ADVERTISEMENT

USWNT World Cup TV Schedule

I honestly think Vietnam vs Century or Beadling would be a pretty even game. FK, is that crazy?

And put that -40,000 in college basketball terms? What would the #1 team vs the #363 team be? I know this wouldnt be on the betting lines but what about the #1 D1 team vs the worst D3 team?
Well I can’t pretend to know a thing about Vietnam so I won’t say for sure. But I’d tend to say yes.

As far as the Philippines, my daughter had a college teammate who was an ok D1 player who was on their national team a couple of years ago. I’d have to find out if she’s on the WC squad. She’d never have sniffed our USWNT or even a NWSL roster.

Take a player like Veronica Latsgo from Century. She’s been a NWSL player for years and has never got a cap for the USWNT and I’d think she’d be the best player by far for most of these countries.

Fox didn’t make the incident in Georgia about race. Perhaps that didn’t register with you. But the rest of the media would have jumped on it if it was the other way around. Bet dat.

Secondly, I saw an article yesterday about NPR and they spent 0 minutes on the Biden hearings this week and the latest jaw dropping revelations coming out of them. while dedicating incredible amounts of time on a certain former President. That is an absolute disgrace ignoring m But then you consider NPR’s donors, and well, they don’t want to hear about Biden’s bribes and selling out his country. So I understand your point about agenda.

Is it possible that there was no way to work race into the Georgia killings? This was an Army vet living in a nice suburban (probably predominantly white) neighborhood. Had he been racist against white people, he probably would have chose somewhere else to live. I assure you that if this guy posted all types of BLM or Antifa stuff on FB, that would have been reported. That is what the left wing media does. In the article about the white guy shooting up a bunch of people, they say that on the shooter's FB page, there are pro-milita group messages or pro-MAGA or anti-immigrant messages or whatever. It really doesnt go further than that. I think you are reaching here. If Fox News or ESPECIALLY Newsmax and the others could have made it about race, they would have and you know that.

Is it possible that there was no way to work race into the Georgia killings? This was an Army vet living in a nice suburban (probably predominantly white) neighborhood. Had he been racist against white people, he probably would have chose somewhere else to live. I assure you that if this guy posted all types of BLM or Antifa stuff on FB, that would have been reported. That is what the left wing media does. In the article about the white guy shooting up a bunch of people, they say that on the shooter's FB page, there are pro-milita group messages or pro-MAGA or anti-immigrant messages or whatever. It really doesnt go further than that. I think you are reaching here. If Fox News or ESPECIALLY Newsmax and the others could have made it about race, they would have and you know that.
If the perp and the victims are different colors, then it’s pretty easy to do, considering how many times per day the networks, NYT and WaPo bring race into matters that don’t otherwise warrant it. Happens all the time and it’s easy to do…and massively irresponsible.

If the perp and the victims are different colors, then it’s pretty easy to do, considering how many times per day the networks, NYT and WaPo bring race into matters that don’t otherwise warrant it. Happens all the time and it’s easy to do…and massively irresponsible.

You are giving right-wing media way too much credit. If the guy had no racist social media presence, how could they make it about race other than a headline that reads "Black man kills 4 white neighbors." As I have said, everytime left-wing media makes it about race, they cite something from Facebook (usually its Facebook). I am not trying to defend the left here as I know they are TRYING to make things about race but in every case, the shooter has crazy right-wing or racist $hit on Facebook.

FK, back to what you were saying about you know people rooting for Vietnam, I came across a FB post promoting the game tonight and the American commenters were trashing the team. Had to be 90% negative towards the US. I mean FB users/commenters are heavily right-wing so I guess that's not unexpected but the team does have a lot of US fans so I figured there would be way more positive comments from USWNT fans. Some of the comments were actually really funny. I busted out laughing when I read "leave Rapinoe in Vietnam." My total guess is that 60%-70% of Republicans are rooting against the US. And if Im being honest with myself, I probably am too but for other reasons.

• Wow
Reactions: jctrack
FK, back to what you were saying about you know people rooting for Vietnam, I came across a FB post promoting the game tonight and the American commenters were trashing the team. Had to be 90% negative towards the US. I mean FB users/commenters are heavily right-wing so I guess that's not unexpected but the team does have a lot of US fans so I figured there would be way more positive comments from USWNT fans. Some of the comments were actually really funny. I busted out laughing when I read "leave Rapinoe in Vietnam." My total guess is that 60%-70% of Republicans are rooting against the US. And if Im being honest with myself, I probably am too but for other reasons.
If you ignore Rapinoe (which is hard to do), the majority of the US team is very likeable. Players like Sophia Smith, Trinity Rodman, Lindsay Horan, Alyssa Thompson, Mal Pugh (injured) should help to galvanize Americans who want to watch soccer and not activism.

If you ignore Rapinoe (which is hard to do), the majority of the US team is very likeable. Players like Sophia Smith, Trinity Rodman, Lindsay Horan, Alyssa Thompson, Mal Pugh (injured) should help to galvanize Americans who want to watch soccer and not activism.

I dont even know of another player who is "woke" besides Rapinoe. If she is the only one, its pretty sad to root against your national team because of one player. I root against them because of ALL the players and that isnt sad at all 😉

I think part of the anti-USWNT sentiment from the right is also the fact that many are lesbians and they do Pride stuff and nothing draws the ire of righties than Pride. Basically, a team of liberal lesbians is a nightmare combination for righties. Its party over country for them. To be fair, that holds true for lefties as well.

I dont even know of another player who is "woke" besides Rapinoe. If she is the only one, its pretty sad to root against your national team because of one player. I root against them because of ALL the players and that isnt sad at all 😉

I think part of the anti-USWNT sentiment from the right is also the fact that many are lesbians and they do Pride stuff and nothing draws the ire of righties than Pride. Basically, a team of liberal lesbians is a nightmare combination for righties. Its party over country for them. To be fair, that holds true for lefties as well.
It’s the activism thing. No one cares about peoples sex lives. Rapinoe has been over the top with her politics and way too polarizing. Ever hear of Tammy Bruce? Very well known conservative thinker and tv/radio personality. She’s openly gay and very popular on the right. Why? Because they agree with her politics first and foremost and don’t care what she does in the bedroom.

Reactions: jctrack and Chaos
Leggo Netherlands!

holland.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Allan McMurray
Ted lasso jumped the shark when Ted figured out how to play Dutch total football while sitting in a bar watching Phil Jackson’s triangle offense…and then taught it to his team in one training session, leading to a streak of 15 wins in a row and finishing 2nd in the league.

You are giving right-wing media way too much credit. If the guy had no racist social media presence, how could they make it about race other than a headline that reads "Black man kills 4 white neighbors." As I have said, everytime left-wing media makes it about race, they cite something from Facebook (usually its Facebook). I am not trying to defend the left here as I know they are TRYING to make things about race but in every case, the shooter has crazy right-wing or racist $hit on Facebook.
Except when it is you know, transgender they drop it like its hot.

As my late great friend Norm MacDonald use to say. What are you proud of? I mean should we have a pride parade for dudes who prefer to do two chicks at the same time? Or a chick who prefers to be spit roasted. If it truly is about "why do you care who sleeps with who and what they do in the bedroom", why can't they just leave it in the bedroom?

If Portugal can pull the upset we can get this US disaster out of the tournament. Really didn't like this bullying and pushing around from those dudes I saw last night but at least Netherlands got the draw

If Portugal can pull the upset we can get this US disaster out of the tournament. Really didn't like this bullying and pushing around from those dudes I saw last night but at least Netherlands got the draw

Vamos Portugal!!!

🇵🇹 🇵🇹 🇵🇹 🇵🇹 🇵🇹 🇵🇹 🇵🇹 🇵🇹 🇵🇹 🇵🇹 🇵🇹 🇵🇹

Interesting prize money figures

2022 World Cup
$440 million

2023 WWC
$110 million

2023 Leagues Cup
$40 million

2019 WWC
$30 million

FIFA greatly increased prize money for the WWC because of complaints but even then, its prize money is closer to the Leagues Cup, a tournament that 99% of Americans dont know is taking place than the men's World Cup. And USWNT want equal pay for a sport that is not popular globally

3 lackluster performances. Not sure how they regroup and reset for the knockout rounds. Might just be one knockout round at this rate before they come home early.

3 lackluster performances. Not sure how they regroup and reset for the knockout rounds. Might just be one knockout round at this rate before they come home early.

When they didnt blow out the Vietnamese rec players, I knew something was wrong. Vietnam probably wouldn't win a game in the ACC and may not be able to beat the local Pgh club U19 teams. I dont follow the women's team a lot but I am guessing that besides Rapinoe, there are better younger players out there. And forget her politics, is she not producing in the NWSL like the younger players are? Can the same be said for the other players? Germany and Spain men bowed out early of World Cups playing older squads of their golden generations and that may be what's going on with the USWNT. I just dont know if a legit argument can be made for other players.

When they didnt blow out the Vietnamese rec players, I knew something was wrong. Vietnam probably wouldn't win a game in the ACC and may not be able to beat the local Pgh club U19 teams. I dont follow the women's team a lot but I am guessing that besides Rapinoe, there are better younger players out there. And forget her politics, is she not producing in the NWSL like the younger players are? Can the same be said for the other players? Germany and Spain men bowed out early of World Cups playing older squads of their golden generations and that may be what's going on with the USWNT. I just dont know if a legit argument can be made for other players.
I watched the match on delay when I woke and I watched much of it on fast forward so my perspective might not be correct.

There’s just no creativity. I don’t know what it is. They can’t break teams down and then when they are on the break it’s straight balls to straight runners, no creative runs into the channels, etc. I don’t want to put that on Vkatko. It’s too easy to blame the coach. But part of it is that midfield not winning balls high and then quickly attacking the other direction. The midfield is just ineffective and now your best attacking midfielder is out for the next match (Lavelle). But what I can blame vlatko for his his game management. Bringing a Rapinoe in in the 60th minute, when you know that the games going to open up because Portugal has to score makes absolutely no sense. And you took off your biggest threat (smith) to do so. Rapinoe has no legs in that 38 year old body, and it showed. Then he waited too long to get impact players in like Rodman running at tired legs. You don’t wait until the 80th minute to do that. That said, perhaps he’s playing for a tie at that point and was thinking more about not giving up a goal. But that goal he didn’t want to give up was ripped off the woodwork in the 92nd minute and would have sent the US home if it was two inches to the left. There was so much wrong.

Then you have Morgan, Rapinoe, and Dunn (3 leaders) dancing on the field after the match. What?????? After that performance that’s the last thing I’d be doing.

I turned the TV off and went back to bed the second the final whistle blew so I didn’t see this.

After that awful performance when Portugal was 3 inches from knocking you out this is bad optics

Wow. Yep. I didn’t know if I was overreacting to that or not.

She was a zero today. Even people like Ertz and Dunn looked bad. There is no flow. No crisp passing or plays. This is the last WC for Rapinoe and probably Morgan, but they need other younger players to step up. Sydney Smith was awful today.

She was a zero today. Even people like Ertz and Dunn looked bad. There is no flow. No crisp passing or plays. This is the last WC for Rapinoe and probably Morgan, but they need other younger players to step up. Sydney Smith was awful today.
I feel as though those two, Ertz and Dunn, should be moved to the midfield and play in front of the backline in a double pivot. Ertz can win aerials and Dunn can penetrate and break lines. Our back 4 isn’t the issue, so plug in 2 other players there. Cook can play for Ertz at center back, and O’Hara can play as the left back. Her on the field persona will help this group.

She was essentially a zero 4 years ago as well, except she took penalties and set pieces. But now her set piece service hasn’t even been good in her cameo appearances. And then in the run of play she’s just lost it almost completely. She’s whiffing at volleys, and turning the ball over when she has it. On the one play, she was dribbling in transition down the left side, and I had flashbacks of that pass to Wambach vs Brazil. This time, that long diagonal ball from her fell about 20 yards short and Portugal took it and went the other way.

But you watch, this team will turn things around, and she will make one play or score on a penalty and get all the glory after all the poor play to this point. Even Fox is hyping her every chance they get and they’ll be all too happy to do it some more.

Reactions: Chaos
I watched the match on delay when I woke and I watched much of it on fast forward so my perspective might not be correct.

There’s just no creativity. I don’t know what it is. They can’t break teams down and then when they are on the break it’s straight balls to straight runners, no creative runs into the channels, etc. I don’t want to put that on Vkatko. It’s too easy to blame the coach. But part of it is that midfield not winning balls high and then quickly attacking the other direction. The midfield is just ineffective and now your best attacking midfielder is out for the next match (Lavelle). But what I can blame vlatko for his his game management. Bringing a Rapinoe in in the 60th minute, when you know that the games going to open up because Portugal has to score makes absolutely no sense. And you took off your biggest threat (smith) to do so. Rapinoe has no legs in that 38 year old body, and it showed. Then he waited too long to get impact players in like Rodman running at tired legs. You don’t wait until the 80th minute to do that. That said, perhaps he’s playing for a tie at that point and was thinking more about not giving up a goal. But that goal he didn’t want to give up was ripped off the woodwork in the 92nd minute and would have sent the US home if it was two inches to the left. There was so much wrong.

Then you have Morgan, Rapinoe, and Dunn (3 leaders) dancing on the field after the match. What?????? After that performance that’s the last thing I’d be doing.

Did they leave better players home for this old crew?

Did they leave better players home for this old crew?
They aren’t that old. I see it as a mix of the old along with a young core. I don’t follow NWSL closely, but I can see why Ertz was brought in. Same with other older players like Horan, O’Hara and Dunn. There is no doubt though that Rapinoe took a spot from someone, and I also don’t know why Morgan is the only true #9 on the roster. We have the deepest player pool in the world and we only have one #9 who is 36? That I don’t understand.

But missing your starting center back (Sauerbraum), the alleged best player in the world (Macario) and the worlds most dominant player over the past 12 months (Swanson) doesn’t help. There’s certainly a trickle down.

But again, we are the deepest nation in the world. There is no room for excuses.

I think what it also comes down to, is the world is finally catching up the US.
The gap has closed for sure. But everything I hear about the worlds game still points to the US still being far superior, far deeper, and having a far better pro league that challenges the players in the training sessions and on game day.

I know that the Womens super League matches between an Arsenal and a Liverpool sounds sexy, but it’s not compared to Racing City vs Angel City in the NWSL.

Granted when you get a UCL match between Barcelona and Lyon, that match is going to be high quality…but your typical domestic match isn’t compared to NWSL. At least that’s what the pundits and players say.

Reactions: Allan McMurray
I think what it also comes down to, is the world is finally catching up the US.

Sure, they are closing the gap and it will close further every 4 years but the US will ALWAYS be the "Brazil" of the women's games. As in, the best players, probably the favorites but wont always win it. This is because our best suburban females play soccer and USA Suburbia is larger than most other countries.

I was surprised Morgan is still with this group. Reminds me of Jozy as he got older though he was like 31 but had the body of a 65 year old. Point is if you are trotting out a decrepid Jozy Altidore or a nearing 40 Alex Morgan, you have issues. Is Morgan really the best American forward? There's no 26 year old better than her with everything this country produces?

I was surprised Morgan is still with this group. Reminds me of Jozy as he got older though he was like 31 but had the body of a 65 year old. Point is if you are trotting out a decrepid Jozy Altidore or a nearing 40 Alex Morgan, you have issues. Is Morgan really the best American forward? There's no 26 year old better than her with everything this country produces?
In my soccer playing family, particularly with my girls, that’s what agitates them more than anything. We’ve never been high on Morgan, my daughters especially. Sometimes the stats prove us wrong as she’s scored some big goals. But if you’re a #9 with the worlds best players around you, you’re gonna score some goals. It would be like an undrafted FA running behind the Dallas Cowboy offensive line of the 90’s. You’re gonna score touchdowns.

That all being said, with our talent pool, annd she keeps getting caps, and the fact that every ranking system rates her, we have to be the ones who are wrong. Right??? SMH. And I’m not trying to be unobjective. Case in point, Rapinoe was a really good player for this program for many years. I can acknowledge that. However now is a different story.

Sure, they are closing the gap and it will close further every 4 years but the US will ALWAYS be the "Brazil" of the women's games. As in, the best players, probably the favorites but wont always win it. This is because our best suburban females play soccer and USA Suburbia is larger than most other countries.
I think you’re right. Can’t win every year. And Brazil certainly doesn’t. Our pool is too great in size and so is the budget.

Let’s not forget that if Mal Pugh and Catarina Macario weren’t injured we’d be seeing a lot less of Alex Morgan.

I feel as though those two, Ertz and Dunn, should be moved to the midfield and play in front of the backline in a double pivot. Ertz can win aerials and Dunn can penetrate and break lines. Our back 4 isn’t the issue, so plug in 2 other players there. Cook can play for Ertz at center back, and O’Hara can play as the left back. Her on the field persona will help this group.

I haven't seen today's game, so consider that when you read these comments.

Julie Ertz hadn't played a game, and I don't mean a game for the US, I mean any game anywhere on the planet, as a central defender since, iirc, 2019. And she's just coming back from missing a ton of time with injury. So of course she has lined up at center back for all three games so far.

And it was obvious four years ago that Crystal Dunn wasn't a fullback. Now she's four years older and she's still not a fullback. When she first started playing with the team she was playing up top, sometimes as a left wing and sometimes as a second forward, and she was really good in that role. So of course they moved her to left back. She is perfectly fine when you are playing the Vietnams of the world, teams where she only has to worry about getting forward and has basically no responsibilities at all on the defensive end. But when you play a good team and she is required to defend she is, still, completely lost back there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT