ADVERTISEMENT

Way OT: NHL’s Coyotes should relocate to Austin

Atlanta couldn’t keep the Flames, it’s true, but they do have a lot of people who’ve since relocated there from northern areas and who do appreciate the game. They have minor league hockey there and I understand it does pretty well. They might be good for another go by the NHL.
No way. Northerners who relocate to Atlanta already have a team that they follow. There is zero chance a dude from Buffalo is moving down there and becoming an Atlanta Thrashers version 2.0 fan.

I've been told by an NFL exec. that Austin is the next American city to get an expansion franchise. However, there
is strong sentiment in the League that they must go to London, England first!
In the NHL; it seems clear that the League will not return to Quebec City as long as Bettman remains in charge!

No way. Northerners who relocate to Atlanta already have a team that they follow. There is zero chance a dude from Buffalo is moving down there and becoming an Atlanta Thrashers version 2.0 fan.
I don't know about this. I have made the trip to DC to see the Pens play the Capitals, and every time I am there I chat with whoever I sit next to. It's normally a DC resident wearing a Caps jersey but they say "I'm from Buffalo" or "I went to high school in Boston" or "I was raised in Philly" etc., and that "the Sabres/Bruins/Flyers are my team, but I live here and have Caps season tickets even though the Caps are my second favorite."

Maybe streaming services are going to make it easier to always be connected and watch your #1 team, but I have definitely noticed that hockey fans will follow the local team if that local team plays good hockey.

Reactions: USN_Panther
I don't know about this. I have made the trip to DC to see the Pens play the Capitals, and every time I am there I chat with whoever I sit next to. It's normally a DC resident wearing a Caps jersey but they say "I'm from Buffalo" or "I went to high school in Boston" or "I was raised in Philly" etc., and that "the Sabres/Bruins/Flyers are my team, but I live here and have Caps season tickets even though the Caps are my second favorite."

Maybe streaming services are going to make it easier to always be connected and watch your #1 team, but I have definitely noticed that hockey fans will follow the local team if that local team plays good hockey.
I moved to Raleigh about 17 years ago and have played hockey my whole life. I could give a crap about the Canes. I go to Canes games when the Pens are in town and that’s about it.

I've been told by an NFL exec. that Austin is the next American city to get an expansion franchise. However, there
is strong sentiment in the League that they must go to London, England first!
In the NHL; it seems clear that the League will not return to Quebec City as long as Bettman remains in charge!
Bettman is just doing what the NHL owners want him to, a team in Quebec City won't increase the franchise value of the other teams, that's why Quebec City isn't getting one.

London will get a NFL team as soon as the Jaguars can get out of Jacksonville.

Bettman is just doing what the NHL owners want him to, a team in Quebec City won't increase the franchise value of the other teams, that's why Quebec City isn't getting one.

London will get a NFL team as soon as the Jaguars can get out of Jacksonville.
London? Sheesh. Serious question, sort of… if that were to happen would the NFL divide the season in half for the London franchise, and have the team play all its away games consecutively in the US, then the other half all at home? Otherwise, short of redirecting the Concorde, I see the back and forth travel for the team over the course of a normally scheduled season being a major issue…

London? Sheesh. Serious question, sort of… if that were to happen would the NFL divide the season in half for the London franchise, and have the team play all its away games consecutively in the US, then the other half all at home? Otherwise, short of redirecting the Concorde, I see the back and forth travel for the team over the course of a normally scheduled season being a major issue…
I believe the plan would be to have a practice facilities in both the UK and USA, training camp and 3 road pre-season games in the US, then over to the UK for 4 or 5 weeks of home games, then they’d come back over for a few weeks, and so on. One of the ESPN NFL Insiders reported it when the first talks of a London team started.

The NFL would be crazy to not expand to London. They can probably do it in 3 road trips per year.

The NFL would be crazy to not expand to London. They can probably do it in 3 road trips per year.
The NFL expanding to London makes some sense, because they only play a game per week. The other sports where you have multiple games per week, I don't see the logistics.

However, what is the tax situation? I mean the NHL Canadian teams even have some issue with luring free agents because of taxes. With London, how would they attract free agents, moving families, culture, etc.... If you are going to pay me $10 million a year to live in London for a few years, I would jump at it. But if you have kids....(well actually the kids would probably get a better education there).

Reactions: HailToPitt725
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT