ADVERTISEMENT

2025 pa recruiting

Warriordan

Freshman
Gold Member
Aug 13, 2001
this is the best class in years and Pitt has been totally shut out.Very disapointing.

What weight and who should we target?
If you look at this year’s starters, there is the potential for most to be around through 2027. Of course, not all will be – the transfer portal almost assures that – but let’s pretend they will be. Let’s also pretend that all will wrestle the same weight for four years (another improbability).

If we pencil in some of the top recruits in the program – Anthony Santaniello, Dylan Evans, Grant MacKay – then you’re pretty well set through 2027 at least.

20242025 202620272028
125CamachoCamacho
133V-SantV-SantV-SantV-Sant
141MatthewsA-SantA-SantA-SantA-Sant
149SolomonSolomonSolomonSolomon
157KeslarKeslarKeslarKeslar
165H-HellerEvansEvansEvansEvans
174LucaLucaLucaMacKayMacKay
184R-HellerR-Heller
197StoutStoutStoutStout
285PitzerPitzerPitzerPitzer

The commitments that they have for 2024 – Colyn Limbert (125), Matt Marlow (125), Kade Brown (141), Jackson Young (141), Joey Simon (141) – are in the same range.

Neither of the 25-pounders are ranked, but they do give Pitt some depth along with Tyler Chappell. Still, if you can land a stud there, I think that’s a no-brainer, as it’s the hardest weight to fill simply because few guys are holding that weight for four years and no one is growing into it as they do other weights.

The Class of 2025 commits include another 141/149 type in Carson Walsh, who is ranked No. 91 by Flo. Bode Marlow, who the coaching staff sees as ascending, is probably in the 174 range. Maybe he, Luca or MacKay grows into an 84-pounder. Maybe someone on the roster makes a huge jump from little-known recruit to All-American potential.

More likely, you’ll need to try to bring in a stud in that range.

I haven't gotten any specifics on who they're targeting, but that is where I'd be looking.

Thanks for the insite Eric as always. I agree with you, I was gonna say 125, 184, and HWT(no rush obviously, but if we could land one in the next 2yrs to be around Pitzer and develop and be ready to step in would be ideal. And obviously if a stud wants to be at Pitt, I don’t care what weight he is you take him, lol.

Thanks for the insite Eric as always. I agree with you, I was gonna say 125, 184, and HWT(no rush obviously, but if we could land one in the next 2yrs to be around Pitzer and develop and be ready to step in would be ideal. And obviously if a stud wants to be at Pitt, I don’t care what weight he is you take him, lol.
Ha! Perhaps "stud" was too strong of a term. I think every team is looking for a 25-pounder, and good four-year starters at that weight are unicorns.
Good point on heavyweight. It's the second-hardest weight to fill. If Pitzer gets hurt, the chance to win duals almost disappears.

Back up heavy weight should be a pretty big priority. Geoff Magin would step in at heavyweight I would assume but he is gone after this year

If you look at this year’s starters, there is the potential for most to be around through 2027. Of course, not all will be – the transfer portal almost assures that – but let’s pretend they will be. Let’s also pretend that all will wrestle the same weight for four years (another improbability).

If we pencil in some of the top recruits in the program – Anthony Santaniello, Dylan Evans, Grant MacKay – then you’re pretty well set through 2027 at least.

20242025 202620272028
125CamachoCamacho
133V-SantV-SantV-SantV-Sant
141MatthewsA-SantA-SantA-SantA-Sant
149SolomonSolomonSolomonSolomon
157KeslarKeslarKeslarKeslar
165H-HellerEvansEvansEvansEvans
174LucaLucaLucaMacKayMacKay
184R-HellerR-Heller
197StoutStoutStoutStout
285PitzerPitzerPitzerPitzer

The commitments that they have for 2024 – Colyn Limbert (125), Matt Marlow (125), Kade Brown (141), Jackson Young (141), Joey Simon (141) – are in the same range.

Neither of the 25-pounders are ranked, but they do give Pitt some depth along with Tyler Chappell. Still, if you can land a stud there, I think that’s a no-brainer, as it’s the hardest weight to fill simply because few guys are holding that weight for four years and no one is growing into it as they do other weights.

The Class of 2025 commits include another 141/149 type in Carson Walsh, who is ranked No. 91 by Flo. Bode Marlow, who the coaching staff sees as ascending, is probably in the 174 range. Maybe he, Luca or MacKay grows into an 84-pounder. Maybe someone on the roster makes a huge jump from little-known recruit to All-American potential.

More likely, you’ll need to try to bring in a stud in that range.

I haven't gotten any specifics on who they're targeting, but that is where I'd be looking.

Next year will be interesting. Only 165 opens with Holden Heller departing. MacKay and Evans both top recruits looking for starting spot.

The following year with Reece Heller departing 184 opens. Everyone could potentially fall in place nicely.

157 Evans
165 Keslar
174 MacKay
184 Augustine

Ha! Perhaps "stud" was too strong of a term. I think every team is looking for a 25-pounder, and good four-year starters at that weight are unicorns.
Good point on heavyweight. It's the second-hardest weight to fill. If Pitzer gets hurt, the chance to win duals almost disappears.

Maybe we can get a 125 Unicorn left over from OSU or PSU. Crazy the depth they have. Only one guy starts. Therefore someone might be looking for new home.

Reactions: persp
Maybe we can get a 125 Unicorn left over from OSU or PSU. Crazy the depth they have. Only one guy starts. Therefore someone might be looking for new home.
That’s a good call. I would love to see Vinny Kilkeary come back home. I know it’s obviously highly unlikely, but wishful thinking.

Reactions: TJ-Pinzburgh
Next year will be interesting. Only 165 opens with Holden Heller departing. MacKay and Evans both top recruits looking for starting spot.

The following year with Reece Heller departing 184 opens. Everyone could potentially fall in place nicely.

157 Evans
165 Keslar
174 MacKay
184 Augustine
Lets just call 125 open too

Since we made alittle in with St’Eds, does anyone know if we are recruiting the Miller Brothers? they are both juniors and animals to boot(184/197lbs)

Reactions: jctrack
Just an update for 2024 Signees Kade Brown and Colyn Limbert, they both got bounced at the Iron Man in the round of 16.

Colyn was leading highly ranked Rivera but some back points at the end of the 2nd put it out of reach. Kade is really good at getting to legs especially with that low single just needs to get better at finishing. College rule set might help him since his opponent won’t be able to hang out on their back while defending. Reminded me of watching Nino in his younger years always being in on a shot but wasn’t able to finish

Reactions: persp
Cade’s younger brother Carson looks very tough, especially for just a sophomore. I’m assuming we’re in on him and hopefully we can close him by his junior year

Tyler is still growing into being a 125 LBer in college. Still a little light for what they want and I have been disappointed in his progression, the new rules dont allow me to take him to opens first semester, but I was encouraged by what I saw at Cleveland State Saturday. What they are working on is starting to transfer. A couple nice wins and in his losses he was right there. Jake Wentzel interacts with the wrestlers quite well and I am more confident now that I was a week ago he will work out. He is a a 5 year 125 with little worry he will outgrow the weight. He has room to build muscle and not have to focus on cutting a bunch of weight as a distraction.

I’d say more like 100. Many not even D1. I guess if they can enough NIL money anything is possible.

It was basically a joke that he is keeping his options open. Ha ha

May be wrong and it was a big joke but I think he is serious that he is keeping his options open. Internet nobodies continue to claim that he is not going to PSU so who knows

Reactions: TJ-Pinzburgh
I can see the draw to PSU. Cael has done amazing things on mat and as coach.

Also see the other side that they are so deep. Many outstanding kids never break the lineup. I’m sure part of it is the top kids are confident they will beat out everyone else.

They basically made Bishop McCort into Malvern Prep. National Powerhouse Prep school but wrestle public schools. They do not recruit. 😉
It was a long time ago and is pretty petty considering how long it has been but I have known that family a long time, wrestled against his uncle and played football against his dad and uncle, and they were just douches. Jack got me on the wrestling mat along with a few other guys but I had on the football field.

Last edited:
I know Bo and the family pretty well, and they've always been fantastic to me, but I'm not here to get into that debate.
I'd think Penn State is the favorite for the obvious reasons plus geography, assuming that Keegan will still be at McCort early in Bo's college career.
My guess - and I haven't asked in quite a while - is that Ohio State would be a close second. It's not too much farther. He was a huge Iowa fan growing up, but I imagine that distance would hurt the Hawkeyes.
Cornell is probably in the top five as well. I'd think there's a big dropoff after that.

Tyler is still growing into being a 125 LBer in college. Still a little light for what they want and I have been disappointed in his progression, the new rules dont allow me to take him to opens first semester, but I was encouraged by what I saw at Cleveland State Saturday. What they are working on is starting to transfer. A couple nice wins and in his losses he was right there. Jake Wentzel interacts with the wrestlers quite well and I am more confident now that I was a week ago he will work out. He is a a 5 year 125 with little worry he will outgrow the weight. He has room to build muscle and not have to focus on cutting a bunch of weight as a distraction.

Just moved back to Pittsburgh after seven years away - how good Jake is with the guys was the first thing that struck me.

Normally when athletes are great they struggle to transfer knowledge and relate to roster at-large. I see the opposite out of him. He's got a promising future if he decides to keep going with coaching.

May be wrong and it was a big joke but I think he is serious that he is keeping his options open. Internet nobodies continue to claim that he is not going to PSU so who knows
I mean, Crookham is at Lehigh so I suppose anything is possible

A bit of a surprise with Lilledahl and Gibson already committed but Desmond is probably a career 125er and the other two will probably grow.
Desmond isn’t the type to be happy as a back up. Not afraid to compete for a spot so he is going there expecting to win the spot. What surprises me about PSU most of all is the amount of wrestlers who appear satisfied being on a team as a practice contributor. I have expected to see more of their backups using PSU as springboard to transfer after being in the room for 1-2 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT