ADVERTISEMENT

24/25 Lineup + Transfer Speculation (Coming and Going)

I just don’t see how Rutgers is any better with Peterson and Shawver both locked in at 125 and 133 for 2 more years

I do really like that lineup. But an upgrade or two can still easily occur and needs to occur if you want to challange Vtech UNc etc not even talking about nc state because they are loaded for one more year

125- now have two guys who can win matches at the college level. Feel a lot better with depth may the best man win.
133- vinnie has another year post injury to show he is capable. Encouraging start but didn’t secure national bid which was disappointing
141- ant is perhaps Pitts highest ranked recruit since? Coming off injury so probably won’t have the highest expectations but should be good
149- I think everyone can agree the arrow is pointing up on Finn
157- keslar/ Evans will be a good battle. Either way like 125 happy to have two capable guys now but overall a lot needs to be proven
165- McKay I would look hard at the transfer portal but at least have a heralded recruit
174- Luca is a top 20 guy at the least
184- great depth heller and kranitz are very good 1-2 punch
197- Stout may be our #1 guy in lineup
HWT- Pitzer if healthy should be an all American candidate

Didn't his father get his nose out of joint with Gavin over something?
He was committed to Pitt as our top recruit. Suddenly during a dead period of recruiting, he decommitted from Pitt and committed to PSU for little or no scholarship. He had a large scholie to Pitt. Pitt was not happy with PSU. Looks like Pitt got the last laugh and saved a lot of scholarship money.

Correct, so Scott would be a senior whenever Johnson is a redshirt freshman so yeah he might have to wait an extra year but there is no guaranteed stout is healthy for next 3 years

VT and UNC have picked up quality 133s. McGonagle from Lehigh to VT and Oakley from APP ST. to UNC.
133 in the ACC next year looks rough,
Vinnie
McGonagle
Oakley
Orine
Yarbrough
Maybe Yarbrough moves up but if he doesn't that is an incredibly stacked weight class.

On a related note it seems like Latona is moving up to 141 for VT.

Unfortunately, with that lineup at 133 Vinny is lagging behind. If He doesn’t pick up his offense He ain’t gonna stand a chance.
I think it is likely a tier system going into the year of:
Orine and McGonagle
Oakley and Yarbrough
Vinnie
But he can definitely jump into the level that has Oakley and Yarbrough this season. Both are guys he can beat if he makes an offensive jump

Reactions: Silkky1982
VT's lightweight coach just left so that could be a factor. Wonder if that affects recruits like Seidel at all. Scuttlebutt is that Coulmbia's HC may leave to take the lightweight coach role at VT. That would effect Columbia recruits and current athletes. Cooper Hornack is a guy we were in on who could possibly change his mind if the coach leaves.

Damn, I hate whenever guys I wanted to be a Pitt go to an ACC school. McGonagle would’ve been nice for just one year at 133 for us.

Has anybody heard anything or any rumors around Maddox Shaw and Vince Bouzakis? Just wondering because guys like that usually make a decision going into their senior year.

We probably didn’t have a chance because as I’ve said in the past, our recruiting is very mediocre

Tom Ryan likes to cry poor when they don't pull guys out of the portal but OSU wrestling has a well funded RTC and NIL.

Tom Ryan likes to cry poor when they don't pull guys out of the portal but OSU wrestling has a well funded RTC and NIL.
As I stated in a thread months ago is their number one donor was my old boss so yes, I do know. They are very well funded,, pretty much they have what they need when they need it.

Unfortunately we can’t complete with the top schools when it comes to facilities or NIL money. It’s an easy decision if you put yourself in the kids shoes. Hopefully we can keep improving but sounds like we are still very far off.

Shame that 2025 was supposed to be the class the Pitt would benefit from all the other top schools not having scholarship money for. Well NIL clearly changed that but that only explains some of it not all of it. Just not good enough plain and simple

Looking at 2025 it is pretty bleak. Austin Johnson is top uncommitted PA guy and we had him for a visit. He becomes almost a must have. I hope the staff is in heavy on Mutarelli because he is a stud that may be a little underrated because he took time off and then was ineligible for the postseason. Those two are the only uncommitted PA guys left.

• Wow
Reactions: jctrack
It is obviously disappointing but we were definitely also in on many of these top recruits and got visits. Off the top of my head we lost Vince and Shaw to tOSU, Botero to Michigan, Seidel to VT and Chapman to Rutgers. Those 5 are all studs and 2025 was a down year for the WPIAL so there are less obvious misses. 1 big class where we bring in 2-3 of these high level recruits would be huge for turning the program around. To sum it up this unfortunate recruiting year was not for a lack of effort IMO but it can’t continue if the program wants to level up

Losing out on the 2024s is rough too. Gill, Wright, Lawrence, Bouyssou to name a few. Just really thought recruiting would increase not decrease after Ninos win. Not to be fair did have some good transfers and that has to be taken into account and the late flip of Ant last year isn’t forgotten but all the top teams get the big transfers and are cleaning up the high school recruits

Reactions: singregardless
Losing out on the 2024s is rough too. Gill, Wright, Lawrence, Bouyssou to name a few. Just really thought recruiting would increase not decrease after Ninos win. Not to be fair did have some good transfers and that has to be taken into account and the late flip of Ant last year isn’t forgotten but all the top teams get the big transfers and are cleaning up the high school recruits
I don’t know. I don’t see any of those guys you mentioned being in the lineup if they were at Pitt. Maybe wright. I’ve seen people say it would be good to have high level recruits come in and provide depth but I don’t see that happening. Seems like that only happens at psu. Pitts projected lineup for next season has 1 senior, 1 junior and the rest freshman and sophomores.

I don’t know. I don’t see any of those guys you mentioned being in the lineup if they were at Pitt. Maybe wright. I’ve seen people say it would be good to have high level recruits come in and provide depth but I don’t see that happening. Seems like that only happens at psu. Pitts projected lineup for next season has 1 senior, 1 junior and the rest freshman and sophomores.
Wright would have been a redshirt then go 174/184 with Luca guy. Maybe Gil would be a 125 starter but he just took 4th at PA states. Lawrence is a stud but would spend a RS+2 more years behind Mac. Bouyssou would have been a canidate to start at 157 most likely.

I do agree that having such a young team could hurt recruiting. any potential 125-141 knows they have 3-4 years of being blocked. 149 Finn has 3 years left. 174-184 clears up soon but 197-HWT is locked up long term. 157-165 is where we have plenty of young guys but not proven ones so someone like Bouzakis could have been perfect to come in and be a 4 year starter. Shaw looks like a 149 in college but he or Finn could have bumped to 157 if we got him. There are not many middleweights left from PA in the 2025 class so I think they look to 2026 as a potential major class

Have to keep building. Tough competition to land some of the top WPIAL guys.

I do believe we did get two top 100 Flo 2025 Recruits.

Carson Walsh NJ (149) and Bode Marlow TJ (160).

Evan Petrovich from Connellsville (149) is good pickup also.

Next season line-up is still young. Adding some nice depth in the low to mid weights.

2024-25 Years Remaining
125​
Tallmadge 4Chappell, RS: Limbert OH, Marlow NY
133​
V Santaniello 3125's that move up
141​
A Santaniello 4Priest, RS: Brown OH, Young NJ
149​
Solomon 3Michaels, Laffey, Badgett
157​
Keslar 2 / Evans 4Keslar/Evans, Miller
165​
MacKay 4
174​
Augustine 2RS Tongel
184​
R Heller 1Kranitz (Buf Tsf)
197​
Stout 3
285​
Pitzer 3RS Marion

Reactions: wrestlingfan22
Yes, that’s the two I mentioned we should be going after, but who knows if we are. Especially with Karson Brown lurking in the class of 2026

With Rosselli coming in as an assistant coach does Jared Hill follow? One of the biggest fish remaining in the portal

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT