ADVERTISEMENT

1998 - ESPN Classic

DiehardPanther

Heisman Winner
Apr 26, 2017
They are replaying the ‘98 game at the FH in which El-Amin hit the game winner. Just in case you want a flashback in which a kick in the nuts was delivered.

They are replaying the ‘98 game at the FH in which El-Amin hit the game winner. Just in case you want a flashback in which a kick in the nuts was delivered.
That season started so promising, including a win over Kentucky, but this game sent that team on a free fall, both on and off the court.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
And speaking of nuts and El-Amin....he was on top the scorer's table grabbing his nuts, taunting the crowd, all while Calhoun is grabbing him by the legs trying to pull him down. Folks started throwing drinks at him. I wish there was video of that.

We went from getting ready to rush the court, to it being dead quiet and everyone shocked.

El-Amin stated after that game that people were taunting him with racial epithets during the game. That’s why he jumped on the scorer’s table.

El-Amin stated after that game that people were taunting him with racial epithets during the game. That’s why he jumped on the scorer’s table

That's what he said. And actually, he said it was widespread and that he was getting it all game from many people behind the UConn bench. Now I would never say that there wasn't some idiot who said something stupid, but as someone who sat beside the UConn bench I didn't hear any of that at all that game. People were calling him fat a lot, but the last time I checked that wasn't a racial condition.

I always thought he used the racial stuff because after the heat of the moment (and after his head coach finally got him under control) it made his actions seem alright in comparison.

El-Amin stated after that game that people were taunting him with racial epithets during the game. That’s why he jumped on the scorer’s table.

I didn't hear any of that but the crowd did chant "fatboy" or "fatass" every time he touched the ball.

I didn't hear any of that but the crowd did chant "fatboy" or "fatass" every time he touched the ball.
If I’m not mistaken, the actual chant was “Fatbutt” which was actually completely appropriate. ;)

I didn't hear any racial stuff.

Crowd was chanting "Mari-Juana" cause he got busted for weed that year.

And I recall the other chant was doughboy, as in Pillsbury doughboy.

Yeah ... we chanted just about everything for 39:39. After that ...

That was one of my first ever Pitt memories. It was one of my first ever games in the Field House. I was 9 years old...sadly I was super hooked onto Pitt even after the loss.

Yeah that was lame. It is not like Pitt had a team of white boys out there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT