ADVERTISEMENT

Which Type of School Would You Rather Be a Fan Of?

Oct 25, 2021
1) Duke/Kansas/etc. - Generally elite in basketball; mostly trash in football

2) Oklahoma State/Wisconsin/etc. - Often going to finish in that 20-40 range in both football and basketball

3) Penn State - Top 12-15ish football program; complete afterthought in basketball

Not talking about these specific programs (you hate Penn State; we get it), and I'm not talking about where these programs are exactly right now but rather in general.

Last edited:
1) Duke/Arizona/Kansas/etc. - Generally elite in basketball; mostly trash in football

2) Oklahoma State/Wisconsin/etc. - Often going to finish in that 20-40 range in both football and basketball

3) Penn State - Top 12-15ish football program; complete afterthought in basketball

Not talking about these specific programs (you hate Penn State; we get it), and I'm not talking about where these programs are exactly right now but rather in general.
#2 - Easy Answer For Me

Reactions: H2Ppanthers

Easy. #1

If we cant be Alabama or Ohio State in football then who the hell cares if we are OK St or Wisconsin. I'd rather win bball national titles and suck at football

Easy. #1

If we cant be Alabama or Ohio State in football then who the hell cares if we are OK St or Wisconsin. I'd rather win bball national titles and suck at football
Wait what..?

So which choice would you prefer? Or are you saying you'd rather be one of the few, because not alot of people even remember last years BBall national champion nowadays.

Being a middle of the pack athletic program like Wisconsin, is far more entertaining and enjoyable long term. Plus it produces (or it should produce) solid revenue for the majority of the year. That's pretty much the goal/perspective for both the fans and the athletic employees.

#3 for me by a country mile. Using Penn State as the example on a Pitt board is never going to go over well, but it's too obvious if you say Georgia, Alabama, etc. Like, of course most people would pick *those* schools. Penn State is kind of unique in that they're good but not great in football and awful in basketball (even like an Oregon or something is way too good in basketball for it to not be an obvious choice).

College basketball sucks now. Pitt basketball was always well ahead of Pitt football for me from the time I became a fan in the 90's until some time in the 2010's... but a switch flipped, and now I wouldn't care if we didn't even have a basketball program.

#3 for me by a country mile. Using Penn State as the example on a Pitt board is never going to go over well, but it's too obvious if you say Georgia, Alabama, etc. Like, of course most people would pick *those* schools. Penn State is kind of unique in that they're good but not great in football and awful in basketball (even like an Oregon or something is way too good in basketball for it to not be an obvious choice).

College basketball sucks now. Pitt basketball was always well ahead of Pitt football for me from the time I became a fan in the 90's until some time in the 2010's... but a switch flipped, and now I wouldn't care if we didn't even have a basketball program.
I haven't watched a complete CBB game since I left the US in 2011. I watch bits of Pitt games. I would never watch teams other than Pitt. When living in the US, I would watch numerous tournament games simultaneously. No longer. It is just boring to me now. And I can watch cricket. That's saying something.

I haven't watched a complete CBB game since I left the US in 2011. I watch bits of Pitt games. I would never watch teams other than Pitt. When living in the US, I would watch numerous tournament games simultaneously. No longer. It is just boring to me now. And I can watch cricket. That's saying something.

It's awful. I used to love it and watch all kinds of non-Pitt games. Now, like you, I am mostly limited to bits of Pitt games. Tough to watch straight through.

Of course, I might be saying the same thing about college football if it keeps veering down the path it's on. But, as of now at least, it's still really good.

Reactions: USN_Panther
If I had the power of choice for Pitt it would be that we are a consistent Top Ten football team and an average basketball team.

It's awful. I used to love it and watch all kinds of non-Pitt games. Now, like you, I am mostly limited to bits of Pitt games. Tough to watch straight through.

Of course, I might be saying the same thing about college football if it keeps veering down the path it's on. But, as of now at least, it's still really good.

College football is past that point for me now. I can't watch it much any longer, even Pitt games. They last too long, way too many "official reviews" that take too long, long periods of walking around. Official reviews should be limited to 2 a half and should not last longer than 30 seconds each. Halftimes should be cut back. Running clock on all plays, not stopping on first downs or out of bounds. Games shouldn't be lasting longer than 3 hours, preferably less than that.

At least basketball only lasts 2 hours and play is fairly constant and fast. It keeps my interest.

Reactions: USN_Panther
College football is past that point for me now. I can't watch it much any longer, even Pitt games. They last too long, way too many "official reviews" that take too long, long periods of walking around. Official reviews should be limited to 2 a half and should not last longer than 30 seconds each. Halftimes should be cut back. Running clock on all plays, not stopping on first downs or out of bounds. Games shouldn't be lasting longer than 3 hours, preferably less than that.

At least basketball only lasts 2 hours and play is fairly constant and fast. It keeps my interest.
I'm gonna break some news for you, the games are long for one reason and it doesn't have anything to do with anything on the field.

Any time taken away from the field of play goes to that guy who trots out with that clock on a stick with the red numbers.

The NFL changed a ton of rules to supposedly speed up the game, and college to a lesser extent. Nothing gets shorter, and NFL games are longer than ever. They just jam more commercials in.

Reactions: pittdan77
#1. I’d fold the football team tomorrow if it meant winning multiple NCs in hoops.

Yea, like who gives a crap if we can go 8-4 or 9-3 like Okie State? I'd rather be Duke and suck at football but be elite in basketball. People are excited about women's volleyball. How great would it be to go to several Final Fours a decade a Natty every decade in bball?

Yea, like who gives a crap if we can go 8-4 or 9-3 like Okie State? I'd rather be Duke and suck at football but be elite in basketball. People are excited about women's volleyball. How great would it be to go to several Final Fours a decade a Natty every decade in bball?

College football is just better, to me. I'd rather win a Super Bowl or World Series Championship than the next five Stanley Cups, because hockey just doesn't mean much of anything to me. I do like Pitt basketball, but it's nothing close these days to how I feel about college football.

The whole GameDay at 9:00 am - games late at night is awesome. With college basketball, the first four days of the tournament are the only thing that compares, but that's too short-lived. Other than those four days, the only time people watch college basketball all day is if they have the flu.

Funny because all the psu fans I know root for either Duke, unc or nova in hoops so they take their cake and eat it too

Reactions: TD_6082
I'd take football/basketball success for a school like Duke. I mean Pitt football has 78 wins since joining the ACC, Duke has 73. Mine as well take some basketball national titles with comparable football success.

Option #1

I love college football. However, in today’s economics it’s much more feasible to support a basketball program as there are not nearly as many players to support for NIL money.

Also, the Stillas will always be the regions favorite team. You have to carve out a fan niche and not rival the Steelers or Penguins for entertainment dollars.

I think the area would really embrace a Duke like basketball program! Jamie was not a likable personality for the media so he was never going to get full support. If we had a rockstar coach with savvy media skills Pitt could very well in this region.

Besides, the Pens are trending toward the suck and the Pirates are…well, nevermind.

#1 if we could drop football to FCS, otherwise #2. Hey maybe baseball could finish in the upper half of the ACC too???

#1 if we could drop football to FCS, otherwise #2. Hey maybe baseball could finish in the upper half of the ACC too???
Once the ACC blows up and college football has its “seismic shift,” let’s go back to the Big East with Boston College and Syracuse. Throw UConn and Villanova in there and that’d be the making of a fun FCS conference.

Once the ACC blows up and college football has its “seismic shift,” let’s go back to the Big East with Boston College and Syracuse. Throw UConn and Villanova in there and that’d be the making of a fun FCS conference.
I think it's coming too. The cream will rise to the top and the ones that can't keep up the pace will drift to FCS. Our old Big East will still be great!

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I think it's coming too. The cream will rise to the top and the ones that can't keep up the pace will drift to FCS. Our old Big East will still be great!
I’ve always had the (unpopular) opinion that we should prioritize basketball 100%. Pitt basketball, when it’s elite, has the potential to take over and be embraced by the entire city in a way no other Pitt team can. We can essentially serve as this city’s NBA team.

Reactions: docpanther26
I’ve always had the (unpopular) opinion that we should prioritize basketball 100%. Pitt basketball, when it’s elite, has the potential to take over and be embraced by the entire city in a way no other Pitt team can. We can essentially serve as this city’s NBA team.
For awhile, Pitt basketball seemed like the toughest ticket in town. There was nothing like Big East basketball.

A lot of people have split favorites. I know a lot of people like that.

I'm like that when it comes to hoops. There are several teams I like, and sometimes it changes over time, for a number of different reasons. (players, coaches, etc.)

This is right except the FCS part. I have 0 interest in going to the Big 12. Not excited about a home football schedule vs Utah, Houston, UCF, and Iowa State. I'd rather go back to the Big East and form a football-only conference with UConn, Syr, BC, Duke, etc.

The only problem with the Big East is they have Creighton, DePaul, and Butler, who I'm not excited about. But imagine if Duke got left behind and they added Pitt, Syr, BC, and Duke? Sign me up for that.

This is right except the FCS part. I have 0 interest in going to the Big 12. Not excited about a home football schedule vs Utah, Houston, UCF, and Iowa State. I'd rather go back to the Big East and form a football-only conference with UConn, Syr, BC, Duke, etc.

The only problem with the Big East is they have Creighton, DePaul, and Butler, who I'm not excited about. But imagine if Duke got left behind and they added Pitt, Syr, BC, and Duke? Sign me up for that.
I absolutely agree. I don’t know how likely this would be, but at that point I’d like to see a split between the eastern schools and the midwestern schools.

Midwest: Butler, Creighton, Dayton, DePaul, Loyola-Chicago, Marquette, Saint Louis, Xavier

Northeast: Boston College, Duke, Georgetown, Pitt, Providence, Seton Hall, St. John’s, Syracuse, UConn, Villanova

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT