ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Mock Draft

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
Looks like next year we will keep our 1st rd streak alive as I have seen two Mock Drafts already projecting Tyler Boyd at #15 and #17 in the first rd.

The bad thing about that is....if he is projected that high, he has no choice but to go early.

Also, a certain QB in the middle of the state is projected high in the top 10....so I would think he maybe gone also.

If those scenarios come true that levels the playing a bit..if nothing else tilts a smidge our direction .. Htp/Forever!!!

Originally posted by recruitsreadtheseboards:

Looks like next year we will keep our 1st rd streak alive as I have seen two Mock Drafts already projecting Tyler Boyd at #15 and #17 in the first rd.

The bad thing about that is....if he is projected that high, he has no choice but to go early.

Also, a certain QB in the middle of the state is projected high in the top 10....so I would think he maybe gone also.
Boyd turns 22 during his JR season. He leaves early, otherwise he's nearly 24 yrs old when he plays his first nfl game. He's as good as gone.

Boyd and Conner both need to go after next year, especially Conner; strike while the iron is hot. Though replacing Boyd will be much more difficult (I'm confident in our depth at RB to replace Conner's production by committee).

Many players are 24 coming out. The thing with him isn't age, but injury. Should his Junior year numbers increase or stay the same as his sophomore year, there's not much value added by playing an additional year. He's a knee sprain injury away from dropping a round or two. Happens frequently. Playing an additional season is playing Russian roulette with his career. Same with Conner.

Barring a serious injury, this is definitely Boyd's last season at Pitt. As for Hackenberg...if he plays like last season, his stock will fall.

Hackenberg's stock has already tumbled a whole lot. If he goes in the first round, it won't be because he didn't tumble in 2015, it will because he seriously elevated his performance and eliminated many of his obvious weaknesses in 2015 to rise significantly back into first round discussion.
He played behind a truly awful OL, but he also showed slow feet, slow decision-making, and worst of all, very inconsistent accuracy. He can make some really great throws, but will often miss a wide open receiver 10 yards down the field. He needs to fix all of that to be considered a first rounder.

Any player that has a draft grade to go in rounds one or two should go. The signing bonus at the age regardless of whether you actually ever sign a second contract sets you up pretty well if invested properly for the rest of their life. With more and more being studied around head injuries due to contact and shortening careers, it would be a disservice not to go early with a draft grade that high for themselves. Like with Greg Romeus who likely is a second round pick his junior year comes back and ends up missing chunks of the season with back and acl tear injuries which didnt allow him to participate in the combine and his stock dropped to the 226th pick.

Originally posted by raleighpanther:
Hackenberg's stock has already tumbled a whole lot. If he goes in the first round, it won't be because he didn't tumble in 2015, it will because he seriously elevated his performance and eliminated many of his obvious weaknesses in 2015 to rise significantly back into first round discussion.
He played behind a truly awful OL, but he also showed slow feet, slow decision-making, and worst of all, very inconsistent accuracy. He can make some really great throws, but will often miss a wide open receiver 10 yards down the field. He needs to fix all of that to be considered a first rounder.
Let me ask you this....................who said? Are you a scout? The fact that he is still being projected in Mock Drafts as a top 10 pick is indicative of not dropping that much. He has not played well for sure, but a lot of Pitt fans just hate any and everything PSU they couldn't accept that after his FR year, Hackenburg would have been the #1 draft pick regardless.

So......be objective. As fans, as much as we root for our teams and against our enemies, you still have to maintain objectivity.

Well, obviously UPSers will think he should stay in school.

Boyd should go barring any injuries this year, as someone mentioned his age, that is really old for someone that came right out of high school with no red shirt!

Conner is a different story altogether. Most RBs are not first rounders, there are 2 absolute studs in this years class, and no one is even mentioning them as top 10 picks. He may be 3rd round grade when he comes out after this year... but again, I think this one depends on how the season goes for him.

Just too early to project. Ive said time and time again though, if some engineering firm offered me a million dollars after my jr year... I woulda jumped in a heartbeat. The goal for college is to prepare yourself for life, whether monetarily or mentally. If someone is going to fulfill those dreams for you doing what you love, go do it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT