent getting 7 figures?
What was stated was a several million dollar commitment from Nebraska, not just 7 figures. And this is a high school kid. Now several million for an established high level college quarterback looking to transfer.... sure, I can buy that.

And one more thing, the high school kid could commit to Nebraska for 1.5 million for his freshman year and then transfer right out to an actual good team his sophomore year. It's not like he is signing a contract to stay with Nebraska for 4 years as part of the NIL deal. If I am Nebraska there is no way I am giving up 1.5 million for someone's freshman year of eligibility only and risk them leaving in year two.

He is going to the highest bidder, most likely. Pitt will essentially be the Pirates, but 10x worse.

I get that.

But that is actually leveling the playing field.

It just didn’t even out amongst all schools in college football. But that is never going to happen and cannot happen.

We have 5 stars spurring the elite powers.
We have recruiting class rankings getting closer in average recruit quality.
We have 5* players being spread out more than ever before.

Things are actually better from a competitive balance stand point than they’ve been in a long time.

• Haha
What was stated was a several million dollar commitment from Nebraska, not just 7 figures. And this is a high school kid. Now several million for an established high level college quarterback looking to transfer.... sure, I can buy that.

And one more thing, the high school kid could commit to Nebraska for 1.5 million for his freshman year and then transfer right out to an actual good team his sophomore year. It's not like he is signing a contract to stay with Nebraska for 4 years as part of the NIL deal. If I am Nebraska there is no way I am giving up 1.5 million for someone's freshman year of eligibility only and risk them leaving in year two.

The NIL deal could be for multiple years. How much do you think Nebraska is paying him next season? 250K?

Everything is so backwards it’s almost unbelievable with recruiting…. Most schools can buy a team every single offseason, then just backfill… And it’s only gonna get worse imagine this in 5yrs from now…

I get that.

But that is actually leveling the playing field.

It just didn’t even out amongst all schools in college football. But that is never going to happen and cannot happen.

We have 5 stars spurring the elite powers.
We have recruiting class rankings getting closer in average recruit quality.
We have 5* players being spread out more than ever before.

Things are actually better from a competitive balance stand point than they’ve been in a long time.

I disagree. Things might be getting closer for some programs at or near the top, but they are/will be getting further apart for others as programs aim to horde large pieces of the pie

Everything is so backwards it’s almost unbelievable with recruiting…. Most schools can buy a team every single offseason, then just backfill… And it’s only gonna get worse imagine this in 5yrs from now…

I think its going to get better in about 10 years or so when they are employees and there is a salary cap.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT