ADVERTISEMENT

Addison portal update

Where ever addison ends up, the team will not be as good as what most people think. Bringing in someone like addison and new found "diva" status for one year will ruin that teams locker room.
Give me a group of players who want to play for the school on the front of that jersey and you will have a team that wants to win.
Those days are over. Any shred of the quaint notions of school pride and team over self that remained before NIL and unfettered transfers are now officially dead and gone.

You’re not wrong at all. Of course, we had to be the subject of it all… go figure!
The price of being a middle tier P5 program having an elite skill player at this particular point in time. You don’t see anyone trying to poach guys from OSU, Michigan, Bama, USC, TX etc. Pitt looks like an easy mark for the blue blood monied class in college athletics. And Pitt isn’t the only one in that position-it’s the majority of the P5. We just happen to have one of the 2-3 best WRs in the country that the big boys all want right now. Hopefully some good comes of this case and it forces some significant and urgent changes.

Reactions: TD_6082
The price of being a middle tier P5 program having an elite skill player at this particular point in time. You don’t see anyone trying to poach guys from OSU, Michigan, Bama, USC, TX etc. Pitt looks like an easy mark for the blue blood monied class in college athletics. And Pitt isn’t the only one in that position-it’s the majority of the P5. We just happen to have one of the 2-3 best WRs in the country that the big boys all want right now. Hopefully some good comes of this case and it forces some significant and urgent changes.
Actually USC tried poaching a player from Texas. Big-name schools will poach from other big-name schools if they can pull it off.

Actually USC tried poaching a player from Texas. Big-name schools will poach from other big-name schools if they can pull it off.
Sure. It’s just a lot harder to do between schools with relatively equivalent program status and resource level.

Sure. It’s just a lot harder to do between schools with relatively equivalent program status and resource level.
All in all , and I don't care the rules , it stinks to the high heaven .
College sports are a shame .. We all knew it was coming . Now it's here .. And it stinks ..

Reactions: jromeo
Not really - Schools will be salivating to weaken their rival if they are down and have an unstable coaching situation.

The Addison case will be the catalyst for sweeping changes to NIL and transfer rules. You heard it here first. The foundations are shaking, the internet is melting and the suits are scrambling as we speak because of this very case. Coaches and administrators are terrified of it inevitably happening to their programs. It’s becoming the biggest story in sports so far this year.... besides Kenny's hand size..

Fixed

• Haha
Reactions: Parkview57
Would it even be good for the team if he came back or would it create too much toxicity in the locker room?

Would it even be good for the team if he came back or would it create too much toxicity in the locker room?
If I were Duz ? Id bench him for the first 6 games .. Better yet , not even take him back .. Screw him .. We have plenty of depth at that position ..
It would certainly create toxicity in the stands .. The stain is there , screw him ...

Hail to Pitt .. Unless someone makes me a better offer ...
F loyalty .. College football has died ....
Good nite Dick . Good nite Dan ....

Alabama would be alright with me. Dreaming of LA coeds on Santa Monica Beach; settling for Tuscaloosan inbreds who ain't got no teeth.

Then you are as pathetic as this whole situation ...
The idiot (I would certainly hope) would be drummed out of town ...

Why? Because he wanted to test his "market value" to what else is out there?
That really isn't a foreign concept.

Not sure how you blame him, tbh.

Reliable sources tell me he's a Steamfitter back in Hopewell providing for his twin daughters and his son ... A working man for sure ....
He works for his father-in-law's company. Some type of metal work. I feel really bad for the kid unfortunately. He seems to be enjoying his life and his family, coaching elementary basketball but for a player like that to not even sniff the NFL, man, that sucks.

Those days are over. Any shred of the quaint notions of school pride and team over self that remained before NIL and unfettered transfers are now officially dead and gone.

Just another reason to throw the college game to the curb and let it die there.

Why? Because he wanted to test his "market value" to what else is out there?
I honestly can't believe you are stating that in a college football situation ..
You're as excepting and brainwashed as the whores that allowed this in the first place. "Market value" . Good night college football .
You watch .. I won't ..

I honestly can't believe you are stating that in a college football situation ..
You're as excepting and brainwashed as the whores that allowed this in the first place. "Market value" . Good night college football .
You watch .. I won't ..
A college football situation?

Where have you been the last 30 years? In case you haven't noticed, college football has evolved into a pretty big business. A lot of people have been cashing massive checks through the years thanks to college football. Now there is a window of opportunity for a 20 year old to take advantage of it, and you think he should just sit back and think, "nah, I'm good" ??? No way!

I'm not a fan at all of the current chaos, but I don't hold it against Addison that he's taking advantage of it.

I expect (and hope) that it will be reined in somewhat from where we are today.

You don’t see anyone trying to poach guys from OSU, Michigan, Bama, USC, TX etc.
As this story gets more national attention, I think unless the NCAA makes a significant change to the portal rules before the end of next season; the majority of underclassmen that performed at a level that would make them attractive to other programs will enter the portal by default.

Two things I didn't know before the Addison situation:

1. Entering the transfer portal allows schools to present you NIL offers that would be available to a player if player decides to transfer to that school without the player signing.

2. Players are allowed to hire agents to field NIL deals for them as long as their agreement with the agent does not guarantee the agent rights to represent the player if they decide to go pro.

I'd guess many players that are incumbent starters did not know these things either; and their coaches certainly weren't going to tell them.

Now that these things are known; I'd expect most talented players to put their name in the portal to test the waters, even if they are at a blue blood and don't intend to transfer. With agents in the mix there are sure to be cases of schools being told a player that entered the portal was offered something that wasn't actually offered in an attempt to extort a deal out of the school the player could transfer from.

In the short term, I think Lincoln Riley broke college football by tampering. Now bad he broke it will all depend on how the NCAA reacts; and their recent track record on these types of things doesn't bode well for them being able to fix it.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
As this story gets more national attention, I think unless the NCAA makes a significant change to the portal rules before the end of next season; the majority of underclassmen that performed at a level that would make them attractive to other programs will enter the portal by default.

Two things I didn't know before the Addison situation:

1. Entering the transfer portal allows schools to present you NIL offers that would be available to a player if player decides to transfer to that school without the player signing.

2. Players are allowed to hire agents to field NIL deals for them as long as their agreement with the agent does not guarantee the agent rights to represent the player if they decide to go pro.

I'd guess many players that are incumbent starters did not know these things either; and their coaches certainly weren't going to tell them.

Now that these things are known; I'd expect most talented players to put their name in the portal to test the waters, even if they are at a blue blood and don't intend to transfer. With agents in the mix there are sure to be cases of schools being told a player that entered the portal was offered something that wasn't actually offered in an attempt to extort a deal out of the school the player could transfer from.

In the short term, I think Lincoln Riley broke college football by tampering. Now bad he broke it will all depend on how the NCAA reacts; and their recent track record on these types of things doesn't bode well for them being able to fix it.

Yep. They would be crazy not to.

This is unsustainable. I'm sure coaches hate it & it's going to quickly turn into a money pit for boosters. I don't even think the blue bloods are going to embrace this for very long. There has to be a lot more regulation in place from where we are now.

As for Lincoln Riley, he isn't the only coach out there that has tampered. It's probably wide spread. But targeting Addison just perfectly exposes the current garbage system. Addison has never voiced any discontentment while at Pitt. He's pretty much had the dream career as a Panther. He's set up to be a 1st rounder and Pitt is a preseason Top 10-25 type team that could challenge again for another ACC Championship, with an outside shot at the playoff. He's already one of the most high profile guys in the game. He has hardware in an ACC ring and Biletnikoff trophy. ...Not a guy that you would expect to look at leaving unless it was totally for a massive payday, which was totally not the intent of the NIL.

Maybe I'm offbase, but I can't see Alabama in a bidding war for his services. Too many super high profile kids on that roster. Half the team would want millions or would be pissed.

He may end up there, but it won't be for the numbers being thrown around to this point.

That’s good to hear.
I may have to back check this one...... I work with some steamfitters out of the Monaca local. This is a skilled craft, and not easy to get into without an industry background or a good word from someone in the trade. If true, good for him. He will have to put in the work, but it's a good living.

He seems to be enjoying his life and his family,
Really, that is all that maters. Some kids, it seems a lot of kids these days really, do not enjoy the grind of competing in sports. Once work becomes the issue for glory, they decline the offer and move on. Basically many will go as far as pure talent takes them and be done with it. Maybe not so different than some of our greats from the past, Mickey Mantle, Paul Waner, Babe Ruth, Bobby Layne, etc., and who knows who else from the past ,were just so gifted, showed up and played with no interest in training, etc.

Really, that is all that maters. Some kids, it seems a lot of kids these days really, do not enjoy the grind of competing in sports. Once work becomes the issue for glory, they decline the offer and move on. Basically many will go as far as pure talent takes them and be done with it. Maybe not so different than some of our greats from the past, Mickey Mantle, Paul Waner, Babe Ruth, Bobby Layne, etc., and who knows who else from the past ,were just so gifted, showed up and played with no interest in training, etc.
Yea, I'm not sure Shell loved football. Didn't seem to like to train. Just something he did because he was good at it.

I would say it's the opposite. we have a huge problem these days with too many kids overtraining. suffering from repetitive use injuries at very young ages.

I wonder if it isn’t high time to bundle all these Addison threads into one and move on, at least until actual verifiable information eventually is released. Like everything it’s just wild speculation and extremist views now, from those who are thrilled he did this “to stick it to The Man” to the other “he’s an ahole / idiot / traitor (take your pick of favorite slur).

The guy is good, it’s a loss, nobody blames him for “getting his”, the process is infuriating, the NCAA sucks for protecting the big programs with this new kind of cheating, it likely portends bad things for Pitt football future (but we still have positives for the upcoming season) … all of it is true, but what the hell can we do about it now. Move on to other news. As prophet Elaine Bennis once said, “here’s to those who wish us well, and those who don’t can go to hell”.

You watch .. I won't ..
This is the reality of the moment. Only a fool wouldn't take advantage of suddenly having a whole bunch of financial and life opportunities that weren't even possible 6 months ago. You don't like it, neither do I. But we're fans, Addison is 20 years old and one of the best college football players in the country. He's doing what he should be doing, as much as it sucks for the sport.

As I said, expect to see significant changes to all of this, and soon. Not soon enough to save Pitt from losing Addison, but maybe soon enough to prevent the next poach attempt on a Pitt player.

Reactions: TD_6082
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT