ADVERTISEMENT

2023-2024 Locker Room leader

Chairman Moe

All Conference
Nov 4, 2003
Just around the corner from Paradise
I think we can all agree that a major contributing factor to Pitt's success this year was its cohesiveness among the players. As HCJC said, the players had big egos but not any ego problems

To me, it was Jamarius who was the leader, with Nelly and Nike right behind. Of the other starters, Blake and Greg did not seem to have as much leadership "talent"; they seemed to need more "reigning in" than the others, but were, nevertheless, key contributors

Which leads to the subject: who will step up to the leader's role in 2023-2024? Or is that player(s) still out in the portal?

The twins and Fede often mentioned in press conferences how beneficial to their games it was to have not just the senior leadership, but the selfless support of their teammates. Reflecting back on who left and who remains ... can Hinson become a true leader? Is Dior more selfish or selfless?

After five years of coaching here, I'm pretty sure that HCJC and staff want their future locker rooms and teams to resemble this year's. Here's hoping the disastrous lack of chemistry the 2019-2020 team (et al) had is way back in the rear view mirror

Capel will lead. He will limit the binge eating emotions of Hinson, the Eyor sadness of Fede, the giddiness of the Twins, the selfish style of Dior, and the ….of Jeffress. Hmm, maybe Jeffress will do it. I jest, but Capel needs to step up and take command of the momentum.

I think we can all agree that a major contributing factor to Pitt's success this year was its cohesiveness among the players. As HCJC said, the players had big egos but not any ego problems

To me, it was Jamarius who was the leader, with Nelly and Nike right behind. Of the other starters, Blake and Greg did not seem to have as much leadership "talent"; they seemed to need more "reigning in" than the others, but were, nevertheless, key contributors

Which leads to the subject: who will step up to the leader's role in 2023-2024? Or is that player(s) still out in the portal?

The twins and Fede often mentioned in press conferences how beneficial to their games it was to have not just the senior leadership, but the selfless support of their teammates. Reflecting back on who left and who remains ... can Hinson become a true leader? Is Dior more selfish or selfless?

After five years of coaching here, I'm pretty sure that HCJC and staff want their future locker rooms and teams to resemble this year's. Here's hoping the disastrous lack of chemistry the 2019-2020 team (et al) had is way back in the rear view mirror

Disagree about Blake. People rave about him in those interviews and he seems like an awesome, upbeat dude. I remember the first interview he did with Peak and I thought he "sounds" different than any Panther I remember. Very funny and personable.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
Capel will lead. He will limit the binge eating emotions of Hinson, the Eyor sadness of Fede, the giddiness of the Twins, the selfish style of Dior, and the ….of Jeffress. Hmm, maybe Jeffress will do it. I jest, but Capel needs to step up and take command of the momentum.
I think this year showed more of Capel's capability as a coach, as his players were more united and focused on what they could achieve. I'm sure that being picked next to last in the ACC was equally motivating, once the transfers got aligned with JB and Nike

But yes, Capel needs to step up and find the next leader(s). IMO they're not among the returning players

Reactions: FireballZ

Capel only called Greg Elliott "the best teammate he's ever been around".

Disagree about Blake. People rave about him in those interviews and he seems like an awesome, upbeat dude. I remember the first interview he did with Peak and I thought he "sounds" different than any Panther I remember. Very funny and personable.
Blake will be the "Nike Sibande" to the next group of transfers if you get my drift. But the next leader - I think - will be whoever is transferring here at one of the guard spots. JMO

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Your leaders on the court are guards regardless. They control everything. Whoever they bring in will be leading this team with Dior. That's why we need someone probably older and better than dior.

Capel only called Greg Elliott "the best teammate he's ever been around".
Greg was great; no question. My comment about "reigning in" was from witnessing what appeared to be his dejection on court when a call wasn't made, or his shots weren't falling.

This year's team could rally around each other and be selfless. 4 of those dudes are gone. It usually takes one or two guys to help lead the others and share the spotlight. GDG seems the most likely to be that guy of the players coming back

Your leaders on the court are guards regardless. They control everything. Whoever they bring in will be leading this team with Dior. That's why we need someone probably older and better than dior.
For sure. I'm guessing that Capel and his staff are now looking not only at transfer's game highlights, but their character as well. It's too bad that Dior had the suspension this year as I think he'd have grown up and learned from the experience of Nike, Nelly, and Jamarius. It's one thing to see that from the sidelines; quite another to experience it in games. I agree that we'll get a transfer PG to help him develop

Reactions: Drew1208
For sure. I'm guessing that Capel and his staff are now looking not only at transfer's game highlights, but their character as well. It's too bad that Dior had the suspension this year as I think he'd have grown up and learned from the experience of Nike, Nelly, and Jamarius. It's one thing to see that from the sidelines; quite another to experience it in games. I agree that we'll get a transfer PG to help him develop

He said something to the effect of they are looking for great people when asked about transfers after the loss. They can be more selective and if they get a hunch that a certain player isnt great for a locker room, they can look elsewhere. I am sure Capel understands that team culture is a big part of this. This team wasnt overly talented but they liked each other, played for each other, and were a true team. Really one of my favorite Pitt teams because of who they became.

Reactions: Chairman Moe
Why can’t it be Jeffress? He’ll be the most senior guy on the team and has been here long enough to have seen a lot. I really expect a great improvement in his game next year. Nothing crazy as far as stats. Just a great teammate and solid player.

I think this year showed more of Capel's capability as a coach, as his players were more united and focused on what they could achieve. I'm sure that being picked next to last in the ACC was equally motivating, once the transfers got aligned with JB and Nike

But yes, Capel needs to step up and find the next leader(s). IMO they're not among the returning players
they're not among the returning players

Agree

Why can’t it be Jeffress? He’ll be the most senior guy on the team and has been here long enough to have seen a lot. I really expect a great improvement in his game next year. Nothing crazy as far as stats. Just a great teammate and solid player.
I usually respect your opinions and is why I am asking a follow up. What have you seen in Jeffress that makes you think his game will improve greatly? And to me he has to improve significantly in order for it to even be an improvement. I don't see any improvement in his shooting cause he has a terrible stroke. He's not overly athletic and doesn't have a good handle to all of a sudden become a threat to get to the rim. His best contributions will come from rebounding, setting picks and filling in at the 3 and 4. He seems like he works hard, has good character and I hope he stays in the program cause I think he can help the youngsters. But I don't see him making a big difference on the floor.

I usually respect your opinions and is why I am asking a follow up. What have you seen in Jeffress that makes you think his game will improve greatly? And to me he has to improve significantly in order for it to even be an improvement. I don't see any improvement in his shooting cause he has a terrible stroke. He's not overly athletic and doesn't have a good handle to all of a sudden become a threat to get to the rim. His best contributions will come from rebounding, setting picks and filling in at the 3 and 4. He seems like he works hard, has good character and I hope he stays in the program cause I think he can help the youngsters. But I don't see him making a big difference on the floor.
I know that Capel likes him a lot and thinks highly of him. I know his time on the floor hasn’t been what we hoped for. I’ve heard references to him filling out and getting stronger and know that his defense has been good in spots. Perhaps it’s wishful thinking, but I recall the talk of the past Panthers having “connectivity”. I feel that he offers us the best shot at giving us tthat given his experience, maturity and seemingly his character.

Hinson can start leading right now by teaching the twins how to duplicate his daily diet. On a more serious note, I think Blake is a good dude, with a good personality that younger players will rely on for leadership on and off the court.

Reactions: PittPanther44
I know that Capel likes him a lot and thinks highly of him. I know his time on the floor hasn’t been what we hoped for. I’ve heard references to him filling out and getting stronger and know that his defense has been good in spots. Perhaps it’s wishful thinking, but I recall the talk of the past Panthers having “connectivity”. I feel that he offers us the best shot at giving us tthat given his experience, maturity and seemingly his character.
Yeah, I agree with all of that but if the program is trying to build off of this years success, I just don't think his on floor contributions will be great enough to get many minutes. (Unless) these freshman are not able to contribute right away as expected and they don't have much luck in the portal. The other issue is where do you play him. If he's gotten bigger and/or stronger he may only be able to back up the 4, and maybe the 5 in emergencies which is certainly needed.

Greg was great; no question. My comment about "reigning in" was from witnessing what appeared to be his dejection on court when a call wasn't made, or his shots weren't falling.

This year's team could rally around each other and be selfless. 4 of those dudes are gone. It usually takes one or two guys to help lead the others and share the spotlight. GDG seems the most likely to be that guy of the players coming back
Yeah, this team had leadership, but there were also times where they went after the officials too much. Guys like Hinson, Nike and Elliott all looked at times like they were more focused on the officials than the other team at times this season.

I had Blake as a student, fall semester. Sat in the first row: very mature and confident. I made it a point
to talk to him during the early shootarounds @ homegames; he'd come over, shake hands and was always hyped. He's already a leader!

Yeah, I agree with all of that but if the program is trying to build off of this years success, I just don't think his on floor contributions will be great enough to get many minutes. (Unless) these freshman are not able to contribute right away as expected and they don't have much luck in the portal. The other issue is where do you play him. If he's gotten bigger and/or stronger he may only be able to back up the 4, and maybe the 5 in emergencies which is certainly needed.
Fair points for sure. I think he’ll contribute at the 3 and maybe the 4 based on matchups. While likely still a bit contributor overall, I guess I was thinking that you can lead without being the star, so to speak.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT