ADVERTISEMENT

ACC: No to Playoff expansion right now

Teel is the best. I am reading this as Phillips wants there to be regulation for their NIL deals before agreeing to anything. Though this wasn't said, I cant imagine the ACC is too happy about booster groups paying players now though UNC and Miami have started that.
David Teel is great you think Pittsburgh print could have someone like him? The last of the Pittsburgh print writers that was great was Cope. Myron Cope is who print writers should try and be instead we have a bunch of hacks.

David Teel is great you think Pittsburgh print could have someone like him? The last of the Pittsburgh print writers that was great was Cope. Myron Cope is who print writers should try and be instead we have a bunch of hacks.

I'm a little disappointed though that Teel isn't a "regular" on Packer and Durham. He does appearances but not that many. There's some really good ACC writers in the footprint with Joe Giglio and that other NC guy. Well-connected and always with great info.

Reactions: TFBaum
ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips holding a conference call. "The membership of the ACC is very much aligned in its position that now is not the time to expand the college football playoff." He points to other issues that are more important to be addressed -- NIL, Alston, NCAA gov.

#ACC commissioner Jim Phillips says “it’s absolutely positive not true” that the league’s position on the CFP/eight teams is tied to trying to force Notre Dame to join ACC in football.

ACC supports expansion but there are more important matters, such as NCAA transformation, transfer portal, NIL, etc. - ACC is no longer tied to an 8-team model - ACC presidents/ADs/coaches believe 12-team playoff extends the season too much.
"I think you can see the wear and tear. These are college students. I understand the excitement of an expanded Playoff, but these are college students. We have a responsibility to listen to them and bring them into part of where we go into the future"

Phillips on being labeled the bad guy here: "I also understand in that room there hasn't been agreement on a bunch of things. It's fine, relative to how it's portrayed. I know that that's not necessarily the case. That is not just the ACC. There's issues everyone has."
@PeteThamel
It does appear that Jim Phillips is clueless. He speaks as if adding additional playoff teams to the CFP is a bad thing. In reality, the addition of more teams into the playoff structure, makes the entire CFP better. More teams involved, creates more money for ALL of college football. not just the Power 5 schools, but EVERYONE.
Also, I love then a person like Mr. Phillips uses the words "college students" to try and prove his point. Is he aware that schools that play football at the NCAA Division II and III levels? Are those football players not "student athletes" as well? Does the leadership of those schools not care about their "student athletes"???
People like Mr. Phillips are the problem with college football. Their narrow minded thinking is based purely upon greed. The Power 5 schools do not want to share the money that the current system brings into their pockets. The entire process should be opened up to all NCAA D-I FBS teams, ALL of them.
I wonder if Mr. Phillips has the same opinion on the NCAA March Madness system? I mean, teams making the Final 4, are playing the sport for over 6 months...are these athletes considered to be "college students" as well?
A 16 team playoff format that involves every NCAA D-I FBS Conference Champions (10) and 6 "wild card teams" gives ALL involved an opportunity to become an NCAA Champion. They could open the bidding up for the bowl games and involve the top 15 highest bidding bowl games to be the sites of the playoff games.
Either shut down March Madness or devise a CFP structure that gives ALL schools a chance to play for a national title.
Unfortunately for college football fans, greed WILL ultimately control the answer.

Reactions: Gep Dawg
It does appear that Jim Phillips is clueless. He speaks as if adding additional playoff teams to the CFP is a bad thing. In reality, the addition of more teams into the playoff structure, makes the entire CFP better. More teams involved, creates more money for ALL of college football. not just the Power 5 schools, but EVERYONE.
Also, I love then a person like Mr. Phillips uses the words "college students" to try and prove his point. Is he aware that schools that play football at the NCAA Division II and III levels? Are those football players not "student athletes" as well? Does the leadership of those schools not care about their "student athletes"???
People like Mr. Phillips are the problem with college football. Their narrow minded thinking is based purely upon greed. The Power 5 schools do not want to share the money that the current system brings into their pockets. The entire process should be opened up to all NCAA D-I FBS teams, ALL of them.
I wonder if Mr. Phillips has the same opinion on the NCAA March Madness system? I mean, teams making the Final 4, are playing the sport for over 6 months...are these athletes considered to be "college students" as well?
A 16 team playoff format that involves every NCAA D-I FBS Conference Champions (10) and 6 "wild card teams" gives ALL involved an opportunity to become an NCAA Champion. They could open the bidding up for the bowl games and involve the top 15 highest bidding bowl games to be the sites of the playoff games.
Either shut down March Madness or devise a CFP structure that gives ALL schools a chance to play for a national title.
Unfortunately for college football fans, greed WILL ultimately control the answer.

As I said I think this is simply a matter of the ACC saying they aren't doing anything until NIL gets regulated.

But changes to the CFP after the original contract require a more nebulous consensus rather than unanimity, and Phillips said he is “sure” the playoff will expand then.
“You’re talking about two years,” he said of the delay.

I don't think he's clueless but the NIL seems to be a worry. It’s almost like ok we’ll expand with no limit on conf bids but give us lower P5 a salary cap on the NIL.

If OSU was cool with not playing, the Big Ten wouldn't have played. To be fair, Ohio State is an SEC team playing in the Big Ten.

That's great, but it's not the argument. The B10 didn't reverse course because of OSU. In fact, they cancelled the season when the coaches at OSU, Mich, PSU, and Nebraska didn't want them to.

They only changed course when nobody but the P12 followed their lead. They didn't want to get left out.

Reactions: ThePanthers
That's great, but it's not the argument. The B10 didn't reverse course because of OSU. In fact, they cancelled the season when the coaches at OSU, Mich, PSU, and Nebraska didn't want them to.

They only changed course when nobody but the P12 followed their lead. They didn't want to get left out.

You act as if both things can’t be true.

When the B1G originally announced that they were not playing (remember, no one had made an announcement at that point…B1G was the first), Ohio St/Gene Smith was very reluctant to the conference making an announcement as were other institutions in that conference.

Gene Smith totally understood that the other conferences were likely not to follow because Bob Bowlsby and Greg Sankey said that they were going to “gather more info”. TOSU and a couple others understood this. It was a decision that was made primarily by presidents of B1G non-football-centric institutions.

The B1G (and PAC) were comfortable with not playing. It was TOSU leading the charge with support from Iowa and Nebraska. What TOSU says goes.

When the B1G originally announced that they were not playing (remember, no one had made an announcement at that point…B1G was the first), Ohio St/Gene Smith was very reluctant to the conference making an announcement as were other institutions in that conference.

Gene Smith totally understood that the other conferences were likely not to follow because Bob Bowlsby and Greg Sankey said that they were going to “gather more info”. TOSU and a couple others understood this. It was a decision that was made primarily by presidents of B1G non-football-centric institutions.

The B1G (and PAC) were comfortable with not playing. It was TOSU leading the charge with support from Iowa and Nebraska. What TOSU says goes.

This isn't hard. If the SEC and ACC don't play, neither does the B1G. It doesn't matter what OSU says.

OSU's say couldn't stop them from prematurely making a stupid decision and cancelling the season. That's how far OSU's say goes.

He said he doesn't disagree with expansion, just that other things need to be worked out first. There is a lot floating out there right now that is like the wild wild west and more urgent.

They have 2 years until they start talking next cfp contract. Focus these next 2 years on nil, ncaa governance, Alston, etc. Then focus on the next iteration of the cfp.

You going to represent Geno Smith at his DUI?

But changes to the CFP after the original contract require a more nebulous consensus rather than unanimity, and Phillips said he is “sure” the playoff will expand then.
“You’re talking about two years,” he said of the delay.

I don't think he's clueless but the NIL seems to be a worry. It’s almost like ok we’ll expand with no limit on conf bids but give us lower P5 a salary cap on the NIL.

Yea pretty much. I think the ACC wants a salary cap first before they agree to allow all kinds of SEC millionaire athletes in the playoff

I think it's pretty simple. The ACC wants expansion put off until the current contract expires, so that the television contract goes out for bids from all the networks/streamers, as opposed to expanding now and having ESPN/ABC with the exclusive rights to negotiate a new deal.

If you want to maximize the money this is going to make then expanding right now is stupid. Really, really stupid.

I'm already upset that Pitt wasn't in the playoff this year. No one has any idea if the top 2 schools played in the national championship because there isn't a lot to compare. Pitt beat Clemson who barely lost to Georgia who then lost to Alabama in SEC Championship game and then beat that same Alabama team 4 weeks later for the National Championship.

What does it mean? Who knows??!

Yeah we lost to Western Michigan early on. But at the end of the season we were one of the Top 6-8 teams in the country according to every computer poll. Of course we don't even use computers or polls to determine who makes a small 4 man field. Just a small group of insiders who are obviously influenced by big money more than anything. At the end of the Day I have no idea of a 1 loss Michigan team is any better or worse than a 2 loss Pitt team.

That's why you go 12,14, or 16 team playoff. You have all 10 conference champ qualifiers and either 2, 4, or 6 wildcard teams. At least settle on the field at the end of the season. That's how we do it in every other sport. It shouldn't be any different here. Yes the SEC might lose a little power and prestige. But it's the best for the entire sport and more lucrative in the end.

As I said I think this is simply a matter of the ACC saying they aren't doing anything until NIL gets regulated.
Address ALL of the issues. The NIL is a joke and they have now opened the doors to the hen house. Just wait, if Deion Snaders can pull off the crap he did at Jackson State, WAIT until a Power 5 school with some big financial backers (Alabama) opens it's wallet.

He said he doesn't disagree with expansion, just that other things need to be worked out first. There is a lot floating out there right now that is like the wild wild west and more urgent.

They have 2 years until they start talking next cfp contract. Focus these next 2 years on nil, ncaa governance, Alston, etc. Then focus on the next iteration of the cfp.
Are these people unable to multi-task? Big time college football is a cesspool and needs to undergo huge changes. The problem is, the people in charge of it do not want anything to change because the way the system is set-up right now, they benefit the most from it.

Address ALL of the issues. The NIL is a joke and they have now opened the doors to the hen house. Just wait, if Deion Snaders can pull off the crap he did at Jackson State, WAIT until a Power 5 school with some big financial backers (Alabama) opens it's wallet.

All yes, but I think the NIL thing is the biggie. They don't want a system where the SEC has 85 players making 6 figures a year because that's where this is going

I commend the ACC for holding their ground and keeping it at 4 for a lttle longer.

Reward those teams that have had the most success an opportunity to be called champs. Those that have lost multiple times will continue to eliminate themselves through their own failures.

You gave a nice speech on the surface but in reality, you as a fan, show your greed...on the fan's side. A 16 team playoff at the top level isn't the same as what they do at the lower levels. When do these guys have time off? How do they avoid playing during the holidays and not extend the playoffs into the second semester? There's a ton of logistics involved at the top level the fans don't want to engage in.

Are these people unable to multi-task? Big time college football is a cesspool and needs to undergo huge changes. The problem is, the people in charge of it do not want anything to change because the way the system is set-up right now, they benefit the most from it.
But the changes are here and are real and they are working through it. People keep saying multi task but look outside the list of the cfp. They are multi tasking.

All yes, but I think the NIL thing is the biggie. They don't want a system where the SEC has 85 players making 6 figures a year because that's where this is going
Well, that cat has been let out of the bag already. Besides, I don't think that each SEC team will have 85 players making 6 figures a year. I am pretty sure that most SEC teams will have at least 10-12 players who are making a Million or more each year. The remaining 75 or so onn each roster will get the 6 figure amount you mentioned.

You gave a nice speech on the surface but in reality, you as a fan, show your greed...on the fan's side. A 16 team playoff at the top level isn't the same as what they do at the lower levels. When do these guys have time off? How do they avoid playing during the holidays and not extend the playoffs into the second semester? There's a ton of logistics involved at the top level the fans don't want to engage in.
Sorry my friend, but I am not being "greedy". All I am asking is to have system that determines the champion ON THE FIELD, not by a bunch of over paid educators or bloated media people. How many other NCAA sports determine a champion that way?
You mentioned holidays and playing into a second semester, well I ask you, doesn't that happen now? Didn't Georgia, Alabama, Cincinnati and Michigan all practice the entire month of December? Of course they did and you have to be aware of that.
If your issue is the second semester, then start the season in August when most schools begin and end by the end of December. There are 17 weeks between The first week of September and the last week of the year. Surely, some of these so-called "educators" can figure out a way to make a schedule fit within that time frame. Take away that useless game that all of the FBS schools use as a glorified scrimmage each year and you've freed up another week. It can be done, it SHOULD be done.
You suggest that there is a difference between the the sport of football that is played at the different NCAA levels. What is that difference? Please don't mention academics because I'm pretty sire that the students athletes playing at the NCAA D II and III levels take the exact same courses towards their degrees as the D_I athletes do. In fact, I'd be willing to bet you that the football players at those lower levels do better academically when compared with those at the FBS level.
Lastly, the logistics can be done with little effort. If they pay me enough, I'll figure it out myself.

All I am asking is to have system that determines the champion ON THE FIELD, not by a bunch of over paid educators or bloated media people. How many other NCAA sports determine a champion that way?

Doesn't every NCAA sport with a post season playoff to determine a champion (read, all of them) use a system that has a bunch of over paid educators determining the field and the brackets?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT