ADVERTISEMENT

USF stupidly wasting money on an on-campus stadium

That's what they say, but Pitt's recruiting has been the same for a long time now.
Don't know that I can agree judging by the number of players landing in the league or the trend with on-field results. Think it just took a while for someone to figure out how to sell it. Even if you don't want to call it a benefit, it sure isn't something that detracts from the program.

Don't know that I can agree judging by the number of players landing in the league or the trend with on-field results. Think it just took a while for someone to figure out how to sell it. Even if you don't want to call it a benefit, it sure isn't something that detracts from the program.
Great point. Most kids want to play in the NFL. They’ve learned how to sell it. That and the fact that Pitt is sending more kids to the NFL makes Pitt a more viable option.

Great point. Most kids want to play in the NFL. They’ve learned how to sell it. That and the fact that Pitt is sending more kids to the NFL makes Pitt a more viable option.
It's not going to sell 5-star talent on Pitt. Those kids can find the league wherever they play. It's the lower end 4-star and 3-star kids that get the most benefit. These kids don't have gobs of talent but Duzz is running the program along side of the Steelers and teaching these kids how to prepare. It's obvious by the level of player that's making NFL rosters. They see what the NFL players are doing and emulate it. You can have all the talent in the world but that game prep and football IQ matters. That's the benefit.

Questions: How would an on campus stadium affect Pitt’s relationship with the Steelers?

Would Pitt still practice at the UPMC Sports Performance Complex?

The relationship with the Steelers has been very valuable to the program.

If an on campus stadium adversely affects that relationship, is the on campus stadium worth it?
Pitt's relationship with the steelers would go unnoticed by the steelers, except for their being a couple of more open parking spaces being available each day.
In reference to where would Pitt practice, I'd say that it would occur at their own on campus stadium.
Just wondering how can you objectively prove that the steelers relationship with Pitt has been very valuable over the years? It's not like a lot of the current coaches and past players that have college age kids that play football have committed to Pitt
So, YES an on campus stadium is absolutely worth it.

Pitt's relationship with the steelers would go unnoticed by the steelers, except for their being a couple of more open parking spaces being available each day.
In reference to where would Pitt practice, I'd say that it would occur at their own on campus stadium.
Just wondering how can you objectively prove that the steelers relationship with Pitt has been very valuable over the years? It's not like a lot of the current coaches and past players that have college age kids that play football have committed to Pitt
I base it on comments from the recruits and coaches. I’m asking the questions for discussion. You obviously believe that it would have no effect at all. The only way to really find out is ask the players themselves whether practicing next door to the Steelers had any bearing on their decision to come to Pitt. As pittdan77 pointed out you won’t land 5 Star talent with that arrangement, but it could help you land players like Kancey.

Reactions: pittdan77
I base it on comments from the recruits and coaches. I’m asking the questions for discussion. You obviously believe that it would have no effect at all. The only way to really find out is ask the players themselves whether practicing next door to the Steelers had any bearing on their decision to come to Pitt. As pittdan77 pointed out you won’t land 5 Star talent with that arrangement, but it could help you land players like Kancey.

There are a million reasons why a player does or doesn't come to Pitt. I doubt the Steelers were the deciding factor for a single player. I do believe the lack of a gameday atmosphere was the deciding factor for many players. I know players talk about sharing with the Steelers in positive ways but these are typically softball questions asked of them: "Jimmy, what did you think about the idea you get to practice next to the Steelers?" What do you think he's going to say??

Reactions: cbpitt2
There are absolutely zero P5 football programs - maybe even zero FBS football programs - who practice every day inside their stadium on the game day field. Having an on-campus stadium without a practice facility would be such a severe downgrade in almost every possible area.

Reactions: Celtsfan
Our relationship with the Steelers does not help recruiting. Narduzzi's recruiting has been worse on paper than his predecessors' (and even if you don't subscribe to recruiting rankings being accurate, you can see that we're very seldom beating out big time schools for players these days). He's just a hell of a lot better at either finding or developing unheralded players. Unless we're a "system defense" that would succeed with any personnel (within reason; they'd obviously have to fit the system).

A new, right-sized stadium would absolutely improve recruiting, because we would finally have a solid atmosphere for teams other than ND, PSU, and WVU. Would I want this hypothetical stadium to be on campus? Eff no.

Last edited:
They could have found room for a workout facility, study halls other places, and smoothie bars other places.
Are you suggesting those things would be better placed somewhere not near dormitories rather than where they are building them that is near several dormitories?

Lets build the study halls on the north shore and bus the students that want to use them there everyday to make room for an on-campus football stadium.

And the notion that the Field House is a "perfectly good" venue could only be uttered by someone who doesn't care about the sports that play there at all. Or who hasn't actually been in the Field House in literally decades.

Or, most likely, both of those.
It sucked when I was in school - and I graduated in 2002

Are you suggesting those things would be better placed somewhere not near dormitories rather than where they are building them that is near several dormitories?

Lets build the study halls on the north shore and bus the students that want to use them there everyday to make room for an on-campus football stadium.

Im saying you can find space for a weight room and study hall.

It's not going to sell 5-star talent on Pitt. Those kids can find the league wherever they play. It's the lower end 4-star and 3-star kids that get the most benefit. These kids don't have gobs of talent but Duzz is running the program along side of the Steelers and teaching these kids how to prepare. It's obvious by the level of player that's making NFL rosters. They see what the NFL players are doing and emulate it. You can have all the talent in the world but that game prep and football IQ matters. That's the benefit.
Serious question ... I'm thinking of some high ranked local guys here -- would Lamont Wade be in the NFL if he chose Pitt? Would Rushel Shell be in the NFL if he stayed at Pitt his whole career? Would Robert Foster have had more of an NFL career (e.g., a Tyler Boyd-type career) had he played at Pitt?

Reactions: pittdan77
Serious question ... I'm thinking of some high ranked local guys here -- would Lamont Wade be in the NFL if he chose Pitt? Would Rushel Shell be in the NFL if he stayed at Pitt his whole career? Would Robert Foster have had more of an NFL career (e.g., a Tyler Boyd-type career) had he played at Pitt?
I think his height would have limited Wade in the NFL no matter where he went to college.

I do believe that it has little to no effect on most recruits. That being said, I am quite sure that there will always be some who are impressed by having the steelers next door. I just think that having a brand new on campus stadium will generate more excitement and interest playing for Pitt then having the steelers next door.

What a waste. They have an excellent NFL venue that is great for college football. They should be spending this money on what's actually important like Olympic sports and academics.

Actually, they should be spending more on academics.

Lets consider the fact that Pitt has outstanding academics/research and their Health Professions (Medicine/ Pharmacy/Nursing etc.) are ALL ranked in the Top 20 by US News "Americas Best Graduate Schools".

The National Institute of Health (NIH) recognized the quality of Pitt's academics/research and awarded them $675.4 million in research funding in 2022 (#3 of all universities receiving NIH funding).

That level of funding per year could build almost 2 USF stadiums ( $340 million/ 35,000 capacity).

Pitt has a great situation at Heinz/Acrisure stadium. When Pitt needs capacity (Notre Dame, West Virginia) Heinz can hold 75,000 fans and when they don't they only need 50,000 capacity (flex capacity/tarp it).

Since the stadium is only used 7 times a year (28 hours/yr by Pitt) let the Steelers/Stadium Authority pay for the upgrades.

My Club Level seats are great and I can handle going to Heinz Field 7 times a year for Pitt games (Bars and Restaurants around Heinz are also great for pre and post game).

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
What a waste. They have an excellent NFL venue that is great for college football. They should be spending this money on what's actually important like Olympic sports and academics.

LOL! Academics and education is the #1 priority and mission of any university, anywhere. You're a fool to think otherwise. Oh wait....I forgot who I was replying to. Never mind.

Reactions: PittED2001
Actually, they should be spending more on academics.

Lets consider the fact that Pitt has outstanding academics/research and their Health Professions (Medicine/ Pharmacy/Nursing etc.) are ALL ranked in the Top 20 by US News "Americas Best Graduate Schools".

The National Institute of Health (NIH) recognized the quality of Pitt's academics/research and awarded them $675.4 million in research funding in 2022 (#3 of all universities receiving NIH funding).

That level of funding per year could build almost 2 USF stadiums ( $340 million/ 35,000 capacity).

Pitt has a great situation at Heinz/Acrisure stadium. When Pitt needs capacity (Notre Dame, West Virginia) Heinz can hold 75,000 fans and when they don't they only need 50,000 capacity (flex capacity/tarp it).

Since the stadium is only used 7 times a year (28 hours/yr by Pitt) let the Steelers/Stadium Authority pay for the upgrades.

My Club Level seats are great and I can handle going to Heinz Field 7 times a year for Pitt games (Bars and Restaurants around Heinz are also great for pre and post game).

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

The more they spend on academics, the better. That's their mission, not sports.

Reactions: Panthergrowl13

There are discussions that have been going on about the Steelers leaving the South Side and building a new practice facility somewhere. The current facility is very small by NFL standards and there are people inside the Steelers' organization who believe that the facility is detrimental to their free agent recruiting efforts. I do not know how serious the discussions are, but they have taken place and such a move is on the table. What would happen to the facility overall if the Steelers were to leave should be a concern to this program.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
The area of campus where the stadium is being located is devoid of much else. So it won't be much of a game day experience. Nor will people be hanging around because the USF campus isn't in the nicest end of town. In fact, it's kind of skeezy.

Furthermore, the construction costs are going to HEAVILY financed by liens on revenue streams. With thier sparse crowds, it will be time for a new stadium by the time the construction liens are paid off. And why build a new stadium when USF has ZERO hope of getting into a Power 5 conference -- even less so in the new world order of college football?
Spend a couple of hours at Busch Gardens and then catch a game.

I won't pretend that there are any certainties with them or anyone else. Not trying to over sell it, either. Still comes down to the kid buying into what is being taught and picking up those habits. They would have had that exposure to what football looks like at that level.

Foster had the door open for him. Not sure why he ultimately couldn't stick but I wouldn't call his time in the league a failure. Shell? Who knows? Feel like he had too many distractions going on so it might not have mattered. Wade? Don't know what held him back.

There are discussions that have been going on about the Steelers leaving the South Side and building a new practice facility somewhere. The current facility is very small by NFL standards and there are people inside the Steelers' organization who believe that the facility is detrimental to their free agent recruiting efforts. I do not know how serious the discussions are, but they have taken place and such a move is on the table. What would happen to the facility overall if the Steelers were to leave should be a concern to this program.
Not sure if that isn't more than some radio guys speculating on things. Not unrealistic, either. Doesn't make sense to leave that facility unless they move out of town like the Pens. In that case, Pitt is staying put and the dynamic changes. Not much anyone in Oakland can do about that.

Not sure if that isn't more than some radio guys speculating on things. Not unrealistic, either. Doesn't make sense to leave that facility unless they move out of town like the Pens. In that case, Pitt is staying put and the dynamic changes. Not much anyone in Oakland can do about that.
Yeah, if the Steelers were to build a new practice facility elsewhere (and I think this is MUCH more likely than them building a new stadium), then I think Pitt turns that lemon into lemonade by renovating the whole facility into a much larger, Pitt-only facility.

Yeah, if the Steelers were to build a new practice facility elsewhere (and I think this is MUCH more likely than them building a new stadium), then I think Pitt turns that lemon into lemonade by renovating the whole facility into a much larger, Pitt-only facility.
The Steelers will have a practice by the Penguins sooner rather than later. Obviously that helps us because we can take the whole space.

Reactions: pittchagg
I'm told the practice facility provides a great recruiting benefit. Why would Pitt want the Steelers to leave? Then they won't be getting all those 4 and 5 star recurits any mroe.

From what I've heard, they'd probably do something similar to what the Pens did and move out further. I've also heard, recently, that this will definitely happen at some point. They aren't going to stay on the South Side.

Reactions: bwh05
I'm told the practice facility provides a great recruiting benefit. Why would Pitt want the Steelers to leave? Then they won't be getting all those 4 and 5 star recurits any mroe.
I don’t think Pitt wants the Steelers to leave. I’m just saying that if the Steelers do decide to leave, Pitt would just take over the facility and make it an objectively better facility for Pitt. It just wouldn’t have the special benefit of the Steeler connection, which would be a loss, no doubt.

The university will likely inherit the facility, but will be more on the hook for the costs of managing it. UPMC is not going to be pulling out of the office space, if/when the Steelers make the change.

USF Board of Trustees approve plan for $340 million dollar 35,000 seat stadium.

"The risk is greater to do nothing....We run the risk of falling behind."

Bingo.

Not arguing with you cb, But let me ask a few rhetorical questions for some conversation...

* When they say "The risk is greater to do nothing....We run the risk of falling behind." What does that mean?

* They're already behind... Will building an on campus stadium help them? In what way? They're already in a non-power 5 conference. Will the stadium help them get a Power 5 invite?

* Minnesota and Rutgers have added on campus stadiums in recent years. Has that helped they're recruiting?

* Wouldn't the money be better spent on better coaches and setting up some NIL deals with local businesses?

* Game day atmosphere? It has the same problem every school that is in a 20 mile radius of a pro team. If they win, fans will show. If they don't, the fans will stay at home.

To me, it's a knee jerk reaction....

Not arguing with you cb, But let me ask a few rhetorical questions for some conversation...

* When they say "The risk is greater to do nothing....We run the risk of falling behind." What does that mean?

* They're already behind... Will building an on campus stadium help them? In what way? They're already in a non-power 5 conference. Will the stadium help them get a Power 5 invite?

* Minnesota and Rutgers have added on campus stadiums in recent years. Has that helped they're recruiting?

* Wouldn't the money be better spent on better coaches and setting up some NIL deals with local businesses?

* Game day atmosphere? It has the same problem every school that is in a 20 mile radius of a pro team. If they win, fans will show. If they don't, the fans will stay at home.

Gameday atmosphere is better when the seats are mostly full and you are actually sitting next to people. With this new stadium, USF has a chance to become UCF and get into a better league.

If I am Pitt, I am asking the SEC what we need to do.

USF Board of Trustees approve plan for $340 million dollar 35,000 seat stadium.

"The risk is greater to do nothing....We run the risk of falling behind."

Bingo.

I didn't read the article (I know), but I can definitely see the Bucs wanting to go the LA, Nashville, Jacksonville route with a clear roof, probably dome

When the ACC gets raided, USF gets an ACC invite if not to the Big 12 before then.

watch Tomlins comments on why they drafted Pickett. You would think it was a recruiting video produced by the Pitt staff

I'm just not seeing the uptick in recruiting. Same class of slightly higher that 3 stars every year. If the Steelers relationship is very valuable, I'd expect better recruiting results at some point.

Reactions: cbpitt2
I'm just not seeing the uptick in recruiting. Same class of slightly higher that 3 stars every year. If the Steelers relationship is very valuable, I'd expect better recruiting results at some point.
No. Won't do anything for the pretty numbers in November that schools thump their chest about. It's the phone calls in April that are the draw.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT