ADVERTISEMENT

USWNT World Cup TV Schedule

What a dumb decision to take of Morgan for Rapinoe. Vlatko should be relieved based on this substitution alone. Completely ineffective then chuckled after she skyrocketed that penalty.

US played so well though, not clinical enough. Sweden GK was superb though!

And now Fox in their little wrap up before the break shows Kelly O’Hara pinging one off the post, not their glory child child piking one or Sophia Smith’s terrible take.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
What a dumb decision to take of Morgan for Rapinoe. Vlatko should be relieved based on this substitution alone. Completely ineffective then chuckled after she skyrocketed that penalty.

That's it. That was a really bad move. For her "service", she was awful. And she couldn't catch up to any ball and missed the PK to boot. I mean in some ways it was beautiful karma. Now the USWNT can rid themselves of her and become more likeable again.

One other thing. It is still women. And we are still guys. And on that caveman note, wow Sweden completely outclassed the US in the looks department.
They would improve ratings if they had the teams wear the sand volleyball uniforms.

Im sure we will see articles that the team didn’t have the broad support of Americans like the men’s team received and that emotionally drained the team causing their demise.

I still know next to nothing but even I was scratching my head when Rapinoe came on for Morgan.

Reactions: Chaos
I still know next to nothing but even I was scratching my head when Rapinoe came on for Morgan.
Yeah Morgan was still dangerous up until the point when she went off. Rapinoe was always going to enter the match based on her set piece and PK taking, but I think we can officially retire her from both of those duties.

I do have to hand it to Vlatko overall. He did pull all the right strings in this match. The Swedish keeper just stood on her head. Of course the irony is that she didn’t even have to make a save on any of the 3 USA misses.

With Rapinoe and a few others moving on and Pugh and Macario returning along with the growth of young stars like Smith, Horan, Fox and Rodman the US will still be a favorite in 2027– not to mention next summer’s Paris Olympics.

Chelsea’s Goalkeeper. Lol.

Yeah Morgan was still dangerous up until the point when she went off. Rapinoe was always going to enter the match based on her set piece and PK taking, but I think we can officially retire her from both of those duties.

I do have to hand it to Vlatko overall. He did pull all the right strings in this match. The Swedish keeper just stood on her head. Of course the irony is that she didn’t even have to make a save on any of the 3 USA misses.

With Rapinoe and a few others moving on and Pugh and Macario returning along with the growth of young stars like Smith, Horan, Fox and Rodman the US will still be a favorite in 2027– not to mention next summer’s Paris Olympics.
Ok so here’s my question. As I’ve said before I’m relatively new to so I am largely clueless.

Wouldn’t you want Morgan on the field if it goes to PKs? She’s first choice if there’s a PK from a foul isn’t she?

I didn’t watch. Did rapinoe come on late in extra time or late in regulation? I understand completely why you’d want her taking a penalty. That’s what she’s there for.

Ok so here’s my question. As I’ve said before I’m relatively new to so I am largely clueless.

Wouldn’t you want Morgan on the field if it goes to PKs? She’s first choice if there’s a PK from a foul isn’t she?
Yes. But penalties are hypothetically so easy to take, I don’t think it outweighs whatever he was looking for tactically.

Subbing in Rapinoe was a terrible decision. She was terrible in all facets. The team was getting plenty of scoring chances, so why change the flow and chemistry at that point? And then she airmails her PK. The coach should be canned as soon as the plane lands back in the US.

Reactions: Panther Parrothead
My heart sunk when Rapinoe entered the game. She had looked tired and overmatched in her previous two WC appearances, and she looked no better today. Even her corner kicks were weak and off-the-mark. She contributed nothing in her field play.

Then to pour salt into the team’s wounds, they let her take the PK in a genuine game-winning situation, and she flubbed that, too.

It would’ve been nice for her to have finished her great career as a World Cup champion, but today’s performance will leave us with the memory of a once-great player who hung around one season too long.

Addendum: I don’t know who is at greater fault: the player, or the coach who made the decision to use the player.

Last edited:
Subbing in Rapinoe was a terrible decision. She was terrible in all facets. The team was getting plenty of scoring chances, so why change the flow and chemistry at that point? And then she airmails her PK. The coach should be canned as soon as the plane lands back in the US.
Don’t worry. He will be replaced. Barely earning a bronze at the Olympics and then this body of work will seal his fate. Ironically, he coached a great 90 minutes that was good enough to win if not for the sensational performance by Sweden’s keeper. Sweden has been an incredible thorn in our side recently and his lineup and tactics were solid. But after that 90 minutes of regulation it’s a crap shoot. In the end, results are results and he hasn’t gotten it done.

My heart sunk when Rapinoe entered the game. She had looked tired and overmatched in her previous two WC appearances, and she looked no better today. Even her corner kicks were weak and off-the-mark. She contributed nothing in her field play.

Then to pour salt into the team’s wounds, they let her take the PK in a genuine game-winning situation, and she flubbed that, too.

It would’ve been nice for her to have finished her great career as a World Cup champion, but today’s performance will leave us with the memory of a once-great player who hung around one season too long.
I thought four years ago she shouldn’t have been on the team, but she was still serviceable enough to score a sitter and a few penalties. But Vlatko miscalculated with his team selection in this cycle and he will likely pay for it.

The point still for me though is that the team still couldn’t score goals in regulation and that’s not Rapinoes fault. However she will get lots of blame for this loss and shouldn’t.

P.S. I do think Waldrum will get a look. Another name that I heard from a U.S. Soccer person I know is the Jamaica coach. I don’t know much about him but apparently he was Horan and Sophia Smith’s club coach and has a good reputation.

I thought four years ago she shouldn’t have been on the team, but she was still serviceable enough to score a sitter and a few penalties. But Vlatko miscalculated with his team selection in this cycle and he will likely pay for it.

The point still for me though is that the team still couldn’t score goals in regulation and that’s not Rapinoes fault. However she will get lots of blame for this loss and shouldn’t.
The coach is getting the blame from me for having her on the team, and also for playing her when she's clearly not good enough anymore.

The coach is getting the blame from me for having her on the team, and also for playing her when she's clearly not good enough anymore.
She’s not good enough. I agree. And she was brought for her leadership off the field as well. That didn’t work out so well either.

Carli Lloyd wouldn’t have piked that PK. Her service was terrible. 2 poor corners, 1 poor set piece service that nose dived at the 18, horrible first touch that went out of bounds on a superb long ball. Then, the laugh after missing the PK. The Swedish players that didn’t convert weren’t laughing.

Good riddance, she deserved zero minutes in any game.

Sophia Smith PK was just as bad. O’Hara at least hit the post. 2 inches left and that probably deflects in

Carli Lloyd wouldn’t have picked that PK. Her service was terrible. 2 poor corners, 1 poor set piece service that nose dived at the 18, horrible first touch that went out of bounds on a superb long ball. Then, the laugh after missing the PK. The Swedish players that didn’t convert weren’t laughing.

Sophia Smith PK was just as bad. O’Hara at least hit the post. 2 inches left and that probably deflects in
B-I-N-G-O

If that’s just about any other GK for Sweden the US comfortably wins. She had a Tim Howard-Belgium performance, easy WOTM

P.S. I do think Waldrum will get a look. Another name that I heard from a U.S. Soccer person I know is the Jamaica coach. I don’t know much about him but apparently he was Horan and Sophia Smith’s club coach and has a good reputation.
At Lyon? If so then yeah he’s coached high end talent at a high level.

I think they’ll go with a female. Just a hunch.

At Lyon? If so then yeah he’s coached high end talent at a high level.

I think they’ll go with a female. Just a hunch.
Not at Lyon. I meant her youth club in Colorado. I agree that’s a huge stretch but I hear that he is at least on the radar.

Carli Lloyd wouldn’t have piked that PK. Her service was terrible. 2 poor corners, 1 poor set piece service that nose dived at the 18, horrible first touch that went out of bounds on a superb long ball. Then, the laugh after missing the PK. The Swedish players that didn’t convert weren’t laughing.

I’ve been waiting for Sophia Smith to arrive on the main stage for several years. She was always the future of this team. And her performance now makes me question if she’s got the marbles for it.

Hope they can use the Olympics to grow as a group, and then be ready in 4 years to win again.

And I hope they now leave their politics at the door. I checked into a thread on the free board and there are posters complaining that their posts were deleted by the mods. So obviously the discussion went political, and that shouldn’t be the case with a team that represents our country.

Reactions: Allan McMurray
I’ve been waiting for Sophia Smith to arrive on the main stage for several years. She was always the future of this team. And her performance now makes me question if she’s got the marbles for it.

Hope they can use the Olympics to grow as a group, and then be ready in 4 years to win again.

And I hope they now leave their politics at the door. I checked into a thread on the free board and there are posters complaining that their posts were deleted by the mods. So obviously the discussion went political, and that shouldn’t be the case with a team that represents our country.
I posted in that thread that I think the general sports fan is going to fall back in love with the next generation of US Soccer players. Horan will become the face of the program instead of Rapinoe and she will help connect the team with your average American male fan.

• Love
Reactions: Chaos and Fk_Pitt
I posted in that thread that I think the general sports fan is going to fall back in love with the next generation of US Soccer players. Horan will become the face of the program instead of Rapinoe and she will help connect the team with your average American male fan.
Lindsay Horan is top notch. Good choice for the face, very well rounded player

Chelsea’s Goalkeeper. Lol.
That goalie had an absolute world class game. Her save on that Huran shot early was amazing. She kept Sweden in this game and got them to PKs. She didn’t have to do anything in PK thanks to Rapinoe, Smith, and OHara.
Sweden didn’t break and hung on for dear life.
US made poor subbing decisions and should never allowed Rapinoe a roster spot. She was unfit, had horrible touch, and looked terrible. And she helped send them packing. I’d rather have seen a young girl miss the PK and learn from it. But USWNT did not do enough despite playing well today. But to tie Portugal told me they would not make it to the final.

• Love
I didn’t watch. Did rapinoe come on late in extra time or late in regulation? I understand completely why you’d want her taking a penalty. That’s what she’s there for.

She came on in the 99th.

After that she took five "dead ball" kicks. She took a corner that was simply awful, well underhit. But the ball went out short of the near post off a defender so she got another chance. And hit that one even worse, again, well underhit. Bad enough that Julie Ertz, who was theoretically the target of both balls yelled at her to hit the ball better/further. So a short time later she took a third corner, and if I told you that it was even worse than the first two, again way underhit, would you be surprised? No? OK, well how about if I tell you that she later played a free kick from the right wing in a spot where you could create a decent chance and she way underhit the ball again, even worse than the first three?

So let's at least give her credit on her penalty. She wasn't going to way underhit that one too. She made the adjustment, and blasted the ball high and wide.

She came on in the 99th.

After that she took five "dead ball" kicks. She took a corner that was simply awful, well underhit. But the ball went out short of the near post off a defender so she got another chance. And hit that one even worse, again, well underhit. Bad enough that Julie Ertz, who was theoretically the target of both balls yelled at her to hit the ball better/further. So a short time later she took a third corner, and if I told you that it was even worse than the first two, again way underhit, would you be surprised? No? OK, well how about if I tell you that she later played a free kick from the right wing in a spot where you could create a decent chance and she way underhit the ball again, even worse than the first three?

So let's at least give her credit on her penalty. She wasn't going to way underhit that one too. She made the adjustment, and blasted the ball high and wide.
Yeah Joe, she was an awful sub. She didn’t zero, zilch, nada. Vlatko should have never put her in. Alex Morgan buries her penalty and they are playing Japan in a few days, im confident in this.

This was as close to a classic smash and grab by Sweden as you can get.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT