ADVERTISEMENT

The Hypocrisy that’s Going on in Recruiting

I disagree. Things might be getting closer for some programs at or near the top, but they are/will be getting further apart for others as programs aim to horde large pieces of the pie
Kids have been getting cash/gifts for a long time. SEC kids have talked about it for years. The new rules just legitimize it so more schools are willing to play along, now.

Reactions: cashisking884
Is it really any more hypocritical than the rest of college football?

You have oft-departing coaches talking about "family", Narduzzi's "aww shucks I don't even know or care what my salary is", and Dabo's $7million+ (plus free cars, condos, and country club memberships) talking about athletes' "entitlement".

You have universities talking about the importance of athletes as students and tradition while pushing them into worthless but easy majors, working them 40+ hours per week on football, employing an small army of "tutors" to "help with assignments", dropping century-old rivalries in order to get the biggest bag, etc.

College football has always been a disgusting pit of hypocrisy, now the players are just able to get in on it a bit more.

Reactions: ThePanthers
I disagree. Things might be getting closer for some programs at or near the top, but they are/will be getting further apart for others as programs aim to horde large pieces of the pie

They’ve always been far apart.

The problem in college football isn’t that Syracuse stopped being able to win the national title.

It’s that the gulf between Bama-UGA-OSU-X and say Tenn or Michigan or programs like that, became so wide.

But college football has never been a sport where it’s anybody’s year. That’s the entire reason why conference championships and Apple Cup trophies became such a big deal. That’s the best you could hope for compared to the Tier 1 schools.

They’ve always been far apart.

The problem in college football isn’t that Syracuse stopped being able to win the national title.

It’s that the gulf between Bama-UGA-OSU-X and say Tenn or Michigan or programs like that, became so wide.

But college football has never been a sport where it’s anybody’s year. That’s the entire reason why conference championships and Apple Cup trophies became such a big deal. That’s the best you could hope for compared to the Tier 1 schools.

I think we will end up with the haves pretty much systematically getting rid of the have nots. It's going to be one big league for the top programs, and then everyone else. They've already done so with TV money. Tens of millions more per year for those in the BIG and SEC is a huge advantage. Way larger than before. That's just conference revenue. Now, we will have the best players from non tier 1 schools transferring every year. Those players were one of the reasons those schools had a chance. You have a dynamic QB? Well, better capitalize on him in year one, else he's going to get millions to transfer and compete for the national championships the following season.

I think we will end up with the haves pretty much systematically getting rid of the have nots. It's going to be one big league for the top programs, and then everyone else. They've already done so with TV money. Tens of millions more per year for those in the BIG and SEC is a huge advantage. Way larger than before. That's just conference revenue. Now, we will have the best players from non tier 1 schools transferring every year. Those players were one of the reasons those schools had a chance. You have a dynamic QB? Well, better capitalize on him in year one, else he's going to get millions to transfer and compete for the national championships the following season.

I think that’s true too.

But my point is that NIL seems to be leveling the playing field amongst the Tier I in ways we haven’t seen in a long time, and perhaps expanding the list of Tier I.

Ole Miss will probably be a preseason Top 5 team and trendy NC title contender pick with what they have done in the portal to add to their team. That just isn’t anything many of us expected to say even 3 years ago.

If the argument is, “well they don’t count, it doesn’t count until Rutgers is a legit national title contender,” then there isn’t an argument.

Any school that doesn’t have at least one whale who decides to throw millions into winning simply will not be able to compete .

It will always be the amount of money , especially if it’s guaranteed.

This should hasten the process of making super conferences and if I was one of the weaker schools in one of those conferences I‘d be a little concerned .

The only question in hiring the new next hot coach would be how much NIL money do you have ?

The list of Professional sports teams now includes D1 Fb and Bb .

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT