ADVERTISEMENT

A damning indictment on Narduzzi and Cignetti

Almost 5, really. Slovis, Patti, Jurkovec, CV... and then they said they found out during the week of practice if they were going to let Yarnell or Derek Kyler start against WMU last season. That's why I'm still skeptical. I don't think our coaches can be THAT out of touch.

What is more likely to happen at Duke?

1) We win emphatically, and NY captures the starting position and never looks back?

2) We struggle again on offense, against a team that has a pulse, and we're right back to having no idea who the guy is for 2024?

Not being negative, but I'm piecing the tea leaves together with recent history.

How long till we find out it’s a damning indictment of NIL

Let’s face it we have no idea how much this unregulated mess has screwed shit up behind the scenes

And the NCAA is completely gutless on doing anything like set up a framework or … basic rules …

I remember them going after players for free tattoos… lol… fun times

I think it says that the OC has a sh*t eye for QB talent. He seems to have literally preferred 4 QBs that I think Yarnell is better than.
It's much easier to look good in practice than in a game. In practice you can look the part. The true test is in game conditions. We've see all of them play and the only one that hasn't flinched so far is Yarnell. He has shown a lot in two starts.

I believe the coaches have something to work with in Yarnell. Jurkovec and CV have had multiple starts under their belts and they've looked worse with each start.

It's much easier to look good in practice than in a game.
yes and no..

It just depends on how the practice/drill/period is scripted and what the expectations of those situations are.

There are such things as "success" periods in practice where the offense or the defense has the advantage and those are minimum standard evaluation times where you better be able to execute under those conditions and if you can't, you're going to have a hard time moving up the ladder. On the flipside, there are situations in practice that are chaotic where the offense or the defense aren't expected to be "great" in terms of outcomes. In those scenarios, you might not see a run pop for big yardage or QB be able to complete a pass. But, you hope to see the OL utilize their blocking rules and technique. You hope to see the QB make the right decision on a pass. These periods are invaluable because your trying to make things stressful in order to have gameday not be stressful.

Most coaches make an evaluation of both scenarios and try to project where a player is on the depth chart. When things are equal or close, coaches use a variety of reasons to justify the depth chart - experience, leadership, ceiling, and nowadays NIL has come into fold.

Yarnell's performance against BC was good but is only 1 data point this year. I'm going to wait and see what he does against Duke and, if he's the starter next year, what he does against a couple of teams other than sacrificial lambs. It's premature to judge Nate on just this one game and what he did in one game previously.

Yeah I'm far from crowning Yarnell right now. He had a run game, whereas some of the other guys didn't, and that was a pretty pedestrian stat line against a depleted secondary. I'm not saying he is or isn't the guy, but who could know at this point?

If you watch Syracuse, they didn't let our receivers get behind them because throwing over the top was CV's strength. Let's hold our horses and see what Yarnel does against teams that actually game plan against his propensities.
He had a run game because he could pass. His completion percentage was good, and he threw downfield. A 60 yard td reception to show for it, too. And he could run to keep them honest, too. And could look off receivers and go through his progressions. A lot of positives

What is more likely to happen at Duke?

1) We win emphatically, and NY captures the starting position and never looks back?

2) We struggle again on offense, against a team that has a pulse, and we're right back to having no idea who the guy is for 2024?

Not being negative, but I'm piecing the tea leaves together with recent history.

ok, here's my super fanboy thought....

We win against Duke, Narduzzi seems to always do well against them. Plus Yarnel is following the Pickett path, sat behind two struggling QB's until finally getting his chance in the last two games to put a positive ending to the season and create some hope for the next year.

Reactions: PANTHERAN
I don’t remember that lol. Palko played at Pitt Stadium?? I must’ve been in a coma 😂

John Turman was the QB in 1999 when Pitt beat ND 37-27, I believe. Just going by memory. I also recall that David Priestley was the backup QB. Palko never played at Pitt Stadium.

Didn't CV go on the road and beat a Louisville team that is light years better than BC and look much better than Nate tonight in doing it?
The simple answer is no. Pitt beat Louisville in Pittsburgh. After the game, CV got to conduct the Pitt band.

Palko had Curtis Martin and Kevan Barlow in the backfield with Fitz and Too Tall Jones at wideout

Completely unfair comparison

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT