ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Pirates Season Thread

I think there’s definitely reason to be more optimistic about the season than we were before the pandemic. The Pirates have typically been a first-half team the past 10 or so years, which could benefit them in a 60-game season. For example, they finished 82-79 in 2018 and 69-93 last season. However, their splits through 60 games looked like this:

2018: 30-30
2019: 29-31

Those records might be enough to clinch an eighth seed in an expanded playoff field. Also helps that they play one of the weaker schedules (NL/AL Central divisions) and a few notable players from those teams (STL’s Hicks, CWS’s Kopech) have opted out. If Bell gets hot, anything can happen.

The playoffs aren’t expanded this year unfortunately. The players rejected it.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
The playoffs aren’t expanded this year unfortunately. The players rejected it.
The traditionalist in me says good! The Pirates fan in me says ugh... :D Wasn’t expecting much out of this season in March anyways. Hopefully, like someone mentioned, it’s less about wins/losses and more about finding a nucleus for our next postseason team.

Hmm. Wonder why they they’re considering Pittsburgh and not, say, Cleveland or Detroit.
Well.....it really doesnt matter without fans and without being able to fly into Toronto without a 14 day quarentine. But Pittsburgh is closer to Toronto than Cleveland, though Toronto is closer to Detroit.

Well.....it really doesnt matter without fans and without being able to fly into Toronto without a 14 day quarentine. But Pittsburgh is closer to Toronto than Cleveland, though Toronto is closer to Detroit.
I did some researching and it turns out that the Pirates have very few scheduling conflicts with the Blue Jays, specifically one or so until September. Perhaps that’d be enough time to get their AAA stadium in Buffalo equipped with “major league” lighting? If not, should be able to work for the duration of the season, which is maybe why it’s a better option than the other two.

But just think about this: the Blue Jays will be playing home games in Pittsburgh and the Penguins will be playing home games in Toronto. That’s 2020 for ya... :rolleyes:

Reactions: jctrack
Hey, now here's an interesting tidbit. With the Blue Jays not being allowed to play their home games in Toronto they are looking for a place to play. Buffalo, their AAA city, apparently has a lighting system that is not up to major league standings (more for television than for game play). They are wary of playing at Dunedin, their spring training site, because, well, Florida is swimming in covid cases. So they are looking at playing at least some of their games this season at, you guessed it, PNC Park.

Does Musco (I think that's the name of the company) still rent those portable lighting systems? I remember that was the setup they had at Pitt Stadium before they installed permanent lighting.

I am on the under (25.5 games). I hear all these arguments for why they might be decent - and who knows, maybe they'll surprise - but I don't see it. I think in a shortened season the talent deficiency will be a bigger factor as each team will be trying hard every game. Also, based upon last season's standings, Pirates have one of the tougher schedules. Now Kela and Polanco to miss the start of the season. Add in, if some players perform well, they might well be traded. I think the greater risk is they don't play all 60 games and the bet is cancelled.

I did some researching and it turns out that the Pirates have very few scheduling conflicts with the Blue Jays, specifically one or so until September. Perhaps that’d be enough time to get their AAA stadium in Buffalo equipped with “major league” lighting? If not, should be able to work for the duration of the season, which is maybe why it’s a better option than the other two.

But just think about this: the Blue Jays will be playing home games in Pittsburgh and the Penguins will be playing home games in Toronto. That’s 2020 for ya... :rolleyes:
I think Toronto got the better of that trade...can’t we get a sport to be named later thrown in

Buffalo's lights issue is they aren't bright enough to help TV. It's more than adequate to play a game

I agree that it doesn't make much difference, but another thing would be that Pittsburgh is a little closer to most of the other cities the Blue Jays will be playing in than Cleveland, and closer by an even larger amount than Detroit.

But that's all just tinkering around the edges. I think the bigger factor is probably that the Pirates' GM came from Toronto, so there was a natural line of communication there. So you have a couple choices that would work logistically, and they are talking to the people that they already knew.

Reactions: jctrack
Their schedules line up to where the Pirates are on the road when the Jays have home games, no idea if that was on purpose or a coincidence.
Yeah I saw that upon further review, what’re the odds, huh?

Too bad the Pirates and Blue Jays aren’t supposed to be any good because a World Series between the two would be sweet. The entire series would be in Pittsburgh!

Why? They are both in the East.
Pirates are further east than Atlanta and is much closer to the majority of NL East teams then Atlanta. Not to mention ATL is as duke west as Cincinnati.

That, and I miss the NL East. The Central still doesn’t feel right and the Braves are the most logical team to switch! :p

Reactions: PittPanthers90
Its ashame, doesn't feel like opening day and the hype etc. I'm a baseball fan and appreciate your posts. Go Bucs regardless of the owner.
I think they’ll either be really good or really bad. All depends on how they start IMO. If they luck a few out in the first quarter of the season and someone like Bell gets hot, I think they can contend for an eighth seed. If not, and with their lack of depth, I could quickly see it snowballing to a ~20 win finish.

Wouldn’t mind either, just hope they’re not stuck in neutral again.

Reactions: pierre93
Pirates drop game one of the season 5-4.

Was trying to follow it on my phone since we don’t get the game out here, but a few takeaways

- Would much rather have Tucker in the lineup instead of Dyson or Heredia. Doesn’t even matter that he isn’t an outfielder (though he looked like a natural a few days ago), but would be nice to see him get some ABs
- Not sure why you don’t bring in Nick Burdi (who I think is our best reliever) instead of Rodríguez. Comes back to hurt as he gave up two runs
- I hate to admit this because I still hold his father against him, but Jacob Stallings looks like he’s coming around to be a solid catcher. Had a nice 2 RBI single tonight and made some nice plays behind the plate. I think I’ll be fine with him serving as the stopgap until they can get a catcher in the pipeline or they sign someone else down the line

Am I the only one that didn’t care for the new black uniforms? Didn’t care for the all gold letters/numbers and outlines, way too many inconsistencies for me; Pirates cap is a gold 'P' with no outline, the text is a black ‘Pittsburgh’ with a gold outline, and the numbers are gold with gold outlines.

To me, this is the only one they should be wearing! IMO, this is their most iconic look.
mlb_clemente_01.jpg

Am I the only one that didn’t care for the new black uniforms? Didn’t care for the all gold letters/numbers and outlines, way too many inconsistencies for me; Pirates cap is a gold 'P' with no outline, the text is a black ‘Pittsburgh’ with a gold outline, and the numbers are gold with gold outlines.

To me, this is the only one they should be wearing! IMO, this is their most iconic look.
mlb_clemente_01.jpg
I can't comment on their uniforms. I was watching BBQ Pitmasters instead. Now I'm hungry...

I can't comment on their uniforms. I was watching BBQ Pitmasters instead. Now I'm hungry...
That makes me hungry just thinking about it. Luckily we got some great BBQ out here in Kansas City. If you ever get the chance whether in KC or somewhere else that serves them, you gotta try burnt ends. Love getting them with sausage for a two-meat platter.

Reactions: HOF Coach
That makes me hungry just thinking about it. Luckily we got some great BBQ out here in Kansas City. If you ever get the chance whether in KC or somewhere else that serves them, you gotta try burnt ends. Love getting them with sausage for a two-meat platter.
I had burnt ends in Kansas City a few times...loved them!

Currently on TV, BBQ Pitmasters, they are in KC and are going to be judged on....Burnt Ends!

Pirates picked up their first win today over the Cards, 5-1. Didn’t get to watch the game but it sounds like Keller had a really nice outing. I’d be OK if they lost every single game except for Keller’s starts. One of the few things I’m looking forward to this season.

Edit: Two more things: Jose Osuna should be an every day starter somewhere, whether it’s on the field or as DH, and Nick Burdi is looking like he’s going to be very good.

Last edited:
Pirates were up 5-1 in the ninth and ended up losing in the eleventh. They’re really rolling now! :oops:
tank.gif

Feliz should be released after that performance in the 9th.

Feliz should be released after that performance in the 9th.

Up four, bases loaded, two strikes on the batter, and you hit him to force in a run. Why are you throwing a pitch like that in a situation like that?

Then Kyle Crick comes in, and you can see why people think that he could be a really good reliever. The break on his slider is ridiculous. Unfortunately, maybe because it breaks so much some times, he seems to have no idea where it's going to go when the throws it.

Reactions: anon_4dfwm2pijbr0a
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT