ADVERTISEMENT

who is the most overrated Pittsburgh athlete ever?

i said marc andre fleury in the pens thread, which caused one poster to go into full meltdown mode

if not him, who?

i think an argument can be made for jerome bettis, who else?
The most over-rated Pittsburgh player ever is...

Chad-Hermansen.jpg

He was the FUTURE, remember?

If people are saying Bonds, Bettis, and Fleury, I'll go with.....

Dan Marino.

Hines Ward. Fire away. Good player. Great blocker. Not a #1 guy. Not a HOF player like many in Pgh think.

Fleury is a good goalie. Better than at least half the league's starters. Being hung out to dry like he was in the flyers series a few years ago is not his fault.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Franco. Yea I'm jaded by his current advocacy of Sandusky's deeds ... but he was just a jabroni back in the right place at the right time.

Look, I am not thrilled with his stance on the Sandusky scandal. But I would hardly call him "overrated". He was a great RB, a dominant back before the Steelers had a passing game. They won 2 SB's on his legs and that defense. You can argue he was one of the best draft picks in Steeler history.

Look, I am not thrilled with his stance on the Sandusky scandal. But I would hardly call him "overrated". He was a great RB, a dominant back before the Steelers had a passing game. They won 2 SB's on his legs and that defense. You can argue he was one of the best draft picks in Steeler history.
I really think others are more jaded by the immaculate reception. He benefited tremendously from the OL. He wasn't a dynamic runner. He wasn't a bruising runner. He wasn't a great receiver or blocker for that matter. Just about any other competent back could have done as well.

i am thinking of steelers first round picks

Deon Figures

Huey Richardson

Offside Aaron Jones

Jermaine Stephens......
Since we're talking 1st round picks

Ziggy Hood, Keith Gary, Tom Ricketts, John Rienstra, Charles Johnson, Greg Hawthorne

Reactions: apm74
i said marc andre fleury in the pens thread, which caused one poster to go into full meltdown mode

if not him, who?

i think an argument can be made for jerome bettis, who else?
Because you are a complete moron and a troll. HAHAHAHA now you mention Jerome Bettis. Has anyone ever taken you seriously in any aspect of your life?

I really think others are more jaded by the immaculate reception. He benefited tremendously from the OL. He wasn't a dynamic runner. He wasn't a bruising runner. He wasn't a great receiver or blocker for that matter. Just about any other competent back could have done as well.

Just look what Rocky did, and he was a gimp.

^^^ Jason Kendall ^^^

Guy was average at best. Ppl slobbered over him.

Jason Kendall. When I saw this name in the thread I immediately thought that no other name could top it. He was basicAlly Francisco Cervelli but people acted like he was Johnny Bench minus the power.

He was average - but he played hard and everyone else in those teams was beyond putrid until Brian Giles showed up and HGHed his way to a few monster years.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
I am surprised no one mentioned Terry Bradshaw. Years ago I used to hear that if it weren't for Swann and Stallworth he would have been garbage.

Wait I am not putting Bradshaw on this list

Jason Kendall. When I saw this name in the thread I immediately thought that no other name could top it. He was basicAlly Francisco Cervelli but people acted like he was Johnny Bench minus the power.

He was average - but he played hard and everyone else in those teams was beyond putrid until Brian Giles showed up and HGHed his way to a few monster years.

Yeah he was another who came to my mind.

Yep. Someone beat me to it by a few minutes but when I read the thread title he immediately came to mind.

And you're correct - part of the perception was because the Pirates were SO BAD and ppl were looking for something and Kendall became that something. He did go hard but was avg. Decent singles hitter but that's it. Defense blew.

Reactions: PittPanthers90

Hah - I'm not from Pittsburgh or a Pittsburgh sports fan, but calling Jason Kendall overrated just confirms my lifelong suspicion that Pittsburgh has extremely unknowledgeable bigger-picture sports fan. They provide exceptional support (when times are good), but to call Jason Kendall overrated, a guy who batted .306 over 9 seasons and stole 15 bases a year, plus was a 3x All Star as a catcher, for a putrid franchise, is just comical...

Hah - I'm not from Pittsburgh or a Pittsburgh sports fan, but calling Jason Kendall overrated just confirms my lifelong suspicion that Pittsburgh has extremely unknowledgeable bigger-picture sports fan. They provide exceptional support (when times are good), but to call Jason Kendall overrated, a guy who batted .306 over 9 seasons and stole 15 bases a year, plus was a 3x All Star as a catcher, for a putrid franchise, is just comical...
He was a decent player but ... let's face it ... playing on that atrocious team inflated his significance.

Reactions: load1079
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT