ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Tourney sites

TIGER-PAUL

Athletic Director
Jan 14, 2005
The site of the #ACCTourney is SET for the next FOUR years:
2019 – Spectrum Center; Charlotte, N.C.
2020 – Greensboro Coliseum; Greensboro, N.C.
2021 – Capital One Arena; Washington, D.C.
2022 – Barclays Center; Brooklyn, N.Y.

The site of the #ACCTourney is SET for the next FOUR years:
2019 – Spectrum Center; Charlotte, N.C.
2020 – Greensboro Coliseum; Greensboro, N.C.
2021 – Capital One Arena; Washington, D.C.
2022 – Barclays Center; Brooklyn, N.Y.

No surprise. Maybe they'll just rotate these 4 sites.

I would have liked to see MSG but with a Tuesday final to push it a little later than what the Big Ten did. A wrap-around weekend
Friday: 3 1st Round games
Saturday: 4 2nd Round games
Sunday: 4 quarterfinals
Monday: Semis
Tuesday: Final
Wednesday: Big East 1st Round

I wonder how much consideration cities like Philly, VB (new NBA-esque arena), Atlanta, and Miami were given

One would think next the round will have only one NC location in Charlotte. Atlanta should be the added, imo.

I would have liked to see MSG but with a Tuesday final to push it a little later than what the Big Ten did. A wrap-around weekend

I wonder how much consideration cities like Philly, VB (new NBA-esque arena), Atlanta, and Miami were given

Why Philly? There's no ACC school there. (But one that should be.)

It's all about money and fannies in seats. Brooklyn has worked well the past two years. The final in 2017 was Duke vs. Notre Dame. Both have significant fan and/or alumni bases in the NYC area. The arena was full. In 2018, it was UVa vs. UNC. Again, Virginia has a significant alumni presence in the metropolitan area, and Carolina travels exceptionally well. The arena was full. By contrast, in 2012, the game was in Atlanta pitting FSU against UNC. Officially, the game was a sell out. However, FSU doesn't travel that well for basketball, and there were empty seats. In the old ACC, nearly all the schools were in comfortable driving distance to the North Carolina sites. Fans could buy tickets to the final easily if their team was in it. I imagine the ACC's PTB will continue to love NYC until there is a final that matches BC against Wake or Clemson against FSU. Far-fetched at the moment, but things change. Those games would pack the Greensboro Coliseum.

It's all about money and fannies in seats. Brooklyn has worked well the past two years. The final in 2017 was Duke vs. Notre Dame. Both have significant fan and/or alumni bases in the NYC area. The arena was full. In 2018, it was UVa vs. UNC. Again, Virginia has a significant alumni presence in the metropolitan area, and Carolina travels exceptionally well. The arena was full. By contrast, in 2012, the game was in Atlanta pitting FSU against UNC. Officially, the game was a sell out. However, FSU doesn't travel that well for basketball, and there were empty seats. In the old ACC, nearly all the schools were in comfortable driving distance to the North Carolina sites. Fans could buy tickets to the final easily if their team was in it. I imagine the ACC's PTB will continue to love NYC until there is a final that matches BC against Wake or Clemson against FSU. Far-fetched at the moment, but things change. Those games would pack the Greensboro Coliseum.

The difference between NYC and other cities is basketball is part of the culture there so while a BC vs Wake final would be "sold-out," I doubt you'd see any more than a couple thousand empties. New Yorkers would buy the cheapo tickets on Stub and head over.

I imagine the ACC's PTB will continue to love NYC until there is a final that matches BC against Wake

If they were playing the ACC tournament in Greensboro this year and the final was BC versus Wake there would be empty seats as far as the eye could see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT