ADVERTISEMENT

Tory Verdi’s Mouth

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
The Pitt women beat Lehigh 94-82 on Sunday. I watched most of the game, and it was a fun, defense-optional affair. Lehigh had been 8-1 against very minor opposition. They had no height, but they had one 3 point shooter who scored 37 because Pitt let her have uncontested shot after uncontested shot. She was 10-17 from 3, and not one of them involved a dribble. Their offense was simple. Washenitz was guarding her, but every time another Lehigh player received the ball within 15 feet of her, Washenitz would help out on the other player, who would pass then the ball to the unguarded Ella Stremmer, who would drain the three. It was not until early in the 4th quarter that Washenitz stopped helping out and leaving her unguarded.

Anyway, Pitt took advantage of a big height and quickness advantage to pull away with a nice 15-1 game ending run.

Then, Verdi talked to the press. He praised his team’s defense, and then said “We made them quit.”

What an asinine thing to say. Lehigh never quit. Ran out of gas maybe, but how can he say they quit. The excitement of a come from behind victory against 5 white girls under 6 feet tall who play in the Patriot League is no excuse for that statement. If he already hasn’t, I hope he apologizes to their coach soon.

I suspect when we get into ACC play we will lose some games by more than 12, and I hope no opposing coach says we quit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News