ADVERTISEMENT

“Franklin has to be the guy” for USC - CBS Sports

I can see the appeal behind Northwestern (Chicago market, Big Ten West Division, great facilities), but naming it the fifth best job in America? Eh…

The guy who wrote the article actually posited that Kentucky was the best job in America, because Kentucky actually pays their football coach pretty well, and if you could win eight games a year there most years they'd keep you on as coach forever.

I get where he's coming from, but I can't imagine any good coach would consider Kentucky the best job, because good coaches want to win big, and being just good enough to win eight games or so every year and finishing in the middle of the pack in your division of your conference wouldn't appeal to a good coach.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Franklin likes center stage. The glitz and the glamor of being in LA is right in his sweet spot. Plus he has a better chance of making the playoffs. If he is offered, I believe he’ll take it.

I have no thoughts on what he would do if offered. The center stage things works both ways though. While USC is a high profile job in college football, it's a far cry from the number one game in town. The fans in Happy Valley probably stroke a coaches ego more, tbh.

The guy who wrote the article actually posited that Kentucky was the best job in America, because Kentucky actually pays their football coach pretty well, and if you could win eight games a year there most years they'd keep you on as coach forever.

I get where he's coming from, but I can't imagine any good coach would consider Kentucky the best job, because good coaches want to win big, and being just good enough to win eight games or so every year and finishing in the middle of the pack in your division of your conference wouldn't appeal to a good coach.
Agreed. On top of that, Kentucky isn’t typically a fertile recruiting territory. When you’re not one of the SEC’s “blue bloods,” it’s hard to compete in other schools’ backyards.

It depends. If you are motivated by money and job security a little more than winning, it's a great job. Perhaps he's happy there.

UK is really weird in that they have totally realistic expectations and know exactly who they are in football, yet it's impossible to win enough there in basketball. Coach Cal does a great job of dealing with all the bullshit.

Nick Sabam obviously thought that way. Otherwise he would have hung around Miami.

Saban went someplace where he had a much better chance to win. And that was going to pay him almost the exact same amount of money (and is now paying him way more than he would likely be making in the NFL).

Franklin likes center stage. The glitz and the glamor of being in LA is right in his sweet spot. Plus he has a better chance of making the playoffs. If he is offered, I believe he’ll take it.
Mr. Franklin is not going anywhere. Has no interest in doing so. Agent has advised him to keep mum in order to leverage more $ out of PSU. Next case. . . .

Reactions: RaymondReddington
USC seems like Pitt circa 1980's. It is easy to build winners there. Yet they aren't. Thus the problem is external to athletics. High risk for a young coach to go there.

Having lived in both NYC and LA, I can unequivocally say there is no better place to live in the US than those two cities if you are a wealthy person. So, if USC is willing to pay Franklin $7M a year it doesn't matter what the cost of living compares relative to PA. Also, as an African-American he'd probably like LA a whole lot more than State College.

The fact that Franklin is seen to have done a heck of a job when Penn State seems to be underperforming shows that USC is clearly the bigger job.
Sick of us talking ish on PSU and their program is so much better than this one. I would kill if Narduzzi did half of what PSU has done during his tenure.

Sick of us talking ish on PSU and their program is so much better than this one. I would kill if Narduzzi did half of what PSU has done during his tenure.

What else is there to do besides make fun of PSU and WVU when bad things happen to them? It's not like Pitt fans have much to cheer about.

I don't think they Franklin is going to leave to for USC. USC's administration has totally botched that job and made it much less attractive than it was a decade ago.

As far as housing goes, both UCLA and USC rent homes for the coaches; homes picked out by the coaches. The area can be wherever the coach wants, within budgetary constraints. Jim Mora when he was at UCLA had them rent a home for him 3/4 of a block from where Josh Rosen lived in Pacific Palisades. Rosen was in 10th grade then I believe.

I would guess that Franklin could find a home here in an area which has better air quality than State College. Manhattan Beach is very popular with USC coaches. I would think his daughter would have access to better health care than she does now too.

Recruiting has changed in Southern Cal, but USC still has many advantages. Under Johnny McKay, USC created a network of “feeder” high schools. Some were public high schools like Long Beach Poly. Others were parochial schools like Mater Dei and Bishop Amat. Those schools all installed USC’s offense and defense, with the help of USC coaches. USC identified and steered top prospects to those schools as early as 9th grade.

Under Tollner and Hackett, that pipeline suffered. Carrol tried to reinstate it but I don’t think he was completely successful. Oregon in particular has made huge strides here, which likely explains some of USC’s interest in Christobal.

In this vein, Pitt is a great job.

Really, it is. You got the Steelers to practice with, with is an insane draw. Great city, great stadium, football fan base to be had, great history, and mediocre recent history that gives you the same as above, that 8-9 wins brings you accolades. And quite frankly, Pitt is about as good already as everyone else in our division. That is also pretty attractive... being able to walk into a good team in a winnable conference.

I DEFININTELY think the conversation shouldnt even be discussed to get a new coach at Pitt until after this season, as of course just 24 hours ago everyone loved where we were at, but I would meet with Mike Tomlin if I was Heather and pay him a consulting fee to give his advice on the next coach, bring in one of his buds to be a protege and build that relationship even more.

"They're comparable jobs, but I think USC has a slightly higher ceiling and I think Franklin's probably hit his ceiling at PSU after eight years," Jeyarajah wrote. "He's done a heck of a job but it's time for something new."

CBS sports

Makes sense for Franklin, maybe not USC

By the way, USC wont hire him. The guy is crooked. He blew up Vandy's team in a bad way, and sure he is running a crooked ship now. with marginal success. If he was our coach, this board woulda fired him about 20 times already

• Haha
Reactions: paradox1984
Having lived in both NYC and LA, I can unequivocally say there is no better place to live in the US than those two cities if you are a wealthy person. So, if USC is willing to pay Franklin $7M a year it doesn't matter what the cost of living compares relative to PA. Also, as an African-American he'd probably like LA a whole lot more than State College.
Depends on what you like. NYC/LA would be prison for people like me who enjoy the outdoors and personal space.

Last edited:
By the way, USC wont hire him. The guy is crooked. He blew up Vandy's team in a bad way, and sure he is running a crooked ship now. with marginal success. If he was our coach, this board woulda fired him about 20 times already
USC won't hire him because they are cheap & he will place a lot of demands on them if he takes that job.

Yes, he cheats. All big schools cheat. All schools color outside the lines to some extent.

Reactions: Dan1911
USC won't hire him because they are cheap & he will place a lot of demands on them if he takes that job.

Yes, he cheats. All big schools cheat. All schools color outside the lines to some extent.

As Breaking Bad said "You dont need a criminal lawyer, you need a CRIMINAL, lawyer."

The guy is a criminal. USC is the same school that went after Lori Laughton or whatever her name was. I cant see them going that way.

As far as housing goes, both UCLA and USC rent homes for the coaches; homes picked out by the coaches. The area can be wherever the coach wants, within budgetary constraints. Jim Mora when he was at UCLA had them rent a home for him 3/4 of a block from where Josh Rosen lived in Pacific Palisades. Rosen was in 10th grade then I believe.

I would guess that Franklin could find a home here in an area which has better air quality than State College. Manhattan Beach is very popular with USC coaches. I would think his daughter would have access to better health care than she does now too.

Recruiting has changed in Southern Cal, but USC still has many advantages. Under Johnny McKay, USC created a network of “feeder” high schools. Some were public high schools like Long Beach Poly. Others were parochial schools like Mater Dei and Bishop Amat. Those schools all installed USC’s offense and defense, with the help of USC coaches. USC identified and steered top prospects to those schools as early as 9th grade.

Under Tollner and Hackett, that pipeline suffered. Carrol tried to reinstate it but I don’t think he was completely successful. Oregon in particular has made huge strides here, which likely explains some of USC’s interest in Christobal.
Who was the USC basketball coach that commuted from San Diego? Was it Kevin O'Neil?

Who is a criminal?

??????

Not sure what you mean. THere are 100,000s of criminals no way I could possibly list them all. I would assume you would remember who this thread is about. I guess we should slow things down for you.

Obviously LA is a better city than state college but
For a coach (in general and Franklin Specifically) is LA better?
Taxes/housing. The tax rate in LA and Cali is drastically higher so his earnings aren’t as much (I get up at 6 million it is lessoned but still.).
Commute. He can drive to and from work jn 10 minutes. I’m LA that probably becomes 30-45 minimum. That is Huge for a family man already putting in long hours.
Environment- the air quality in LA is putrid compared to central PA and with a daughter with Sickle Cell Anemia- that could be a big Issue.
Location - he is from PA. Done Rumy the allure of leading the ‘hometown school’ trumps other factors.
more distractions- might make it harder to keep players focused.
USC might be a bigger brand but it isn’t a huge disparity

I think the recruiting grounds is misleading. Yes the LA area is ripe and the state too. Where it’s misleading is people say California has much more talent than PA. That’s true. But if you go by distance to campus - much if that talent is > 2 hours away from USC. Similar distance to PSU would include Jersey snd the DMV which makes the talent gap closer.
I will agree with OSU - against Michigan he is 3-4. However he is 3-1 in last 4 games. OSU is ahead of us. Michigan is equal. Like Iregon or Washington would be to USC
@PSUinSTL Don't bother. They only reason this fan base wants him at USC because they want PSU in turmoil (or at least dealing with change).

He likes the glitz glamour of LA. LOL. LA's a pro town. Unless its a marquee matchup, the Trojans are behind the Dodgers, Lakers, Rams, Clippers & Angels in glitz...and maybe even their hockey & soccer teams.

LA has at least a 50% higher cost of living. Someone mentioned he makes $6M/yr at PSU. USC would have to pay him $9M just to break even...without even calculating his tax implications.

USC's last 5 coaches were Sark, Kiffin, Eddie O, Helton...all pretty high profile guys with success...and ALL gone now...even with the SoCal fertile recruiting ground. They're the Texas of the West Coast (Sark could already be on the hot seat)...and in another fertile recruiting ground.

His motivation doesn't appear to be money. It's being the first African American coach to win a national title. He's just short of 50 years old...and probably doesn't want to coach into his 80's. He has a lot invested in PSU. Will he be willing to scrap all he's done at PSU (& PSU is better off than he found it) to start another rebuild? I don't know. He certainly could. He's a data guy. He'll probably list pros & cons of both jobs & try to make an analytical decision.

@PSUinSTL Don't bother. They only reason this fan base wants him at USC because they want PSU in turmoil (or at least dealing with change).

He likes the glitz glamour of LA. LOL. LA's a pro town. Unless its a marquee matchup, the Trojans are behind the Dodgers, Lakers, Rams, Clippers & Angels in glitz.

LA has at least a 50% higher cost of living. Someone mentioned he makes $6M/yr at PSU. USC would have to pay him $9M just to break even.

USC's last 5 coaches were Sark, Kiffin, Eddie O, Helton...all pretty high profile guys with success...and ALL gone now...even with the SoCal fertile recruiting ground. They're the Texas of the West Coast (Sark could already be on the hot seat)...and in another fertile recruiting ground.

His motivation doesn't appear to be money. It's being the first African American coach to win a national title. He's just short of 50 years old...and probably doesn't want to coach into his 80's. He has a lot invested in PSU. Will he be willing to scrap all he's done at PSU (& PSU is better off than he found it) to start another rebuild? I don't know. He certainly could. He's a data guy. He'll probably list pros & cons of both jobs & try to make an analytical decision.
Pennsyltucky in the Pitt house. Must be tiring to have Pitt on your mind all the time.

Reactions: Dan1911
Exactly, except I don’t thing he’s leveraging money for salary. More likely leveraging money for facilities he needs to take the next step.

Yeah, that is a great dream for you guys. If you think a guy with Franklins personality wouldnt like LA over cow pasture U you must be on some great drugs. For crying out loud, he said he hires coaches based on how their wives look

Pennsyltucky in the Pitt house. Must be tiring to have Pitt on your mind all the time.
These PSU fans comparing State College to Southern California are ridiculous. It’s not like the USC coach has to live in the middle of the city either, Pete Carroll lived on some houseboat in Malibu. Mike Trout lives near Newport Beach. And the list goes on. These places are literally paradise compared to State College.

These PSU fans comparing State College to Southern California are ridiculous. It’s not like the USC coach has to live in the middle of the city either, Pete Carroll lived on some houseboat in Malibu. Mike Trout lives near Newport Beach. And the list goes on. These places are literally paradise compared to State College.
If you have never left Pennsyltucky you think it is great with all the road kill available.

Reactions: BFo8

Hey, you could be right. He may not mind a lengthy commute to live in a once in a lifetime home/location. Or he could enjoy making $6m/year in a job where he literally can be home in 10 minutes to spend time with his family. Only he knows what he wants.

He likes the glitz glamour of LA. LOL. LA's a pro town. Unless its a marquee matchup, the Trojans are behind the Dodgers, Lakers, Rams, Clippers & Angels in glitz...and maybe even their hockey & soccer teams.

LA has at least a 50% higher cost of living. Someone mentioned he makes $6M/yr at PSU. USC would have to pay him $9M just to break even...without even calculating his tax implications.

Isnt that the same reason the psu flamers come on here every loss calling for Pitt to fire coaches?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT