ADVERTISEMENT

Wow: Colin Cowherd says Mike Tomlin is hurting the Steelers!!

Cowherd is on the money!
Watch other coaches interact with their players and staff on good and bad plays and compare that to Tomlin.
The Steelers staff and players don't look like they're on the same page and don't look like they're pumped up to play!
Evidence of that is the Steelers record and stats!

I agree with a lot of what he said

"Did Big Ben's absence prove the Steelers are just an average team with a great QB?"

Does a stupid question like this unequivocally prove Cowherd is a douche? They lost by eleven to arguably the best team in football with a rash of injuries prior to the game.

I think you can make the arguement that tomlin isn't a great coach but you have to give him credit that he has a pretty damn good record as a coach in the NFL. I don't think he is anywhere near a belicheat or even harbaugh. But he is probably in the 10 to 20 range of NFL coaches. Problem is that range isn't getting you fired until the talent all leaves and then its to late. Also you never know if you will get anything better. Its similar in my opinion to DW he was getting better results than previous coaches but it was obvious he wasn't getting the most out of what he had. As Pitt fan's now know it's not always easier to come out ahead by changing a coach like that.

"Did Big Ben's absence prove the Steelers are just an average team with a great QB?"

Does a stupid question like this unequivocally prove Cowherd is a douche? They lost by eleven to arguably the best team in football with a rash of injuries prior to the game.
The Dolphins and Eagles aren't exactly "worldbeaters."
Cant lose the games you should win! I put those loses squarely on the HC and staff. Losing the games a team should win plus games against "good" teams = a lost season.
Good teams find ways to win despite injuries like playing tough D while Ben is out.

Reactions: sherepower
This is just my personal opinion, but I think that Tomlin is given an extra-long leash because he does have a Super Bowl win on his record.

The argument has been made that he won it with talent that he inherited, but nonetheless, it's tough to win the Big One -- and he did it.

Their record under him against bad teams is an embarrassment. I don't think he's terrible but this alone suggests there's a lot of room for improvement.

And his record challenging plays is terrible as well. I realize they have help but if his advice has been bad then it's on him to get someone better. When he challenged Gronk's catch it was stupid. Think they could have used that time out at the end of the half Sunday?

Reactions: haberton13
No question he is right. team is undisciplined, and is unprepared mentally for many games. too much partying during the season. and too many empty phrases, sounds like a commercial most of the time. without good ben, this team doesn't sniff the playoffs. chuck noll is rolling in his grave.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Their record under him against bad teams is an embarrassment. I don't think he's terrible but this alone suggests there's a lot of room for improvement.

And his record challenging plays is terrible as well. I realize they have help but if his advice has been bad then it's on him to get someone better. When he challenged Gronk's catch it was stupid. Think they could have used that time out at the end of the half Sunday?
He is horrible at challenging, has to take some of the blame on the record against bad teams(ben has been really bad on the road and deserves a percentage of the blame as well) and doesn't do a good job at game management. However you have to give him some credit for winning a pretty high percentage against good teams. It doesn't matter he isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Take out Tomlin's games against Cleveland and his record isn't that great! He will leave on his own shortly after Ben decides to hang em up.

Take out Tomlin's games against Cleveland and his record isn't that great! He will leave on his own shortly after Ben decides to hang em up.
Take out his record against sub 500 teams and his record has to be pretty damn good against teams above 500. He has a .577 win percentage overall if you take his poor record against bad teams out that number has to be one of the best in the NFL against winning teams.

Leave it to Pittsburghers... well and Pitt Poker, whatever on earth she is, to say Tomlin, the 14th highest winning percentage coach IN NFL HISTORY should be fired.

And, of course, since both Pitt Poker and Colin Cowherd are morons, I can expect as much from both of them, but the rest of you?

He has a higher winning percentage than Bill Cowher, Chuck Noll, Bill Walsh, Tom Landry and like 99 percent of all other coaches. Give him a long leash?? Yeah, that is probably warranted given the QB is hurt and the front office has screwed up.

Leave it to Pittsburghers... well and Pitt Poker, whatever on earth she is, to say Tomlin, the 14th highest winning percentage coach IN NFL HISTORY should be fired.

And, of course, since both Pitt Poker and Colin Cowherd are morons, I can expect as much from both of them, but the rest of you?

He has a higher winning percentage than Bill Cowher, Chuck Noll, Bill Walsh, Tom Landry and like 99 percent of all other coaches. Give him a long leash?? Yeah, that is probably warranted given the QB is hurt and the front office has screwed up.
Are you saying that he has no "say so" in their drafts? I mention that because a lot of the team's problems are because of their draft day failures.

Their lack of big plays on defense - which used to be a Steelers trademark- is appalling. And their failure to have a respectable QB to back-up Ben might be the factor that keeps them out of the playoffs.

Ummmm.............I don't by he has a better record than Cowher. Also keep in mind Cowher had to work with Cordal Stewart, Tommie Maddox, Neil O'Donnell as his QB's. Yet, he always made the playoffs.

Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 5 or 6 years. Besides the gift Cincy gave us last year. When that knuckle head lost his mind.

To compare Tomlin to Cohwer is ridiculous. He can't hold Cohwer jock strap

Reactions: PittPoker
strapped
Are you saying that he has no "say so" in their drafts? I mention that because a lot of the team's problems are because of their draft day failures.

Their lack of big plays on defense - which used to be a Steelers trademark- is appalling. And their failure to have a respectable QB to back-up Ben might be the factor that keeps them out of the playoffs.
Dont argue with someone who doesn't have a clue

The Dolphins and Eagles aren't exactly "worldbeaters."
Cant lose the games you should win! I put those loses squarely on the HC and staff. Losing the games a team should win plus games against "good" teams = a lost season.
Good teams find ways to win despite injuries like playing tough D while Ben is out.

Eagles just humiliated the last NFL unbeaten team

Colin is absolutely 100% right...

Nobody in the Pittsburgh media will ever dare criticize Tomlin though....why?? Are they scared or intimidated? I dont get it??

This team just doesnt get any better...the front 7 on D is soooooo soft, which is inexcusable considering most of them are high draft picks. The secondary has been a train wreck for years...they cant fix it.

Tons of injuries every year and we NEVER seem to have good depth at any position, especially on D and QB.

Bottom line, there is no excuse for losing to bad teams time and time and time again!! That is 100% the sign of a poorly coached team.

Ummmm.............I don't by he has a better record than Cowher. Also keep in mind Cowher had to work with Cordal Stewart, Tommie Maddox, Neil O'Donnell as his QB's. Yet, he always made the playoffs.

Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 5 or 6 years. Besides the gift Cincy gave us last year. When that knuckle head lost his mind.

Yeah but who picked these qb's? Cowher had no say in the qb's who started for him? Personally I think Cowher was a conservative defensive minded coach, sort of like Dave Wannestedt. I.E. run the ball control the clock, strong defense, have a qb who is merely a game manager who doesn't turn the ball over. Cowher was a great REGULAR SEASON coach, he had his players overachieve during the regular season. He was not a good playoff coach. Pittsburgh choked against Buffalo, San Diego, New England (Twice), and in all honesty were bailed out against Seattle by the officials.

Under Tomlin the defense hasn't been as good but the offense has been more explosive. The team in general has been more undisciplined under Tomlin as well, and Pittsburgh definitely wets the bed when playing against teams they should beat. But the strange thing this year is that Ben complained about the intensity of the practices the week of the Miami game, which flies in the face of the narrative of Pittsburgh taking these kinds of games lightly.

Reactions: Pitt79
Yeah but who picked these qb's? Cowher had no say in the qb's who started for him? Personally I think Cowher was a conservative defensive minded coach, sort of like Dave Wannestedt. I.E. run the ball control the clock, strong defense, have a qb who is merely a game manager who doesn't turn the ball over. Cowher was a great REGULAR SEASON coach, he had his players overachieve during the regular season. He was not a good playoff coach. Pittsburgh choked against Buffalo, San Diego, New England (Twice), and in all honesty were bailed out against Seattle by the officials.

Under Tomlin the defense hasn't been as good but the offense has been more explosive. The team in general has been more undisciplined under Tomlin as well, and Pittsburgh definitely wets the bed when playing against teams they should beat. But the strange thing this year is that Ben complained about the intensity of the practices the week of the Miami game, which flies in the face of the narrative of Pittsburgh taking these kinds of games lightly.
Well, considering Cohwer gave Tomlin a franchise QB. In Ben. Makes the last 5 or 6 years inexcusable

You mean the Bill Cowher who lost 4 AFC Championship games at home? If Cowher's qbs stunk, who's fault is that? You're blaming Tomlin for the lack of a good backup, wouldn't the lack of a good starter then be Cowher's fault? Cowher didn't even want to draft Ben, the Rooneys had to step in. Cowher made the playoffs 10 out of 15 years. Tomlin has made them 6 out of 9. If you have any math skills you'll recognize that the percentage is identical. Steeler fans really deserve a Marty Mohrningwig type of coach. Some 3-13 seasons would smack some sense into them. The team has one 11 loss season in the last 46 years, and they think they're entitled to win the Super Bowl every year. Some clown caller on the radio said we should have won 6 Super Bowls under Cowher. The stupidity in this town never ceases to amaze me.

Well, considering Cohwer gave Tomlin a franchise QB. In Ben. Makes the last 5 or 6 years inexcusable

2011 I remember the turning point in that season was Big Ben playing on that Monday Night against Frisco, basically completely immobile, instead of starting Batch. At the time I believed that Tomlin just didn't have the authority to sit Ben; seemed like Ben had more power than he did. Anyway the Steelers lose that game, become a wild card team, forced to play Denver in the high altitude and lose. Then Arians is fired and the team hasn't been the same since.

Reactions: sherepower
So its okay to lose to the Eagles 32-3 and we werent even competative?? That was embarrassing.

Minnesota I would say is better than Pittsburgh and the Eagles did the same to them. Maybe you need to acknowledge that Philly is a good team? At least on their home field.

You mean the Bill Cowher who lost 4 AFC Championship games at home? If Cowher's qbs stunk, who's fault is that? You're blaming Tomlin for the lack of a good backup, wouldn't the lack of a good starter then be Cowher's fault? Cowher didn't even want to draft Ben, the Rooneys had to step in. Cowher made the playoffs 10 out of 15 years. Tomlin has made them 6 out of 9. If you have any math skills you'll recognize that the percentage is identical. Steeler fans really deserve a Marty Mohrningwig type of coach. Some 3-13 seasons would smack some sense into them. The team has one 11 loss season in the last 46 years, and they think they're entitled to win the Super Bowl every year. Some clown caller on the radio said we should have won 6 Super Bowls under Cowher. The stupidity in this town never ceases to amaze me.
Again, if you think Tomlin has done more than Cohwer. You sir, have not a clue in what your talking about.

Its not a coincidence once Cohwers players have left the Steelers. Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in 6 years. Except for Cincy last year.

At least Cohwer took us to the AFC championship games like 4 or 5 times.

Seriously, if Cohwer doesn't gift wrap Ben to Tomlin. It would be very ugly

Minnesota I would say is better than Pittsburgh and the Eagles did the same to them. Maybe you need to acknowledge that Philly is a good team? At least on their home field.

They are okay, doesnt mean you get clobbered 32-3 and are not even competative! If you see your team as a contender you cant lose any games by 30.

This isnt about Philly anyway...its about the Steelers and Tomlin.

even the 95 AFC Title game against the Colts it took a dropped interception by the Colt player late in the 4th qtr to avoid another playoff choke job.

But with regards to this current team the defense just isn't good enough to ever seriously consider them title contenders.

They are okay, doesnt mean you get clobbered 32-3 and are not even competative! If you see your team as a contender you cant lose any games by 30.

This isnt about Philly anyway...its about the Steelers and Tomlin.

I don't think the Philly loss was a case of Pittsburgh not taking them seriously, they were just physically beaten. We don't know what would have happened in the Miami game if Ben doesn't get hurt.

Cowher lost 5 AFC championship games.... so he sucks right? Lol

Tomlin doesnt have a snowballs chance in hell of ever making it to 5 AFC championship games.....WITH HIS PLAYERS!

Last edited:
Seriously, did you read what you typed?

Bill Cohwer who lost 5 AFC championship games. Plus he won a Super Bowl.

You realize Tomlin has won 1 playoff game in 5 or 6 years. I wish we would go to a AFC championship games like Cohwer produced consistently. Wow!

I would like to know why Arians was fired. Is it really a coincidence that this slide started after he was released? Pittsburgh didn't win a playoff game in 2011 but they were 12-4, should have won the division if Batch starts against Frisco instead of an injured Ben. They haven't come close to what they were in 2011 since

I would like to know why Arians was fired. Is it really a coincidence that this slide started after he was released? Pittsburgh didn't win a playoff game in 2011 but they were 12-4, should have won the division if Batch starts against Frisco instead of an injured Ben. They haven't come close to what they were in 2011 since

Idk? Arians was a good OC... but our issue isnt offense, its D.

Our D is so soft... you can run on us... we dont get pressure... many of our guys are high draft picks and they still are average at best as a unit. Very frustrating. They dont seem to ever improve.

Idk? Arians was a good OC... but our issue isnt offense, its D.

Our D is so soft... you can run on us... we dont get pressure... many of our guys are high draft picks and they still are average at best as a unit. Very frustrating. They dont seem to ever improve.

Basically I wonder if the wrong coach was let go? Ditto for the Colts, seems like the Steelers and the Colts made a mistake in not making Arians head coach? Look at what Arians did in Indy that one season, then what he has done in Arizona. He has outperformed Tomlin and Pagano, imo

Reactions: daminals76
Arians was fired because the offense he was running was getting Ben physically beaten up. He's not getting sacked nearly as much since Bruce left.

Seriously, if Cohwer doesn't gift wrap Ben to Tomlin. It would be very ugly
Again, it's well known that Cowher wanted to draft o-lineman Sean Andrews, not Ben. Dan Rooney stepped in and told Cowher to draft Ben, so let's not give Cowher undue credit for drafting Ben. It's like people trying to give Cowher credit for James Harrison, who Cowher cut three times, and who did absolutely nothing until Tomlin became head coach.
No one was playing a 3-4 defense except for the Steelers in the late 90s. That meant that guys like Aaron Smith, a first round talent, who really didn't fit a 4-3 defense, were left sitting around to be plucked in the 3rd and 4th rounds. Once more teams took up the 3-4, this low hanging fruit disappeared. Plus, teams figured out how to beat LeBeau's defense. This always happens, and is why style of play is always changing in the league.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT