ADVERTISEMENT

Undisciplined

pbrad

Sophomore
Sep 27, 2009
Is PITT the most undisciplined football team in college? I'm sure there is an over/under on how many penalties they will take and that number has to be 10. I know some on here blame the refs, but this happens every week with different refs. Poor coaching.

It’s true. There have been some bad calls. But overall the team has just been a disaster regardless of who they are playing and who the refs are.

Reactions: columbus mike
Be prepared for a bunch of comments about how the referees are against us because we’re from the north, and that the ACC demands that the referees call every game in favor of southern teams.

Zubovic 6th year senior back to back false starts - get him out of there - might as well play a younger kid than Kradel who ends up in the backfield as much as that bum the Steelers drafted out of Illinois a few years ago.

Just go youth movement and then the mistakes will make sense - the 6th year DL and OL need to move on they didn't provide any leadership nor skill to this team (2-7) just wasting the universities money having them take a spot on the roster for the 6th time.

It's not just the undisciplined part of things. It's the seeming lack of accountability for the guys who do the undisciplined things. No one gets benched (even for a series or two).

Reactions: sonofabit
Most penalties are about discipline except for maybeeeee holding. I only say that because holding could be called almost every play so its more of when a ref calls it.

But false starts and the like are all about discipline. 90% of personal fouls are discipline too but I would not want to be a lineman today with the roughing the passer calls.

Pittt seeeeems like an undisciplined team but so many other are as well.

The players are out there making the mistakes and it falls on what is done during the practice week. I think we’ve all seen teams at all levels make changes and all of a sudden you see the penalties each week go up or down.

I mean ffs a rb got called twice for a false start in a relatively short period of time. Ridiculous.

false starts, delay of games....big drive killers especially from an offense that is ground and pound and short on explosive plays (very similar to Stillers).

The time out on 4th and goal from the one? WTF? What did you need to strategize there for? And even after the TO, the defense looked confused.

Reactions: 303vND
We are the third most penalized team in the country. I know we’re always up there, but this year it’s less penalties from aggressive play (which doesn’t bother me too much), and even more from dumb undisciplined nonsense (false starts, personal fouls, etc.)
  • 133rd- Colorado - 9.3 penalties/gm
  • 132nd- New Mexico- 9.0 penalties/gm
  • 131st- Pittsburgh- 8.9 penalties/gm
  • 130th- UMass- 8.6 penalties/gm
  • 129th- Tennessee- 8.1 penalties/gm
  • 128th- USC- 8.0 penalties/gm

We get penalties on players who aren’t even in the game on the sideline after a dead ball.

Reactions: s.a.titan
Is PITT the most undisciplined football team in college? I'm sure there is an over/under on how many penalties they will take and that number has to be 10. I know some on here blame the refs, but this happens every week with different refs. Poor coaching.

No, Tennessee, Michigan St, USC, Colorado, Washington all have more penalty yards per game than we do for P5, but we are definitely up there.

I am not sure how it is the coaches fault for 4-5 false starts per game, which happens. Our press defense style will always lead to some holding and PIs, so we have to live with that. I consider discipline issues being a lot of late hits, or crazy after the whistle plays, like ... the Wake Forest game with one of our guys dragging a player 5 yards, that was a clear lack of discipline play

No, Tennessee, Michigan St, USC, Colorado, Washington all have more penalty yards per game than we do for P5, but we are definitely up there.

I am not sure how it is the coaches fault for 4-5 false starts per game, which happens. Our press defense style will always lead to some holding and PIs, so we have to live with that. I consider discipline issues being a lot of late hits, or crazy after the whistle plays, like ... the Wake Forest game with one of our guys dragging a player 5 yards, that was a clear lack of discipline play
It's not always penalty yardage, it's where on the field and when in the game that matters the most. PITT is the 3rd most penalized team in the nation and penalties have cost them games. Ask Nick Saban if he would put up with 4-5 false starts a game or back to back false starts on the same player.

It's not always penalty yardage, it's where on the field and when in the game that matters the most. PITT is the 3rd most penalized team in the nation and penalties have cost them games. Ask Nick Saban if he would put up with 4-5 false starts a game or back to back false starts on the same player.
Alabama had 9 pre-snap penalties in one game this year. I think it was the Texas A&M game.

Ass on bench sends signal to brain!
Exactly. Dabo pulled a DT after one - that’s one - encroachment call. Not only did the underperformance of Pitt’s super seniors cost us games - literally - but the number of recruits who couldn’t come on board because of roster makeup and game experience for next year and this year for that matter.

Reactions: s.a.titan
They might be different refs, but they fall under the same heading, ACC, who really runs the show and could determine the outcome of a game

Pitt is definitely very undisciplined and that responsibility falls on the coach as well as the players. When you have a bunch of hot dogs on the team, that's what you get. And the unforced errors are just dumb football. Don't blame the refs for Pitt's lack of discipline.

Reactions: pbrad
Alabama had 9 pre-snap penalties in one game this year. I think it was the Texas A&M game.
Yeah, a Pitt home game is probably equally as loud and disruptive to the home offense as an away game at A&M...

They might be different refs, but they fall under the same heading, ACC, who really runs the show and could determine the outcome of a game
just to get this straight....some ref sees a facemask and thinks in that instant..."i'm gonna get these damn Yankees on this one to avenge what they did to Old Bobby Lee. I mean everyone sees the facemask but I see Atlanta burning" and never considers the ramifications for his employment not to mention his personal embarrassment as his obvious non call is seen on national tv as the acc has his back and its all part of the Master Plan......that's funny and somewhat deranged.....

Reactions: pbrad
Yeah, a Pitt home game is probably equally as loud and disruptive to the home offense as an away game at A&M...
9 pre-snap penalties is a little excessive, don't you think?

There is nothing special about playing at TAMU. Every SEC team faces a hostile environment in almost every away game, unless they are playing in Nashville.

Yeah, but Narduzzi didnt either, he immediately pulled him.

We are pretty stuck with our Oline, we are very thin there

Most penalties are about discipline except for maybeeeee holding. I only say that because holding could be called almost every play so its more of when a ref calls it.

But false starts and the like are all about discipline. 90% of personal fouls are discipline too but I would not want to be a lineman today with the roughing the passer calls.

Pittt seeeeems like an undisciplined team but so many other are as well.
but so many other are as well.

Actually, only two D1 teams out of 133 are worse. Pitt is 131st in penalties per game. Just for reference:

2022: 115.
2021: 87
2020: 114
2019: 121
2018: 102
2017: 3
2016: 50
2015: 19

Strange that it started so well and then fell off a cliff in 2018. You would expect it to trend the opposite direction the longer a coach is at a program.

but so many other are as well.

Actually, only two D1 teams out of 133 are worse. Pitt is 131st in penalties per game. Just for reference:

2022: 115.
2021: 87
2020: 114
2019: 121
2018: 102
2017: 3
2016: 50
2015: 19

Strange that it started so well and then fell off a cliff in 2018. You would expect it to trend the opposite direction the longer a coach is at a program.
Not necessarily, his coaches and kids learn what is tolerated and perform accordingly.

Off sides is not the problem with the coaches! Every player knows the count when they break the huddle. Concentrating is on the player!
This is the kind of comment that only someone who has never played a sport at any competitive level makes.

Practice is about coaches making sure their players are executing their jobs as close to perfectly as possible so that when game time comes, they don't make the kinds of preventable mental errors that hurt your chances to win games. You drill it into them in practice with repetition, and with punishment for repeated failures. If you ever played football, you probably still hear one of your coaches yelling "run it again!" in your sleep.

This is the kind of comment that only someone who has never played a sport at any competitive level makes.

Practice is about coaches making sure their players are executing their jobs as close to perfectly as possible so that when game time comes, they don't make the kinds of preventable mental errors that hurt your chances to win games. You drill it into them in practice with repetition, and with punishment for repeated failures. If you ever played football, you probably still hear one of your coaches yelling "run it again!" in your sleep.
Ha, I played college football and concentration is on the players! Offsides is a brain fart, a lack of concentration.

You sound like you have never practiced snap count!

Ha, I played college football and concentration is on the players! Offsides is a brain fart, a lack of concentration.

You sound like you have never practiced snap count!
So did I, I was a defensive player, and we got our asses kicked on our reads and the execution of our stuff until we could do it all in our sleep. I felt bad for the OLs and WRs at our practices, when we scrimmaged or did half line and they jumped everyone on offense had to pay the price.

Maybe Duzzi and Cig don't spend any time on snap count. Or special teams.

Everyone F's up mentallly once in a while, but when you're one of the most penalized teams in the country 5 years running, there's a problem beyond player "concentration".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT