ADVERTISEMENT

NIT idea

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
The winner gets an auto bid to next year's NCAA Tournament. They do this in European soccer where the Europa League champ gets an auto bid to the Champions League group stage. Perhaps the NIT winner could be guaranteed a spot in Dayton, at least. Would add some intrigue and eyeballs to a tournament that is trying to fight off the new Fox Big Ten/Big 12 tournament.

There's a post season Big 10/Big 12 tournament?

Fox is creating some sort of tournament for the teams it has had broadcast rights to, I believe. That's what made the NIT eliminate mid-major auto qualifers because the NIT had taken a huge hit with so many bad mid-major teams in it.

The winner gets an auto bid to next year's NCAA Tournament. They do this in European soccer where the Europa League champ gets an auto bid to the Champions League group stage. Perhaps the NIT winner could be guaranteed a spot in Dayton, at least. Would add some intrigue and eyeballs to a tournament that is trying to fight off the new Fox Big Ten/Big 12 tournament.
Winning team splits $1,000,000.

Winning team splits $1,000,000.

They cant do that because pay for play is technically not allowed and that's clearly a prize for performance.

I do think my winning team gets an auto bid next year is an incredibly good idea. No one is turning down a bid then.

I dont hate it - especially the way I feel right now. Plus would allow Blake to leave more legacy.

But man - could you imagine if some shitty team swiped a bid from us this year because they won the NIT LAST year?

I dont hate it - especially the way I feel right now. Plus would allow Blake to leave more legacy.

But man - could you imagine if some shitty team swiped a bid from us this year because they won the NIT LAST year?

Could you imagine Pitt is playing Ohio State in the NIT Final for an auto bid to next year's tournament? The game would have the intensity and interest level of a conference tournament championship.

As for like BC winning this year's NIT and going 10-22 next year, I mean, they are essentially a "conference champ," the same as a MEAC team who wins their conference with a losing record. I dont view Howard as stealing a bid from Pitt because the spot is reserved for them. There is 1 less auto bid now with the death of the Pac 12 so essentially its the same 32 auto bids, just swapping P12 Champ for NIT champ

Here's an idea. Scrap it.

It's outlived it's usefulness. That's been true for several years, imo. Now, in the NIL era, it's even more of a relic.

Reactions: latz66
Thinking outside box why not move the NIT to the start of the following season. The teams that didn’t make tournament weren’t picked for a variety reasons, but it would at least provide an opportunity for them to increase their profile for the next season. The teams would get to play games that would matter instead playing in a meaningless tournament.

They cant do that because pay for play is technically not allowed and that's clearly a prize for performance.

I do think my winning team gets an auto bid next year is an incredibly good idea. No one is turning down a bid then.
Sure;y tyou have a great idea NOT. Just imagine you win the NIT, your coach bolts for the SEC, 12 players leave, the new coach has a a tough time recruiting and the team goes 6-24. What a great idea giving a bif to a 6-24 team. You would only post 3,000 times what a bad idea your good idea was and of course you would say you didn't mean it the way everyone with a brain took it mean/

Sure;y tyou have a great idea NOT. Just imagine you win the NIT, your coach bolts for the SEC, 12 players leave, the new coach has a a tough time recruiting and the team goes 6-24. What a great idea giving a bif to a 6-24 team. You would only post 3,000 times what a bad idea your good idea was and of course you would say you didn't mean it the way everyone with a brain took it mean/

If you win the NIT and 12 players leave, the new coach can sell a guaranteed NCAA Tournament spot to players in the portal so they would be near the top of the list for many good portal players. If a Missouri situation happens and they have to play in the First Four, oh well. There's been plenty of worse teams, talent wise, than this Missouri team. Plenty of under .500 teams from crap conference have made it.

They'll scrap it when no one goes. It's pretty far down of the list in terms of interest...and its going to continue to fall. How many teams opted out? Five? Eight? The trend will continue.

Serious question...does the women's tournament get better ratings? It likely will this year. When no one wants to televise it, it will go away. (Said in a loud whisper from an Iowa cornfield)

If you win the NIT and 12 players leave, the new coach can sell a guaranteed NCAA Tournament spot to players in the portal so they would be near the top of the list for many good portal players. If a Missouri situation happens and they have to play in the First Four, oh well. There's been plenty of worse teams, talent wise, than this Missouri team. Plenty of under .500 teams from crap conference have made it.
That's nuts. You can't give NCAA tourney bids based on the accomplishments of another team that couldn't even get in the NCAA tourney. That's insane.

The NIT sponsored by the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia. 16 the teams play live from The Line in Neom. Winning team gets $10,000,000.

That's nuts. You can't give NCAA tourney bids based on the accomplishments of another team that couldn't even get in the NCAA tourney. That's insane.

UEFA does it. Its not some far-fetched unprecedented idea. That's the richest sports organization in the world.

UEFA does it. Its not some far-fetched unprecedented idea. That's the richest sports organization in the world.
There's more consistency to pro team's rosters, these days a college basketball team could be gutted by the portal in a week and a team that went 23-14 and won the NIT could end up 9-22 next year.

There's more consistency to pro team's rosters, these days a college basketball team could be gutted by the portal in a week and a team that went 23-14 and won the NIT could end up 9-22 next year.

Yea but so what. If you want people to play in the NIT and want people to watch it, then do something. What they'll probably do is scrap the NIT and expand the NCAAT

It’s an asinine idea and will never happen, but that doesn’t mean I don’t like it. I kinda love it actually.

I'd go with making it just games of flag basketball...

btw, who are you kicking out of this year's field to prop up the NIT and make room for North Texas?

Last edited:
Yea but so what. If you want people to play in the NIT and want people to watch it, then do something. What they'll probably do is scrap the NIT and expand the NCAAT
Why is the NIT still even a thing? Is the NCAA keeping it around so they don't get hit with some sort of anti-trust suit? I get that ESPN wants live programming on the Tuesdays and Wednesdays during the real tourney, why not schedule some high profile college baseball and softball games, yeah it's "basketball" season but I'd flip on a game between two ranked ball and bat teams over a useless basketball game.

Why is the NIT still even a thing? Is the NCAA keeping it around so they don't get hit with some sort of anti-trust suit? I get that ESPN wants live programming on the Tuesdays and Wednesdays during the real tourney, why not schedule some high profile college baseball and softball games, yeah it's "basketball" season but I'd flip on a game between two ranked ball and bat teams over a useless basketball game.

The same reason that bowl games are a thing. Cheap programming. You think people are going to watch a Mississippi vs Alabama softball game on ESPN2?

Reactions: Pitt79
I personally think Pitt should have played in the NIT and accepted the invitation. I understand why they didn’t but I just don’t think this Pitt team is established enough or has won enough the last several years to just turn down a tournament invitation even if it’s just the NIT. Again I understood why they did it and I get it but I don’t agree with it. Pitt better figure out a way next season to strengthen that Non conference schedule and just win more games in general so something similar to this absolute disaster that happened over the weekend with Pitt doesn’t happen to them again.

If you give the NIT champ an auto bid for next years NCAA tournament shouldn’t the team that actually wins the NCAA tourney get an auto bid for the following season as well?

If you give the NIT champ an auto bid for next years NCAA tournament shouldn’t the team that actually wins the NCAA tourney get an auto bid for the following season as well?

Sure. Europe does that. I am good with anything those cats do because those guys do sports right. FK will tell you.

So of course you, Mr complain about everything would not say a word if Pitt was first out because of your idiotic idea.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT