ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Pitt vs PSU Kickoff time

Noon

Pirates have a home night game.
200.gif

Anyone know how these times are determined?
For Pitt and MLB.
FYI it's OK not to answer this question if you don't know. No BS answers please.

Every P5 OOC home game (not counting ND which is Independent) in Heinz Field history except the 05 opener vs UVa has been at noon.

It is sickening that the Pirates determine our kick times.

Reactions: Delpanther
Why do the Pirates determine the kick time? I say play the PITT game at 4:00 and f the Pirates. Nutting doesn't care abput the fans anyway.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
Didn't the Pirates move a start time for the Stanley Cup Finals this year?

If Pitt and PS finish the year strong, and there is hype going into the matchup then a prime time 8pm slot would be a possibility and definitely worth making a push for. Otherwise, not a huge difference between 3:30 and Noon.

The Pirates can place requests to MLB to adjust start times, but their TV contracts and MLB have final control over the game times. Saturday September games add an additional wrinkle, as they can be locked for possible Fox Saturday night games alternatives until the season plays out to determine pennant races before they are released back to local TV coverage. I doubt the Buccos and Marlins will be in any pennant conversation, so that is one less roadblock.

So say Pitt and PSU are both ranked pre-season and ESPN wants this game played at night.
What is stopping that from happening besides the logistical nightmare of parking?

Reactions: therod
Because there are these things called contracts and people generally have to follow them.

What's the contract agreement between Pitt and the Pirates?

What's the agreement between Pitt, the Pirates and the Pittsburgh Parking Authority?

I understand there's one for the bucs and MLB, but how does that affect any deal for Pitt? Are there clauses in the ACC contract with ESPN for when the Pirates have night games?

I understand there is contacts, and The pirates get the parking lot right first, but this is almost a year from now. You are trying to tell me something can't be worked out about moving game times to accommodate this game?

I understand there is contacts, and The pirates get the parking lot right first, but this is almost a year from now. You are trying to tell me something can't be worked out about moving game times to accommodate this game?

Has anybody seen more than just random message board person posts to prove this?

It boggles my mind that the Pirates and MLB had knowledge of the Pitt-PSU game and parking conflict and no arrangements were made to have them on the road that weekend. They really are a bunch of idiots.

They do it on purpose. More sports fans mulling around northside means more potential ticket sales. Plus, as I stated above, the owner is a Hoopie and the President is a Nitter.

However, if you want the data here it is. The number of times there were Pitt and Pirate games on the same day that Pitt got "first dibs" on game times is zero. The number of times that the Pirates got "first dibs" is all of them.

Just one more reason why playing in the Steelers' stadium stinks.

It isn't going to change as long as Pitt is there, so bend over and take it.

Reactions: Swervin27
The person you're saying that to joined the board 3 weeks ago.
Maybe you could post this data for him?

He won't, because there is no data or contract clauses to post. The Pirates always set their game time first and Pitt goes along with it to avoid conflict because they're third fiddle on the north side. Maybe they'll grow a set and create a conflict. Let Alco figure it out and let the Pirates enjoy a Saturday crowd of 10k while a majority of their fans are at the Pitt / PSU game.

This also goes against all the "Pitt has no say in game time because TV sets the time." Well, guess what? Pitt will be telling TV they can't do anything but a nooner.

However, if you want the data here it is. The number of times there were Pitt and Pirate games on the same day that Pitt got "first dibs" on game times is zero. The number of times that the Pirates got "first dibs" is all of them.

hahahaha so that's your proof of contact. Seems solid....or seems 1 is run by a bunch of idiots and is scared to make waves.

Has anybody seen more than just random message board person posts to prove this?
Here are the lease agreement contracts for the Pirates and Steelers. (Pitt leases from the Steelers). The Pirates contract gives them exclusive acces to parking. (See page page 23). The Steelers contract gives them exclusives rights to parking with the exception of when Pirates have a game. (See page 25). Pitt can have the game at anytime they just won't have access to the parking lots.

http://www.pgh-sea.com/images/SteelersLeaseAgreement.pdf

Steelers Lease:

7.7.1 General Parking Space. The Authority shall ensure the availability for use in connection with all Events of at least 5,000 parking spaces in surface parking lots and/or parking garages within 3,000 feet of the Stadium whether owned or operated by the Authority or other Person(s) (the "General Parking Spaces"); provided, however, that the General Parking Spaces may also be coextensively available for other purposes during any Events; provided, further, however, the Authority agrees that on Event days (other than days on which Pittsburgh Pirates baseball games are played), all General Parking Spaces owned by the Authority and/or the Stadium Authority shall not be made available to the public until five (5) hours prior to such Event. The Authority acknowledges and agrees that the parking spaces in Allegheny Center shall not be included when counting the 5,000 General Parking Spaces (but the parking spaces in the General Robinson St. Garage will be included).

http://www.pgh-sea.com/images/PiratesLeaseAgreement.pdf

Pirates Lease:

5.12.1. General Parking. The Authority shall ensure the availability for use in connection with Events (i.e. available for use by the general public at least two (2) hours before the time of an Event) of at least 5,000 parking lot spaces within 3,000 feet of the Ballpark (which spaces will not include any on-street parking), located on the North Shore of the City, as depicted generally on Exhibit H, whether owned or operated by the Authority or other Person(s) (the "General Parking Spaces"); provided however, such spaces may be coextensively available for other purposes during Events; provided, further, however, the Authority agrees that as to spaces under control of the Authority or the Stadium Authority (i) on any day on which an Event is scheduled to begin prior to 5:00p.m., the General Parking Spaces will not be made available to the public until two (2) hours prior to the time when the Ballpark gates are scheduled to be opened to the public, and any person parking in the General Parking Spaces on such day will be required to pay the Event rate for such day and (ii) with respect to Event days involving an Event beginning after 5:00p.m., the Authority and the Stadium Authority will cooperate with the Team to create a mechanism to (x) ensure parking availability to the Team for all Events, and (y) cause any person who is attending an Event and parking in a General Parking Space to pay the Event parking rate for such day. -235.12.1. General Parking. The Authority shall ensure the availability for use in connection with Events (i.e. available for use by the general public at least two (2) hours before

Last edited:
Reactions: bwh05 and Swervin27
Every P5 OOC home game (not counting ND which is Independent) in Heinz Field history except the 05 opener vs UVa has been at noon.

It is sickening that the Pirates determine our kick times.

SMF, were there Pirate games on on all of them?

It boggles my mind that the Pirates and MLB had knowledge of the Pitt-PSU game and parking conflict and no arrangements were made to have them on the road that weekend. They really are a bunch of idiots.

Each mlb team can submit requests by Jan of the year. Mlb doesn't guarantee all requests. So there was plenty of time to request to be away. But did Pitt ask? Did Bucs request?

older article here-
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/print.jsp?ymd=20120123&content_id=26438868

Here are the lease agreement contracts for the Pirates and Steelers. (Pitt leases from the Steelers). The Pirates contract gives them exclusive acces to parking. (See page page 23). The Steelers contract gives them exclusives rights to parking with the exception of when Pirates have a game. (See page 25). Pitt can have the game at anytime they just won't have access to the parking lots.

Steelers Lease:

7.7.1 General Parking Space. The Authority shall ensure the availability for use in connection with all Events of at least 5,000 parking spaces in surface parking lots and/or parking garages within 3,000 feet of the Stadium whether owned or operated by the Authority or other Person(s) (the "General Parking Spaces"); provided, however, that the General Parking Spaces may also be coextensively available for other purposes during any Events; provided, further, however, the Authority agrees that on Event days (other than days on which Pittsburgh Pirates baseball games are played), all General Parking Spaces owned by the Authority and/or the Stadium Authority shall not be made available to the public until five (5) hours prior to such Event. The Authority acknowledges and agrees that the parking spaces in Allegheny Center shall not be included when counting the 5,000 General Parking Spaces (but the parking spaces in the General Robinson St. Garage will be included).

Pirates Lease:

5.12.1. General Parking. The Authority shall ensure the availability for use in connection with Events (i.e. available for use by the general public at least two (2) hours before the time of an Event) of at least 5,000 parking lot spaces within 3,000 feet of the Ballpark (which spaces will not include any on-street parking), located on the North Shore of the City, as depicted generally on Exhibit H, whether owned or operated by the Authority or other Person(s) (the "General Parking Spaces"); provided however, such spaces may be coextensively available for other purposes during Events; provided, further, however, the Authority agrees that as to spaces under control of the Authority or the Stadium Authority (i) on any day on which an Event is scheduled to begin prior to 5:00p.m., the General Parking Spaces will not be made available to the public until two (2) hours prior to the time when the Ballpark gates are scheduled to be opened to the public, and any person parking in the General Parking Spaces on such day will be required to pay the Event rate for such day and (ii) with respect to Event days involving an Event beginning after 5:00p.m., the Authority and the Stadium Authority will cooperate with the Team to create a mechanism to (x) ensure parking availability to the Team for all Events, and (y) cause any person who is attending an Event and parking in a General Parking Space to pay the Event parking rate for such day. -235.12.1. General Parking. The Authority shall ensure the availability for use in connection with Events (i.e. available for use by the general public at least two (2) hours before

Nice job Steve!

Steelers Lease:

Pirates Lease:

That's a nice find, but I don't think it says what you think it says. I believe the clause you highlighted is in reference to tailgating and lot availability 5 hours prior to kickoff. The lots won't be available 5 hours before kickoff when there is a Pirate game. There is no priority given to either team.

There were 5 possible conflicts, so in fairness the Pirates could not accommodate all of them. Does Pitt have all of their football dates for 2018 listed at this point? Pirates listed below.

9/1 - Away
9/8 - Home
9/15 - Away
9/22 - Home
9/29 - Away

The Pirates scheduled that date for a home game on purpose. They aren't stupid and they know they will get more carryover fans into PNC Park AFTER the Pitt/PSU game then they would beforehand when people are busy tailgating. The football game will be a sellout regardless, so in terms of cronyism that likely occurs in these types of scenarios, everyone who stands to make a buck is happy.

... except the Pitt fan... who gets screwed out of a prime time night game... again.

But... we get to play at a "great" facility. :rolleyes:

Reactions: therod
The Pirates don't need a Pitt-PSU game for an assist on Saturday night games. All Pirate Saturday games are night games because they have fireworks. Those games are always well attended and if the team is half decent, almost always a sell-out.

Pitt couldn't care less if there is a Pirate game on most Saturdays because few of our games are big enough to warrant an evening KO. The big Miami games are always after the baseball season is over. They have potential to become meaningful. Beyond that, almost all Pitt games should be nooners or 12:30 ACC telecast games. One game in 10 years that is worthy of being under the lights and Pitt-Pirates can't make it work. Stupid.

There were 5 possible conflicts, so in fairness the Pirates could not accommodate all of them. Does Pitt have all of their football dates for 2018 listed at this point? Pirates listed below.

9/1 - Away
9/8 - Home
9/15 - Away
9/22 - Home
9/29 - Away

September 1st at home vs. Albany - guaranteed 1:00 start
September 8th at home vs. Penn St.- guaranteed 12:00 start
September 15 since the Pirates are away- more than likely this will be Pitt's ACC Home Opener
September 22 since the Pirates are home- Pitt will play an ACC game away
September 29th---Pitt is already scheduled at Central Florida- so no conflict.

Pitt's other non-conference game is at Notre Dame October 13th. More than likely 3:30 on NBC.

I might be the minority but I am cool with noon starts. Have no issues with them at all.

Majority of NFL games are 1PM on Sundays and it is most popular sport in USA.

Why is noon such an issue.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT