ADVERTISEMENT

Why I would start Yarnell (or Veilleux) next week

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
• I’ll give Jurkovec credit. He’s tough. He has passion. You can tell he clearly wants to win. But, at best, he’s an above average QB. He’s going to make some throws and he’s going to miss some throws. He’ll do something that makes you ask “WTH was that?” and then follow that up by improvising to create a great play.

• Can we make (or win) the ACC Championship with Jurkovec at QB? I don’t think so. FSU is a clear favorite to make it, but there’s still several other teams in the conference who are clearly ahead of us.

• So if we’re not going to make it with Phil as QB1, the question becomes: what’s the upside to continuing to start him? We can probably win seven games with him, maybe eight.

• However, he’s not going to be here after this season. So why not start Veilleux or Yarnell- two QBs who have multiple years of eligibility remaining? I think we could still win at least six games with either of them and, most importantly, you get an idea of what you have moving forward. Remember, we finished 5-7 in 2017 but discovered we had our answer at QB for the future.

• There’s a few arguments to be made in favor of Jurkovec- do you want a young QB making their first start in Morgantown for the Brawl? Also, Jurkovec *did* throw three TDs and drag Pitt back into tonight’s game. While I think the former is a valid point, the comeback only masked the larger issues with Jurkovec starting. There were too many poor throws. He seemed to be losing his composure on the final offensive drive. They just don’t have any chemistry out there.

• So, do you want to take your chances with what you’ve already seen, or do you roll the dice with (presumably) Veilleux? If you don’t think Jurkovec can take you to Charlotte, I think you make the switch.

Last edited:
Reactions: e-fresh and 303vND
Coaches don't think that way. Coaches are going to play who they gives them the best chance to win. Problem is I don't trust PN to pick the best guy or really anything to do with offense. PN strikes me as a guy who would rather lose 10-9 than win 45-44. He has his positives for sure just a blind spot for offense that he simply refuses to get through his thick skull

Reactions: 303vND
Because our coach promises these transfers they will start and play every minute unless injured. No matter how bad it gets. The GT, Louisville and UNC games proved it.

He would rather sacrifice multiple losses (like those games last season, tonight’s game, and undoubtedly several more to come this season), rather than ‘break his word’ , because he doesn’t want future transfers to rule us out. He needs to do this because at this point he can’t recruit prep quarterbacks that are worth a dam, so he has to rely on this crapshoot transfers.

Reactions: bdur76
I’d start someone else for his postgame comments and performance. People are paying him now and if he can’t handle criticism then maybe they need to look elsewhere.

Reactions: 303vND
Where do you get that his ceiling is “above average”? I’d love for that to be true.
I think there are little things (e.g., miscommunication on routes, taking off instead of running into sacks) that I’d expect to improve as the season goes on that’d help both him and the offense. I don’t think the ceiling gets much higher than that, though.

I’d start someone else for his postgame comments and performance. People are paying him now and if he can’t handle criticism then maybe they need to look elsewhere.
Just because people are paying him doesn't mean he isn't free to express his opinion when asked.

• I’ll give Jurkovec credit. He’s tough. He has passion. He you tell can he clearly wants to win. But, at best, he’s an above average QB. He’s going to make some throws and he’s going to miss some throws. He’ll do something that makes you ask “WTH was that?” and then follow that up by improvising to create a great play.

• Can we make (or win) the ACC Championship with Jurkovec at QB? I don’t think so. FSU is a clear favorite to make it, but there’s still several other teams in the conference who are clearly ahead of us.

• So if we’re not going to make it with Phil as QB1, the question becomes: what’s the upside to continuing to start him? We can probably win seven games with him, maybe eight.

• However, he’s not going to be here after this season. So why not start Veilleux or Yarnell- two QBs who have multiple years of eligibility remaining? I think we could still win at least six games with either of them and, most importantly, you get an idea of what you have moving forward. Remember, we finished 5-7 in 2017 but discovered we had our answer at QB for the future.

• There’s a few arguments to be made in favor of Jurkovec- do you want a young QB making their first start in Morgantown for the Brawl? Also, Jurkovec *did* throw three TDs and drag Pitt back into tonight’s game. While I think the former is a valid point, the comeback only masked the larger issues with Jurkovec starting. There were too many poor throws. He seemed to be losing his composure on the final offensive drive. They just don’t have any chemistry out there.

• So, do you want to take your chances with what you’ve already seen, or do you roll the dice with (presumably) Veilleux? If you don’t think Jurkovec can take you to Charlotte, I think you make the switch.
I think you're way off base on this one. Play the guy that gives you the best chance to win on gameday. Anything else is idiotic. Just because Veilleux or Yarnell have eligibility left doesn't necessarily mean they will be here next year.

I think there are little things (e.g., miscommunication on routes, taking off instead of running into sacks) that I’d expect to improve as the season goes on that’d help both him and the offense. I don’t think the ceiling gets much higher than that, though.
I would agree with you if you are talking about freshmen or sophomore guy in his second start. This is a 6th year senior with 26 starts under his belt.

Just because people are paying him doesn't mean he isn't free to express his opinion when asked.
He is free to express his opinion, but what would he be doing if he watched his quarterback put on a performance like that? Sorry, I do not agree with booing college players, but if he is that thin skinned, then maybe he isn't cut out for this.

PJ needs to relax… Theres no chance to complete a pass if he's scrambling around for no reason at all… Theres no doubt in my mind CV, or NY would have had a better stat line… Just think if PJ doesnt fumble there we likely win. Also he needs to show composure. He literally came unglued from the rip.

I think you're way off base on this one. Play the guy that gives you the best chance to win on gameday. Anything else is idiotic. Just because Veilleux or Yarnell have eligibility left doesn't necessarily mean they will be here next year.
That’s fair. What if Veilleux’s ceiling gives you as good of a chance as Jurkovec? We don’t really know that yet. Could be better, could be worse. But, to your point, CV would be starting if Coach Duzz thought he gave the team a better chance to win than Jurkovec.

Phil is starting at WVU, there's no doubt in my mind. Duzz isn't starting one of the younger guys at WVU with how this OL played yesterday.

However, if Phil continues throwing late and underthrowing guys, he has to make a change during the game. Somebody needs to be prepared this week to come in.

Phil is starting at WVU, there's no doubt in my mind. Duzz isn't starting one of the younger guys at WVU with how this OL played yesterday.

However, if Phil continues throwing late and underthrowing guys, he has to make a change during the game. Somebody needs to be prepared this week to come in.
The only way Phil doesn't start is if he gets hurt in practice this week. I agree with your second paragraph 100%, but I fear that HCPN will ride PJ until he gets injured. Coach is too stubborn to pull his anointed QB 1

• Angry
Reactions: FireballZ
• I’ll give Jurkovec credit. He’s tough. He has passion. He you tell can he clearly wants to win. But, at best, he’s an above average QB. He’s going to make some throws and he’s going to miss some throws. He’ll do something that makes you ask “WTH was that?” and then follow that up by improvising to create a great play.

Totally agree!

Reactions: HailToPitt725
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT