ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Chester Makoi Is @ Pitt on an Unofficial today

Your opinion, not mine. Did you actually see him play a HS game? As a HS senior Zanna had little beyond athleticism and height going for him when I watched him play. He took several years to fully develop at Pitt.

Admittedly I have only Makoi's brief u-tube to go by so maybe I am over rating Makoi in my mind. But he does remind me physically of Zanna as a HS senior.
Zanna: https://247sports.com/Player/Talib-Zanna-59567/high-school-103651

Makoi: unranked, offer from Longwood.

And then there;s the fact that Zanna had a good frame in H.S., legit 6'10 and with some shoulders and a good frame. As a poster above mentioned, this guy's build makes Manute Bol look like Karl Malone.

Let's all be honest here--if Stallings was hosting this guy for a visit, there would be an uproar. This would be a very different thread.

We need bodies, but this guy doesn't have one. Hopefully Capel is just doing some due diligence to make sure this guy is as physically challenged as he appears to be.

Incidentally, those highlights against all those 5'11 small school white boys were hilarious. My favorite is the one where he closes out on that chubby little Zach Galifianakis-looking guard and partially blocks his shot with both hands and without leaving the ground. In addition to his physique, Chester appears to be vertically challenged as well.

Now the guard, that guy is a bit more intriguing.

Reactions: FireballZ
I'm hoping Capel is just doing a potential recruiting contact a solid by bringing this guy in for a visit. Very underwhelming prospect

Last edited:
More visits this weekend by other recruits too. Soo not sure what to make of these ones.

I'm hoping Capel is just doing a potential recruiting contact a solid by bringing this guy in for a visit. Very underwhelming prospect
These 2 underwhelming recruits from Alaska have a cousin, future 5 star JT Thor. keep that in mind.

When you're that long and athletic, your recruiting can easily blow up in a year. At face value, I'm not thrilled with the thought of going after 2 stars, but if you think you have a hidden gem, this is probably the year to take a chance. There's also something to be said for keeping the scholarship open, but I'm just going to trust Capel on this one.

I think that is a good point.

I am amazed that all these recruiting videos show only offense, when coaches really want to see how they play defense. Mareng Gatkuoth can be a good offensive player, and appears to have the speed to be a good defensive player. Can he be a Carl Krause dispensing magic on offense while playing tenacious defense if so at his lengthen he could be a wow. I did notice he has to work on his ability to sky, lack of leg strength but he is always insanely active in the film.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT