ADVERTISEMENT

2 in 1: How to build a combined football/basketball stadium

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
With the on-campus stadium talk once again making the rounds, I figured I would put my idea out there. I really do think the only way to bring football back on campus is to get rid of the Pete and build a new facility on that land. This is the best idea for three reasons:

1. You are not changing the campus footprint at all

2. Pitt already owns the land

3. You would not need to tear down any existing infrastructure, with the exception of Panther Hall. A solution to adding it back can be found here (see #7)
The remaining challenges would be parking/congestion in Oakland and cost-effectiveness. The first part is simple: Build a parking garage on the OC Lot front of Cost (see #3 here), work with Carlow to build a garage on the current Carlow Lot C, and expand the OC Garage (see #2 here). To reduce congestion, Pitt could run a shuttle service into Oakland. The proposed Oakland Transit Connector and potential “Spine Line” would help as well. The rest of the solution can be found here. Credit goes to James Santelli. It clearly shows that the necessary parking is already there.

The only challenge left is if it’s worth the money. My idea is this: Construct a multi-purpose indoor stadium that would be home to Pitt football and basketball. The facility would include a student fitness area and student-athlete service center, practice and storage rooms for the Band, offices space, and classrooms for a potential new major at Pitt such as Sports Management. This means that the facility could host a wide range of events, such as ACC/NCAA tournament games, concerts, graduations, and more.

At this point, you’re probably imagining something similar to Syracuse: a stadium that is “converted” into a basketball arena by placing the court in an endzone and closing off the rest, which creates little atmosphere. This is completely different. It would be only the second stadium in the world to truly transform itself into an arena by having a moving seating section that can shrink it from 47,500 to around 20,000. The technology is already there. Built for $195m in 2000, the Saitama Super Arena in Japan has the ability to shrink its playing surface of 36,500 into a 19-22,000 seat arena. For comparison, the Pete was built for $119m. Here’s how it works:

img-moving_block.jpg

For more details, click here. When it's in arena mode, there is enough room for the other side to be used as a practice field. What’s also cool is that the arena seating would be flexible. It could expand or shrink based on the type of event. And to replace the lost practice courts, you can convert the Cost into a basketball practice facility. Additionally, a center-hung jumbotron would be on a track that would allow it to glide and rotate to the end of the stadium that’s in arena mode.

If we are going to spend hundreds of millions on an on-campus stadium, it must be something that will benefit all students and be used every day of the year. Something that would serve athletics, arts, and education equally. It would benefit the entire University that the project would cost less than if you were to to buy property, tear down and replace buildings, build a stadium, etc. Pitt would have another landmark that’s marveled by the entire world. I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts on this. Hail to Pitt!

Last edited:
It something that Texas or Ohio St would do. Pitt can't even build a track anywhere.
Unfortunately that's probably true. But sooner than later, we will need to make a decision on continuing to play in Heinz Field or not. If they decide the latter, it will need to be something that benefits the entire University, and I believe this could do that.

With the on-campus stadium talk once again making the rounds, I figured I would put my idea out there. I really do think the only way to bring football back on campus is to get rid of the Pete and build a new facility on that land. This is the best idea for three reasons:

3. You would not need to tear down any existing infrastructure, with the exception of Panther Hall. A solution to adding it back can be found here (see #7)
The remaining challenges would be parking/congestion in Oakland and cost-effectiveness. The first part is simple: Build a parking garage on the OC Lot front of Cost (see #3 here), work with Carlow to build a garage on the current Carlow Lot C, and expand the OC Garage (see #2 here). To reduce congestion, Pitt could run a shuttle service into Oakland. The proposed Oakland Transit Connector and potential “Spine Line” would help as well. The rest of the solution can be found here. Credit goes to James Santelli. It clearly shows that the necessary parking is already there.

The only challenge left is if it’s worth the money. My idea is this: Construct a multi-purpose indoor stadium that would be home to Pitt football and basketball. The facility would include a retractable roof, student fitness area and student-athlete service center, practice and storage rooms for the Band, offices space, and classrooms for a potential new major at Pitt such as Sports Management. This means that the facility could host a wide range of events, such as ACC/NCAA tournament games, concerts, graduations, and more.

At this point, you’re probably imagining something similar to Syracuse: a stadium that is “converted” into a basketball arena by placing the court in an endzone and closing off the rest, which creates little atmosphere. This is completely different. It would be only the second stadium in the world to truly transform itself into an arena by having a moving seating section that can shrink it from 47,500 to around 20,000. The technology is already there. Built for $195m in 2000, the Saitama Super Arena in Japan has the ability to shrink its playing surface of 36,500 into a 19-22,000 seat arena. For comparison, the Pete was built for $119m. Here’s how it works:

img-moving_block.jpg

For more details, click here. When it's in arena mode, there is enough room for the other side to be used as a practice field. What’s also cool is that the arena seating would be flexible. It could expand or shrink based on the type of event. And to replace the lost practice courts, you can convert the Cost into a basketball practice facility. Additionally, a center-hung jumbotron would be on a track that would allow it to glide and rotate to the end of the stadium that’s in arena mode.

If we are going to spend hundreds of millions on an on-campus stadium, it must be something that will benefit all students and be used every day of the year. Something that would serve athletics, arts, and education equally. It would benefit the entire University that the project would cost less than if you were to to buy property, tear down and replace buildings, build a stadium, etc. Pitt would have another landmark that’s marveled by the entire world. I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts on this. Hail to Pitt!
If they are bent on having football played in Oakland, then a multipurpose facility is the way to go.

If they are bent on having football played in Oakland, then a multipurpose facility is the way to go.
Agreed. We can't solve a problem by creating another one, and you're looking at limited options at building a new basketball arena. It will need to be something that can house both.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Which part hangs out over the street? I can't tell by those drawings.
The overhanging roof does not actually reach the street in real life. Now if implemented in Oakland it probably would so it'd be in the direction of the VA simply because the shape of the real arena would fit in the land plot more naturally if that side faced that direction. I'm no architect or try to make it look like I'm educated in this kind of stuff, but this is just my most accurate guesstimate.

The overhanging roof does not actually reach the street in real life. Now if implemented in Oakland it probably would so it'd be in the direction of the VA simply because the shape of the real arena would fit in the land plot more naturally if that side faced that direction. I'm no architect or try to make it look like I'm educated in this kind of stuff, but this is just my most accurate guesstimate.

You should hook up with Zeta. He has that all figured out.

Nearly $200 million for under 40,000 in 2000? That cost would be astronomical today.
I believe it came out to $276m when adjusted for inflation. With the other services the facility would provide, it'd most likely be over $300m if built today. However, this is less than TCF Bank Stadium, which has similar amenities to this concept ($336m adjusted to inflation). Also, remember that this stadium would serve a variety of purposes and would still cost less than the other mock ups.

Reactions: Pitt0912
I believe it came out to $276m when adjusted for inflation. With the other services the facility would provide, it'd most likely be over $300m if built today. However, this is less than TCF Bank Stadium, which has similar amenities to this concept ($336m adjusted to inflation). Also, remember that this stadium would serve a variety of purposes and would still cost less than the other mock ups.

Maybe I'm out of touch on costs, but Notre Dame's stadium renovations will cost $400 million. This "plan" includes an indoor structure with moving bleachers and the demolition of a massive arena. If Pitt did build a $336 multipurpose indoor facility, it'd probably be the most bare-bone Power 5 stadium. You're talking about going from NFL-style amenities to those of a nice HS stadium with so little spent.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Maybe I'm out of touch on costs, but Notre Dame's stadium renovations will cost $400 million. This "plan" includes an indoor structure with moving bleachers and the demolition of a massive arena. If Pitt did build a $336 multipurpose indoor facility, it'd probably be the most bare-bone Power 5 stadium. You're talking about going from NFL-style amenities to those of a nice HS stadium with so little spent.
That's a good point. You know, I don't even know if Pitt needs to come back to Oakland. Heinz Field has worked and can work. I just think that if you ever bring football back on campus, it'd have to 1) pass the three challenges at the top and 2) benefit the entire university. I thought this idea satisfied both and was somewhat innovative.

Reactions: TIGER-PAUL
That's a good point. You know, I don't even know if Pitt needs to come back to Oakland. Heinz Field has worked and can work. I just think that if you ever bring football back on campus, it'd have to 1) pass the three challenges at the top and 2) benefit the entire university. I thought this idea satisfied both and was somewhat innovative.

It absolutely does all of those things and I'd argue to go even further and house dorms on a side as well to truly make it a living and functioning building. But to achieve something so complex and to not downgrade on the current facilities, I think you're looking at a price tag $500-$750 million.

It absolutely does all of those things and I'd argue to go even further and house dorms on a side as well to truly make it a living and functioning building. But to achieve something so complex and to not downgrade on the current facilities, I think you're looking at a price tag $500-$750 million.
I don't know if it'd get up to $750m, but it probably would get higher than the Saitama Super Arena since you're adding all the amenities I mentioned. Remember, the arena built in real life had some nice suites and some of "the works" as well. It would be cool to see dorms implemented into an athletic facility. I don't know of any other stadiums have that. Still, I think it'd cost less than having to deal with all the other things I mentioned in my OP.

PITT's facilities management had a series of detailed options for a multi-use sports facility on the grounds of PITT stadium in the 90's. It was a very viable option except for some traffic concerns expressed by the VA.

The idea was scrapped when the pirates were threatening to leave and the Rooney's followed with their own threats if they also did not get their own stadium. As part of the Steeler deal with the state, PITT agreed to move to the north side for their football games in exchange for a shared practice facility and a new convocation center.

Reactions: TJPanther13
PITT's facilities management had a series of detailed options for a multi-use sports facility on the grounds of PITT stadium in the 90's. It was a very viable option except for some traffic concerns expressed by the VA.

The idea was scrapped when the pirates were threatening to leave and the Rooney's followed with their own threats if they also did not get their own stadium. As part of the Steeler deal with the state, PITT agreed to move to the north side for their football games in exchange for a shared practice facility and a new convocation center.
Yep, instead they took the easy way out while only looking at the short-term. This facility would address the long-term needs of the University while benefiting so many groups

The only challenge left is if it’s worth the money. My idea is this: Construct a multi-purpose indoor stadium that would be home to Pitt football and basketball. The facility would include a student fitness area and student-athlete service center, practice and storage rooms for the Band, offices space, and classrooms for a potential new major at Pitt such as Sports Management. This means that the facility could host a wide range of events, such as ACC/NCAA tournament games, concerts, graduations, and more.

img-moving_block.jpg

I brought this up a

img-moving_block.jpg

I brought this same plan up months ago, would be a great idea. Basketball temporarily at PPG arena tear down Pete use same land for new stadium. All we need now is the building permit

I brought this up a

I brought this same plan up months ago, would be a great idea. Basketball temporarily at PPG arena tear down Pete use same land for new stadium. All we need now is the building permit
I think I remember that. I did that thread as well and proposed that they put it in South Oakland, but it had so many flaws, beginning with buying all of South Oakland. I agree with you in that this is the most practical and beneficial concept.

I'm as much for a football stadium in Oakland as anyone, but tearing down the Pete is plain ridiculous. Especially when you've already the land purchased and prepped at the Peterson sports complex site. You move baseball and softball behind Cost. There's virtually no impact otherwise.

Someone write the $300m check earmarked for a stadium and watch where it goes. Site selection would take 5 minutes.

I'm as much for a football stadium in Oakland as anyone, but tearing down the Pete is plain ridiculous. Especially when you've already the land purchased and prepped at the Peterson sports complex site. You move baseball and softball behind Cost. There's virtually no impact otherwise.

Someone write the $300m check earmarked for a stadium and watch where it goes. Site selection would take 5 minutes.
That's actually a really good idea. Wouldn't you have to tear down Trees and re-route Robinson?

Trees would be fine. Depends on what they do with respect to Robinson. At a minimum it would be closed between Towerview and over towards Allequippa st on gamedays.
For some reason this is the first I've heard of this plan, or that I recall of it. This is the winner; by far the most practical solution. It's a lot easier to replace baseball and softball fields than a basketball arena.

Blows my idea away lol.

But @Gunga_Galunga do you think a P5 stadium could actually fit there just by tearing down the Pete Sports Complex? Could be pretty tight and you have the steep slope with houses on the other side.

Football inside is lame. It would have to have a restractable roof. Then how much $ are we talking

Half a bil$ is the starting point ; you're spot on.

Give the OP some credit this is an interesting concept...but playing FB indoors is a turnoff.....and today, in Oakland Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania the price tag might run out of zeros.

This.

Tear down Trees, Cost, and the athletic fields and re-route Robinson Street a bit. I could probably shift the stadium further down and to the left which would open up some more space for dorms or other facilities on the Robinson St side. Plenty of room though (this is to scale).

newstadium_zpszg4igtrh.png

Tear down Trees, Cost, and the athletic fields and re-route Robinson Street a bit. I could probably shift the stadium further down and to the left which would open up some more space for dorms or other facilities on the Robinson St side. Plenty of room though (this is to scale).

probably want to do away with that Minnesota seat design also...

Reactions: Jpripper88
But @Gunga_Galunga do you think a P5 stadium could actually fit there just by tearing down the Pete Sports Complex? Could be pretty tight and you have the steep slope with houses on the other side.
From what I've looked at I think you could fit one. Something like Stanford Stadium seems like the footprint would fit. There are many ways to build a stadium though and you have to get a bit creative anywhere in Oakland.

Pitt already owns many of the parcels on the north end of the Pete sports complex including several on the south side of Brackenridge street. I assume they'll continue to buy these up when they can.

Could have been the plan 20 years ago, but too late now with the new fields up there. I'm guessing the sloping of the land up there would also be an issue.

From what I've looked at I think you could fit one. Something like Stanford Stadium seems like the footprint would fit. There are many ways to build a stadium though and you have to get a bit creative anywhere in Oakland.

Pitt already owns many of the parcels on the north end of the Pete sports complex including several on the south side of Brackenridge street. I assume they'll continue to buy these up when they can.
I was looking into this last night and was easily able to fit a stadium in there using Tulane's Yullman Stadium. I like their stadium because they also had to fit it into a tight space and everything is intimate and up close. We could use their design, put an upper deck around the rest of the stadium and a nice size press/suite box on one of the sides and you got yourself a 45,000+ seat stadium with room to spare.

I was even able to fit it in without having to knock down the softball field. Use the unused between the Sports Complex and Trees to add some steps/nice entrance into the stadium and it'd be a very nice setup. Again, can't believe that I'm just now hearing about this idea. Best one yet. Get off your hands, Heather!

Has anyone thought about Pitt strong arming the Rooneys into redoing the seat colors and making seats sectioned to be removed and sort of have the stadium re molded into a 55,000 capacity stadium which we need (not 80,000). Pitt needs to muscle the Steelers here and perhaps threaten litigation or the building of another stadium to perhaps get more cooperation from them. We can likely work the stadium out with Heniz to meet the Pitt community needs but not if we don't start demanding changes from the Steelers and NFL. This is our best option.

Has anyone thought about Pitt strong arming the Rooneys into redoing the seat colors and making seats sectioned to be removed and sort of have the stadium re molded into a 55,000 capacity stadium which we need (not 80,000). Pitt needs to muscle the Steelers here and perhaps threaten litigation or the building of another stadium to perhaps get more cooperation from them. We can likely work the stadium out with Heniz to meet the Pitt community needs but not if we don't start demanding changes from the Steelers and NFL. This is our best option.
Sorry, but that'd never happen. We'd be attempting to strong-arm the SEA. Them and the Rooney's can't even agree on something such as a scoreboard or WiFi, just imagine how they'd react to us attempting to downsize an NFL (would be the smallest in the NFL once the Raiders move to Vegas) and changing Heinz to better accommodate a 3rd tier college football team. Over the six-time Super Bowl champions. We'd be kicked out and the Steelers would be packing their bags to Cranberry before that happens.

I agree that tearing down the Pete and building the stadium there is the most sensible plan. However, I am not in favor of a "Carrier Dome" for many reasons.

Eventually, Pitt should build a smaller basketball arena somewhere else (maybe Syria Mosque land) and build the football stadium on the Pete land. Realistically though, this is at best 20 years away, and probably 40-50.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT