ADVERTISEMENT

2025 pa recruiting

Desmond isn’t the type to be happy as a back up. Not afraid to compete for a spot so he is going there expecting to win the spot. What surprises me about PSU most of all is the amount of wrestlers who appear satisfied being on a team as a practice contributor. I have expected to see more of their backups using PSU as springboard to transfer after being in the room for 1-2 years.
I completely agree. PSU is 2-3 deep with top recruits at every weight. Enough depth that they could put together a second top 10 team. Always surprises me kids continue to commit when it appears they have spot tied up for years. The top level recruits all feel they will win the spot. Surprised more guys don’t transfer after not securing the starting spot. They are definitely doing a lot of good things or putting something in the water.

One of my cardio rehab guys was a strong wrestler, multiple time state placer and only got a handful of matches in his career. He enjoyed the comradery of the greats in thier room and his education. Can't blame him or others but would like to see us get some of those guys into our program.

Everyone who is that highly rated and with that much success believes they will be the starter and are not all that worried.

Why they stay? No matter how long it takes to develop if you are the best guy at a weight you will start no matter your class or who else is on the team. Post grad is also a huge factor for many of these wrestlers and there is no better place to be in the country and they seem to treat everyone there pretty well.

I think it becomes a lot easier to find lineup spots for everyone when you realize that they're stretching a lot of these guys out to a 6 year career instead of four.

A good example is Facundo taking ORS this year purely to preserve eligibility. Then presumably Mesenbrink redshirt next year while Facundo goes. And Beau Bartlett wrestled up a weight for his first two seasons. That staff is skilled at finding ways to make the most of everyone's four seasons, allowing them to bring in all the top talent that we're seeing without a lot of defections.

I think it becomes a lot easier to find lineup spots for everyone when you realize that they're stretching a lot of these guys out to a 6 year career instead of four.

A good example is Facundo taking ORS this year purely to preserve eligibility. Then presumably Mesenbrink redshirt next year while Facundo goes. And Beau Bartlett wrestled up a weight for his first two seasons. That staff is skilled at finding ways to make the most of everyone's four seasons, allowing them to bring in all the top talent that we're seeing without a lot of defections.
At least until PSU brings in another Mesenbrink or Haines

Those appear to outliers, I know 5-6 kids my boys competed with who will most likely never see the mat as a starter. That’s just at two weight classes. I get camaraderie and being on a winning team but my boys want to see the mat. Different personalities have different wants.

Those appear to outliers, I know 5-6 kids my boys competed with who will most likely never see the mat as a starter. That’s just at two weight classes. I get camaraderie and being on a winning team but my boys want to see the mat. Different personalities have different wants.
Yeah, I dont understand being ok with never seeing the mat either. Especially for guys who have great success in HS.

Put in all that time, effort, and strain just to help other guys gain the accolades? No chance.

Powerade Results:
Matt Marlow(127)- Lost in 2nd round as the #2 seed(didn’t look very impressive)
Joey Simon(133)- lost rnd of 32, won consolation
Kade Brown- won both matches so far, looking very tough, problem is, is he has Bo Bassett in quarters.

Powerade Results:
Matt Marlow(127)- Lost in 2nd round as the #2 seed(didn’t look very impressive)
Joey Simon(133)- lost rnd of 32, won consolation
Kade Brown- won both matches so far, looking very tough, problem is, is he has Bo Bassett in quarters.
Oof

Bode Marlow- one first 2 matches then just lost 5-4, second match I’ve watched one from the beast of the east where he’s winning and gets reversed to his back and ends up losing by one point.

Powerade seeds aren’t exactly indicative of who the best wrestlers are

On another note, the rich keep getting richer. Penn State just got a commitment from the 6th ranked 165 pounder from Blair Academy, William Henckel.

An interesting watch is the heavyweight from Bergen Catholic Ben Shue, took fourth place at the New Jersey State championships last year as a sophomore, and he should have a head on collision with Nick Pavlevhko from State College, who is ranked top 15 in a nation. I know he visited Pitt cause on his Twitter account has the uniform on posing with the coaches, so that might be someone to keep an eye on for our next heavyweight

Matt Marlow and Joey Simon are out. Kade Brown lost to Bo Bassett 16-8, he battled, I’ll give him that.

Reactions: persp
A lot of these guys have to be walking on, right? Cant be money available for all of these guys
Some are, some get academic money, they have a fair bit of NIL money, and they are okay with using gray money, the promise of a nice payment from the NLWC when they are done with college.

Reactions: persp
Bode Marlow is out. Pitt recruits not looking too good, all out in day 1 except for Kade Brown.

Shue seems like ideal recruit. Pitzer is the guy but need someone competent for practice/injury. Track is his #1 sport

Reactions: jctrack
Powerade brings back so many memories for me. Even found the bracket from my senior year in 1996 where I got 5th. Id post up the bracket, but I cant seem to get pictures to post

Amen to that. Also, I’m not sure if they are but I would really hope that Coach Gavin and the crew are on the Miller boys from ST’ Ed’s as well because they absolutely fill a need of 184-197 In the future. I know Mac is only as freshman, but they could be like a heller brother 1-2 punch.

Has de Jesus who is ranked 3rd in the finals. Let’s go Carson

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT