ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Volleyball Standings

UNC had Florida State on the ropes today up 2-0 and got reverse swept. Oh well, better for Pitt’s RPI with FSU winning, even if it means we split the ACC title

UNC had Florida State on the ropes today up 2-0 and got reverse swept. Oh well, better for Pitt’s RPI with FSU winning, even if it means we split the ACC title
Are you sure we share the title? I'm under the impression that FSU wins the tie breaker and they will be declared the ACC champion.

Are you sure we share the title? I'm under the impression that FSU wins the tie breaker and they will be declared the ACC champion.
I seem to remember from past years that the ACC does not have tiebreakers for the regular season. They would recognize both schools as "Co-Champions".

That may have since changed, but that is what I recall. I did not research it before this reply.

Reactions: chrisran24
I seem to remember from past years that the ACC does not have tiebreakers for the regular season. They would recognize both schools as "Co-Champions".

That may have since changed, but that is what I recall. I did not research it before this reply.
Interesting.....last year that was true for sure....Pitt and Louisville were co-champs and they split their season matches....one each. This year it's looking like the situation will be the same with Pitt and Florida State. Who will get the automatic bid to the tournament as the ACC champion. I'm guessing it will be FSU because they beat us. We'll know soon enough.

Yep. A banner is a banner!!

Unless they have changed it, teams tied at the top of the standings are declared co-champions. In 2017 Pitt and Louisville were both 18-2 in conference. They only played one time that season, a 3-2 win for Louisville in Louisville. But the teams are both listed as champions by the ACC.

The automatic bid to the NCAA tournament is kind of meaningless, because both schools are going to make it and there is no difference between an automatic qualifier and an at large team when they seed the field.

Reactions: chrisran24
Unless they have changed it, teams tied at the top of the standings are declared co-champions. In 2017 Pitt and Louisville were both 18-2 in conference. They only played one time that season, a 3-2 win for Louisville in Louisville. But the teams are both listed as champions by the ACC.

The automatic bid to the NCAA tournament is kind of meaningless, because both schools are going to make it and there is no difference between an automatic qualifier and an at large team when they seed the field.
This confirms my understanding of both teams being regarded as "Co-Champions", if their conference records are tied.

Thanks...

This confirms my understanding of both teams being regarded as "Co-Champions", if their conference records are tied.

Thanks...
Sounds good to me. During the UNC - FSU match today....the announcers were making a big deal about FSU needing to win to be declared the ACC champion due to their tie breaker with Pitt. The ACC should make an effort to get this straight with the announcers before games are aired.

Sounds good to me. During the UNC - FSU match today....the announcers were making a big deal about FSU needing to win to be declared the ACC champion due to their tie breaker with Pitt. The ACC should make an effort to get this straight with the announcers before games are aired.
My understanding is that FSU would be awarded the automatic bid to the NCAA Tounament based on their head-to-head victory over Pitt.

However, both will hang an ACC championship banner.

Beat Miami!!

My understanding is that FSU would be awarded the automatic bid to the NCAA Tounament based on their head-to-head victory over Pitt.

However, both will hang an ACC championship banner.

Beat Miami!!
Yes indeed....and I will be there....last home game before the tournament.....day before Thanksgiving....gobble, gobble, etc. etc.

Reactions: Chaos and HOF Coach
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT