ADVERTISEMENT

What should be Pitt's strategy in conference realignment?

HailtoPitt

Board of Trustee
Jun 18, 2001
They won't do anything proactive, but if we could pretend for a minute, what 'should' they do?

I think that the Big Ten potentially adding southern schools like FSU, Clemson and Miami could present an opportunity for Pitt. Would the SEC feel like they have to respond by adding schools outside of their current footprint? And if so, who would they target? Pitt could be a candidate considering they are in the BIG's footprint.

I guess the ideal scenario would be if FSU and Clemson leave, pay the exit fee to the ACC schools, Pitt gets it's share, and then leaves a broken conference for less than what FSU and Clemson had to fork over.

Is Pitt allowed to exit though without paying its own fee? Like FSU may be willing to pony up 650 million. Would Pitt? PSU will block Pitt from the B10. If the goal is to be in a P2, they would have to hope SEC expands north and views them as a cupcake. Having a 9-3 winner of a super league takes away some appeal of national champ dominance. They need feeder teams and Pitt does have better attendance than say Mizz or Miss State.

However, if we want Pitt to have the best chance of making the playoff, I say use the money they get and stay with the misfit toys. Win the conference and get the annual bid to the playoff as long as it exists.

Is it the end of the world if Pitt gets in as a 7th seed and winner of the 4th rated ACC?

Pitt needs to maintain its course. Keep developing talent and contending for ACC titles. It's not a football program that will be at the top of the list for the SEC or Big 10, so you try to win now while the conference is stable and hopefully the ACC leadership acts to stabilize the conference moving forward, even if some of the big-name programs make an early exit.

They won't do anything proactive, but if we could pretend for a minute, what 'should' they do?

I think that the Big Ten potentially adding southern schools like FSU, Clemson and Miami could present an opportunity for Pitt. Would the SEC feel like they have to respond by adding schools outside of their current footprint? And if so, who would they target? Pitt could be a candidate considering they are in the BIG's footprint.

I guess the ideal scenario would be if FSU and Clemson leave, pay the exit fee to the ACC schools, Pitt gets it's share, and then leaves a broken conference for less than what FSU and Clemson had to fork over.
I used to think it was crazy that Pitt would ever get into the SEC. But Don’t ya think maybe if UNC Miami FSU or Clemson went to the big ten (which i think is complete bullshit) the Sec would take 2 northern teams…. Pitt and ?

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I used to think it was crazy that Pitt would ever get into the SEC. But Don’t ya think maybe if UNC Miami FSU or Clemson went to the big ten (which i think is complete bullshit) the Sec would take 2 northern teams…. Pitt and ?

Pitt and Cuse. That way Pitt isn't the biggest outlier.

Reactions: TitoBeagle
Pitt, and by extension Pittsburgh, really need to play up the “Capital of Appalachia” angle if there is any chance of the SEC happening. I think there might be room for us in a 24 team SEC. There wouldn’t be room for us in a 132 team Big 10.

Reactions: HailtoPitt
Pitt, and by extension Pittsburgh, really need to play up the “Capital of Appalachia” angle if there is any chance of the SEC happening. I think there might be room for us in a 24 team SEC. There wouldn’t be room for us in a 132 team Big 10.
For sure. What conference wouldn't want the Capital of Appalachia on its roster, after all. That oozes sophistication, wealth, and education.

Pitt could win a national championship next year and it still wouldn’t change their chances of getting into the Big 10.

I could see the SEC inviting Virginia Tech and Pitt as they would move more into regions of the country that they currently aren’t in. I would think that UNC is a Big 10 target and wouldn’t be available to the SEC. Maybe the SEC would also take NC State.

Pitt could win a national championship next year and it still wouldn’t change their chances of getting into the Big 10.

I could see the SEC inviting Virginia Tech and Pitt as they would move more into regions of the country that they currently aren’t in. I would think that UNC is a Big 10 target and wouldn’t be available to the SEC. Maybe the SEC would also take NC State.

Who knows what's real anymore, but I actually saw something about the BIG thinking the two most valuable remaining targets are Notre Dame and North Carolina.

Reactions: pittmeister

They don’t need any northern teams.

Who knows what's real anymore, but I actually saw something about the BIG thinking the two most valuable remaining targets are Notre Dame and North Carolina.

If you're North Carolina, do you want all of your other sports traveling to Big Ten locations when you might also have the option to travel to SEC locations? Baseball, soccer, track, etc I'm guessing is better suited in the SEC.

If you're North Carolina, do you want all of your other sports traveling to Big Ten locations when you might also have the option to travel to SEC locations? Baseball, soccer, track, etc I'm guessing is better suited in the SEC.
USC says high. But seriously conference realignment is dumb long-term. Whatever short-term gains there are will be limited by the laws of diminishing returns later on by a destroyed product.

If FSU is going to pay a buyout of $300M+, and other schools (e.g., Clemson, North Carolina) do so as well, would it be best to just stay put in the ACC and reap the buyout distributions while backfilling the vacant memberships? I’m sure they’d have to determine the short/long-term financials.

Just feels like there is so little upside for Pitt in the Big12.
i agree, i'd rather be in big 10. but they dont want us and if it gets to 3 major conferences, it's big 12 or bust.. We'd be Uconn but with a worse basketball program..

hopefully it doesnt get to 3 super conferences though.

i agree, i'd rather be in big 10. but they dont want us and if it gets to 3 major conferences, it's big 12 or bust.. We'd be Uconn but with a worse basketball program..

hopefully it doesnt get to 3 super conferences though.

“3” Super Conferences would be the best case scenario.

The more likely one is 2 and then a third little brother.

And the most likely scenario after that one is breaking away from the NCAA.

For sure. What conference wouldn't want the Capital of Appalachia on its roster, after all. That oozes sophistication, wealth, and education.
Exactly. You think the SEC is going after cosmopolitan and sophisticated? Nowhere in college athletics does culture matter as much as it does in the SEC. They want rubes and hillbillies. Don’t be fooled by the bow ties in Oxford or whatever the hell it is exactly that goes on in Austin these days. The rest of that league is a backwater.

Exactly. You think the SEC is going after cosmopolitan and sophisticated? Nowhere in college athletics does culture matter as much as it does in the SEC. They want rubes and hillbillies. Don’t be fooled by the bow ties in Oxford or whatever the hell it is exactly that goes on in Austin these days. The rest of that league is a backwater.

Which is why we need the Locker Room Board back. Pitt has a fairly sizeable faction of "SECish" fans. Show them that board and we are in.

The only way we'd get invited to the SEC is if, for some reason, Notre Dame gave them an ultimatum that they'd join the league if Pitt could come. This would work for the Big 10 too. Hopefully Heather has a few four leaf clovers stashed somewhere, or we'll be playing in the Big 12 consortium of mediocrity soon.

Reactions: singregardless
Don't give a crap about the pervert's not wanting us in the big.
It's what the rest of the big feels need to get yes votes over the pervert's no vote.

The only value that is seen for conference expansion is in getting blue bloods (ND) or expanding the tv footprint. Pitt doesn’t check either box.

Pitt just needs to hope that the pac 12 being picked over is enough for the SEC/B10.

Then ride things out and if the ACC fails hope that you can get an invite to the B12(also known as new conference USA).

Sad times for Pitt but this is the world now.

Don't give a crap about the pervert's not wanting us in the big.
It's what the rest of the big feels need to get yes votes over the pervert's no vote.
Yeah, I get the feeling that pretty much everyone else in that league can't stand PSU. If they tried to block us, that might be our golden ticket.

Having said that, I'd rather be in the Big 12 with WVU, Cincy and PAC and ACC leftovers than the B10.

Unless Pitt football ceases to exist....I will always follow them like I have for the last 52 years. I don't care what conference they are in or their chances to compete for a natty. I will still attend games, agonize over losing to teams that they shouldn't, celebrate the good wins, and not stress over the current state of conference football makeup.

I know this is a head in the sand stand, but there are things in life I have learned that we have no control over. I have enjoyed what Duzz has taken us to the last few years and continues to strive for. It is what we have at present. There are no guarantees in life. I am hoping for a positive outlook and future for the program in the ACC or wherever....but whatever happens is out of our hands as fans of the program. We can only wait til all the dominoes fall, whenever that may be. HTP

Reactions: Guyasuta Genac
No

I don't

Reactions: bdur76
The only value that is seen for conference expansion is in getting blue bloods (ND) or expanding the tv footprint. Pitt doesn’t check either box.

Pitt just needs to hope that the pac 12 being picked over is enough for the SEC/B10.

Then ride things out and if the ACC fails hope that you can get an invite to the B12(also known as new conference USA).

Sad times for Pitt but this is the world now.
Self pity is the worst human trait of all.
Pitt will be fine so save the victim speech for someone else.

To answer your question: our strategy should be to gush up to Peter Bavacqua and the rest of the Notre Dame admin. When the time comes for them to join the Big Ten, convince them that they want as many of their historic rivals as possible with them. Stanford, USC, Purdue, Michigan… and Pitt. We could be protected opponents and they could have as traditional of a schedule possible in their new world of football conference affiliation. They also have a strong contingency in the Pittsburgh area and would give their fan base another nearby game in an increasingly spread-out conference.

Other than that, we have to bank on the SEC going against their current expansion strategy of brand over region and hope they have a desire to expand into the northeast. Hoping isn’t much of a strategy, though.

If FSU is going to pay a buyout of $300M+, and other schools (e.g., Clemson, North Carolina) do so as well, would it be best to just stay put in the ACC and reap the buyout distributions while backfilling the vacant memberships? I’m sure they’d have to determine the short/long-term financials.
But backfill the vacant memberships with who? Temple, UCONN, Memphis, Marshall, Villanova, Robert Morris.
None of us know what is going to happen, but the people worried about Pitt and the ACC’s future, aren’t being alarmist.
Everything might be fine, but the ACC might also end up being somewhere between the MAC and the old Big East.

Yeah, I get the feeling that pretty much everyone else in that league can't stand PSU. If they tried to block us, that might be our golden ticket.

Having said that, I'd rather be in the Big 12 with WVU, Cincy and PAC and ACC leftovers than the B10.
PSU doesn't give a crap about us, and they have no real power in the Big Ten. In fact, only Michigan and OSU have power in that conference. If they wanted Pitt in, we'd be in. For better or worse, we have little to offer them that is worth $80 million/yr. Few schools do, at this point.

But backfill the vacant memberships with who? Temple, UCONN, Memphis, Marshall, Villanova, Robert Morris.
None of us know what is going to happen, but the people worried about Pitt and the ACC’s future, aren’t being alarmist.
Everything might be fine, but the ACC might also end up being somewhere between the MAC and the old Big East.
I apologize if it came off as me calling them alarmists, because that wasn’t my intention. Heck, I’m in the same boat as you. We really don’t know what’s going to happen, although I have to think we’ll be OK in the end.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT