ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s BB…

MajorMajors

All American
Sep 29, 2002
Pitt’s women’s BB team lost to WVU yesterday. No surprise, we haven’t beaten WVU in many moons. I didn’t see the game but I actually was a bit encouraged by the team’s tenacity.

In the first half, Pitt was down by as many as 19. They cut the lead to 10 at halftime. Then Pitt scored the first 10 points of the second half and even took the lead – though briefly. Ended up losing by 9.

Should probably have lost by at least 20 when you see that Pitt had 28 turnovers. 28!

Soph. Marley Washenitz had 12 of those turnovers. WVU obviously took advantage of our inexperience. (To make matters worse, Marley is from Fairmont.)

Also, we only shot 2 for 12 from 3.

So, Coach Verdi has lots of coaching-up (and recruiting-up) to do, but, at least through two games, I like the fight in this team

Reactions: cabe23 and jctrack
If I remember correctly, Pitt's run from about the five minute mark of the 2nd quarter to about the six minute mark of the 3rd quarter was 20-2. It turned a 37-20 deficit into a 40-39 lead. That was Pitt's only lead of the game, as WVU hit two threes to take the lead back by five, and Pitt never lead again.

For as bad as Washenitz's 12 turnovers were (and man, were some of them of the really dumb variety) you could see why Verdi had to keep putting her in there. I've only seen her play two games, and backup minutes at that, but it appears that Pitt's backup point guard cannot dribble with her left hand under pressure. Which is astounding for a D1 point guard. There was one play yesterday where she was along the sideline with a defender to the middle of the court that if she just dribbled the ball with her left (outside) hand straight up the sideline she would have easily broken the press, and instead she dribbled with her right hand right back into the defender for an easy steal and basket.

Since you didn't see it, WVU pressed all game. Full court, 40 minutes. And the Pitt guards, for the most part, could not handle it. They dribbled into traps over and over. They passed the ball to teammates who were doubled and trapped as soon as they caught it. They appeared to not understand that it was OK to throw the ball over the press to open teammates in the front court. It was mind-boggling how bad they were at trying to break the press.

And it will surely confuse some people, but WVU did that with one player taller than 5-10 in the starting lineup. They almost never played with two players taller than 6-0 on the court at the same time.

Which is partly why Pitt just absolutely hammered them on the glass. In fact that was what kept Pitt in the game even with all the turnovers. King had 28 and 14 and Ayodele had 18 and 14. So those two combined had 28 rebounds, one less than WVU had as a team.

I think with all the minutes the starters played and the pace of the game with all the pressing that WVU did, that Pitt got a little worn down towards the end. Especially after the big comeback, it can be hard to sustain the kind of effort that makes up a deficit like that. Perkins played all 40. King played 39. Washenitz, even with the turnovers and foul trouble (she fouled out right at the end) played 33, and she was under constant pressure that whole 33. Malcolm played 32, which is a lot more than she has typically played. Aylodele played 31. Got to get more minutes off the bench, which doesn't seem like it's going to happen much this year.

BTW, we were talking about Chatzileonti the other day, I'm not 100% positive that it's her, but someone is wearing a walking boot and I am more than 99% sure that it's her. So even if she were eligible she wouldn't be playing now anyway.

How’s the kid from NA doing? She getting PT?
Jasmine Timmerson has not played yet. The backup PG has been freshman Battle, who has played maybe 5 minutes per game.

If I remember correctly, Battle was originally headed to play for Coach Verdi at UMass.

So far, only 8 players have seen the floor.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Since you didn't see it, WVU pressed all game. Full court, 40 minutes. And the Pitt guards, for the most part, could not handle it. They dribbled into traps over and over. They passed the ball to teammates who were doubled and trapped as soon as they caught it. They appeared to not understand that it was OK to throw the ball over the press to open teammates in the front court. It was mind-boggling how bad they were at trying to break the press.
I'm assuming you saw it live, that makes a difference for sure. I watched most of the first
qtr, had to leave, but came back and saw the 2nd half. The start of the game had WVU
pressing full court. We looked as though we never saw a press, never saw a double team,
and had little idea what to do with it. We dribbled into double teams against the sidelines,
didn't reverse it before the double, and as you said, didn't throw over it either. We dug a
deep hole, but were able to climb out of it. I have to admit, the second half we adjusted
and at least were able to get the ball up the floor looking as though we knew what we
were doing. I don't know why it took so long, because I have to believe they practice
against various presses every day.

Turnovers 28! Last game I commented on the improvement, 11 against Yale. WVU's press
had us out of sorts early and the TO's happened repeatedly. Yale didn't press or come
after us aggressively, WVU did. That has to change. Verdi undoubtedly will work them to
death on this. Marley with 12 is beyond bad. She has to be on the floor, but she has to get
in control and not rush and try to do too much. She's open a lot out front, and the reason
is she can't shoot. I still think she's gonna get it right because, she's an athlete, works hard,
and IMO is coachable. She can get layups, score on the break, and shoot 10 ft and in, no
farther than that. All in all, WVU had better players, and should have won. The fact that
we got back in it and even led at one point surprised me. We'll undoubtedly knock off
some of these weaker OOC teams. ACC? A different animal, and there's a number of
ranked teams in the league.

I have watched South Carolina, Iowa, VaTech, and Stanford. There are some very good teams
out there. Several are in the ACC. After two games, except for the press, I see us having
some fight and a clue of what to do. There apparently is not much depth. Hopefully they
continue to improve, and Verdi gets some talent in here.

I'm assuming you saw it live, that makes a difference for sure. I watched most of the first
qtr, had to leave, but came back and saw the 2nd half. The start of the game had WVU
pressing full court. We looked as though we never saw a press, never saw a double team,
and had little idea what to do with it.

Yeah, I went. I was debating on going or not, since the end of the game overlapped the football game, but it's not like staying home and watching the football game was a great option either.

You are correct in your assessment of how they handled the press. They looked like they had never seen anything like it before. Most teams don't play that way, but they've given a blueprint for future opponents. Of course teams trying to do something that they don't normally do frequently doesn't work out very well.

But yeah, they need to be hitting the press break hard in practice this week.

Reactions: Chescat
Coach Verdi said the they were dribbling against the press with their heads down.

Having attended that one open practice, I’m thinking the women are going to be exhausted this week from having to run the floor until they get it right on breaking the press….

I can hear Coach Verdi shouting: “It had to be perfect!”

Go Pitt.

Reactions: jctrack
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT