ADVERTISEMENT

UCF is going to get in a P5 conference

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Its a matter of time. They are basically the new TCU. They aren't going to sit there in that market with the fanbase they are building and not be sought after by a P5. They'll be in a P5 within 5 years. Either the Big 12, Big 10, or ACC. You can bet that.

I realize some will say they dont fit the Big 10's geographic and academic profile but that's overrated. The Big 10 is the only P5 league without a team in one of the Big 3 football states (FL, CA, TX) and Delaney thinks like me. The question is, if you are the ACC, do you let the B12 or B10 take them?

Its a matter of time. They are basically the new TCU. They aren't going to sit there in that market with the fanbase they are building and not be sought after by a P5. They'll be in a P5 within 5 years. Either the Big 12, Big 10, or ACC. You can bet that.

I realize some will say they dont fit the Big 10's geographic and academic profile but that's overrated. The Big 10 is the only P5 league without a team in one of the Big 3 football states (FL, CA, TX) and Delaney thinks like me. The question is, if you are the ACC, do you let the B12 or B10 take them?

I think USF is in the same boat. They were rolling when Taggert was there, and they’ve proven they can hang with the big boys in college football.

Reactions: DORT

I think USF is in the same boat. They were rolling when Taggert was there, and they’ve proven they can hang with the big boys in college football.

Maybe but I don't think a P5 takes them unless they get an on-campus stadium. They have major attendance issues and that stadium is too big and it looks terrible on TV. They are doing a feasibility study for an OCS

Reactions: Outdoorsman814

Delaney thinks like me.

That's rich....

Ucf to big 10 would be a gold mine for that school. Also would get big 10 into Florida, expanding their footprint.

If all else fails, I’d assume they’d take an invite to the acc, for money reasons but obviously they’d covet a big 10 or sec invite first.

Ucf to big 10 would be a gold mine for that school. Also would get big 10 into Florida, expanding their footprint.

If all else fails, I’d assume they’d take an invite to the acc, for money reasons but obviously they’d covet a big 10 or sec invite first.
Great another team guaranteed to pound the living crap out of Pitt every season! LOL!

I'd place this at an absolute 0% in the next 5 years.

I doubt that Miami and FSU would let them into the ACC.

They wouldn't want it but the ACC may not want the B10 or B12 in Florida. The ACC may have to be proactive and add them and lets not forget Tallahassee and Miami couldn't be further away in the state. Orlando is a heck of a market smack dab in the middle

They wouldn't want it but the ACC may not want the B10 or B12 in Florida. The ACC may have to be proactive and add them and lets not forget Tallahassee and Miami couldn't be further away in the state. Orlando is a heck of a market smack dab in the middle

The Big XII didn't add UCF last time specifically because UCF doesn't move the needle. Why would they add them this time?
Maybe the Big Ten does, but I doubt it.

And Miami, FSU, and UF would never let them join the ACC or SEC.
The problem for UCF is only two conferences would want them. One of them probably won't be around in another 5 years. So it's basically the Big Ten or bust for UCF.

Reactions: Jpripper88
I would then ask FSU & Miami why they were so scared.

No team would allow it. It's why South Carolina, UGA, Texas A&M, and UF all have an agreement to ban together and not vote for any other school in that state to join the conference.

Yet, VT and Miami were allowed in. The ACC is different when it comes to that.

FSU didn't fight Miami. They didn't really have anything to lose from it, they only gained. Same thing with UVA.
That's not the same thing for UF as it relates to the FL schools, or FSU and Miami as it relates to the G5 FL schools.
The ACC is no different when it comes to that.

The Big XII didn't add UCF last time specifically because UCF doesn't move the needle. Why would they add them this time?
Maybe the Big Ten does, but I doubt it.

And Miami, FSU, and UF would never let them join the ACC or SEC.
The problem for UCF is only two conferences would want them. One of them probably won't be around in another 5 years. So it's basically the Big Ten or bust for UCF.
actually, the big12 didn't add anyone because ESPN paid them a bunch of money not to.

Last I checked, the B1G was doing just fine but if Delaney got an itch, he's going to go fishing for whales.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
ACC should invite UCF and UConn in the near future. I want UConn because it will boost basketball, they’ll be back probably soon to competing. Also from our standpoint, those were some great pitt-UConn battles. UCF just makes sense geographically, they’ve built a great football program, and it’s probabaly only a matter of time before they get an invite from someone.

ACC should invite UCF and UConn in the near future. I want UConn because it will boost basketball, they’ll be back probably soon to competing. Also from our standpoint, those were some great pitt-UConn battles. UCF just makes sense geographically, they’ve built a great football program, and it’s probabaly only a matter of time before they get an invite from someone.
The only school(s) that should be added are ones that move the needle in football. UCF and UConn do not move the needle.

Reactions: cashisking884
The only school(s) that should be added are ones that move the needle in football. UCF and UConn do not move the needle.
Fair point regarding UConn and football. You don’t think UCF moves the needle in football though? I don’t know if anyone would more than them really. I don’t see the ACC poaching from another P5 conference or ND fully committing to the ACC, what better G5 options are out there?

Reactions: Shark19
Fair point regarding UConn and football. You don’t think UCF moves the needle in football though? I don’t know if anyone would more than them really. I don’t see the ACC poaching from another P5 conference or ND fully committing to the ACC, what better G5 options are out there?
UCF could very well fall to a middle of the pack AAC team, and avg. 25k a year in a year or two. I would advocate for swinging for the fences with Texas or just stay pat.

Last edited:
These same posts come out about a different group of 5 team every few years. Boise St. USF. Houston. Now UCF.

Could one of them get in one day? Sure. But it would have to take significant timing and another major shift of the landscape IMO. Utah, Louisville, and TCU made it in from the outside, but it took major changes and broken plans for that to happen (ie. Texas turning down the Pac, everyone leaving the BigXII, Maryland leaving the ACC). None of those 3 were added just to expand. I would guess the same would be applied to the Boise St, USF, UCF, Houston or whatever hot teams are out there at the moment.

Honestly, the only 2 programs I can see be added to a conference to actually start expansion w/o any other moves are ND and BYU.

UCF could very well fall to a middle of the pack AAC team, and avg. 25k a year in a year or two. I would advocate for swinging for the fences with Texas or just stay pat.
They definitely could, that’s always a possibility with mid majors. Texas though? Wow, that really is swinging for the fences. Obviously any conference would be thrilled to have that money maker. Are there rumors of their discontent with the Big 12? I think the big 12 needs to expand which might set more realignment in motion again. If they lose another school, especially Texas, the conference may cease to exist.

UCF has an on-campus stadium and it will be sold out against Pitt on Saturday 45-to 50K. USF attendance lately has not been good. They report about 33 to 35K sold but really only have about 25K butts in the seats and they are winning. The Big 12 should of taken UCF and USF. The problem is they are greedy and don't want any more revenue sharing until a new TV deal can be worked out. They might take us if ESPN tells them we will give you a lot more money if you add UCF and USF. I think both schools would add a lot to the Big 12. Texas calls the shots in the Big 12. As you know put UCF or USF in a P5 conference and we will get better recruits and build both programs pretty quickly. Miami and FSU would do everything in their power to block UCF or USF from joining the ACC. When USF was a member of the Big East they beat both Miami and FSU so those schools would know what is coming. USF got top notch recruits when they were in the Big East.

even when UCF went 0-12 in 2015 we averaged over 30K. We've never averaged below 30K since opening up the new stadium in 2007. If we are a mid pack AAC team in 2 years, which is possible though not very likely, we'd still average around 35K+.

As you can see with this Pitt game being sold out when "big" teams come into Orlando UCF fans show up. Look at Boston College, Miami, etc. Whenever an ACC team comes to town we sell out. If we have FSU/Miami coming to town every year you can bet we'd expand stadium and have 60K+ every week.

If UCF were in the ACC we'd average between 55-60K which would be good for 4-6 in the ACC and well above the bottom 5-6 teams of the ACC which averages between 26K and 35K.

That said FSU and Miami would never, ever allow UCF to join the ACC.

Serious question. Have you already forgot your roots?

Do you not remember being apart of the P6 / 6 AQ conferences just a few short years ago? Have you already allow yourselves to be brainwashed by the ESP5N Cartel?

Not sure what you are questioning here? For the most part, the number of teams have stayed the same from when there was the 6 BCS conferences. Just shuffled around and consolidated. From the original BCS conferences from 1998, and even before that, the bowl alliance conferences from I believe 1993, only Temple has been dumped and Louisville, Utah and TCU have been added.

Not sure what you are questioning here? For the most part, the number of teams have stayed the same from when there was the 6 BCS conferences. Just shuffled around and consolidated. From the original BCS conferences from 1998, and even before that, the bowl alliance conferences from I believe 1993, only Temple has been dumped and Louisville, Utah and TCU have been added.

Tempe wasn't "dumped", Temple was embargoed from ALL-SPORTS membership.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT