ADVERTISEMENT

2 in 1: How to build a combined football/basketball stadium

Has anyone thought about Pitt strong arming the Rooneys into redoing the seat colors and making seats sectioned to be removed and sort of have the stadium re molded into a 55,000 capacity stadium which we need (not 80,000). Pitt needs to muscle the Steelers here and perhaps threaten litigation or the building of another stadium to perhaps get more cooperation from them. We can likely work the stadium out with Heniz to meet the Pitt community needs but not if we don't start demanding changes from the Steelers and NFL. This is our best option.

Oh good god.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
If they are bent on having football played in Oakland, then a multipurpose facility is the way to go.
Multi-purpose stadium typically aren't great for anything. Three Rivers was a poor venue to watch baseball, and a mediocre one for football. And when you try football/basketball, it will typically be too cavernous for basketball, and too small for football, and of course, be indoors, which sucks.

Multi-purpose stadium typically aren't great for anything. Three Rivers was a poor venue to watch baseball, and a mediocre one for football. And when you try football/basketball, it will typically be too cavernous for basketball, and too small for football, and of course, be indoors, which sucks.

The only sporting event I ever watched at Three Rivers that fit the venue was the one and only Supercross race held there.

I was in jr high at the time, but I do remember the race very well. Bob (Hurricane) Hannah won.

img-moving_block.jpg

Or we could just connect the New Pitt Stadium on the OC Lot to the existing Petersen Center. Actually, the Pete is laid out to just exactly that. ;)

Great Post.

Reactions: Pitt0912
in hindsight, it would have been the way to go in the mid 90's. we all know space is at a premium in Oakland and this would have been a nice solution for an on campus stadium. Yeah, ambience indoors leaves a lot to be desired but our beloved school is in Oakland and we cant have our cake and eat it too.

A multi purpose venue holding hoops/football and im sure some other features would have been a decent solution.

Reactions: TIGER-PAUL
If Pitt was miraculously given 100 acres of flat buildable land.....

The administration would build everything BUT a football stadium.
They dont want to own a football stadium which would lock PITT in to running a football program.
Without owning a stadium, there's no ongoing fixed, maintenance, or refurbishment costs, and if they decide to dump football all they have to do is throw away the helmuts, uni's, and the smelly ROC suits.
Simple but thats the reason the OC stadium was destroyed and not retained and refurbished.

Last edited:
Yep. They will need to replace the sun faded bleacher seats with new bright yellow benches.

Oh wait... do some of you think that new seats will be anything other than Steelers colors?

Pitt will be wearing that gold soon enough.

we'd sell it to Marriott and build some more hotels in Oakland..
Since you bring it up, I have a question regarding the new Marriott in Oakland. Is that going to be located on the old Mosque site or the parking lot behind the PAA? I could've swore we owned that site and if it's the latter, that seems like it'd be a tight fit. Thanks, it's hard for an out-of-towner to keep up with that kind of stuff.

Heinz seats are coming due to be replaced. CIncy has started theirs.
They'll probably make them Red seats since yellow was so unpopular. That will fix the problem?
Black or grey seats would be perfect but they'll probably be gold.

We were at dinner with two of Mrs Buffett's friends who own a interior decorating business together and one of them said two tone seats maybe black and grey or black and gold with the two tone patterns alternating in different directions seat by seat would disguise the its empty look!?
They're both Steeler fans and hate the yellow.

Last edited:
Since you bring it up, I have a question regarding the new Marriott in Oakland. Is that going to be located on the old Mosque site or the parking lot behind the PAA? I could've swore we owned that site and if it's the latter, that seems like it'd be a tight fit. Thanks, it's hard for an out-of-towner to keep up with that kind of stuff.

I believe it will go on the PAA's personal parking lot, which is different then the land Pitt owns.

Well the only thing that I can agree with you is that the basketball program would fit right in. It is creating no atmosphere

The only thing we can do is wait for someone to create a Time Machine and then go back and pummel Steve P before any of this happens.

With the on-campus stadium talk once again making the rounds, I figured I would put my idea out there. I really do think the only way to bring football back on campus is to get rid of the Pete and build a new facility on that land. This is the best idea for three reasons:

1. You are not changing the campus footprint at all

2. Pitt already owns the land

3. You would not need to tear down any existing infrastructure, with the exception of Panther Hall. A solution to adding it back can be found here (see #7)
The remaining challenges would be parking/congestion in Oakland and cost-effectiveness. The first part is simple: Build a parking garage on the OC Lot front of Cost (see #3 here), work with Carlow to build a garage on the current Carlow Lot C, and expand the OC Garage (see #2 here). To reduce congestion, Pitt could run a shuttle service into Oakland. The proposed Oakland Transit Connector and potential “Spine Line” would help as well. The rest of the solution can be found here. Credit goes to James Santelli. It clearly shows that the necessary parking is already there.

The only challenge left is if it’s worth the money. My idea is this: Construct a multi-purpose indoor stadium that would be home to Pitt football and basketball. The facility would include a student fitness area and student-athlete service center, practice and storage rooms for the Band, offices space, and classrooms for a potential new major at Pitt such as Sports Management. This means that the facility could host a wide range of events, such as ACC/NCAA tournament games, concerts, graduations, and more.

At this point, you’re probably imagining something similar to Syracuse: a stadium that is “converted” into a basketball arena by placing the court in an endzone and closing off the rest, which creates little atmosphere. This is completely different. It would be only the second stadium in the world to truly transform itself into an arena by having a moving seating section that can shrink it from 47,500 to around 20,000. The technology is already there. Built for $195m in 2000, the Saitama Super Arena in Japan has the ability to shrink its playing surface of 36,500 into a 19-22,000 seat arena. For comparison, the Pete was built for $119m. Here’s how it works:

img-moving_block.jpg

For more details, click here. When it's in arena mode, there is enough room for the other side to be used as a practice field. What’s also cool is that the arena seating would be flexible. It could expand or shrink based on the type of event. And to replace the lost practice courts, you can convert the Cost into a basketball practice facility. Additionally, a center-hung jumbotron would be on a track that would allow it to glide and rotate to the end of the stadium that’s in arena mode.

If we are going to spend hundreds of millions on an on-campus stadium, it must be something that will benefit all students and be used every day of the year. Something that would serve athletics, arts, and education equally. It would benefit the entire University that the project would cost less than if you were to to buy property, tear down and replace buildings, build a stadium, etc. Pitt would have another landmark that’s marveled by the entire world. I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts on this. Hail to Pitt!

Cliffs please! Did you just waste 15-20 min of your life or did I miss something about on campus stadium momentum?

I have an idea! Why can't Pitt build an on campus stadium that hovers over Oakland like a space ship? It literally could 100 feet above the Pete. There could be an escalator going down to the Pete!!! Thoughts?

Cliffs please! Did you just waste 15-20 min of your life or did I miss something about on campus stadium momentum?
No, I did not waste any of my time. This will definitely never happen, but I enjoy thinking up all these concepts and scenarios. It does have flaws, like all of them, but I thought it was something different (unique?) and would benefit our University.

I have an idea! Why can't Pitt build an on campus stadium that hovers over Oakland like a space ship? It literally could 100 feet above the Pete. There could be an escalator going down to the Pete!!! Thoughts?

Sorry. Not enough sky real estate available in Oakland. And if there were, Pitt has other priorities, like the sky track.

Too many hospital helicopters in the area for a floating stadium. Come on man...

City of Pittsburgh has marked all air in Oakland as a national registered landmark. cant build anything on it..

With the on-campus stadium talk once again making the rounds, I figured I would put my idea out there. I really do think the only way to bring football back on campus is to get rid of the Pete and build a new facility on that land. This is the best idea for three reasons:

1. You are not changing the campus footprint at all

2. Pitt already owns the land

3. You would not need to tear down any existing infrastructure, with the exception of Panther Hall. A solution to adding it back can be found here (see #7)
The remaining challenges would be parking/congestion in Oakland and cost-effectiveness. The first part is simple: Build a parking garage on the OC Lot front of Cost (see #3 here), work with Carlow to build a garage on the current Carlow Lot C, and expand the OC Garage (see #2 here). To reduce congestion, Pitt could run a shuttle service into Oakland. The proposed Oakland Transit Connector and potential “Spine Line” would help as well. The rest of the solution can be found here. Credit goes to James Santelli. It clearly shows that the necessary parking is already there.

The only challenge left is if it’s worth the money. My idea is this: Construct a multi-purpose indoor stadium that would be home to Pitt football and basketball. The facility would include a student fitness area and student-athlete service center, practice and storage rooms for the Band, offices space, and classrooms for a potential new major at Pitt such as Sports Management. This means that the facility could host a wide range of events, such as ACC/NCAA tournament games, concerts, graduations, and more.

At this point, you’re probably imagining something similar to Syracuse: a stadium that is “converted” into a basketball arena by placing the court in an endzone and closing off the rest, which creates little atmosphere. This is completely different. It would be only the second stadium in the world to truly transform itself into an arena by having a moving seating section that can shrink it from 47,500 to around 20,000. The technology is already there. Built for $195m in 2000, the Saitama Super Arena in Japan has the ability to shrink its playing surface of 36,500 into a 19-22,000 seat arena. For comparison, the Pete was built for $119m. Here’s how it works:

img-moving_block.jpg

For more details, click here. When it's in arena mode, there is enough room for the other side to be used as a practice field. What’s also cool is that the arena seating would be flexible. It could expand or shrink based on the type of event. And to replace the lost practice courts, you can convert the Cost into a basketball practice facility. Additionally, a center-hung jumbotron would be on a track that would allow it to glide and rotate to the end of the stadium that’s in arena mode.

If we are going to spend hundreds of millions on an on-campus stadium, it must be something that will benefit all students and be used every day of the year. Something that would serve athletics, arts, and education equally. It would benefit the entire University that the project would cost less than if you were to to buy property, tear down and replace buildings, build a stadium, etc. Pitt would have another landmark that’s marveled by the entire world. I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts on this. Hail to Pitt!

I love the idea in theory. Just not sure how realistic it would be for Pitt to actually move forward with a project like this. I've often thought this might be the only way to get an on campus stadium but I've never done the research to see how plausible it might be. Thanks for all the info.

I love the idea in theory. Just not sure how realistic it would be for Pitt to actually move forward with a project like this. I've often thought this might be the only way to get an on campus stadium but I've never done the research to see how plausible it might be. Thanks for all the info.
No problem. I love coming up with stuff like this and hopefully one day we can bring football back to Oakland in a way that benefits our entire University.

Problem is, most of us on here want the on campus stadium so that we can watch the game in person. However, everyone else goes for the experience which includes tail-gating. No on campus stadium in Oakland is going to allow for a full game day experience. Not enough space no matter how you shake it. Just my opinion.

Problem is, most of us on here want the on campus stadium so that we can watch the game in person. However, everyone else goes for the experience which includes tail-gating. No on campus stadium in Oakland is going to allow for a full game day experience. Not enough space no matter how you shake it. Just my opinion.

Disagree.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT