ADVERTISEMENT

A&M going after Franklin?

Texas A&M could easily beat PSU’s best offer money wise. You are way underestimating their $
Is the money available? Yes. But that doesn't necessarily mean that they'd want to break the bank for Franklin. He's been good for the Nits, but there's a big difference between the Big Ten and the SEC.

Is the money available? Yes. But that doesn't necessarily mean that they'd want to break the bank for Franklin. He's been good for the Nits, but there's a big difference between the Big Ten and the SEC.

Another big part is Franklin has PSU going in the right direction and is probably pretty safe.

He'll get another raise and stick around.

Nobody is "praying" that Franklin leaves. I don't give a rat's ass one way or the other, nitter... You're just bent out of shape because I said that other big schools don't think that much of PSU and feel they can pry him loose for more money.That and the fact that coaches leave all the time for more money. Texas, Michigan, USC, Wisconsin, LSU etc, do not have the same coaches they did 5 years ago. Some day Frankie will leave too... He won't be there forever... Deal with it...
Yeah, because they fired their HCs, not because they left for more money/better jobs. Terrible attempt at a "point".

Hearing rumors that it's essentially a done deal. 6.9 million over 10 years per. He's down there "recruiting" but signing a deal. Look for PSU to hire Al Golden or Mike Munchak or make a pitch to elevate Coach Joe Moorhead. Sources are saying he could sign and leave Penn State within the next 3 days. Unreal how this stuff goes down.
Holy crap is this unbelievably stupid. This guy has to be a troll. If not, he actually believes Franklin would leave Penn State mid season.

@H2P333 made the dumbest post in Pantherlair history.

JC - how about we let the season play out before anointing Franklin the bestest ever? IF, and that's a big if, A&M is seriously considering this, it won't happen till the end of the season and anything can happen between now and then.

I obviously can be wrong, but I will be shocked if PSU makes it through the rest of their season without a loss and possibly even 2.

Wasn’t Penn State complaining that the money they were fined was so wrong, yet they can drop all this money on a football coach?

Don't take the bait, people. Franklin's new contract pays him over $5million/yr, plus money to get the facilities up to the best in the Big Ten. He's from Pennsylvania, and most of his family still lives here. He owns Pennsylvania, and has solid footholds in Jersey and Maryland. He is getting recruits from Florida and Texas. And he's leaving for an SEC school that clearly doesn't like black coaches? Nobody with a brain could possibly believe that.

Yeah, because they fired their HCs, not because they left for more money/better jobs. Terrible attempt at a "point".

Holy crap is this unbelievably stupid. This guy has to be a troll. If not, he actually believes Franklin would leave Penn State mid season.

@H2P333 made the dumbest post in Pantherlair history.

Just going off twitter verse and Dodd's reporting. This has NOT been confirmed by either University as of now (7:14 EST).

Don't take the bait, people. Franklin's new contract pays him over $5million/yr, plus money to get the facilities up to the best in the Big Ten. He's from Pennsylvania, and most of his family still lives here. He owns Pennsylvania, and has solid footholds in Jersey and Maryland. He is getting recruits from Florida and Texas. And he's leaving for an SEC school that clearly doesn't like black coaches? Nobody with a brain could possibly believe that.

I know it would break your blue & white heart if he left, but I think this was probably leaked by Franklin's agent during a bye week to get even more money out of the cult prior to the brutal 3 game stretch they are facing. That way if he craps the bed he will already have the money in the bank.

The stupidity in this thread knows no limits. So you think Franklin, the AD, the BOT and the compensation committee can negotiate a contract extension in a week? 1 month after he received a raise and an extension?

no you are right. But he plants a seed in their mind that's for sure. I can't believe this story was just "discovered" bu good journalism from CBS.

Nobody is going to outbid Penn State. Not even the NFL.

BTW, if Narduzzi leaves (never say never), Sumlin would be on my short list.

Texas A&M could. They have an ungodly amount of money. Look at what they are paying Sumlin and the two coordinators. It's insane. I'm not sure even Penn State could match that.

If A&M offered Franklin $10 million, which they wont, PSU would match.

Something people are forgetting is that billionaire terry pegula (bills-sabres owner) may be willing to make sure franklin stays put st psu. He blew 80 mil to build the ice rink there

Something people are forgetting is that billionaire terry pegula (bills-sabres owner) may be willing to make sure franklin stays put st psu. He blew 80 mil to build the ice rink there

That was just their payoff for making him a billionaire.

I have a feeling A&M will not hire another minority coach if they dispose of Sumlin...after all, Richard Spencer's visit was cancelled after pressure from all sides...but if Sumlin can avoid another late-season collapse, he'll be praised and secure. .

I have a feeling A&M will not hire another minority coach if they dispose of Sumlin...after all, Richard Spencer's visit was cancelled after pressure from all sides...but if Sumlin can avoid another late-season collapse, he'll be praised and secure. .

I think the opposite actually, he needs to finish very strong or he’s gone.

Did Charlie Strong the fired Texas coach recieve a similar letter?
I hope the wife saved a copy of the singular letter?
Anything that works to deflect coaching failure! The ist labels have become very popular these days and are overused!

She posted it on the internet.

Texas A&M could. They have an ungodly amount of money. Look at what they are paying Sumlin and the two coordinators. It's insane. I'm not sure even Penn State could match that.
You might be right.....
Helps when your campus sits on oil deposits.

Hey did Pitt’s Geology Dept ever check what’s below Oakland other than more rubbish...

I just can't see James from state college having any interest in this job right now.

I know it would break your blue & white heart if he left, but I think this was probably leaked by Franklin's agent during a bye week to get even more money out of the cult prior to the brutal 3 game stretch they are facing. That way if he craps the bed he will already have the money in the bank.

Come one man! Brutal 3 game stretch? This is the almighty PSU we're talking about here; a team at the top of the best conference in the country!

If PSU is the team they say think they are, there should be no issues beating a team who doesn't know what a forward pass is (Michigan), one who was outclassed at home by OU (OSU), and another who was outclassed at home by ND (MSU).

YES! This is his dream job! The school he would be going to doesn't like black coaches! Clearly you are correct! Hey wait! They have a black coach right now!!!! How did that happen?!?!?! Where's the dislike???

Nitter logic at its finest...

Franklin's introductory speech upon taking the A&M job: "I am so honored to be named the head football coach at Texas A&M University. Ever since I was a kid in Stroudsburg, PA I dreamed of owning a collie like our A&M's beloved Reveille. I used to whistle the Aggie War Hymn on the school bus, and I dressed up in a uniform and a sword like the Aggie cadets. After school I would lead Yell Practice, and every Friday I built a bonfire in the empty lot out back and pretended to be John David Crow running for touchdowns....We are going to dominate the state of Texas in recruiting, and the Southeastern Conference will tremble at the sound of our name."

First of all, Franklin is not going to A&M. But say if he did. Here is the difference between the Pennsylvania State University and the University of Pittsburgh. At least where football is concerned.

Pitt dabbles in football and revels in our history of having some of the finest players in the sports history walk our hallowed halls. That's pretty much good enough. Penn State is identified with and by their football program. It is the heartbeat of central PA.

If Pat Narduzzi would leave tomorrow, most like Pitt's next coach would be some hot coordinator, or even because of frustration a "Pittsburgh" guy. That's pretty much the list.

If James Franklin would leave tomorrow, PSU is not looking at the Coordinator Du Jour. And despite some internal Paterno sycophants, they will not be looking for a PSU guy. They will go out and hire a Justin Fuentes. Because they can.

That is why I cringe and laugh when I see Pitt fans blast PSU as not being a major football program. Yes they are. Money and support talks. They are a power broker.

First of all, Franklin is not going to A&M. But say if he did. Here is the difference between the Pennsylvania State University and the University of Pittsburgh. At least where football is concerned.

Pitt dabbles in football and revels in our history of having some of the finest players in the sports history walk our hallowed halls. That's pretty much good enough. Penn State is identified with and by their football program. It is the heartbeat of central PA.

If Pat Narduzzi would leave tomorrow, most like Pitt's next coach would be some hot coordinator, or even because of frustration a "Pittsburgh" guy. That's pretty much the list.

If James Franklin would leave tomorrow, PSU is not looking at the Coordinator Du Jour. And despite some internal Paterno sycophants, they will not be looking for a PSU guy. They will go out and hire a Justin Fuentes. Because they can.

That is why I cringe and laugh when I see Pitt fans blast PSU as not being a major football program. Yes they are. Money and support talks. They are a power broker.

FWIW, O'Brien was an offensive coordinator at Duke before he went to the Patriots as an offensive assistant. Franklin was an OC at K State prior to going to Vanderbilt where he finished with a 24-15 record over a 3 year period. They haven't exactly ripped away permier HCs from other P5 programs with their last 2 hires.

Come one man! Brutal 3 game stretch? This is the almighty PSU we're talking about here; a team at the top of the best conference in the country!

If PSU is the team they say think they are, there should be no issues beating a team who doesn't know what a forward pass is (Michigan), one who was outclassed at home by OU (OSU), and another who was outclassed at home by ND (MSU).

Yeah, not so brutal a stretch.

OSU will be favored to win that game and probably will, but it remains to be seen if Michigan can play well without Speight and Michigan St just isn’t that good.

Reactions: VAPITTALUM
Yeah, not so brutal a stretch.

OSU will be favored to win that game and probably will, but it remains to be seen if Michigan can play well without Speight and Michigan St just isn’t that good.

Agreed. PITT went through a worse stretch with PSU, OK State, and GT.

FWIW, O'Brien was an offensive coordinator at Duke before he went to the Patriots as an offensive assistant. Franklin was an OC at K State prior to going to Vanderbilt where he finished with a 24-15 record over a 3 year period. They haven't exactly ripped away permier HCs from other P5 programs with their last 2 hires.

But both those guys were considered stars.
Franklin I believe was named the "coach in waiting" at MD. And while his record at Vandy wasn't great, it was great relative to Vandy. He was one of the hottest names in college football at the time and could have chosen from many big time P5 schools.
O'Brien was regarded as a future NFL star. Most were shocked he took the Penn State job because he seemed like such a lock to be an NFL head coach within the next few years
So it's not like they were bargain basement hunting.

YES! This is his dream job! The school he would be going to doesn't like black coaches! Clearly you are correct! Hey wait! They have a black coach right now!!!! How did that happen?!?!?! Where's the dislike???

Nitter logic at its finest...
they are clearly Coachwhoblowsa44-10leadaphobists out there....disgusting.

Much more likely that this was planted by some other Big Ten school to disrupt recruiting momentum. As good a job as he's done, he just signed an extension, and I don't see PSU giving him even more money. He doesn't even seem to want more money all that much; he seems fixated on getting more money for his facilities and for his assistants.

And really, what black coach is going to A&M after the way they are treating Sumlin down there? You'd have to be a masochist.

This is almost certainly just a rumor. And it wouldn't surprise me if it was started by Franklin himself. Regardless of who started it, he's at his peak right now, and he is taking full advantage of that and trying to milk that university for even more money than he's already gotten them to commit.

And of course, they are more than happy to oblige.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT