ADVERTISEMENT

Whipple Resigns

William & Mary and Howard?

Well in that case, by all means, hire him.
I'm not advocating for him to get the job. He did a great job, but it's definitely a big step up. But you are acting like he'd automatically fail.

Maybe you were made CEO of your company immediately. Or maybe you were never given a substantial promotion, just small incremental increases. Whatever it is, I really don't understand your whining like this.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I'm not advocating for him to get the job. He did a great job, but it's definitely a big step up. But you are acting like he'd automatically fail.

Maybe you were made CEO of your company immediately. Or maybe you were never given a substantial promotion, just small incremental increases. Whatever it is, I really don't understand your whining like this.
I am not acting like he would immediately fail.

I am saying he has not done enough to even be considered.

See the difference?

First of all, it would seem that those who worked closely to Whipple knew this was coming. This leads me to believe that the recruiting trip was a matter of convenience and the staff is right on it. Whipple may have told the kid Coach Narduzzi would be in touch today and made a pitch for Pitt as a good place to succeed, etc. If you are the staff you get KP very much involved in the game plan etc., as much as to keep him interested and for the experience as anything, Whipple leaving has no bearing on his circumstances, all the benefits-risks are still there unless a pat on the back from whipple is what Pickett played for, so why should it impact his decision to play?

I am not acting like he would immediately fail.

I am saying he has not done enough to even be considered.

See the difference?
No, I don't. If you don't think he should be considered, then you think he would fail. Anybody you think might be a success, you should at least consider them.

the sales pitch is stabillity of head coach and getting players to the NFL. that narrative has not changed.

you mean the guy who got fired when he didn't have joe burrow, justin jefferson, and jamarre chasse at his disposal?
stock-vector-don-t-feed-the-troll-sign-548074756.jpg

Reactions: pitt90seven
Let KP call his plays in the bowl game.🤣

Kidding but you'd think he could be given some more freedom at this point.

Reactions: Parkview57
Wait--what is your point? As I said, Joe Brady came in and installed, coached and ran that offense that one year only. Then he was gone. He had the exact same players Emsminger did the year before. Emsminger literally had nothing to do with it.

I agree that Brady was the genius behind it.

My point is that an OC can have a year where things fall together for him. And that year is great. That doesn’t mean the OC is great or isn’t replaceable.

Sooo…Duzz kept Whip around for KP and now has nudged him elsewhere. Subtle as a compound fracture. And we all thought Duzz was only nudging away 3 star recruits this past week.

Why would he go to that train wreck? 5 million a year?
It looks like a business decision. Whip wasn't even making $500K at Pitt. If he can get a multiyear deal worth at least a mil, he'll be set up for a nice payday even if the entire staff gets flushed out after next year.

Pretty easy decision if it’s business. Jan 1 no contract and social security or Nebraska contract right?

Pretty easy decision if it’s business. Jan 1 no contract and social security or Nebraska contract right?

Right.

like, we are trying to talk ourselves into reasons why the offense will be good next year. “Rely on the running game more.” “It takes 3 years to learn the offense, so one of the other QBs is about to be ready to crush by that point.” Etc.

But realistically, if you’re Whipple, what are the odds that next year’s offense is even in the same hemisphere as this year’s?

So this is the highest your stock will ever be. It’s only going to go down next year. So you sell now.

Reactions: xslfyk4 and TFBaum
Right.

like, we are trying to talk ourselves into reasons why the offense will be good next year. “Rely on the running game more.” “It takes 3 years to learn the offense, so one of the other QBs is about to be ready to crush by that point.” Etc.

But realistically, if you’re Whipple, what are the odds that next year’s offense is even in the same hemisphere as this year’s?

So this is the highest your stock will ever be. It’s only going to go down next year. So you sell now.
Whipple is going to be 65 years old. The guy could retire today if he wanted to.

Right.

He was making roughly $500K. Did he have an extension on the table from Pitt?

Whipple is going to be 65 years old. The guy could retire today if he wanted to.

Yeah. All the more reason to sell now if you don’t want to retire today.

Lets say the offense goes down next year. Now you need another really good season or two. Now you’re 3 or 4 years away from getting back to your peak value today.

I've learned that what I think or speculate will have no effect on who coaches the bowl game and who Narduzzi hires to replace Whip.

Reactions: Gep Dawg
Yeah. All the more reason to sell now if you don’t want to retire today.

Lets say the offense goes down next year. Now you need another really good season or two. Now you’re 3 or 4 years away from getting back to your peak value today.
I wish him well. He will get a nice chunk of change and then head off into retirement in about 2 years.

No. He was going to retire after last season and didn’t extend his 3 year contract past this season. He came back to ha e one more year with Kenny.
But obviously he isn't going to retire. Were there conversations about an extension after this year? Was Pitt content to let him walk?

First of all, it would seem that those who worked closely to Whipple knew this was coming. This leads me to believe that the recruiting trip was a matter of convenience and the staff is right on it. Whipple may have told the kid Coach Narduzzi would be in touch today and made a pitch for Pitt as a good place to succeed, etc. If you are the staff you get KP very much involved in the game plan etc., as much as to keep him interested and for the experience as anything, Whipple leaving has no bearing on his circumstances, all the benefits-risks are still there unless a pat on the back from whipple is what Pickett played for, so why should it impact his decision to play?
You make good sense!

Reactions: TFBaum
But obviously he isn't going to retire. Were there conversations about an extension after this year? Was Pitt content to let him walk?
What I “heard” is he had a lot of help this year. So, yes. They opened up the offense more.

Meh. One good season out of three. Duzz has the stability and money to hire a good replacement. Let's call Canada!
Let's leave Canada where he is and keep him as far away from Jordan Addison as possible. Pitt MUST hire a replacement that will continue to press the ball downfield. How about bringing in a guy like UCF OC GJ Kinnie. A young guy who likes to be creative and run an offense that likes to score points. Pitt MUST maintain as much as possible the high scoring type of offense they had this year, otherwise they will just fall back into the middle of the pack of Power 5 schools.

I am a little shocked because of his age. I guess he has more aspirations still. I thought this was a I will just stick around and retire, not unlike Walt. But is it more that or is it a little of what we have, or dont have coming back? Is he not that sure he can coach up what is currently on the roster? Could it be a signal Pitt really will look strongly at tranfer portal?

All in all, this isn't the worst thing in the world. If his offense truly does take multiple years to master, the timing would be bad to bring a newby QB in (we're poised to strike now, damnit!). And we should probably gear ourselves up to run the ball a bit more. We have the horses in place for that.

But I'm also not about to downplay what he did for us. This year was big, and he has a lot to do with it. Perhaps more than any other assistant coach when you consider his development of Pic

Do you have any evidence that supports your claim that it was Whipple who should get all the credit for Kenny Pickett's performance this year? How about giving some to Pickett himself for training and believing in himself and the Pitt program to come back and play this year at Pitt. Also, why not give credit to Peyton Manning for talking to Pickett and getting him to believe in himself. Obviously if whipple is the reason for Pickett's success this year, then it is a huge loss. Only Kenny Pickett knows for certain and I don't think he's the type of a person to make disparaging remarks about someone who tried to help him.

Right.

I don’t recall this quote of his but I’d have to imagine that what he actually said was that it would take 3 years to fully implement his offense. Not 3 years for a QB or players to learn it. If that was the case he’d never have had a job at Pitt or anywhere else, and no QB would want to play for him.

Reactions: gary2
He could but instead he’s leaving Pitt for a worse program in a part of the country he’s probably never seen from less than 30,000 feet for more money. Go figure.

leave Canada where he is and keep him as far away from Jordan Addison as possible. Pitt MUST hire a replacement that will continue to press the ball downfield. How about bringing in a guy like UCF OC GJ Kinnie. A young guy who likes to be creative and run an offense that likes to score points. Pitt MUST maintain as much as possible the high scoring type of offense they had this year, otherwise they will just fall back into the middle of the pack of Power 5 schools.

Canada in 2016: 41 ppg
Whip in 2021: 43 PPG
UCF last year (before Kinne): 42.2
UCF this year with Kinne: 29.2

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT