ADVERTISEMENT

24/25 Lineup + Transfer Speculation (Coming and Going)

Speaking of Bakersfield Mateo de la pena committed. I believe he was CBU’s started at 165 at the end of the year but I don’t envision him beating out Mackay but he is at least started capable depth not moving the needle but not a bad move either
Looks like he is from cal Baptist not Bakersfield

Reactions: singregardless
Pretty sad that the ‘24 class is so thin for Pitt. Pretty clear that we have taken a backseat in the acc with Stanford coming in. For being located in a recruiting hotbed recruits seem to be choosing everywhere except for Pitt. It’s one thing to lose out to Penn state and Ohio state but the southern acc schools have left us in the dust as well.

Reactions: Jagdish
Yeah haven’t seen enough guys develop. Did a good job with Nino. A guy who never won a state title.

I like to see them improve as well. However expectations are too high. Not close to competing with the top 10 schools when it comes to facilities, NIL or RTC.

• Sad
Reactions: jctrack
I did this in a thread somewhere and I can pull it up if needed but I don't think development is as bad as people on this board think. Pitt is not pulling in a high percentage of AA caliber recruits and therefore is not developing many AA. Guys like Nino and Cole are examples of good development from the staff and most of the "busts" are guys that were not that highly rated nationally coming out of HS.

Recruiting has been the biggest issue for why Pitt has not been at the level we would want it:

Recent Big Board Rankings of our Recruits

2025*: #80 Carson Walsh, #130 Marlow, #155 Petrovich, Rest Unranked
2024: #169 Kade Brown, #240 Jackson Young, #242 Colyn Limbert, Rest Unranked
2023: #18 Ant, #105 Grant, #140 Dylan, #183 Tyler, Rest Unranked
2022: #34 Mac, #41 Pitzer, #94 Keslar, #111 Finn Solomon (Transfer) #137 Cuerbo, #150 Priest, #231 Laffey, Rest Unranked
2021: #35 Luca, #75 Brock, #121 Vinny (Transer), #130 Finch, #244 Hivnor, Rest Unranked
2020: #194 Petrucelli, Rest Unranked
2019: #99 Mancini (Transfer), Rest Unranked
2018: #78 Cole, Rest Unranked

I may have missed some but in the last 6 recruting classes we have had 2 absolute duds, which is why our current team is so young. The last 3 classes have been very good and so far under Gavin it looks like they have hit somewhat on all of the top 50 recruits and developed Cole very well from where he was ranked. Need to get a top 50 guy in practically every class and start consistently getting top 30 guys to compete long-term.
* Still in HS
To add onto this. Willie just went over his last 10 recruiting classes and I can give a year by year breakdown of them
24: NR
23: 19th
22: 14th
21: 21st
20: NR
19: 22nd
2018: NR
2017: NR
2016: 11th
2015: NR
Using the formula Willie used to rank teams on recruiting classes Pitt's average placement of 23.7 would have put them as the 21st team based on recruiting in the last 10 years. VT was 6th and NCST was 9th with average placements of 12.1 and 13 respectively. It is that simple to me. The average recruiting class for VT and NCST in the last 10 years would be the second best for Pitt in that time frame. This is why Pitt is not as good as we want them to be, they are not bringing in enough high level talent. Our 2025 class will be unranked as it stands but I do like our pickups so far and think this could be a top 25 class with a few more pickups. However that is not what is needed for serious long term improvement. 2026 needs to be a top 15 class and 2027 realistically needs to be a top 10 class if this program wants to be at the top of the ACC long term.

• Wow
Reactions: lucac and jctrack
To add onto this. Willie just went over his last 10 recruiting classes and I can give a year by year breakdown of them
24: NR
23: 19th
22: 14th
21: 21st
20: NR
19: 22nd
2018: NR
2017: NR
2016: 11th
2015: NR
Using the formula Willie used to rank teams on recruiting classes Pitt's average placement of 23.7 would have put them as the 21st team based on recruiting in the last 10 years. VT was 6th and NCST was 9th with average placements of 12.1 and 13 respectively. It is that simple to me. The average recruiting class for VT and NCST in the last 10 years would be the second best for Pitt in that time frame. This is why Pitt is not as good as we want them to be, they are not bringing in enough high level talent. Our 2025 class will be unranked as it stands but I do like our pickups so far and think this could be a top 25 class with a few more pickups. However that is not what is needed for serious long term improvement. 2026 needs to be a top 15 class and 2027 realistically needs to be a top 10 class if this program wants to be at the top of the ACC long term.
Terrible when you see those rankings

Well the tough part is the Fitz was in rough shape, which makes a difference. I think the new arena (plus the addition of Coach Rosselli coming onboard) will get us in the door with more top guys.
Is Rosselli a good recruiter? Does he have the charisma for recruiting that Gavin seems to lack? Thanks.

Is Rosselli a good recruiter? Does he have the charisma for recruiting that Gavin seems to lack? Thanks.
he was a pretty solid recruiter at OU but had a reputation for focusing too much on out of state products and not getting enough oklahoma guys

Reactions: Chaos
I don’t think most people considered Roselli a good recruiter at OU. They pretty much fell off the map during his time there. In his 6 years, he never had a national champion and had only 3 AAs. As The Oklahoman said when he resigned or was fired ( no one outside the program knows for certain) “Roselli was unsuccessful by any measurement.” OU doesn’t have the reputation of Oklahoma State, but it has won 7 NCAA titles.

In his predecessor’s 4 years there, OU was 12th twice, 13th once and 14th once in the NCAAs. His highest finish in 6 years was 25th and in 2023 they finished 40th.

Some guys can recruit. Popolizio came to NC State before they upgraded their facilities and basically had to start a wrestling club from scratch, yet he had 2 top 10 recruiting classes in his first 3 years. PSU doesn’t take a lot of PA wrestlers, although they do try to get the cream of the crop in the right years, and that has left a big opening for other programs. NC State and VT have taken advantage of it. Pitt has not. I believe NC State had 4 or 5 PA kids starting for them last season.

You can look at Gavin in interviews or in the coaches’ area on the mat and “dynamic” would not be a word anyone ever would use to describe him. I don’t see where Roselli will help much in recruiting. There certainly is nothing in his track record at OU to suggest that. He was an assistant as Ohio State but that was a long time ago, and his recruiting contacts from then probably are no longer on the scene.

I did see Roselli is already putting in work visiting the Bassetts. Doubtful Bo comes to Pitt, but it’s great to see him out there.
Somebody should give him a darn Pitt shirt. I barely recognized him, especially with wearing a plain T-shirt lol

With the season getting closer and all portal activity seemingly done, I think it is time to refresh over the lineup/options for this year.

Set in Stone:
33: Vin, had some good wins and close results last year but could never quite get the biggest wins at a very deep weight class. 133 is not as top heavy this year but looks to be just as deep, or even deeper than last year. He will need to make a jump if he wants to be a point scorer at NCAAs
49: Finn, Was very close with AA's last year and even beat Quinn Kinner who took 8th. He is talented enough that he could definitely place but this is a weight that hardly lost anyone so he will likely have to jump past guys he couldn't beat last season.
74: Luca, he was close last year, hopefully he stays healthy
84: Reece, When he was on he was AA caliber, when he was off he was 0-2 at NCAA's level. Kranitz will be a very solid backup
97: Mac, the weight cleared out at the elite level but is very deep and lots of parity, he could go 2-2 or place top 6 and I wouldn't be surprised
HWT: Excited to see a healthy full feed Dayton, this weight has a lot of returners so it will be interesting to see where he ends up after things shake out

TBD;
125: Biggest question: Babin seems like the guy based on past results but he still has a redshirt if they wanted to use it, Tallamadge might still have a RS and he beat Camacho last year before getting hurt, Chappell is coming off redshirt and made real jumps during the year last year so I won't count him out
141: Ant is likely the guy but he missed nearly all of last year with injury, so I could see Priest getting some action depending on how healed Ant is.
157: Keslar and Evans I expect to battle out for this spot.
165: The loser of Keslar Evans may move up and challenge MacKay but I honestly expect Grant to take this spot pretty easily

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT